Cambodia Visa

I will go to Cambodia to visit Angkor Wat. A few questions:

1) Can I pay $20 US dollars for the Cambodia visa if I enter at the Poipet border? I heard that I may have to pay 1,000 baht instead.

2) One post said some people pay an extra 100 baht for updating their visa. Is this a scam? Since I will spend a few days in Cambodia, I think I can avoid this scam.

3) If a thai citizen joins me on the trip, does that person have to pay the $20 US dollars? Does that person need a passport?

Thanks

the name of this forum is THAI VISA FORUM not Cambodia Visa Forum

the price for a visa to cambodia is 1000 baht

The price for a visa to enter Cambodia is $20 USD (http://www.cambodia-immigration.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=29&Itemid=50〈=en), which is what you pay if you arrive at airports in Phnom Penh and Siem Reap.

The last time I entered Cambodia through Poipet, there was a sign posted saying the visa fee is $20 USD. However, the thieving Cambodian Immigration staff insisted everyone pay 1000 Thai baht, which is at least 50 percent higher than the official rate set by the Cambodian government.

Purchasing a Cambodian entry visa online $25 USD. According to this website (http://evisa.mfaic.gov.kh/e-visa/vindex.aspx), the evisa can be used at both international airports, but only 2 land crossings.

Edited by shotover

When I went to Cambodia by land I took US$'s as I had read the rules, At the border they were charging everyone on the same van as me 1300b. I told them I only had US$ and was told "go stand over there, way over there"

Waited till everyone else had been processed and was called inside (everyone else had been done through a window) my US$ were accepted with a sh-tty look and I was told "next time bring Baht" the whole porcess is entered on computer so I assume there is a note next to my name.

Another thing; dont chance any money into local currency pay with $ or baht and you will get local as change, money changers will rip you off. Check and understand the exchange rate before you go.

When I went to Cambodia by land I took US s as I had read the rules, At the border they were charging everyone on the same van as me 1300b. I told them I only had US$ and was told "go stand over there, way over there"

Waited till everyone else had been processed and was called inside (everyone else had been done through a window) my US$ were accepted with a sh-tty look and I was told "next time bring Baht" the whole porcess is entered on computer so I assume there is a note next to my name.

Another thing; dont chance any money into local currency pay with $ or baht and you will get local as change, money changers will rip you off. Check and understand the exchange rate before you go.

Take US dollars, crisp fresh as you can get, if not they'll charge you a ridiculous amount of baht. Some small 1 dollar bills is also a good idea for paying tuktuk drivers e.t.c when you get to siem reap. Put the $20 in your wallet, take everything else out, I was asked into the office at Koh Kong crossing so they could inspect my wallet for another 200 baht. At poipet you may well be asked for an additional 200 baht, I was, didn't pay but there was no one else in the queue so maybe that's why I got away with it. When dealing with the border officials keep a smile on your face, pay your $20 and ask them to show you where it says there is an additional fee, do not get angry or upset this just embarrases them and makes it more likely you'll have to pay something extra.

I take crossing borders into Cambodia as a challenge, to see how little I can pay :)

There is a good website about the Cambodian Scams (talesofasia.com). It details every scam they try. If the Poipet border is empty when I arrive, I will try to use $20 for the Cambodian visa. If there are a lot of people, I will try to pay $20 and 100 baht. I will have to deal with the upset officer, but if I can think of it as a game, it should be fun.

The scam with the van is they try to charge you 1000 or more. They take you to the Cambodian consulate on the Thailand side and scam money from people. It is best to go straight to the border and get the visa there. If you take a van, your out of luck since they control where you go. All the buses from Khao San Road will try this also. Again, you may not have a choice since they control where you go.

Its really shameful, but tourist just assume it is part of the cost of traveling.