Chatuchalk Market

peregrine8

Hi ~ Chattuchak market is a truly amazing place for those who like an eclectic mix of products, food & people. You're right on to think about getting there early. Arriving between 9 a.m and 10 a.m will insure most people are open and the crowds aren't too thick yet.... by mid - afternoon the center parts of the market can be unbearable to try to get through...

I recommend staying on the circle road that goes around the inside of the market.... there is plenty and I mean plenty to see from here and you have some space to walk... when you start turning into the inner paths it becomes a maze of bodies and small stalls and can be very difficult to get through and to find your way around.

Make sure you have a meeting place figured out with whoever you're traveling with in case you get separated....

Also consider arriving by subway as this will pop you out right in the perfect spot in the market to start your day... and when things start to get too crowded you can just "call it" and jump back on :.) try the coconut icecream (served in the small coconut) that is right outside the subway.... it's delicious!!

Enjoy your day and don't let anybody tell you not to go ~ it's truly a one of kind place and experience and not to be missed!

Definately arrive in the morning, and be sure to explore the inner parts of the market, but don't expect to see it all in one day.

BEWARE of the pickpockets!!!!!! I had a new mobile lifted the last time I was there, and I was being carefull. They are very proffesional

For certain reasons I need to go there by car - my own, ie no taxi option. How would I best do that - rough directions coming from outside bkk, parking location etc ?

Parking at JJ Mall is easy and convenient.  There are a plethora of places across the road from JJ, though, which offer parking a varying rates.

For certain reasons I need to go there by car - my own, ie no taxi option. How would I best do that - rough directions coming from outside bkk, parking location etc ?

On google I easily found this....

http://www.jatujakguide.com/main/about_jj_eng.htm

Unfortunately the map is illegible and therefore unusable on my laptop.

I found this website.........

http://www.jatujakguide.com/home/bangkok_map

:)

Thank you. I inferred from the info on the website that the nearest BYS is Mo Chit. How much of a walk from there?

I have been referred to a shop there which will renovate a couple of rusting but working electric fans I bought elsewhere. They are very heavy hence I'm bringing them to BKK in my car.

Parking at JJ Mall is easy and convenient.  There are a plethora of places across the road from JJ, though, which offer parking a varying rates.

This seems useful, but how far is it to walk from there? (Of course I'll first have to locate JJ Mall!)

You want them newly painted or something?

Why not drive up to a car repair center and let them do it there, I think a lot cheaper.

Not that simple methinks. I want the rust rubbed off the body and cage and then perhaps painted; , and the brass fan blades need to cleaned and polished. They probably need to be dismantled somewhat to do all that. I agree that a versatile and willing mechanic should be able to do all that but unfortunately I don't know one, and I'm too lazy to try to do it myself. I was referred to this chap in Chatuchak by a shop which had such renovated fans for sale.