Rare Sexual Disease- Lgv Strikes-

pautai

04 February 2005 0307 hrs

New Yorkers diagnosed with rare sex disease

-

NEW YORK : Two New York men have been diagnosed with a rare sexually transmitted disease that has recently been making inroads among gay and bisexual men in Europe.

The disease, a rare form of chlamydia known as lymphogranuloma venereum, or LGV, can cause serious illness, permanent disfigurement and fuel the spread of AIDS, according to New York health officials.

"LGV is a serious condition and its emergence in New York City reflects continuing high levels of unsafe sexual activity among men who have sex with men," said the city's health commissioner Thomas Frieden.

"It is also critical for gay and bi-sexual men to minimize risky sexual behaviors and practice safer sex ... to help prevent the spread of this illness and HIV/AIDS," Frieden said.

The federal Centers for Disease Control has confirmed six recent cases in the United States, including the two in New York, three in San Francisco and one in Atlanta.

Previously prevalent only in less-developed countries in Africa, Southeast Asia and the Caribbean, LGV has recently gained a foothold in Europe, with the Netherlands reporting more than 60 cases in 2004, compared to fewer than five cases in recent years.

- AFP :o

bruary, 2005, 00:32 GMT 

Warning as sex disease reaches UK 

People who think they may be at risk should see a doctor

A sexually transmitted infection that before now has mainly been seen in the developing world is spreading in the UK and western Europe, experts say.

London is among a number of major cities that have reported outbreaks of lymphomagranuloma venereum (LGV).

The 24 cases confirmed in England have been in gay men but both sexes can contract LGV through unprotected sex.

Its symptoms include genital ulcers and swelling in the groin but it can be easily treated using antibiotics.

What we are seeing now is something that is quite new and is affecting gay men

LGV is caused by a strain of bacteria, similar to the one that causes chlamydia, another sexually transmitted infection (STI).

In recent months, outbreaks of LGV have been reported in the cities of Rotterdam, Antwerp, Paris, Stockholm and Hamburg.

And this week, two men in New York were diagnosed with the disease.

Neil Macdonald, from England's Health Protection Agency, said: "LGV was previously hardly ever seen in the Western world.

"It is endemic in certain areas of Africa, Asia, South America and the Caribbean.

"What we are seeing now is something that is quite new and is affecting gay men."

He said it was not clear how long LGV had been in western Europe and that it might be the case that now people are checking for it more cases are being found.

Symptoms of LGV

Rectal inflammation  :D

Rectal bleeding  :D

Swollen groin lymph nodes  :D

Rectal ulcers  :o

Fever  :D

Fatigue  :D 

Since the HPA set up an enhanced surveillance system for LGV in October, there have been 24 confirmed cases in England.

The HPA has been able to trace 19 of the men. All are homosexual and 17 are also HIV positive.

"We know it's here and we know it is a problem," said Mr Macdonald.

"One of the biggest problems we have is that it doesn't present like a typical STI so not only the patients themselves but also their doctors may not realise they have got it."

The first symptom of LGV is usually inflammation of the rectum (proctitis) - with pain, discharge, rectal bleeding and bloody stools commonly reported, as well as genital ulcers.

The person might also notice large painful swelling in the groin because the infection invades the lymph nodes.

People need to be aware of the symptoms

LGV can be easily treated with a three-week course of antibiotics.

But if it is not detected and treated, complications can develop such as fever, weight loss and lesions and permanent scarring of the rectal lining that might need surgical repair.

In some cases, the symptoms can be mistaken for a bowel problem which can delay the diagnosis, he said.

He urged anyone who thought they might have put themselves at risk of LGV or any other STI to go to their doctor for a check-up.

Will Mutland from the Terrence Higgins Trust said: "We are working with key target groups of HIV men to raise awareness about LGV."

He said as well as having unprotected sex with multiple partners, this group might be particularly at risk because of they have a condition that affects the immune system and ability to fight infections.

"People need to be aware of the symptoms.

"We also want to encourage regular screening, not just for LGV but for a range of other STIs."

The Terrence Higgins Trust has produced an information leaflet for gay men explaining the risks of LGV.

from the bbc news website.

There are more than fouteen different types of sexually transmitted disease that most people have never heard of. If detected they can be cleared up fairly easily, but many go undetected because they do not always have obvious symptoms - other than tiredness, lethagy, or general feeling of unwell. Unless people develop obvious urological symptoms they don't bother going for full STD swabs and checks. Many of these diseases can cause a lot of damage to the body, and can live in the body for many years. You'd be surprised how easily some of these diseases can be passed on - via hand to genital contact. For example, type two Herpes lives in the spine and can go undetceted in a carrier, but it can cause psychological problems and even brain damage in a new born baby. Most people are too blase, but in reality they are playing with fire with certain types of liaison.

• 1 month later...

Is this God telling us something or really just the end of time coming. Just wondering not preaching.

skycop :D

-

NEW YORK : Two New York men have been diagnosed with a rare sexually transmitted disease that has recently been making inroads among gay and bisexual men in Europe.

The disease, a rare form of chlamydia known as lymphogranuloma venereum, or LGV, can cause serious illness, permanent disfigurement and fuel the spread of AIDS, according to New York health officials.

"LGV is a serious condition and its emergence in New York City reflects continuing high levels of unsafe sexual activity among men who have sex with men," said the city's health commissioner Thomas Frieden.

"It is also critical for gay and bi-sexual men to minimize risky sexual behaviors and practice safer sex ... to help prevent the spread of this illness and HIV/AIDS," Frieden said.

The federal Centers for Disease Control has confirmed six recent cases in the United States, including the two in New York, three in San Francisco and one in Atlanta.

Previously prevalent only in less-developed countries in Africa, Southeast Asia and the Caribbean, LGV has recently gained a foothold in Europe, with the Netherlands reporting more than 60 cases in 2004, compared to fewer than five cases in recent years.

Is this God telling us something or really just the end of time coming. Just wondering not preaching.

skycop :D

-

The reall bad news is that the majority of these sts's including the one mentioned can be passed while using a condom.

Boy I'm glad I got my "wings" in the late sixties and early seventies... :D

Slowed up a bit Pepe ?  :D  You can divide your sexlife into two parts at your age.That's thinking about it and talking about it  :D

Hey Doc,

That's close. I ca tell you this I didn't miss many, I couldn't get them all, I did try but they just keep making more... :o

If I have to go tommorrow, man I didn't miss much.

"If I knew I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself"-Richard Prior

Slowed up a bit Pepe ?   :D   You can divide your sexlife into two parts at your age.That's thinking about it and talking about it   :D

Hey Doc,

That's close. I ca tell you this I didn't miss many, I couldn't get them all, I did try but they just keep making more... :o

If I have to go tommorrow, man I didn't miss much.

"If I knew I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself"-Richard Prior

A wise man was Mr Prior :D