Dog Days

mekongmiss

Hi

Maybe this is not the right place for this topic but here goes. I live in a border town in NW Thailand which must be the number one place for the number of aggressive and somewhat mangy dogs that run around on the streets day and night. It is OK if you drive a car or ride a motorbike, but for those of us who ride bicycles or walk it can be pretty scary. This mainly concerns tourists, some locals and Burmese migrants, especially children. Anyway, everyday someone here is bitten, and for the lucky ones who know about this and can afford it, it is off to the hospital for the rabies shots. Interestingly enough it is the dogs with owners who are the worst. Friends have reported owners laughing as their dogs attacked them or even abusing them, some even set the dogs on them. Rabies is considered to be a serious threat to public health in Thailand, also the pain and distress at being surrounded by a group of dogs and then being bitten is not nice. I decided to visit my local tourist police to alert them to this problem and was dismayed at the pathetic response I received from the policewoman in charge. Basically I was told that they do not deal with this problem, if you can identify the dog and their owner they will go and see them, however dogs that do not have owners "control themselves". I am appalled at the lack of reponsibility shown by owners and authorities regarding this. I have travelled to a number of towns in Thailand and have never experienced the dog problem that we have here. So for forum readers - is this a problem where you live? If so, what was done about it?

Hi

Maybe this is not the right place for this topic but here goes. I live in a border town in NW Thailand which must be the number one place for the number of aggressive and somewhat mangy dogs that run around on the streets day and night. It is OK if you drive a car or ride a motorbike, but for those of us who ride bicycles or walk it can be pretty scary. This mainly concerns tourists, some locals and Burmese migrants, especially children. Anyway, everyday someone here is bitten, and for the lucky ones who know about this and can afford it, it is off to the hospital for the rabies shots. Interestingly enough it is the dogs with owners who are the worst. Friends have reported owners laughing as their dogs attacked them or even abusing them, some even set the dogs on them. Rabies is considered to be a serious threat to public health in Thailand, also the pain and distress at being surrounded by a group of dogs and then being bitten is not nice. I decided to visit my local tourist police to alert them to this problem and was dismayed at the pathetic response I received from the policewoman in charge. Basically I was told that they do not deal with this problem, if you can identify the dog and their owner they will go and see them, however dogs that do not have owners "control themselves". I am appalled at the lack of reponsibility shown by owners and authorities regarding this. I have travelled to a number of towns in Thailand and have never experienced the dog problem that we have here. So for forum readers - is this a problem where you live? If so, what was done about it?

1. Yes.

2. Less than what is not done about it in your location.

Signed,

Dog bite victim. :)

There are some dogs walking free here. I sometimes set my dogs free too usually at night for half an hour or so. My experience is most dogs bark but are real afraid of you. One of my dogs loves to bark to ppl who are affraid. The moment i hear him barking im out to see what is happening. He has never bitten anyone just barking.

I think a lot of non dog owners don't know much about dog behavior and get scared. This is Thailand dogs walk free i think you have to learn to live with it.

Just a few tips:

- Don't run

- Don't show fear

- If its always the same dog buy some food for him in a few days he is your new best friend.