60 Day Tourist Visa Question

Hi, I am an American citizen, been to Thailand a bunch of times but only on 30 day visas.

The trips were usually 10 day trips with lots of rushing around to get to places, without a whole bunch of time to relax.

I succeded in getting laid off last week, which is what I wanted, I have lots of money and time to do a 6 to 8 week trip through Thailand and Laos. My airline ticket will be for over 30 days, so according to the embassy, I will need a 60 day tourist visa. I can't ever recall having my airline tix checked for my return date before, should I get the 60 day visa or go and pop into Laos and back?

Also, when sending in the passport, (Los Angeles office), is it unreasonable to expect it back in a week if I fed-ex with a return fed ex? When I got a Vietnam visa I fed ex'd it and got it back in under 5 days.

Thanks for this forum, it is wonderful, I'm looking forward to finally seeing the north, and travelling the slow way. :o

Beautiful, I got a pretty good RT deal on tickets taxes and everything was $706, and its on EVA, so I get to use their lounge for free beer and food before flights. I really didn't want to have to take China Air again!

I'm looking forward to leaving all the BS behind here in the states and just chill out in opulent $15 a night hotels!

There is a nice resort in Phuket that is offering airline employees and retirees a great deal, $59 a night and $39 a night for Krabi, might be worth it for some decadence.

About 9 of the 14 years were fun, but I got out with free travel on my airline for life, but thats just USA, Mexico, Canada and Costa Rica. If I was 50, I could still fly to Thailand for $75 each way :o

But, I'm not 50, so thats a good thing

I get the visa back Monday the 14, it pays to call the consulate and fed ex the stuff over with a fed ex return.

Next step is to fed ex to the Bangkok Air office monday or their new ticket coupon thing that they sell oversesas.

You buy coupons at $50 USD a shot and they are good for any flights intra Thailand.

Gonna do BKK to Chiang Mai, BKK to Samui, Samui to Phuket and Phuket to Pattaya and take overland for all the other stuff.

I'm too ###### old to do a bus trip from BKK to Samui. :o