Thailand Is Great!

H2oDunc

I think what confuses me about the negative posts is simply, if it is so bad why are you here? Amazingly enough (especially as a psychiatrist) I have come across more unhappy, miserable people (Westerners) in Thailand than I ever did in the USA, sure in the USA people complained about their debt the economy even taxes and in most cases with good reason, but here? come on, obviously the people doing the complaining have the financial means to be here and if they don't well they shouldn't be here or they are not here legally. It is indeed refreshing to see a post like this.

They are here because they think, that locals accept their craziness more then back home.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just because some people have some bad experiences, it doesn't mean that they are being negative about everything.

Most of the time, I find the immigration officers pleasant and helpful.

Recently, I has to do my 90 day report, but I had decided that as I was visiting the Uk this year and didn't want to transfer funds at sub 49 Baht/GBP that I wouldn't be renewing the year extension.

The lady in Nong Khai immigration dealt with my 90 day reporting (very pleasant and polite) and reminded me that I should be applying for the extension now. I told her that I hadn't transferred enough cash as I would be going to the Uk soon and so I would go to Laos to get the extra time I needed. She looked through my passport and told me to go with her.

She took my passport to the woman at the end desk (her superior, I assume), showed her my passport and was talking to her.

This woman looked at me and almost shouted "You have no moneeey?, You have Thai wife? You need 800,000 in the bank for 3 months" Then she snapped "Go to Lao!". She then held my passport up in her left hand and I had to move to the right to avoid stretching over the people who were sitting at the desk. As I reached for my passport, she changed it to her right hand and then held it down low at the other side of the desk, so I had to walk round the side and stoop down to retrieve it.

That woman had obviously intended to embarrass and belittle me for no other reason than the fact that she could. This was totally uncalled for, especially in a society where everybody bangs on about "Don't make others lose face!" What made it more annoying was that I had only gone there to do my 90 day report, I had NOT asked for an extension.

I went to the woman who had dealt with my 90 day report to check that everything was finished and she looked very embarrassed.

Reading this, you may think it a trivial thing and in the bigger scheme of things it is. If this happened to any of you, I'm sure that you would not be happy.

Now, I could quite possibly start a topic with my experience as above and some people would be interested to read it. But for every experience like this at immigration I may have another 9 visits that are uneventful. So people may be interested to read the above, how many would be interested if I started 9 topics with a story like...

"I went to the immigration today to do my 90 day report. The officer was very pleasant and I was only in there 5 minutes and then I drove home"

If the board was flooded with non event topics like this, people would soon get very bored and lose interest.

No you are so loong! I would rather read 9 posts of yours about non events. You have to trust me on this :)

I think happiness anywhere is money/relationship related,if those 2 are in tact and ok im sure most will agree there is no reason for misery,seems a lot whingers are either on the rags of their ass or about to be, probably brought on by poor partner selection,. :)

I agree that Thailand is generally a great place to live, with some hiccups along the way like any other place on Earth.

The BIG problem with Thailand is the SOME types of farangs (talking about my Pattaya experience only)...the "negativity" starts whenever a Thai comes out of tourist-friendly servile mode and dare give an opinion, then it's oh-they-are-so rude and this-is-the-end-of-tourism blady bla bla. For example: a shop assistat who can't deliver what you want and tells you so...rather than a resignation to the fact (this is a third world country, remember?), the farang storms off and declares never to shop there again. Same whining about internet speed, bank charges, lack of English, perceived lack of welcome etc etc....ThaiVisa has chronicled them all!

I avoid negative farangs and have enjoyed my Thai experience so far :)

Of course I have had the occassional whine BUT I get over it quick smart!

I think happiness anywhere is money/relationship related,if those 2 are in tact and ok im sure most will agree there is no reason for misery,seems a lot whingers are either on the rags of their ass or about to be, probably brought on by poor partner selection,. :)

There is no way to delay, that trouble comin' every day.

well if you are a negative thinker you may be correct,. :D

I think what confuses me about the negative posts is simply, if it is so bad why are you here? Amazingly enough (especially as a psychiatrist) I have come across more unhappy, miserable people (Westerners) in Thailand than I ever did in the USA, sure in the USA people complained about their debt the economy even taxes and in most cases with good reason, but here? come on, obviously the people doing the complaining have the financial means to be here and if they don't well they shouldn't be here or they are not here legally. It is indeed refreshing to see a post like this.

I think many people come here with a minimal amount of money, not enough to live comfortable in their home country, but they feel LOS is cheap. Then they find it is no fun to be broke in LOS either so they bitch about how bad it is here.

That or they make a bad choice of partners and have a unhappy home life, then blame LOS. Or for many both of the above apply. But then lack of money can make a unhappy relationship.

well if you are a negative thinker you may be correct,. :D

A quotation from a Frank Zappe song to relativize that simple naivety. Remember Superman??

It's Memorial Day in the U.S., and it is a spectacular day.

Why does sex always have to be part of the discussion, when you talk about LOS? and why someone lives there? First of all, sex ain't all it's cranked up to be. Secondly, you are all going to be old farts one day (that is if I don't see you first), and, lastly, if you're there for more than a two week holiday, you'd better have more going for you than a hard-on.

I know that there's young, college kids on this forum. They're in Thailand (or more specifically, Bangkok), because their parents want them as far away from them as possible, and they'll pay whatever that costs. Bad boys, my ass.

Becoz thai for the non -thai is SeX! not much else here sir! not 4 all, there r exceptions!

Why does sex always have to be part of the discussion, when you talk about LOS? and why someone lives there? First of all, sex ain't all it's cranked up to be.

My condolences. It sounds like you have bigger problems than we do. :)

I agree that Thailand is generally a great place to live, with some hiccups along the way like any other place on Earth.

The BIG problem with Thailand is the SOME types of farangs (talking about my Pattaya experience only)...the "negativity" starts whenever a Thai comes out of tourist-friendly servile mode and dare give an opinion, then it's oh-they-are-so rude and this-is-the-end-of-tourism blady bla bla. For example: a shop assistat who can't deliver what you want and tells you so...rather than a resignation to the fact (this is a third world country, remember?), the farang storms off and declares never to shop there again. Same whining about internet speed, bank charges, lack of English, perceived lack of welcome etc etc....ThaiVisa has chronicled them all!

I avoid negative farangs and have enjoyed my Thai experience so far :D

Of course I have had the occassional whine BUT I get over it quick smart!

:)

Unfortunately you cannot avoid the negative farangs on here, they will be here soon so watch out!

In the meantime enjoy your time here like the majority of us do :D

Thailand beats the miserable, cold UK for me anyday.

Thailand is Great. :D

If I did not like the place, then i would not live here.

Yes that’s what they should do if they don’t like Thailand so go back from where they came from!!! So many on TV slag off Thais, Thai life style and Thailand in general so why do they stay in LOS.

I came here met my GF have good life style living in Issan, also we lived in Pattaya for some years, seen all the drunken, miserable and not two pennies to rub together expats also some very happy ones. My point is life is what you make of it and if you always what to be negative then that’s your choice but for me Thailand is wonderful place :D and life treats you how you treat life so just get on with it and wake up!!!!! This is Thailand so accept Thai life if not then buy ticket back to your home…that’s if you have the balls :)

After all the negative postings lately about Thailand I thought I would post some good things. Since first coming here several years ago I have never been arrested, ripped off, been a victim of crime or shown any great disrespect :D Paid the odd MIB 200 baht but done so with a smile :D

I have though been made very welcome in all areas of Thailand during my ride around the Kingdom. When I have broken down or run out of fuel I have never had to wait more than 5 mins for some very helpful Thai to stop and assist me. I have been fed, watered and given a room all for nothing. I hardly ever take the key out of my motorbike and when I return it is always there. A girl that I didn't know that well sat by my bed day and night for 4 days in hospital after an accident till I was better. My other half cost me nothing, has asked for nothing and her family neither ask nor expect anything other than I take care of their daughter. I live in a beautiful country and thank Buddha every day for allowing me to do so.

My quality of life here is far better than back in the UK and I will leave only when they drag me screaming and kicking onto the plane.

The next time you feel the need to post that life here in Thailand is so bad just try to remember what things were like back wherever you came from :D Chock dee :)

You have just earned my respect. I echo everything you wrote

If all you look for are the negatives that is all you will find. I prefer to keep the rose colored glasses on and find only the good. Thats in Thailand and in The USof A. Good luck to you all.

Thailand is a lovely country blessed with gorgeous scenery.

Unfortunately, it is marred with far too many Thai people.

How many of those here slathering on about how great it is, have Thai wives/girlfriends?

Because I'm thinking most of you do, whereas back in the home country , maybe you didn't /couldn't and thus are somewhat biased and insulated from the less attractive side of Thai interactions- that is until your Thai mate does you over.

Thailand is a lovely country blessed with gorgeous scenery.

Unfortunately, it is marred with far too many Thai people.

How many of those here slathering on about how great it is, have Thai wives/girlfriends?

Because I'm thinking most of you do, whereas back in the home country , maybe you didn't /couldn't and thus are somewhat biased and insulated from the less attractive side of Thai interactions- that is until your Thai mate does you over.

:D

What has happened to you to make yourself so cynical about the LoS?

Thai interactions- that is until your Thai mate does you over.

Yeah cus this happens on a daily basis :) To people in a normal relationship..

ie. not a cash transaction and second extended family to feed but i'm sure there are more succeess stories from this side of life too but we never hear about them do we.

Thailand is a lovely country blessed with gorgeous scenery. Unfortunately, it is marred with far too many Thai people. How many of those here slathering on about how great it is, have Thai wives/girlfriends? Because I'm thinking most of you do, whereas back in the home country , maybe you didn't /couldn't and thus are somewhat biased and insulated from the less attractive side of Thai interactions- that is until your Thai mate does you over.

Ever have any doubt why the Thais are still happy when foreigners come to pick up some girls? :)

I would have to say that dealing with a Thai in a restaurant and dealing with a Thai over a business is two very different things. I think the ones on this thread who praise Thai's to no end do not have to do the latter very much or even at all.

How could a community not like you if all you were doing is paying your way through life and putting money into the pockets of Thai's instead of creating wealth from the pockets of Thai's.

Edited by bravingbangkok

It's right that the ATM is happier than the man trying to draw money from, quite empty, ATM.

And if this is the case, I think it depends very much on the ATM's performance as well. The so proud and noisy ATM can get some dents before long.

Why does sex always have to be part of the discussion, when you talk about LOS? and why someone lives there? First of all, sex ain't all it's cranked up to be.

My condolences. It sounds like you have bigger problems than we do. :)

I have come across many unhappy, miserable psychiatrists, and, I'm sure my problem is bigger than yours.

Yeah cus this happens on a daily basis :) To people in a normal relationship..

ie. not a cash transaction and second extended family to feed but i'm sure there are more succeess stories from this side of life too but we never hear about them do we.

In my experience the vast majority of farang/Thai relationships are not normal, i.e. based on love.

They are in the vast majority based on need from both parties; companionship on the one hand and financial on the other.

In my experience the vast majority of farang/Thai relationships are not normal, i.e. based on love.

They are in the vast majority based on need from both parties; companionship on the one hand and financial on the other.

I guess that is your experience.............bit sad really.

I guess that is your experience.............bit sad really.

It is sad isn't it? Lonely guys that can't find love closer to home.

My personal experience is I married a model from Los Angeles.

Would never need or in fact even consider a Thai spouse. Not enough substance I'm afraid.

"They are in the vast majority based on need from both parties; companionship on the one hand and financial on the other."

and vice-versa. This is a very good definition of a normal relationship. Everybody brings something to the table, etc. Love is just a four letter word.

Edited by Shotime

Yet another post complaining about other people complaining...... yawn!

A guest house thread that I have read all the way through! Bloody marvelous

Now if could just learn to do this more often how enjoyable your posts would be to read :)

There is nothing stopping you creating a new post with that intelligent brain of yours that is interesting for you.

My personal experience is I married a model from Los Angeles.

Would never need or in fact even consider a Thai spouse. Not enough substance I'm afraid.

You are joking, right? :)

Unfortunatly from reading many of his other posts on TV I guess not - anyway good to see that Thai people are tolerent of even his preference for a Barbie or is it Ken partner