Elderly Urged To Take Memory Test Next Month

george

Elderly urged to take memory test next month

BANGKOK: -- In a battle against Alzheimer's disease, relevant agencies are calling on elderly people to take a memory test at 68 health stations in Bangkok between June 1 and June 5.

"If we detect any risk from the very beginning, we can work towards the prevention," Khunying Uraiwan Sirinupong said Monday in her capacity as the deputy chairperson of the Thailand Alzheimer's Foundation.

She said people aged 60 years old up should take the memory test.

Currently, there are over 7,000,000 elderly people in Thailand. It is estimated that more than 1,000,000 of them are now suffering from the Alzheimer's disease.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-05-25

Actually, it is a serious issue. Some take the piss but if you really saw how dreadful it is to see someone not remembering who you are it might not be so funny anymore. I heard stories. Hi, nice to meet you (mother 70 to a son 40).

I think it is a good idea!

Edited by macwalen

Actually, it is a serious issue. Some take the piss but if you really saw how dreadful it is to see someone not remembering who you are it might not be so funny anymore. I heard stories. Hi, nice to meet you (mother 70 to a son 40).

I'll second that idea!!!

Alzheimer can start in the early 40s.

People as young as age 30 or 40 have been reported to have Alzheimer’s disease.

My late brother in law was unable to remember my sister, his his wife for many years.

He could not remember who she was. Its quite hard to take that!

I do that to my son all the time, he still falls for it :)

Seriously. Someone told me once back In The Homeland, he understood why his aged great aunts got alzheimers, they were just so tired of having to meet and be nice to all the condescending sods who came to visit them :D

Believe me, dementia in any form is no laughing matter. I have lost my mother though her body remains.

Mother, Mother can't you see, the stranger before you is really me?

Your second son, the distant one.

I have traveled so far to see your face, please don't deny your loving embrace.

Have read all about it and understand your condition, still can't help looking for some sign of recognition.

If I could peer into your troubled mind, I can't help but wonder what I would find?

Is my dear Mother hiding somewhere, or is there nothing behind that stare?

I've heard it called the long goodbye, for me it's just a terrible way to die.

Pain and pills, depression and despair, after living a good life it just isn't fair.

I know you don't mean to hurt those around you, but the pain we all feel would surely astound you.

Father is doing the best that he can, but he's not a saint, he is merely a man.

My visits are often extended from six weeks to six months, while the rest of the family is hard pressed to manage six days, even once.

Ideas and suggestions of what I should do, all things I've thought of and nothing new.

My dear Father is an archetypal old fashion male, getting him to do anything is a very hard sale.

I'm under pressure to get more done, but he is the Father and I the second son.

Mistakes we have made opportunities missed, all written down would make a very long list.

Perhaps life's entrance is meant to hurt, a poignant reminder we are all headed for dirt.

We think of our bodies as strong when they're frail, no matter how one lives in the end our systems simply fail.

Writing today has led me to weep, reminded what we sow is what we will reap.

Let passion and love fill your life everyday, be bold and live well don't let fear get in the way.

I did not think that there was any 'prevention' available - or is that just mine showing through?

It is a very serious issue - but unless you can really do something about it do you really want to know? Is there really effective treatment?

I can remember many occurrences and specifics about them from 40 to 55 years ago, its what I had for lunch yesterday that gets me confused. I use bank direct payment to get the family off my case about paying the monthly bills, but have forgotten to top up the account at least once, I remember. The family tells me I never said that, but I remember telling them 'NO'(teenagers). Am I there yet, teach?

I did not think that there was any 'prevention' available - or is that just mine showing through?

It is a very serious issue - but unless you can really do something about it do you really want to know? Is there really effective treatment?

Not sure about effective treatment but I've heard some stories claiming nicotine (as in smoking) delays the onset of alzheimers.