Thai In Word For Mac?

noahvail

I've done a search here, but can't find anything recent. Does Word for Mac support Thai, or is there a Mac-friendly word processor out there other than textedit? Thanks.

Yes, you can type Thai with Word for Mac. I have Word for Mac and it does support Thai.

I've done a search here, but can't find anything recent. Does Word for Mac support Thai, or is there a Mac-friendly word processor out there other than textedit? Thanks.

You can also use Pages in the iWork folder in Applications.

Thanks for the info and the quick responses :) I'll give Pages a try, as I'm trying to use both English and Thai in the same document (should have specified that before...oh well, it was late...)

I never use Word for Thai in Mac but if memory serves it works just fine. It also works in Firefox (and on sites such as Yahoo Mail, Google, Gmail, Facebook, etc.), though there's an annoying display problem sometimes with some of the vowels appearing a character ahead of where they should be. Rest assured that those who read what you type will see it displayed correctly, however...trust me, I do tons of typing in Firefox in Thai daily.

One solution to the above problem is to use a very basic freeware word processor called Bean. You type your Thai e-mail or post or whatever in that, then paste it into whatever site your text is destined for. At least that way, while you're typing it you won't be thrown off by the weird display of the vowels.

Another word processor (actually, an entire MS Office freeware alternative) in which Thai works fine is Neo Office.

preahko

Thanks for the info and the quick responses :) I'll give Pages a try, as I'm trying to use both English and Thai in the same document (should have specified that before...oh well, it was late...)

Both Pages and word work with Thai. I used to use Word but now stick to pages. Never had a problem with Thai fonts.

Nidge

• 1 month later...

I bought iWork in order to get Pages. (It didn't come with my new MacMini, purchased in Thailand this year.) I'm very sorry that I did:

1 - It does not import Word documents with text fill-in boxes. For example, the Immigration forms on the Thai Immigration web site come with fill-in text boxes. Pages simply ignores them.

2 - Pages saves documents in its own format. If you want to save in Word (.doc) format you have to specify that each and every time you save. Very inconvenient.

3 - Pages is incompatible with OS/X's Fast User Switching feature. If FUS is enabled and other users are logged in but switched out, Pages freezes constantly. This is incredibly annoying. (Pages is the only program I've ever encountered that is incompatible with FUS....)

If I'm wrong about any of the above, I'd love to hear about it.

I have to admit, though, that when it comes to handling Thai text, Pages wins, hands down. Miles ahead of Open Office and the rest.

1 - It does not import Word documents with text fill-in boxes. For example, the Immigration forms on the Thai Immigration web site come with fill-in text boxes. Pages simply ignores them.

I tried out the tm.7 and tm.8 on Pages. They look fine to me and I can type in to fill in the blanks. I did get a warning that a field was not imported but can't find anything missing.

I tried out the tm.7 and tm.8 on Pages. They look fine to me and I can type in to fill in the blanks. I did get a warning that a field was not imported but can't find anything missing.

The first attachment shows how Open Office handled the TM7. It imported all the fields as fill-in fields. You click on the field and select from the list.

The second attachment shows how Pages handled the TM7. It imported some of the fields (skipped the month) and did not import any of the text fill-in fields.

post-62962-1247122712_thumb.jpg

post-62962-1247122857_thumb.jpg

The second attachment shows how Pages handled the TM7. It imported some of the fields (skipped the month) and did not import any of the text fill-in fields.

My form on pages does not look like yours. It does not skip the month and year. There are no fill in text boxes, but I can live with that.

I don't know how to take a picture to show you like you did, but I will try and add an attachment here you can open with preview.

My form on pages does not look like yours. It does not skip the month and year. There are no fill in text boxes, but I can live with that.

I don't know how to take a picture to show you like you did, but I will try and add an attachment here you can open with preview.

If I open the form from the Immigration web site in Pages it looks just like yours. The form I showed in my post is that form, but with the text fill-in fields already filled out (by me, using Open Office). If Pages was really a good substitute for Word on the Mac then it would properly import all of those fill-in fields. It does not. It does import some of the data (date and year, for example), but it skips other data (the month, for example).

So, if you can "live with" only partial compatibility with MS Word, then Pages is OK.