Learn To Drive In Buriram

mjoc

Does anyone know details of any driving schools ( for car licence ) in Buriram?

there is no such thing as a Driving school In Buriram.Need to change licence?or make a new one ? go top ministry of transport and request.

There is a lady driving instructor in Buriram, as my wife used her about 5 years ago, when the Mrs comes in the office i will ask her if she still has details. if this is for a thai learning to drive.

if you have a western licence, the last post is correct.

Edited by Thaicoon

<br />There is a lady driving instructor in Buriram, as my wife used her about 5 years ago, when the Mrs comes in the office i will ask her if she still has details. if this is for a thai learning to drive.<br /><br />if you have a western licence, the last post is correct.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Thanks for your reply, and sorry I didn't make that clear. I am talking about a Thai learning to drive, I would also be interested to know if the lady driving instructor, if she is still operating, has a car to teach in. I have been using my rental car from time to time to teach my girlfriend how to drive, but I doubt that you could take a driving test in a rental car. Thanks again.

Does anyone know details of any driving schools ( for car licence ) in Buriram?

there is no such thing as a Driving school In Buriram.Need to change licence?or make a new one ? go top ministry of transport and request.

thanks for your reply. I should have made clear that I was enquiring about a new licence for a Thai learner driver.

<br />There is a lady driving instructor in Buriram, as my wife used her about 5 years ago, when the Mrs comes in the office i will ask her if she still has details. if this is for a thai learning to drive.<br /><br />if you have a western licence, the last post is correct.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Thanks for your reply, and sorry I didn't make that clear. I am talking about a Thai learning to drive, I would also be interested to know if the lady driving instructor, if she is still operating, has a car to teach in. I have been using my rental car from time to time to teach my girlfriend how to drive, but I doubt that you could take a driving test in a rental car. Thanks again.

Rental car, friends car, any car, it dosent matter. I think there are even cars for hire there to do the practicle test.

As long as she passes the oral /written test / reaction test / color blindness test...... having a car is the least of your worries.

But first, please teach her or get someone to teach her to DRIVE a car. And impose on her to never answer / talk on her mobile whislt driving.

That way you may save a life........ or 2 :)

Edited by Thai Chi

If you search in the Isaan section on Thai Visa the word "Driving" a post from 2007 will give you information on the moderately priced instructor who does the actual lessons in her two vehicles and will take your Thai wife to the Land Transportation Office for her actual test.

Below are part of the posts I had made in 2007

Great Driving School in Buriram:

The woman owner of Moon River floating restaurant in Satuk recommended a fantastic driving school in Buriram that my wife attended. We checked tonight and the current cost is 2700 baht for 7 two hour driving lessons in a manual transmission single steering wheel truck. The woman owner is "Khun Pad" and her current phone number is 087-874-3169. Her "office" is in a wooden shop house on "Sunthornthep Road" opposite Wat Klang. This is a main road in Buriram. Coming from Satuk we turn RIGHT at the junction with traffic lights at the old abandoned high rise hotel heading into downtown Buriram. You go over the bridge and the shop is on the left side in the FIRST block AFTER the main road you would turn to left go to KFC or Home Mart. Do NOT turn left to go to KFC, go straight and it is in the first block on your left hand side.

This driving teacher will take her student in her truck to the Buriram Land Transport Office and allow them to use her vehicle for the driving test. She gives the student a poor photo copy of a 45 baht driving book. There are various Thai driving books at any Thai book Store. When you go into her shop house you see many photos of previous students. My wife had never driving a car or truck prior to these lessons and it was the best 2700 baht I EVER spent in Thailand. I highly recommend Khun Pad.

Also in 2007 I posted:

"Update on Driving School Teacher: Friday Morning at 8a.m. I was at the Department of Land Transport Office in a small town called Putthaisong which is a pleasant 25 minute drive from Satuk over the Moon River on good roads. I had no problem obtaining a first time one year Motor cycle license since I had all the paperwork including an International Drivers License from AAA in America with 9 months left. The 40 baht (30 baht from a different Doctor) medical exam certificate and all the items as outlined by the Thai Visa Forum web site. My passport is only valid for four more years so the office staff was a bit thrown off and it was determined I could only obtain a ONE year auto drivers license instead of the 5 year license I would obtain if I had more time left on the passport. Not a big deal. I was the first person served at 8:30a.m. when the doors roll open since our former neighbor's nephew was in charge of the office that day. Thailand is a small Country. I had my two drivers licenses to be laminated in the insurance office next door for 10 baht each by 9a.m. I had 4 photos to obtain 2 drivers licenses. In this particular office there was not even an "color blind" eye exam necessary for either the re-newel of the auto license or the new motorcycle license. I had copies of my yellow house book to prove a place of residence.

Also there at 8a.m. was the Buriram Driving School teacher Khun Pad. She had at least one student with her and she seemed to have a real good grasp of that office and staff. My wife had a good conversation with her (no English spoken by the staff in this office other than the "Big Boss" who was not present Friday) and the big question was WHY would she bring a student all the way to Putthaisong instead of the larger and closer office in Buriram? From what I gather they now have a much more challenging DRIVING part of the test in Buriram and the DRIVING part of the test is relatively SIMPLE to pass in Putthaisong. The current prices for driving lessons from Khun Pad who has an office in a wooden shop house in Buriram on Sunthon Tep Road, just past Jira Road near Watt Klang are 2700 baht in the manual transmission very old truck or 3,000 baht in the early 90's Honda AUTOMATIC. It is an extra COST for the teacher to go to the Department of Land Transport, but I can vouch she was there EARLY, had her student(s) early in the line and for many Thai women this Government Office can be an intimidating place to operate. Khun Pad provides the ride to the office, the car to perform the driving test, stays with the student and you do not have to "pay Tea Money" when you are with Khun Pad. Perhaps one of the more current students husbands will know the price of this teacher taking the student to Buriram or Putthaisong license office.

The skipping of the color blind test could be one of the reasons that a Red traffic light can be interpreted as a Green Light for many Thai Drivers.

<br /><br /><br />

Rental car, friends car, any car, it dosent matter. I think there are even cars for hire there to do the practicle test.

As long as she passes the oral /written test / reaction test / color blindness test...... having a car is the least of your worries.

But first, please teach her or get someone to teach her to DRIVE a car. And impose on her to never answer / talk on her mobile whislt driving.

That way you may save a life........ or 2 :)

Thanks a lot for that information.......very useful.

If you search in the Isaan section on Thai Visa the word "Driving" a post from 2007 will give you information on the moderately priced instructor who does the actual lessons in her two vehicles and will take your Thai wife to the Land Transportation Office for her actual test.

Below are part of the posts I had made in 2007

Great Driving School in Buriram:

The woman owner of Moon River floating restaurant in Satuk recommended a fantastic driving school in Buriram that my wife attended. We checked tonight and the current cost is 2700 baht for 7 two hour driving lessons in a manual transmission single steering wheel truck. The woman owner is "Khun Pad" and her current phone number is 087-874-3169. Her "office" is in a wooden shop house on "Sunthornthep Road" opposite Wat Klang. This is a main road in Buriram. Coming from Satuk we turn RIGHT at the junction with traffic lights at the old abandoned high rise hotel heading into downtown Buriram. You go over the bridge and the shop is on the left side in the FIRST block AFTER the main road you would turn to left go to KFC or Home Mart. Do NOT turn left to go to KFC, go straight and it is in the first block on your left hand side.

This driving teacher will take her student in her truck to the Buriram Land Transport Office and allow them to use her vehicle for the driving test. She gives the student a poor photo copy of a 45 baht driving book. There are various Thai driving books at any Thai book Store. When you go into her shop house you see many photos of previous students. My wife had never driving a car or truck prior to these lessons and it was the best 2700 baht I EVER spent in Thailand. I highly recommend Khun Pad.

Also in 2007 I posted:

"Update on Driving School Teacher: Friday Morning at 8a.m. I was at the Department of Land Transport Office in a small town called Putthaisong which is a pleasant 25 minute drive from Satuk over the Moon River on good roads. I had no problem obtaining a first time one year Motor cycle license since I had all the paperwork including an International Drivers License from AAA in America with 9 months left. The 40 baht (30 baht from a different Doctor) medical exam certificate and all the items as outlined by the Thai Visa Forum web site. My passport is only valid for four more years so the office staff was a bit thrown off and it was determined I could only obtain a ONE year auto drivers license instead of the 5 year license I would obtain if I had more time left on the passport. Not a big deal. I was the first person served at 8:30a.m. when the doors roll open since our former neighbor's nephew was in charge of the office that day. Thailand is a small Country. I had my two drivers licenses to be laminated in the insurance office next door for 10 baht each by 9a.m. I had 4 photos to obtain 2 drivers licenses. In this particular office there was not even an "color blind" eye exam necessary for either the re-newel of the auto license or the new motorcycle license. I had copies of my yellow house book to prove a place of residence.

Also there at 8a.m. was the Buriram Driving School teacher Khun Pad. She had at least one student with her and she seemed to have a real good grasp of that office and staff. My wife had a good conversation with her (no English spoken by the staff in this office other than the "Big Boss" who was not present Friday) and the big question was WHY would she bring a student all the way to Putthaisong instead of the larger and closer office in Buriram? From what I gather they now have a much more challenging DRIVING part of the test in Buriram and the DRIVING part of the test is relatively SIMPLE to pass in Putthaisong. The current prices for driving lessons from Khun Pad who has an office in a wooden shop house in Buriram on Sunthon Tep Road, just past Jira Road near Watt Klang are 2700 baht in the manual transmission very old truck or 3,000 baht in the early 90's Honda AUTOMATIC. It is an extra COST for the teacher to go to the Department of Land Transport, but I can vouch she was there EARLY, had her student(s) early in the line and for many Thai women this Government Office can be an intimidating place to operate. Khun Pad provides the ride to the office, the car to perform the driving test, stays with the student and you do not have to "pay Tea Money" when you are with Khun Pad. Perhaps one of the more current students husbands will know the price of this teacher taking the student to Buriram or Putthaisong license office.

The skipping of the color blind test could be one of the reasons that a Red traffic light can be interpreted as a Green Light for many Thai Drivers.

Thanks so much for the very comprehensive post in reply, I will follow up that information, it seems very promising.

:) My wife used this lady for her driving lessons and after 3 lessons she was off for her test which she passed.The fee was 3000 baht.The lady turned up at the driving centre on the day of the test which seeme to take at least 6 hrs in the car which is an Toyota Auto in need of a complete overhall in my opinion and job done all she had to do was get 20 questions correct out of 25,drive around a go-cart course and walked away with a licence.

Easy money for the driving instructor but my wife had no road sense and this told with 3 minor accidents in the first year.

My wife used this lady about 1 1/2 years ago. Had several lessons which although I didnt see, appeared to be done in a safe manner. She was taken to the dead ground out by the new ring road and did the learning to use a car there before moving on to the actual road part. They went up to the driving school at Phutthaisong as I think she has a contact up there. My missus passed the driving part but failed the written bit by 1 question but a small contribution helped it through. I now drive a lot with my missus and find her just fine. Was much easier on the both of us to have a Thai teach her how to operate a car rather than doing it myself in my own car.

That is her husband's phone number.

Note: A Thai man who owns a small bakery in Satuk who had lived many years ago in London and Los Angeles is currently paying to send his wife to "Khun Pad" to learn to drive on the manual transmission older truck. This Thai man said it was a far better process for his Thai wife to learn from a Thai driving instructor instead of he and his wife having arguments if he attempted to teach her to drive.

:) My wife used this lady for her driving lessons and after 3 lessons she was off for her test which she passed.The fee was 3000 baht.The lady turned up at the driving centre on the day of the test which seeme to take at least 6 hrs in the car which is an Toyota Auto in need of a complete overhall in my opinion and job done all she had to do was get 20 questions correct out of 25,drive around a go-cart course and walked away with a licence.

Easy money for the driving instructor but my wife had no road sense and this told with 3 minor accidents in the first year.

Thanks a lot for your reply, much appreciated.

My wife used this lady about 1 1/2 years ago. Had several lessons which although I didnt see, appeared to be done in a safe manner. She was taken to the dead ground out by the new ring road and did the learning to use a car there before moving on to the actual road part. They went up to the driving school at Phutthaisong as I think she has a contact up there. My missus passed the driving part but failed the written bit by 1 question but a small contribution helped it through. I now drive a lot with my missus and find her just fine. Was much easier on the both of us to have a Thai teach her how to operate a car rather than doing it myself in my own car.

Thanks a lot for your reply, much appreciated.