Exporting A Thai Car To Australia

I thought about shipping my Vigo to Australia. As I'm a Aus resident and I lived in Thailand over a year and own the car during this time it seems I don't need to pay any taxes for importing it into Australia. Anyone done this before?

Thanks

I would check on this very very carefully. If the car has not got an Australian VIN plate you may have difficulty registering it. Even if the vehicle is exactly the same. Check carefully.

Used vehicles tend to be cheaper there too so it may be more cost effective to sell it here.

Edited by harrry

I don't see much point as the Vigo in Australia is made in Thailand - why not let Toyota do the shipping donkey-work?.

the other problem is you will have a "Thai spec" car....no heater etc.....different tray...and there may be other fuel and electronic adjustments needed.

wouldn't it be better to sell your car in Thailand - where it gets a good re-sale price - and just buy another in Oz?

I did an internet search on this before and found the import tax on my civic would be about $5000. It wouldn;t have been worth it as it costs LESS there new than a new one is in Thailand. Crazy! With the pickup, yes they have them and I believe they are more expensive in Australia than here. It still may not be worth to send it over. Better to sell it in LOS (where you get a good amount back), rather than there where depretiation would be more severe.

you'll also have to get the car pre-approved for import. If used, it will have to be cleaned by customs before entry (includes removing panels etc...not cheap). And also you'll be up for 10% GST on the valuation of the car when you purchased it. If you can't prove it, an assessor in Australia will do so.

Have researched driving 'home' to OZ, when we eventually return. Might be worth it in my case, as I want to do a bit of a trip through SE Asia. For pure shipping though, unsure. I guess a plug for expat mortors here might be warranted, as they seem to have a track record in shipping stuff.

I don't see much point as the Vigo in Australia is made in Thailand - why not let Toyota do the shipping donkey-work?.

Nobody wants to hear practical stuff like this.

:)

TH

Good point. Personally i wouldn't bother. Tried it a few years ago with a car from the UK. The costs weren't so bad= taxes were cheaper then, but still had customs hassles, and the delays, minor damage to the car en route, bureacracy, and general stress,- not worth it. The car makers have it sewn up, no fuss and vehicles delivered in new condition.