Avg Free

jaideeguy

AVG free has served me well for 3+yrs, but lately I can't update, even manually. The error message I get is 'access is forbidden by the server' and doesn't update antivirus database and anti spyware. Could it be that they finally want me to pay??

Tried reinstalling it and same same. Internet connection seems ok, maxnet.

Any ideas out there??

AVG free has served me well for 3+yrs, but lately I can't update, even manually. The error message I get is 'access is forbidden by the server' and doesn't update antivirus database and anti spyware. Could it be that they finally want me to pay??

Any ideas out there??

I have AVG for about 6 years I guess and I must admid it is the best one you can get

yes some times it has it's problems but try to download it again which I did and it solved my

problems

Any ideas out there??

One of the tests to find out if the conficker virus is on a machine is trying to connect to popular anti-virus websites.

Any ideas out there??

One of the tests to find out if the conficker virus is on a machine is trying to connect to popular anti-virus websites.

or use the eye chart test http://www.confickerworkinggroup.org/infec...cfeyechart.html

Is that eyechart for real?? tried it 2x and first test said I probably had the virus, 2nd attempt said I was free of it.

that chart is for real. search the web for conficker eyechart.

You even can find a list of major security companies (with links) conficker might try to block.

Personally I trust your case is server related on AVG site and has nothing to do with conficker.

Alternatives are many. I am using AVAST! and it is doing a fine job so far.

Edited by webfact

Are you sure they have not released a newer version of AVG? That would be the normal reason for older version not being able to update.

I use Avira and most testing rates it highly. It is also free - just a popup each day during update to suggest you buy full feature versions.

It was the latest version of AVG that i re installed. Webfact...you say it's the server on their end and not my server?/ message says check your internet connection, which is fine as it ever is here.

Also, will check into Avira. I am beginning to suspect that AVG is just trying to sell me their preimum product.

AVG recently upgraded their version from 8.0 to 8.5.

ver. 8.0 is no longer supported!

If you still have 8.0 and it does not upgrade itself then uninstall AVG and download the new free 8.5 version.

I've been using AVG for many years with only a few minor hiccups

opalhort

Well, I just downloaded and installed the free version of Avira [while keeping my AVG] and same same when i try to update....it gets 10% thru and craps out on me. Making me believe that there is something wrong with my server as AVG says. The only major changes I have made were to install the latest Internet Explorer.

What to do now??

Well, I just downloaded and installed the free version of Avira [while keeping my AVG] and same same when i try to update....it gets 10% thru and craps out on me. Making me believe that there is something wrong with my server as AVG says. The only major changes I have made were to install the latest Internet Explorer.

What to do now??

Why have you installed IE?! It's crap. Get Mozilla Firefox, IGNORE all the little boxes that come up with warnings from AVG and just keep clicking 'NEXT'.

I uninstalled AVG a couple of months ago thinking it was responsible for my downloads disappearing, once downloaded, together with blank pages, but still had all my toolbars, whenever I first logged on. This went on for about a week. Took harddrive to local computer guys and they told me it was TOT, again.

I then installed PC tools which showed up 2000 odd 'problems' on my browser whenever I ran it through Spybot :)

Also, you can only run one antivirus, note, antivirus, at a time, so uninstall any other antivirus programmes you may have.

In short: Install Firefox, Uninstall any other ANTIVIRUS only software you may have, Go to AVG Homepage and download, IGNORING warning boxes and keep clicking NEXT. It's something to do with the crappy internet connection we have to put up with here, somewhat like all those 'certificate expired' notices we still keep getting.

By the way, thankyou Reimar for all your help, the web guy's got back to me and states my site will be up by 8 pm this evening, but if not, am certain will not be able to count on you mods if anyone has any problems with advertisers on this site from now on. Thanks again.

Edited by steadfast