Could Someone Please Translate This Immigration Stamp?

Sunny Valentine

post-5167-1243344315_thumb.jpg

Thanks in advance!

No, it is not my passport! An acquaintance of mine told me he was deported. For some reason I don't fully believe him.

Your friend overstayed his visa and the court required him to leave on the date specified.

I posted a reply in your friend's thread in the visa section - thought I would put it here too, in case it's useful. Woops...seems to be a different person - but the stamp is the same!

The stamp says:

This person was brought to trial on the charge of overstaying (literally - staying past the limit of their permission). The court's final decision: immigration give leave to exit the country by **/**/**. (Can't read the date)

Edited by inthepink

Thanks! So an overstay, no deportation. Ok then.

I don't know the legal distinction, but if he was ordered to leave by a certain date, that sounds like a deportation to me.

You may be right but my impression is that deportation requires a forcible removal or act of some sort. All people on a visa are already required to have leave the country or extended by a certain date. The presence of a date by which one must leave the country isn't deportation, just the end of the visa. On an overstay I suspect the new date by which he must leave again isn't a deportation but simply the end date of when he's allowed to be in the country without being subject to further fines/fees and such.

You may be right but my impression is that deportation requires a forcible removal or act of some sort. All people on a visa are already required to have leave the country or extended by a certain date. The presence of a date by which one must leave the country isn't deportation, just the end of the visa. On an overstay I suspect the new date by which he must leave again isn't a deportation but simply the end date of when he's allowed to be in the country without being subject to further fines/fees and such.

Makes me wonder what the wording is on a stamp that is issued in connection with deportation? Or is there no such stamp usually?

Thanks! So an overstay, no deportation. Ok then.

I don't know the legal distinction, but if he was ordered to leave by a certain date, that sounds like a deportation to me.

It is leave to exit the country and a date by which they must do this. You need this permission to leave if you are caught on an overstay - so not really an ordering to get out by that date - no more than a 30 day visa is an order to get out at the expiry date anyway.