Locked Up For Stealing Donut

saintofsilence

Agreed, and the tourists are easy targets. When the supply of tourists dry up, they will move to the next easiest targets - Ex Pats.

But these 2 cases in discussion were not just hapless tourists walking into a sting. Somehow how they managed to do something to cause a reaction from native Thais that involved the Police.

Ask yourself and answer honestly do you think innocent tourists get stung for beer mats in bags or eating donuts?

If you are an innocent tourist doing innocent touristy things in the LoS you are hardly likely to invoke a reaction from the long arm of the law.

Have you been involved in any sting cases or anyone you know from your time here? I certainly don't know anyone only from what i read about on the net in the newspapers.

Maybe i am an outstanding citizen afterall :)

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed, and the tourists are easy targets. When the supply of tourists dry up, they will move to the next easiest targets - Ex Pats.

But these 2 cases in discussion were not just hapless tourists walking into a sting. Somehow how they managed to do something to cause a reaction from native Thais that involved the Police.

Ask yourself and answer honestly do you think innocent tourists get stung for beer mats in bags or eating donuts?

If you are an innocent tourist doing innocent touristy things in the LoS you are hardly likely to invoke a reaction from the long arm of the law.

Have you been involved in any sting cases or anyone you know from your time here? I certainly don't know anyone only from what i read about on the net in the newspapers.

Yes of course I know of many examples from myself and friends, if you don't know of any you need to get out more. The bar has a history of accusing people of stealing and making threats, what she did to get their attention was her stupid friend put the mat in her bag, after that common sense does not come into play, they see a theft and go after it aggressively, doesnt matter if she is innocent, all falangs are working together. In fact her standing there proclaiming her innocence is just going to piss the bar staff off more and more, they are just like you, they think she is lying and they are getting angrier and angrier, this is Thai people we are talking about here! They do not make errors and they do not back down. Lots of innocent tourists get scammed here, if you really dont think this goes on in large numbers here you are simply naive.

I didn't say either cases were scams though, looks obviously to me to be a case of misunderstanding, misinformation, stupidity and a whole lot of saving face.

:D i met a guy who was locked up for smoking a joint in a bar in khao san road, he was telling me all about this guy, boasting about why he had been locked up and how he was a big tough ozzie :) Maybe why he was telling everyone that the police had beaten him blah blah blah

yet again people living under the union flag involved in another embarrassing situation :D

after 11 years coming to thailand i now avoid all aussies and most british travellers/tourists, thailand dosen`t seem big enough for their ego`s :D

hopefully he won`t be back

rant over :D

So what country do you come from ? Perhaps, if I knew your country of origin, then I could try to understand their perfect behaviors and as quickly as possible copy their perfectness!

No kangeroo court, I was just interested to know if you were guilty of theft or not and by depriving the copyright owners of royalties, you are indeed a thief. A petty crime, granted, yet you seem to get so incensed by other people's alleged petty crimes.

But with DVD's etc it's just another case of police corruption, otherwise how could vendors be selling them openly, for all to see, but if police check your premises and find one it will cost you between 20,000 and 50,000 Baht.

Nobody, unless they are really stupid could possibly believe that a guilty plea in this case actually means that she was guilty.

Khun Loong, its OK to rip off name brands and copyrighted works because they are "greedy and evil." Jeez, I just realized that my brother in law works for a media company... Maybe he is evil... Yikes, maybe I am too (relationship reference) OMG, if I own stock in one of those wicked cocerns, am I a bad guy too?

Anyway, I am comming full circle on this and I'm thinking "Hang the Aussie bas@#$%." He is a white guy and "broke the law" so he has to be bad right? But then maybe Thai people mess up too. Ah jeez Loong, why you tink too mut and alway make pom pen?!? Before you post no have pom pen!

Anyway the moral majority here on TV will show us the error of our ways. :):D:D

:D i met a guy who was locked up for smoking a joint in a bar in khao san road, he was telling me all about this guy, boasting about why he had been locked up and how he was a big tough ozzie :) Maybe why he was telling everyone that the police had beaten him blah blah blah

yet again people living under the union flag involved in another embarrassing situation :D

after 11 years coming to thailand i now avoid all aussies and most british travellers/tourists, thailand dosen`t seem big enough for their ego`s :D

hopefully he won`t be back

rant over :D

So what country do you come from ? Perhaps, if I knew your country of origin, then I could try to understand their perfect behaviors and as quickly as possible copy their perfectness!

the very same flag buddy :D

Yes of course I know of many examples from myself and friends, if you don't know of any you need to get out more.

Care to enlighten me/us with your many examples?

That is just ridiculous to say "maybe i need to get out more"

Because i don't have first hand experience of these cases you think i live in a cave or that i should start making aquaintences with people who do have these experiences.

What for so I can talk about my bad experiences on the internet.

No thanks, i'd rather enjoy my time here in the LoS and carry on being simply naive as you put it.

Simply naive has carried me through a decade of loS quite nicely.

I didn't say either cases were scams though, looks obviously to me to be a case of misunderstanding, misinformation, stupidity and a whole lot of saving face.

I do however agree with your above statement.

"If you are an innocent tourist doing innocent touristy things in the LoS you are hardly likely to invoke a reaction from the long arm of the law."

Do you really believe what you are posting??

I don't actually associate with many tourists. I have witnessed the jet-ski scam, where the owner accuses the tourist of causing damage. A policeman was called and insists that the tourist pays. During the course of the afternoon the same policeman was called twice more and 2 more tourists had to pay.

A friend has hired a motorbike for the day, accused of damage, police called, farang paid.

Many "fines" for invented driving offenses.

I know of 1 expat had to pay 20,000 Baht for copy VCDs.

I also know of 1 Thai with 6 pirate VCDs (not selling them), 50,000 baht demanded and negotiated down to 30,000.

I ex pat parked motorbike, Thai motorcyclist drove into the parked m/bike, police decided it was the farang's fault even though the bike was parked off road.

Edited by loong

I see nothing wrong with eating whilst you shop,

as long as you put the wrapper in the basket and pay at the checkout.

Any sane person would agree with you.

Not sure how they define theft in Thailand, but usually there has to be proven "Intent to permanently deprive the owner of the goods or payment for the goods"

Maybe Thailand has a different definition, I don't know.

Many places you consume before paying, it's only theft if you leave without paying.

"If you are an innocent tourist doing innocent touristy things in the LoS you are hardly likely to invoke a reaction from the long arm of the law."

Do you really believe what you are posting??

I don't actually associate with many tourists. I have witnessed the jet-ski scam, where the owner accuses the tourist of causing damage. A policeman was called and insists that the tourist pays. During the course of the afternoon the same policeman was called twice more and 2 more tourists had to pay.

A friend has hired a motorbike for the day, accused of damage, police called, farang paid.

Many "fines" for invented driving offenses.

I know of 1 expat had to pay 20,000 Baht for copy VCDs.

I also know of 1 Thai with 6 pirate VCDs (not selling them), 50,000 baht demanded and negotiated down to 30,000.

I ex pat parked motorbike, Thai motorcyclist drove into the parked m/bike, police decided it was the farang's fault even though the bike was parked off road.

Yes I have witnessed this too. Same cops came 2 or 3 times in one day. When we left the place (deckchairs) the owner demanded we gave a "big tip".

I was also once accused of backing into a pick up. His rear bumper which was a sturdy metal bar was completely buckled. My car (CRV) had a plastic bumper covered in dust. Not a single mark in the dust proving I didn't touch the other car. Cops were called and I had to pay 1500 Baht (down from 2000). Absolutely no point in arguing with them.

Anyone can be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I see many young children sitting in food trollies in Makro and Big C eating things which there parents have given them before paying for them, ...

In Big C I've seen the little beggars standing on tiptoes, licking the icing off iced doughnuts on the lower shelves.

I rarely buy them, but when I do it's the ones in the plastic containers. Hopefully kid-spit free. :D:)

Not sure how they define theft in Thailand, but usually there has to be proven "Intent to permanently deprive the owner of the goods or payment for the goods"

Many places you consume before paying, it's only theft if you leave without paying.

Yeah, it is called ripping off the Farang where possible :)

• 2 months later...

I wonder how it could be construed any other way?

It would be interesting to know if Thailand has any other definition.

I would hate to be arrested half way through my pad thai.

Surely eating in a shop is no different than a restaurant as long as you pay before leaving?

Edited by smokie36