Backing up outlook folders

Kapow Guy

I'm about to format my hard drive and have no problems backing up all data files. Problem is my Outlook messages.

How can I save them on a CD and then re-install them after I've formatted my laptop. And I mean the whole lot... i.e. inbox, sent items, deleted items, address books, drafts etc.

What is the best procedure to do this. Thanks in advance.

If its "Outlook" everything should be in a file called outlook.pst, or at least with the .pst extension. You can safely copy this file from machine to machine with the minimum of hassle during restoration. (Tools/Options [Mail-Setup] - click the data setup tab.

If it's "Outlook Express" I believe the same is possible, but don't hold me to that. The filename is "inbox.dbx". There are a few more files associated with mail, just do a search and look in the location presented.

Hope this helps,

./P

[Disclaimer] Trying any of the above is at your own risk, and breaking stuff is nothing to do with me :o

Guest IT Manager

go to c/d drive\documents and settings\\local settings\application data\microsoft\outlook

find a file called *.pst. That is your outlook file. Copy it to the CD then when you format, set up outlook, close it, copy the .pst file into above location and your off.

Hi,

or you can use this:

Genie-Soft Backup Manager 4.0 Build 922 - it backs up all your data; your files and folders, e-mails, Outlook Express files, Outlook 2000/XP files, Favorites, Address Book and Fonts. The easiest way to backup your important data to any type of removable media; including floppy disk, ZIP, JAZ, MO, CDR/CD-RW media and more. Genie Backup Manager offers three handy ways for backing up your data that you will choose from according to your need (Normal, Increment and Mirror Backup). An automatic backup scheduler that enables you from starting the backup process at anytime without you being physically there.

Genie Backup Manager uses a wizard-like style of backup and restore that makes it so easy to use and enables all kind of users from backing up their own data. It offers the user an increased backup speed compared to the backups that he used to perform, as Genie Backup Manager employs an advanced On-The-Fly Compression that enables the user from transforming up to 1GB of data into a 650MB backup file that can be stored on a CD-ROM in a fast orderly manner. The automatic media spanning is a feature that makes Genie Backup Manager more adaptable to your requirements. Genie Backup Manager enables you from operating up to 2GB in a single Backup Job. And more possibilities...

If you need "full version" PM me :o

thermo4