Rights Of Non-thai Children Born In Thailand

My wife is pregnant and the baby is due in a few months. We are both non-Thai so therefore, the baby will not have a Thai passport.

I heard a rumour that if our baby is born in Thailand, there are some additional rights that they will have when they turn 18. One of them was that they are allowed to own land, not sure if there were others.

Of course, I suspect that the laws may change in the next 18 years but is there any truth in this rumour? Does the child have any more rights/priviledges than us because they are born here?

Doubt that the baby has any additional rights over any other non-thai national of any age. The only benefit of being a foreign national child is that there is no penalty for overstaying until the child is 7 years old.

My wife is pregnant and the baby is due in a few months. We are both non-Thai so therefore, the baby will not have a Thai passport.

I heard a rumour that if our baby is born in Thailand, there are some additional rights that they will have when they turn 18. One of them was that they are allowed to own land, not sure if there were others.

Of course, I suspect that the laws may change in the next 18 years but is there any truth in this rumour? Does the child have any more rights/priviledges than us because they are born here?

Sad to say but the rumour is but an urban myth.

Illegal Alien would cover the Burmese and other nationalities that sneak

over the border,

plus the farang "overstayer".

The Registered column refers to the marriage, and does not appear to matter very much.

According to the above website, in the case of two legal aliens who have a child in Thailand can claim Thai nationality. I assume this can mean the two parents can be just tourists, because they are legally in the country, or is the info wrong on the website ?

According to the above website, in the case of two legal aliens who have a child in Thailand can claim Thai nationality. I assume this can mean the two parents can be just tourists, because they are legally in the country, or is the info wrong on the website ?

I doubt that many ( if any ) get past the red tape and obstacles placed in the pathway (also if any )

It perhaps should be re-worded, but the basic Thai pincipal for passing on nationality for a child born in a country is exactly the same as say, Australia, UK, Canada.

That is, for a child to gain citizenship in the country of birth, the parent must be either a citizen, or a permanent resident of that country. As such, a child born to tourists to Thailand, or born to a parent on any type of non-immigrant visa (I emphasise the NON in non-immigrant) do not receive any claim to thai nationality unless the other parent is either a Thai citizen or a PR with registered immigrant status.

Other countries citizenship (eg US, Ireland) are primarily based on where that child was born. So for instance, as defined in the US Contitution, a child born on US soil automatically aquires US citizenship, regardless of the parents nationality or immigrant status. Obviously, Thailand does not fall into this category of country.

Edited by samran

It perhaps should be re-worded, but the basic Thai pincipal for passing on nationality for a child born in a country is exactly the same as say, Australia, UK, Canada.

That is, for a child to gain citizenship in the country of birth, the parent must be either a citizen, or a permanent resident of that country. As such, a child born to tourists to Thailand, or born to a parent on any type of non-immigrant visa (I emphasise the NON in non-immigrant) do not receive any claim to thai nationality unless the other parent is either a Thai citizen or a PR with registered immigrant status.

Other countries citizenship (eg US, Ireland) are primarily based on where that child was born. So for instance, as defined in the US Contitution, a child born on US soil automatically aquires US citizenship, regardless of the parents nationality or immigrant status. Obviously, Thailand does not fall into this category of country.

Thanks for clearing that up - i think it does need to be reworded. Also, i believe Ireland changed there citizenship laws a while back: they no longer give citizenship based on being born there.