Theory Of Relativity And Buddhism

Svenn

When one reads into the more subtle aspects of the enlightenment experience as described by arahats and particularly Zen masters- specifically the absence of the reality of time, and space "...realization that you walked a thousand miles without taking a single step" "all the Buddhist teachings are at the end of this pin" "the bridge moves, not the water" ...it's hard not to notice similarities with Einstein's theory of relativity. Others have made the comparison better than me, you can see on the net, and Einstein described Buddhism as the "religion of the future."

Anyway, my question is, can Buddhism offer any clues into the physics of cosmology? in other words, can its insights into the nature of reality help us answer questions such as where does matter come from, is the universe infinite, what is the primal cause of motion, what is the fundamental atom, etc?? My personal theory is something along the lines that with enough scientific insight and use of the space-time model, scientists may one day find that the universe is one single motionless atom... and our perceptions are merely partial comparative measurements of that atom, engendering conceptions of time and space.

Anyone else have similar thoughts?

If we just talk about time & space, we are only talking about 4 dimensions. Based on the a now popular string theory, we are talking about 11 dimensions. Now that would be really difficult to imagine or describe, wouldn't it? Based on the way I was taught, the answer would be difficult to comprehend and would not help us in the path to the enlightenment.

I don't know the answer but I believe that there are links between physics and Buddhism.

String Theory could well provide a mechanism for rebirth and many other phenomena we don't understand - if it can ever be proven by experiment. Some scientists claim it is metaphysics rather than science.

• 5 months later...
When one reads into the more subtle aspects of the enlightenment experience as described by arahats and particularly Zen masters- specifically the absence of the reality of time, and space "...realization that you walked a thousand miles without taking a single step" "all the Buddhist teachings are at the end of this pin" "the bridge moves, not the water" ...it's hard not to notice similarities with Einstein's theory of relativity. Others have made the comparison better than me, you can see on the net, and Einstein described Buddhism as the "religion of the future."

Anyway, my question is, can Buddhism offer any clues into the physics of cosmology? in other words, can its insights into the nature of reality help us answer questions such as where does matter come from, is the universe infinite, what is the primal cause of motion, what is the fundamental atom, etc?? My personal theory is something along the lines that with enough scientific insight and use of the space-time model, scientists may one day find that the universe is one single motionless atom... and our perceptions are merely partial comparative measurements of that atom, engendering conceptions of time and space.

Buddhism per se can offer no insight into physics of any sort. Specifically, Buddha prohibited the monks from discussing or considering anything related to a number of questions including: Is there a God, what is the nature of the universe, etc. He said it was pointless and a waste of time.

The concept is common in Theravada, Zen, Tibetan Buddhism as well as Taoism and others: It is not important to discuss the nature of the universe, it is only important to perfect yourself, and for that, you already know what to do. Of course, then you will know the nature of the universe anyway...

So while Buddhism specifically refrains from discussing physics, meditation apparently can shed all the insight needed!

Leaving Buddhism for a moment, Quantum physics itself makes it clear that there is actually no such thing as matter. (Check out youTube for some neat vids from Cambridge U). There is only energy. Gravitational and electro magnetic fields holding electrons, photons, neutrons et al in place. or not, since they are sentient, telepathic and able to be in two places at once...(I'm not making this up - really...)

Given the illogical nature of Quantum mechanics, it only makes sense that an illogical practice would understand the Quantum world and thus cosmology etc.

Meditation is just such an illogical practice. Imagine, understanding something by not thinking about it. Mr. Spock would have a fit.

Taoism said it best I think: "The Tao you can speak is not the real Tao." Our language, and our linear mode of thought, is incapable of comprehending 11 dimensions, no such thing as time, infinity, etc. Mathematics has already fallen short. Another way of understanding (outside of Newtonian physics) must be applied.

Short answer according to Buddha: Buddhism cannot, meditation can.

However, you might find some very interesting parallels with Kabbalah. And the Rabbis aren't shy of science at all! There are some great books out there and you might enjoy "What the Bleep - Quantum Physics meets Kabbalah"

Anyway, my question is, can Buddhism offer any clues into the physics of cosmology?[/b] in other words, can its insights into the nature of reality help us answer questions such as where does matter come from, is the universe infinite, what is the primal cause of motion, what is the fundamental atom, etc?? My personal theory is something along the lines that with enough scientific insight and use of the space-time model, scientists may one day find that the universe is one single motionless atom... and our perceptions are merely partial comparative measurements of that atom, engendering conceptions of time and space.

I wouldn't have thought so, it's simply not the purpose of Buddhism, the purpose of Buddism is the cessation of suffering inherent in the human condition.

If Buddhism appears to have a commonality with modern science it's because it has a lot of common sense wheras most modern religion doesn't.

There are indications that a fully enlightened person would have a good measure of the knowledge you've described, however generally they don't teach it, they only teach what leads to the the cessation of suffering inherent in the human condition.