Bangkok Airways Poor Service High Price

Well, we all know Bangkok Airways have a monopoly at Samui Airport - which we all suffer from due to excessive fares - so for this money you would expect a good service - well, not so, as well as having the most expensive short haul fares in Thailand they are also providing the lowest grade service.

First the food - The last few times we have flown the food they have provided has been disgusting. Simply a dried out bun, overloaded with old lettuce and something they call 'chicken' - but not real chicken - a horrible cold minced patty which simply turns your stomach when you smell it. They offer no options on the flight - if you dont like it you go hungry and to make things worse every flight we have been on in the last year (and there have been over 10 trips) this was the 'lunch'. This last time we told them no we dont want your bad food! Now we have learnt to eat in the VIP area before we got on the flight and the pastry snacks there are fine.

Secondly, the last trip we travelled with our 2 month baby to BKK and when booking we tried to request the front seats due to the baby as there are no seats in front of these to recline should my wife need to feed the baby - most airlines automatically allocate these when they know there's a small child - our baby was in fact just a couple of months old - but not Bangkok Air... we were told that we had to do this on arrival at the airport. So were queued early and when we got to the check in desk they told us as we had a baby to go to a special desk to issue the baby's ticket so lost our place in the queue!! - and to make matters worse my wife waited there for nearly half an hour when they processed this, thus losing our early space in the queue and subsequently all front seats were then allocated to other customers. They also had the cheek to charge 850baht for a baby who had no seat (sat on mothers knee) and ate no food.

Thirdly, after queueing again and we got back to the check in desk we were told all these front seats were taken, so they put us on the second row. We were so angry when we saw that the front seats had no children on them whatsoever - just normal people and another child behind us on row 4 was screamed the whole trip as he had no space to move. When the people in front then reclined their chairs my wife and baby were pushed with no room to spare into their seat. Should be have hit an air pocket or something for sure my baby's head would have smashed into the headrest in fornt which was only 2 inches from his head. Disgraceful. The air hostesses didin't even have the courtesy to ask them to change seats with us.

Fourth - when ferrying to the airplane - we were told to get on the trolley bus shuttle to get to the plane, which I have to admit they gave us priority - BUT then we and our baby were put on the trolley bus shuttle with all other passengers ...yet, next to it was a small 8 seater cart and to our amazement they let on a girl with a bandaged ankle and drove off leaving our 3 months old baby in the heat of 35 degrees sitting on this shuttle bus for nearly 15 minutes on the tarmac ... whilst the bandaged ankle girl was comfortably seated on the plane when we got there.

Then when we dis-embarked the trolley all the customers with their hand luggage barged through us - there was no priority for babies/children first and no Bangkok Airways staff helping us.

Personally, if I had an option at Samui Airport I would NEVER fly Bangkok Airways again!!

I was wondering if any one else has experienced anything like this with Bangkok Airways .... as I am putting in a written complaint to their Director.

First the food - The last few times we have flown the food they have provided has been disgusting. Simply a dried out bun, overloaded with old lettuce and something they call 'chicken' - but not real chicken - a horrible cold minced patty which simply turns your stomach when you smell it. They offer no options on the flight - if you dont like it you go hungry and to make things worse every flight we have been on in the last year (and there have been over 10 trips) this was the 'lunch'. This last time we told them no we dont want your bad food! Now we have learnt to eat in the VIP area before we got on the flight and the pastry snacks there are fine.

Personally I think they should drop the 'meal' - on a one hour flight I hardly see the point - a bottle of water is all you need...

Why so many threads about Bangkok Airways?

You don't like PG? You can fly Thai from Samui, or some low cost from Suratthani.

Booking by internet you can fly PG for as low as 4500 baht, when there is some offer.

And, about the food: right, before the food on PG was better both on board and in the lounges, but, what do you want, eat on a 50 minutes flight?

Why so many threads about Bangkok Airways?

You don't like PG? You can fly Thai from Samui, or some low cost from Suratthani.

Booking by internet you can fly PG for as low as 4500 baht, when there is some offer.

And, about the food: right, before the food on PG was better both on board and in the lounges, but, what do you want, eat on a 50 minutes flight?

Agree, who need food on a short flight? They pay 2 hostess to run to get back food stuff when the airplane is already landing...

And with the new price of the non refundable ticket BKK is also cheap, but if you miss the fly you pay another.

I had ALWAYS missed the booked flight and I never paid a single bath and always got on the first avail plane.

No other airline give me this level of flexibility, apart the old KLM...

But i think they should add more connections from Samui, KL for example......

The last few times we have flown the food they have provided has been disgusting. Simply a dried out bun, overloaded with old lettuce and something they call 'chicken' - but not real chicken - a horrible cold minced patty which simply turns your stomach when you smell it.

i love bangkok airways but agree that the quality of their food has gone way downhill. i used to like their meals but those chicken sandwiches they serve now make me heave. i would rather starve.

With regards to the front row seats you couldn't (or rather shouldn't) have these anyway since these are exit seats and each occupant needs to be able to respond appriorately in an emergency, someone with a baby isn't the best option as you will be distracted from opening the doors etc.. you need two hands blah blah.. I'm sure its a rule. obviously in a 2-3-2 or 3-3/4-3 configuration the middle bulkhead seats are allocated to baby - and Bangkok airways flights are single aisle.

As for food, its a one hour flight, politely decline and just have the water. Food is fine as a snack (have tried all varierty from bun/bagette to tuna/chicken etc..) - yes a little dry on the bun - but rather have a quick snack rather than a full airline meal built into price.

As for price, its competitive for air travel even in the absence of competitors - fares book in advance start from 2100 of which I have been able to get no problem recently. What other airline provides free wifi, drinks and little desertishy snacks in depatures.

Come europe - fly ryanair or easyjet (same same market) and then complain. Bangkok airways do a fine service from my experience over the past three months, perhaps they have declined but its still good for the price.

With regards to the front row seats you couldn't (or rather shouldn't) have these anyway since these are exit seats and each occupant needs to be able to respond appriorately in an emergency, someone with a baby isn't the best option as you will be distracted from opening the doors etc.. you need two hands blah blah.. I'm sure its a rule. obviously in a 2-3-2 or 3-3/4-3 configuration the middle bulkhead seats are allocated to baby - and Bangkok airways flights are single aisle.

As for food, its a one hour flight, politely decline and just have the water. Food is fine as a snack (have tried all varierty from bun/bagette to tuna/chicken etc..) - yes a little dry on the bun - but rather have a quick snack rather than a full airline meal built into price. Says a salesman.

As for price, its competitive for air travel even in the absence of competitors - fares book in advance start from 2100 of which I have been able to get no problem recently. What other airline provides free wifi, drinks and little desertishy snacks in depatures.So says a salesman

Come europe - fly ryanair or easyjet (same same market) and then complain.(why Europe? Compare with other Asian cheap flight Operators. They are far better) Bangkok airways do a fine service from my experience over the past three months, perhaps they have declined but its still good for the price....err No they're not.

Sounds like a corporate man talking.

As for food, its a one hour flight, politely decline and just have the water. Food is fine as a snack (have tried all varierty from bun/bagette to tuna/chicken etc..) - yes a little dry on the bun - but rather have a quick snack rather than a full airline meal built into price. Says a salesman.

As for price, its competitive for air travel even in the absence of competitors - fares book in advance start from 2100 of which I have been able to get no problem recently. What other airline provides free wifi, drinks and little desertishy snacks in depatures.So says a salesman

Come europe - fly ryanair or easyjet (same same market) and then complain.(why Europe? Compare with other Asian cheap flight Operators. They are far better) Bangkok airways do a fine service from my experience over the past three months, perhaps they have declined but its still good for the price....err No they're not.

All i want is to see 2,900 round trip fares samui/bkk

2 month old babies shouldn't be on planes imo and certainly not given preferential treatment , buy your own plane problem sorted.

DUH!!!! Get a brain 'BusyBee123' ... What??? Should we take a 12 hour boat/road trip or 17 hour boat/train journey instead to Bangkok? Great idea!! Sure the kid is going to love that! Get real!! What's your next point? - children shouldn't travel at all at that age?? You know what, we do have family to visit here in Thailand who want to see our child or should we restrict them from seeing their grandchildren? Stupid remarks like this only go to show how limited intelligence some people have. Children whatever age have the right to fly just as you do. The W.H.O. or the Airline don't state any issues with young children flying. And statements such as no preferential treatment for children is just pure stupidity and selfishness. God help any kids you have! No more stupid remarks please.

I don't think a 2 month olds ears should be subject to the changes in air pressure at such a young age smarty pants. Your rants are enjoyable please carry on i'm sure your wife loves them too as do your fellow passengers you sound like a real bundle of fun.

Interestingly the op's complain list starts with his culinary disappointment and then all the others points follow. It seems that if the airlines food would be fine and he could fill him self up, there would not be a complain at all.

I don't think a 2 month olds ears should be subject to the changes in air pressure at such a young age smarty pants.

I thought that as well, but according to several baby-centered internet sites, while the child can experience some discomfort on take-offs or landings, there really isn't anything to worry about- it's safe for babies 2 weeks and up to fly (though the younger the baby is the less-developed his/her immune system will be, which means a higher risk of picking up germs from other passengers).

I don't think a 2 month olds ears should be subject to the changes in air pressure at such a young age smarty pants.

I thought that as well, but according to several baby-centered internet sites, while the child can experience some discomfort on take-offs or landings, there really isn't anything to worry about- it's safe for babies 2 weeks and up to fly (though the younger the baby is the less-developed his/her immune system will be, which means a higher risk of picking up germs from other passengers).

Sites sponsored by airline companies no doubt :)

The OP certainly sounds upset and it seems to me he was expecting preferential treatment travelling with a small baby. I suspect from reading his post that his anger could well have shone through and the staff quite possibly reacted Thai style. I think he needs to choose his words carefully if he's looking for an apology when writing a letter of complaint.

I have to agree, the catering used to be better regardless of the fact that it's a very short haul, they used to serve some delicious nibbles.

I fly regularly with the airline and have with a small baby also and personally find their service very good and love the ticket flexibility. The resident card is well worth applying for for regular flyers.

Regards Bojo

Thanks 'onthesnap' - good that someone else understands my post and can pass on useful information. :-) Thanks.

Well, we all know Bangkok Airways have a monopoly at Samui Airport - which we all suffer from due to excessive fares - so for this money you would expect a good service - well, not so, as well as having the most expensive short haul fares in Thailand they are also providing the lowest grade service.

Secondly, the last trip we travelled with our 2 month baby to BKK and when booking we tried to request the front seats due to the baby as there are no seats in front of these to recline should my wife need to feed the baby - most airlines automatically allocate these when they know there's a small child - our baby was in fact just a couple of months old - but not Bangkok Air... we were told that we had to do this on arrival at the airport. So were queued early and when we got to the check in desk they told us as we had a baby to go to a special desk to issue the baby's ticket so lost our place in the queue!! - and to make matters worse my wife waited there for nearly half an hour when they processed this, thus losing our early space in the queue and subsequently all front seats were then allocated to other customers. They also had the cheek to charge 850baht for a baby who had no seat (sat on mothers knee) and ate no food.

Thirdly, after queueing again and we got back to the check in desk we were told all these front seats were taken, so they put us on the second row. We were so angry when we saw that the front seats had no children on them whatsoever - just normal people and another child behind us on row 4 was screamed the whole trip as he had no space to move. When the people in front then reclined their chairs my wife and baby were pushed with no room to spare into their seat. Should be have hit an air pocket or something for sure my baby's head would have smashed into the headrest in fornt which was only 2 inches from his head. Disgraceful. The air hostesses didin't even have the courtesy to ask them to change seats with us.

Fourth - when ferrying to the airplane - we were told to get on the trolley bus shuttle to get to the plane, which I have to admit they gave us priority - BUT then we and our baby were put on the trolley bus shuttle with all other passengers ...yet, next to it was a small 8 seater cart and to our amazement they let on a girl with a bandaged ankle and drove off leaving our 3 months old baby in the heat of 35 degrees sitting on this shuttle bus for nearly 15 minutes on the tarmac ... whilst the bandaged ankle girl was comfortably seated on the plane when we got there.

Then when we dis-embarked the trolley all the customers with their hand luggage barged through us - there was no priority for babies/children first and no Bangkok Airways staff helping us.

Personally, if I had an option at Samui Airport I would NEVER fly Bangkok Airways again!!

I was wondering if any one else has experienced anything like this with Bangkok Airways .... as I am putting in a written complaint to their Director.

I think the food is great for such a short flight, I always look forward to it and save it for later if I don't want it then. Staff has always been very courteous and helpful to me...have to say they are FAR better than any european or american airline. That said, yes, they are really screwing all of us who have to travel on and off the island a lot...the price is clearly a result of their unfair monopoly.

They offer no options on the flight - if you dont like it you go hungry

Go hungry by not having food on a 45 minute flight? :):D Most people would be surprised to see any food at all on a flight like that, and certainly wouldn't "go hungry" if there wasn't any.

By the way, the price BKK - USM isn't too bad, I flew for about 1,800 Baht each way in April. Much worse is the BKK - Siem Reap route - now that really is overpriced.

I think the food is great for such a short flight, I always look forward to it and save it for later if I don't want it then. Staff has always been very courteous and helpful to me...have to say they are FAR better than any european or american airline. That said, yes, they are really screwing all of us who have to travel on and off the island a lot...the price is clearly a result of their unfair monopoly.

You think the food is great???you save it for later??you have rocks in your head ,or you come from england where they are used to eating really bad food,thats why they talk so weird,and act so silly.mmm that bkk roll is now 2 days old ,ill think ill save 10 bht and enjoy it now ,good idea ,,,,,not

All i want is to see 2,900 round trip fares samui/bkk

your opinion is as valid as mine, I disagree with you on some points but that's debate for you.

Edited by mattcodes

Bangkok Airways have a 'monopoly' at Samuoi airport because they paid for it - what business in their right mind would invest heavily in infrastructure and then give it to their competitors?

As regards the OP's demand for VIP treatment simply because he has a baby, thats absurd. I paid as much for my ticket as you, yet I have to give up my front seat so you are more comfortable, a special golf cart has to be laid on just for you and your offspring - the rest of us are also uncomfortable but please, will SOMEBODY think of the children! Once the trolley bus gets there everybody should sit and wait until you and your brood are ready to get on board - you seem to be under the delusion you are some kind of celebrity for breeding! You cannot expect sympathy from those of us that travel regularly and have to put up with travellers like yourself - loaded up with so much extra carry on because the baby needs bags of stuff apparently, taking ages to decide which bags will go into the overhead and which must stay under the seat in front in case the baby needs changing/feeding/entertaining. Then the baby cries loudly the whole way because it doesn't like the noise and wants to crawl down the aisle. I think you get off lightly getting charged only 850 baht for all the extra weight and processing you take up.

I've traveled with my son when he was very young and it really added to the ordeal of flying. I've appreciated the ability to board early and get myself set up (as I don't have to rush as much to avoid inconveniencing other passengers)- a seat with a bit more room to maneuver is also a blessing. :)

ANYTHING that can be done to make the baby/young child a bit more comfortable and less fussy is only going to make the experience better for everybody (and we've all got a "crying baby on the plane" story- wouldn't you like to avoid that if possible?)

There was a great out-pouring of support recently for a stray dog someone was helping on the forum- is there no good will left over for a someone dealing with a baby? :D

Edited by OnTheSnap

It's probably the way that the OP originally stated the complaints, OntheSnap. Whilst your post was conciliatory and suggested something that would help all travellers, the OP was only concerned with himself and how much more important he was (notice that in his view, the girl with the possibly broken and certainly painful ankle did not deserve any such treatment, and the people in the first row certainly did not deserve to sit there). I've voluntarily switched seats on planes in order to let people sit together, and have been asked and agreed to switch the front row seats for a baby on a 10 hour flight - but that was when I was asked nicely. Personally on a 45 minute flight I don't care where I sit son long as it's in the cabin, I don't eat the food as I can survive for 45 minutes without eating and I appreciate that in both Samui and BKK airports you get free drinks and snacks, in BKK there was even free beer (as a premier member they put me in the special room all on my own). The thing I most like is the ability to book and change flights online, any number of times, without cost. Overall I find the airline to be helpful and freindly, never had an issue with them. Don't even get me started on Finnair, who I now refuse to use even though it adds hours to my journey.

• 2 weeks later...

You think the food is great???you save it for later??you have rocks in your head ,or you come from england where they are used to eating really bad food,thats why they talk so weird,and act so silly.mmm that bkk roll is now 2 days old ,ill think ill save 10 bht and enjoy it now ,good idea ,,,,,not

:)

Ever visited London or such places in the UK? Plenty of Michelin starred restaurants and restaurants featuring cuisine from every country in the world, including our own. You're about 50 years out of date my friend.

What's weird about English btw? It's the main language in use on this forum unless I'm much mistaken, or is it the "English/UK" accent (take your pick as there's quite a few of them) that you don't approve of? What's the "correct" one to use in your view? :D

As for BKK Airways, I have no problem with them at all. Flown with them loads of times and haven't been letdown yet. Agree the food has gone downhill (then again I shouldn't notice as I'm only used to eating really bad food) but weigh up the product against your typical short-haul operation in Europe and they compare very favourably. It's a full-service airline, not some low-cost operation like Ryanair. Free-wifi, nibbles, lounge, new aircraft etc.I don't know who the OP is used to flying with in Europe but I find their comments way off-base really. I believe BKK Airways have won Skytrax best regional airline award for Asia for the last 5 or 6 years so they must be doing something right? There is always the option of the business class seating on the new Airbus aircraft if you want the extra space for your baby. As Mattcodes pointed out, you couldn't/shouldn't be in an exit row. Also, if baby is wearing the seatbelt extension you should be safe.

Edited by MarkyM3

sounds like somone who has issues with people who work talking.

as to the op, you post screams of new parent syndrome. i too travel with a child, it is a choice you made, learn to deal with it.

sorry you had to eat in the vip lounge.

i truly detest bangkok air for the fact that they are always late, you are simply whingeing.

edit: i just reread the OP, just who exactly do you think you are? were tyou this much of a prat before you had children? nobody owes you anything mate, accept it and move on.

Edited by t.s

• 1 month later...

On the snap thanks for your supportive response.

To give credit to Bangkok Airways they have responded and are aware of these issues, and may, in the future address the problem.

In the meantime, it appears nothing will change so simply have to accept it as it is.

Post closed.

The last few times we have flown the food they have provided has been disgusting. Simply a dried out bun, overloaded with old lettuce and something they call 'chicken' - but not real chicken - a horrible cold minced patty which simply turns your stomach when you smell it.

i love bangkok airways but agree that the quality of their food has gone way downhill. i used to like their meals but those chicken sandwiches they serve now make me heave. i would rather starve.

totally disagree, I think their food is generally great!....including the chicken sandwiches...really :D Yes, they are a monopoly and very overpriced...but try flying in America and you will instantly LOVE BKKAir! :)