Ac Milan Legend, 40 Yr Old Paulo Maldini Retires

Devil

One of the greatest defenders to ever play the game IMO. Amazing to think anyone can play so long at the highest level at 40 yrs of age! Maldini, who made his Milan debut as an 16-year-old substitute back in 1985, has won seven Italian league titles and five European Cups with the club.

I saw this about the fans send off (not so nice that lot are they?)

ESPN Soccernet

Paolo Maldini's final appearance at the San Siro was marred by AC Milan ultra fans unveiling a banner criticising their captain on Sunday.

His day was already ruined by Milan losing 3-2 to AS Roma and they must now avoid defeat at Fiorentina in Sunday's final game of the campaign to secure a berth in next season's Champions League group stages.

The 40-year-old Maldini, who will bid farewell to soccer in Florence after a 24-year career, took a lap of honour around the stadium after the match but not all the Rossoneri fans cheered.

"Thank you captain. On the field you were a never-ending champion but you lacked respect for those who made you rich," read one huge banner, which media reports said referred to a falling out between fans and the player in 2005.

Some supporters then began a chant of "there's only one captain" when another banner displaying the name and number of Franco Baresi was unfurled.

Former Milan captain Baresi passed the armband on to Maldini when he retired.

One-club man Maldini, who will make his 902nd Milan appearance against Fiorentina, shrugged off the protests.

"I'm proud I'm not one of them," he told reporters.

The rest of the Rossoneri fans waved special Maldini scarves while Roma players came back on the pitch at the end wearing T-shirts hailing the defender, who won a record 126 caps for Italy before quitting the international game in 2002.

exciting game that was AC v Roma last night - some of the worst defending I have ever seen - and some great skill.

Old Sylvio looked like a coronary waiting to happen.

Yes was a good game especially the second half. Couple of great free kicks. Risse showing he still has a hammer of a left foot. And you just knew Totti was going to score his free kick.

I must admit young Pato is one for the future been brilliant all season, mostly had to play as a lone striker when Inzaghi was out and can really handle himself. Strange not seen to many Premier league clubs linked with him? Reminds me a bit of how the Brazilain star Bebeto used to play :) .