Ekkami Bus Service

Bagwan

On Wednesday my wife and I had appointments at Bumrungrad Hospital in BKK and decided to take the bus there and back. On arriving at Pattaya Nua bus station at about 1145 I purchased two tickets and saw that we were scheduled to depart on the 1220 service. So far, so good. We walked through to the assembly area and I noticed that according to the information board the next service to leave was the 1130. I assumed that the board had developed a fault or the staff could not be bothered to keep their customers up to date with events.

I wanted to know what the situation was but my wife, in her official capacity of personal pacifier counselled me to sit down, shut up and have 'nam keng inside'. I dutifully obeyed and contemplated the scene before me. There were 200-300 hundred people sitting down being super patient and uncomplaining and hopefully, like me, wondering where all the buses had gone to. There wasn't one to be seen.

At 1215, my patience exhausted, I risked the displeasure of her that does the ironing, and approached a female member of the dispatching staff, with not a little trepidation. This lady, of generous proportions who normally displays all the customer care expertise of a guard at Auschwitz, (regular travellers will recognise her), confirmed that the 1130 had not departed, nor had the 1200. It was clear that 1220 service was just a forlorn wish. When I asked what the problem was I was told that there were not any buses available. Not wanting to find myself between a rock and a hard place i.e. redoubtable transport official and my beloved, I refrained from pointing out that that was obvious and consoled myself that she probably knew no more of what was going on than I did. I obtained a refund on our tickets, rescheduled our visit to the hospital and then took ourselves off for a memorable lunch.

This is the first time in my experience that the normally reliable Patty-BKK bus service has come up short of what one expects from a heavily subscribed and seemingly popular facility. Is this a one off or does it happen regularly and I have hitherto been fortunate? Does anybody know what the cause of the problem was - still is?

I was there on wednesday as well . got there about 12:15 and got ticket for 12:40 bus , there were more people than usual hanging about , but i found it okay , when you looked at the board , you just had to wait for your bus time to come up.

This does not happen very often , Could have been due to rain in Bangkok delaying buses scheduled arrival ..

Bus left around 13:15 , so only 40 min delay ,,

Staff were okay , helpful as always , Seemed only Ekkamai was affected .. MoChit and Southern buses looked on Schedule

Thanks for the warning! I'm planning on going to Bangkok today for my birthday.. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they have sorted out the problem now.. I last used their service last Sunday with no problems.

Nice to know this service isn't so reliable after all. I have always relied on them when I needed to get to Bangkok.

I have taken the bus to Ekami three times over the last four years and had no problems. As a backup, you might want to consider taking the Bell Bus that goes to the airport. Then you can make your way over to Ekami or any other BTS terminal without too much bother using the shuttle and the public buses that run from the transportation at the airport. Some time and patience, or a taxi if you have to.

This has happened to me.

Sometimes a backlog of delayed buses happens, but then two buses come in at once and things get back to schedule.

Do what I do: Before buying your ticket, go and check the display boards around the corner, to see if all is running smoothly. Plus try to be flexible for either of the BKK bus stations.

Otherwise, I recommend going for the early morning buses which run-to-time better.

FYI, you can get a minibus from Center condo on Pattaya south road to Bangkok for 150 Baht, they run very often and are very comfortable. My wife uses them everytime she goes on a shopping trip up there.

FYI, you can get a minibus from Center condo on Pattaya south road to Bangkok for 150 Baht, they run very often and are very comfortable. My wife uses them everytime she goes on a shopping trip up there.

Thank you for this info. I shall make enquiries re departure times and drop off points and use the service when it is convenient for me.

Really? A mini bus from center condo? I will keep that one in mind. I have played pool there and seem to recall a gogo on one side and a travel office on the other. Who runs the van? I guess I will just stop in some time and hang around and ask whoever is there.

Thanks for the tip.

I used the Bus to Bangkok yesterday, the bus actually left a few minutes early rather than late.. Same on the way back today. I did notice yesterday at Pattaya Nua station, though, that the big board showing the next bus times where you wait for the bus was off . Only the large clock at the top was on. Maybe something wrong with their system?

Really? A mini bus from center condo? I will keep that one in mind. I have played pool there and seem to recall a gogo on one side and a travel office on the other. Who runs the van? I guess I will just stop in some time and hang around and ask whoever is there.

Thanks for the tip.

A friend of mine took this mini bus today back to bkk, it didnt make it and they had to get a taxi after it crashed, the bigger buses are a lot safer even though they run late and I have had to wait a few times for them at Pattaya Nua for up to 2 hours.

Thanks for the tip.

A friend of mine took this mini bus today back to bkk, it didnt make it and they had to get a taxi after it crashed, the bigger buses are a lot safer even though they run late and I have had to wait a few times for them at Pattaya Nua for up to 2 hours.

There are a few locations in Pattaya for these mini buses.

In front of Tops on 2nd road (probably the most professional of the lot) , in front of Central on 2nd Road and the mentioned location near center condo.

Most let you off at Victory Monument in Bangkok , some go to Central Bang Na

Apart from the bad drivers they tend to be faster and they leave on time, I gave up on the big buses as they are often leaving late or the tickets are sold out way into the next scheduled bus.

Way overdue monopoly this big blue bus service has had for way too long

IMO the bus service from Pattaya Nua to Ekamai is excellent. Having taken the bus at least 40 times in the past 2 and a half years I have NEVER experienced serious problems like the ones described. Been to Bkk twice in the past 2 weeks encountering no problems whatsoever. For 113 - 117 Baht you arrive almost as quickly as any taxi and are not put through the ringer by the often crazy taxi drivers. Thailand has many problems but the bus service linking Pattaya with Bangkok is as efficient and certainly much better value for money than the vast majority of similar services in Europe, North America or Australia.

Thanks for the tip.

I would never take any van to anywhere in Thailand as these stupid drivers drive these minibuses as if they were alone in their private car.

Just read the news and find how often vans crashed from and to Pattaya...

Only big buses seem safe to me, and the one from Pattaya bus station to airport ( 200 thb ) or the one from Jomtien beach road also to airport seem even safer than the usual one to Bkk Ekkamai bus station.

Cheers.

I recall reading a post a couple of days ago about severe flooding in Bangkok following the heavy train, and thought a couple of Sukhumvit Sois were mentioned. Maybe that was the cause of the delay.

Maybe Ekamii Control did not bother telling Pattaya the reason. Even if the buses do not have radio communitactions, the drivers do have mobiles, so could report if they are stuch on route, but maybe it is "Normal" conditions so not bother reporting to Ekamii control.

I used the Tops one last week, reliable and good new air con mini bus to Victory Monument, they leave in theory on the hour, but usually wait until full, maybe 20 minutes later? (I thinkhCentral one is not any longer available, but am happy to be corrected, there is usually someone who has a comment! :)

Best

Paul

There are a few locations in Pattaya for these mini buses.

In front of Tops on 2nd road (probably the most professional of the lot) , in front of Central on 2nd Road and the mentioned location near center condo.

Most let you off at Victory Monument in Bangkok , some go to Central Bang Na

Apart from the bad drivers they tend to be faster and they leave on time, I gave up on the big buses as they are often leaving late or the tickets are sold out way into the next scheduled bus.

Way overdue monopoly this big blue bus service has had for way too long

I used the Tops one last week, reliable and good new air con mini bus to Victory Monument, they leave in theory on the hour, but usually wait until full, maybe 20 minutes later? (I thinkhCentral one is not any longer available, but am happy to be corrected, there is usually someone who has a comment! :)

Best

Paul

Where does this bus park up on 2nd Road. Where do I buy a ticket? You say hourly; from when until when? Thanks.