Locked Up For Stealing Donut

saintofsilence

I can remember back in England about 10 years ago, when a guy was seen in Tescos eating a packet of crisps that he took from a shelf before going to the check out and paying.

He was grabbed by a store detective outside the store, arrested, spent a night in jail, sent to court, found guilty of shoplifting and heavily fined plus given a criminal record.

It does appear that the authorities are rather protective of these big store chains; they seem to clamp down harder on those committing criminal acts against them rather than they would a private individual and small businesses.

What!!!! only 1 night in jail? - that's just not good enough, should have been locked up for life.

I suspect that there's more to this story than we are hearing

If it happened in England, then he was probably a Brit, so he must have been a tattooed, skinhead football hooligan. Oh, probably high on drugs as well, that's why he got the "munchies" inside the store.

For sure he screamed and shouted at the store detective and when the police arrived he called them Mother F******* Pigs!

He must have resisted arrest and then continued to verbally abuse everybody at the police station.

Stupid B*****d, he got off light.

Actually, if he did spend a night in jail it was probably because he either couldn't or refused to give suitable identification or he was a repeat offender.

Also, it does seem that the stolen goods were taken outside by the offender, even if they were inside his stomach.

Edited by loong

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see many young children sitting in food trollies in Makro and Big C eating things which there parents have given them before paying for them, but keeping the wrappers so they can pay for them when they get to the checkout.

Everyone knows, children can't wait!!

:):D:D

I have an adult friend in the UK who cannot resist breaking into packs of cheese rolls etc. before he gets to the checkout. I find it more embarrassing than anything else, but he is very legally-savvy and I'm sure he has his defence prepared.

If he does come to visit me over here I will be sure to show him this thread first... and avoid food shopping with him :):D

first off i love thailand/well i did when i first came here 10 years ago......now iam starting to get pissed of with all the double standards thai/farang......at the end of the day thailand is not the only nice country to live.......and the thailand of today...well is it that nice? yes it was when i came here 10 yars ago,but living here and doing business here for the last 5 years,iam start to wounder what the <deleted> iam doing here........ :)

first off i love thailand/well i did when i first came here 10 years ago......now iam starting to get pissed of with all the double standards thai/farang......at the end of the day thailand is not the only nice country to live.......and the thailand of today...well is it that nice? yes it was when i came here 10 yars ago,but living here and doing business here for the last 5 years,iam start to wounder what the <deleted> iam doing here........ :)

You've been here for 5 years so you would know that you don't get arrested for eating a donut in the 7-11 while queuing and you don't get arrested for having a beer mat in your bag before you've left the premises of pub.

You get arrested for breaking the law as you would in any country in these cases running from the cops is a pretty serious offence.

Are cops supposed to not arrest people for running away from an alleged crime just because this is Thailand and they are tourists?

Thailand is certainly not "like any other country". Often people are not arrested for breaking the law and others are arrested under false claims. Murderers can walk free if they have enough power and money, poor people are scapegoats and serve time or death while being innocent.

Sanook2me your opinion of Thailand is completely in error.

This poor Aussie at a Melbourne 7-11 didn't even steal a donut, he just tried to stop a fight.

From today's online Melbourne AGE:

"Three attackers wanted in connection with the stabbing murder of a good Samaritan have fled to Thailand, Victoria Police Chief Commissioner Simon Overland has confirmed."

and....

"Two of the offenders are described as of Asian appearance, and they arrived at the 7-Eleven store in a Mercedes Benz."

Thailand is certainly not "like any other country". Often people are not arrested for breaking the law and others are arrested under false claims. Murderers can walk free if they have enough power and money, poor people are scapegoats and serve time or death while being innocent.

Sanook2me your opinion of Thailand is completely in error.

I'm not saying LoS is perfect and there are lots of problems with the justice system same as many countries have issues but these woeful tails of tourists getting scammed is beyond belief.

They all have the same smell about them! Tourists gone bad on alcohol and thinking that the law of their land applies here!

When they entered the LoS through the nothing to declare channel they should have gone through the something to declare "my naivety, stupidity and common sense" as they appeared to have lost them here.

15 minutes of fame! easy to do from your homeland and fabricate the story to suit your own needs!

:D i met a guy who was locked up for smoking a joint in a bar in khao san road, he was telling me all about this guy, boasting about why he had been locked up and how he was a big tough ozzie :) Maybe why he was telling everyone that the police had beaten him blah blah blah

yet again people living under the union flag involved in another embarrassing situation :D

after 11 years coming to thailand i now avoid all aussies and most british travellers/tourists, thailand dosen`t seem big enough for their ego`s :D

hopefully he won`t be back

rant over :D

I'm not saying LoS is perfect and there are lots of problems with the justice system same as many countries have issues but these woeful tails of tourists getting scammed is beyond belief.

They all have the same smell about them! Tourists gone bad on alcohol and thinking that the law of their land applies here!

When they entered the LoS through the nothing to declare channel they should have gone through the something to declare "my naivety, stupidity and common sense" as they appeared to have lost them here.

15 minutes of fame! easy to do from your homeland and fabricate the story to suit your own needs!

Don't you think there is something wrong with your opinion when you immediately condemn any tourist that has a bad experience while you do not even know the facts or choose to ignore them? Is it possible, in your opinion, for someone to be innocent? And falsely accused or charged through a misunderstanding?

Don't you think there is something wrong with your opinion when you immediately condemn any tourist that has a bad experience while you do not even know the facts or choose to ignore them? Is it possible, in your opinion, for someone to be innocent? And falsely accused or charged through a misunderstanding?

You know through my whole life on this planet i have met quite a few people who have been locked up for varies things and one thing is in common with their stories - They were all guilty of the crime but somehow believe they were not guilty and they were just unlucky!

You know through my whole life on this planet i have met quite a few people who have been locked up for varies things and one thing is in common with their stories - They were all guilty of the crime but somehow believe they were not guilty and they were just unlucky!

Wasn't it the philosopher Homer (Simpson) who said "Honestly Marge, I didn't think you'd find out..." :)

getting locked up isn`t the point, not everyone is an angel (including me) but usually when you get locked up then of course you were unlucky, if you were lucky then you would not have been caught :)

fact of the matter is knowing how to behave and having respect in a foreign country

TheWalkingMan,

Sanuk2me is obviously an oustanding upright citizen who has never made any mistakes or done anything stupid or illegal.

For some reason, he thinks that the theft of a beer mat or eating a doughnut are extremely serious crimes.

I'm sure that I asked him in another thread whether he owns or has ever bought a pirated DVD, copyCD or fake designer clothes/watch. He didn't answer.

Well Sanuk, can you answer now please?

But we are not talking about your whole life in a country that does not have rampant corruption, we are talking about here, now in Thailand. Where the police can be bought, where the police extort money, where the police can murder you and get completely away with it. So you still believe that here, in this place, being the way it is, that all tourists that get arrested are in fact guilty and deserve their fates? Deserve to have to pay extortion fees of thousands of dollars?

But we are not talking about your whole life in a country that does not have rampant corruption, we are talking about here, now in Thailand. Where the police can be bought, where the police extort money, where the police can murder you and get completely away with it. So you still believe that here, in this place, being the way it is, that all tourists that get arrested are in fact guilty and deserve their fates? Deserve to have to pay extortion fees of thousands of dollars?

Well we all know this happends in other countries too, not just Thailand.

Sanuk2me is obviously an oustanding upright citizen who has never made any mistakes or done anything stupid or illegal.

For some reason, he thinks that the theft of a beer mat or eating a doughnut are extremely serious crimes.

maybe, but running away from an alledged crime scene where you are the prime suspect is a serious crime !

:D i met a guy who was locked up for smoking a joint in a bar in khao san road, he was telling me all about this guy, boasting about why he had been locked up and how he was a big tough ozzie :) Maybe why he was telling everyone that the police had beaten him blah blah blah

yet again people living under the union flag involved in another embarrassing situation :D

after 11 years coming to thailand i now avoid all aussies and most british travellers/tourists, thailand dosen`t seem big enough for their ego`s :D

hopefully he won`t be back

rant over :D

And we are such sweet, innocent people :D

TheWalkingMan,

I'm sure that I asked him in another thread whether he owns or has ever bought a pirated DVD, copyCD or fake designer clothes/watch. He didn't answer.

Well Sanuk, can you answer now please?

Mr Loong, I am far from an outstanding citizen but i do know right from wrong and yes i am guilty as charged by your kangaroo court of buying copy fake items.

Luckily I did not eat them or put them in my bag and run off before paying !

I'm not saying the justice system here is totally fair and sure there have been stitch ups but these 2 cases are just people gone a bit bonkers and realising they are in a bit of a hole have fabricated the story to suit and to make themselves appear hard done to and innocent.

Running from the Police is a serious issue in any country and these people have both stated at some point in their saga they ran away from the Police. Net result time in the slammer and a hefty fine and international fame for 15 minutes.

I'm probably correct in assuming they will not run away from the Police again - a hard lesson learnt and one for everyone to remember including myself! Don't run or cause a scene just try and deal with the matter in a calm assured way.

TheLaughingMan Posted Today, 2009-05-25 08:21:31

So you still believe that here, in this place, being the way it is, that all tourists that get arrested are in fact guilty and deserve their fates? Deserve to have to pay extortion fees of thousands of dollars?

I am commenting on these 2 cases in this discussion and yes I believe they are both guilty of exasperating the original problem by running from the Police and maybe and its a big maybe that if they had not run from the problem it would have been dealt with imediately without any jail time. Net result probably a small fine also no international fame which both parties seem to be enjoying their notoriety.

Tourist fame 2 vs Thailand tourism 0 not a fair result in my opinion

I find it hard to believe you are defending these people and i suspect you are playing devils advocate for some fun.

Well we all know this happends in other countries too, not just Thailand.

So because it also happens in other 3rd world countries like Vietnam and Cambodia it makes it ok? What on earth is your point?

I'm not saying the justice system here is totally fair and sure there have been stitch ups but these 2 cases are just people gone a bit bonkers and realising they are in a bit of a hole have fabricated the story to suit and to make themselves appear hard done to and innocent.

Running from the Police is a serious issue in any country and these people have both stated at some point in their saga they ran away from the Police. Net result time in the slammer and a hefty fine and international fame for 15 minutes.

I'm probably correct in assuming they will not run away from the Police again - a hard lesson learnt and one for everyone to remember including myself! Don't run or cause a scene just try and deal with the matter in a calm assured way.

I am commenting on these 2 cases in this discussion and yes I believe they are both guilty of exasperating the original problem by running from the Police and maybe and its a big maybe that if they had not run from the problem it would have been dealt with imediately without any jail time. Net result probably a small fine also no international fame which both parties seem to be enjoying their notoriety.

Tourist fame 2 vs Thailand tourism 0 not a fair result in my opinion

I find it hard to believe you are defending these people and i suspect you are playing devils advocate for some fun.

Are you serious? This is exactly what I thought of you. Playing devils advocate for fun. If you know all the facts of the case both these people were completely innocent. The rest of the world doesnt automatically disbelieve people like you do so why would we think they are anything but innocent? In the bar mat case it was proven she was totally innocent, the true perpetrator was ignored when they tried to confess, she did not run from police, she ran across the street to get out of the rain from bar staff, not police. She did absolutely nothing wrong and you can keep ignoring the facts of the case all day but id doesn't make her any less innocent.

The doughnut guy got scared being falsely accused and bolted, stupid yes but then what was the cop trying to do? Bring him to jail for a trial? No, he wanted extortion money and I would be tempted to run too. In the end he had to pay several thousand dollars to a cops pocket over a completely false charge. How can you think these people are guilty of actual crimes? We arent even dealing with actual police. A real cop protects people and upholds the law, we are talking about the countries largest organised crime syndicate.

Mr Loong, I am far from an outstanding citizen but i do know right from wrong and yes i am guilty as charged by your kangaroo court of buying copy fake items.

Luckily I did not eat them or put them in my bag and run off before paying ! .........

Running from the Police is a serious issue in any country and these people have both stated at some point in their saga they ran away from the Police....................

No kangeroo court, I was just interested to know if you were guilty of theft or not and by depriving the copyright owners of royalties, you are indeed a thief. A petty crime, granted, yet you seem to get so incensed by other people's alleged petty crimes.

But with DVD's etc it's just another case of police corruption, otherwise how could vendors be selling them openly, for all to see, but if police check your premises and find one it will cost you between 20,000 and 50,000 Baht.

If the doughnut story is true, then I agree it was silly of him to run, but then we don't know what happened prior to him running do we?

As for the beer mat case, you are only able to read the articles and choose to believe what agrees with your biased viewpoint. Only one person has stated that she ran FROM the police and that was a person who was not there and also stated that she managed to get down the steps and run to the beach before the police were able to catch her. You have chosen to believe an amalgamation of the 2 statements ie that she walked down the steps and ran across the street where she was caught by police. The police, the women, in fact nobody else has stated that the woman resisted arrest or ran away. Only a part owner of the bar has claimed that she ran away, he also claimed that the bar did not press charges. The Governor and the police have both stated that the bar DID press charges. So maybe you should consider everything in the bar owner's statement as an exercise in damage limitation.

You are the one who is guilty of holding a kangaroo court as you condemned the woman with no knowledge of any facts whatsoever that would prove her guilt.

And perlease do not say that she pleaded guilty therefore was guilty. The Governor advised her and promised that she would be set free if she entered a guilty plea. Otherwise she would have faced months or even years of uncertainty, unable to leave Thailand. Oh and when it would have finally ended she would have to pay 20,000 Baht overstay.

Nobody, unless they are really stupid could possibly believe that a guilty plea in this case actually means that she was guilty.

Edited by loong

It occurs to me that with these various cases, and believe what you will of the how, why and wherefores, but in each case these would have been classed as petty crimes in most reasonably civilised countries in the world. Punishment would have been meted out - or not - depending on evidence.

Yet one thing seems to happen in each case. Someone is pocketing money from these petty offences. The fact they are getting away with pocketing money from these unconvicted 'offenders' means a greater crime is being perpetrated here.

The theft of and attempted theft of 1,000's of dollars by officers of the law. The very people who are supposed to uphold the law.

Each time an offence of theft by these policemen and their cohorts happens, we are more at risk of having money extorted from us and others in the future for some petty offence.

That is disgusting.

It occurs to me that with these various cases, and believe what you will of the how, why and wherefores, but in each case these would have been classed as petty crimes in most reasonably civilised countries in the world. Punishment would have been meted out - or not - depending on evidence.

Yet one thing seems to happen in each case. Someone is pocketing money from these petty offences. The fact they are getting away with pocketing money from these unconvicted 'offenders' means a greater crime is being perpetrated here.

The theft of and attempted theft of 1,000's of dollars by officers of the law. The very people who are supposed to uphold the law.

Each time an offence of theft by these policemen and their cohorts happens, we are more at risk of having money extorted from us and others in the future for some petty offence.

That is disgusting.

Agreed, and the tourists are easy targets. When the supply of tourists dry up, they will move to the next easiest targets - Ex Pats.