Kubota M5000

I am looking for a Kubota M5000. I have 120 rai of Euca in Udon and will end up with around 250-300 rai. I need a plow, PTO, a hydraulic blade, maybe a tiller, canopy, and beer holder of course. I like new but would not pass up a good 2nd hand one. I was also thinking of a rack or trailor or something for weed spray.

Can anyone tell me what a good price would be new? Know of any very good used ones and at what cost? I am coming to Thailand in July and promised my wifes brother that I would but a tractor to make working our land easier (plus he wants to do some contract plowing). thanks for the input.

Hi,

Just wondering why you would be interested in a 50hp tractor.

Would you not be better off with say a smaller tractor and a small macro for the same price.

Or a bigger hp tractor that can use a ripper when required.

Farming in thailand = common sense.(which the majority thais lack)

And with a 50 hp tractor you will be rueing the mistake to take the time to study what you really need.

I am looking for a Kubota M5000. I have 120 rai of Euca in Udon and will end up with around 250-300 rai. I need a plow, PTO, a hydraulic blade, maybe a tiller, canopy, and beer holder of course. I like new but would not pass up a good 2nd hand one. I was also thinking of a rack or trailor or something for weed spray.

Can anyone tell me what a good price would be new? Know of any very good used ones and at what cost? I am coming to Thailand in July and promised my wifes brother that I would but a tractor to make working our land easier (plus he wants to do some contract plowing). thanks for the input.

Hi

i think you have to see from here http://www.siamkubota.co.th/en/index.aspx you can ask price and some thing.

Hi,

Just wondering why you would be interested in a 50hp tractor.

Would you not be better off with say a smaller tractor and a small macro for the same price.

Or a bigger hp tractor that can use a ripper when required.

Farming in thailand = common sense.(which the majority thais lack)

And with a 50 hp tractor you will be rueing the mistake to take the time to study what you really need.

Yeah I agree I do not know what I really need. That is why I posted here. My brother in law said an L4500 is what we need but I like to error on the larger side...bigger is better in most cases. So help me out here...if I am plowing open land and the occasional weeds that grown between the Euca rows, what size Kubota do you think is right?

120rai now - possibly going up to 250-300rai?

Pass on with the M5000 - a nice machine, no question about it, but you will be better off investing in a used 6610 or 7610 (Ford - and all the better if it's a turbo'd 4WD example). It will be cheaper to purchase, cheaper to run/maintain and will give you higher productivity (i.e. more work done per hour/day).

Give some thought to purchasing (at auction) in the UK (or where ever you are in Europe) - this potentially could save you +/- 30% on the same type/model in the same condition/purchased in Thailand (markups on imported used Ford 66/76 XX type tractors from Europe to Thailand start at around 30%, and go up from there in some cases to over 70%).

Almost all the used Fords you see on the forecourts of Thai dealers are basket cases, sourced mainly from Dutch, Belgian, French, German and over the last year or so, UK (because of the weak Pound) auction yards. They get broken down into there main parts and stuffed into containers, to be brought into Thailand as "used tractor spares". When they get here they are put back together, given a basic service, any major parts needing replacing are replaced (usualy with local or Chinese made countefeit alternatives) and given a lick of paint (if needed) - then retailed with markups starting at 30% (net)!

So - do it yourself if so inclined - break the tractor down into its half dozen or so main components:

- mainblock

- rear trumpets

- cab - if it has

- front axle, tyres on rims

- transmission and rearend

It will all fit into a small container. Bring into Thailand as used agriculature/tractor spares (which will cost you around 5% in CIF duties).

While at it also include a decent set of used rear rubber (+/- 75% tread) - local Ynbao brand tractor tyres may be cheap, but they are as good as crap and won;t last long (poor quality compounds, weak/thin sidewalls) - they will be outlasted by lmost any 75% tread'd used European brand.

Throw in some other spares:

- hydraulic and engine filters

- spare turbo (if its a turbo'd model)

- spare hydraulic pump steering pumps

- fuel pumps (both tank lift and high pressure injector pumps)

.... and anything else you think you'll need.

You'll have stock for yourself, but more importantly you'll have no prob's selling any extra used parts like those above - theres a constant demand for them in Thailand. Choose carefully, and the extra's can be sold off to recover a large percentage (if not all) of the capital outlay you spent on buying your tractor.

Funds permitting, get your plough in Europe as well - a used off-set (disc) in Europe will offer you better value for money (and life, and durability than most of the Thai made ploughs) - break it down as well, and put it into the container (along with spare discs).

Hydraulic blade (?) - get that in Thailand

Last but not least - in the unlikely event your Thai plans go tits up or change (for whatever reason), you'll have no prob's offloading a used Ford and receovering your initial outlay - far quciker and for a much better price than any new or used Kubota. Ongoing demand for them ensures they retain higher residual/used values than Kubota (...or any other brand for that matter).

Hi,

I tend to agree with maizefarmer,around 75 horsepower up.

Everyone has different ideas in farming,to me if i was planting trees rather than ploughing land i would use a knockdown chemical and setup a ripper on the tractor to rip lines for the trees.

Everytime you plough land you bring up another seven years worth of weed seeds.

So minimal soil disturbance will save you a lot on row maintenence.

Many people often account for the planting side of farming but forget about the harvesting costs.

So tractor,sprayer,trailer,ripper,genset,chainsaw,pickup and your stubby holder should see you thru.

You could also interow crop between the tree lines for a cash crop,but it will retard the growth of the trees which to me deafeats the purpose of growing trees in the first place.

Just remember whatever size you purchase initially,after a short time you will be looking to make the job easier and faster and that means bigger equipment.

Farmerjo

Be aware that, although Ford (New Holland) make good tractors, they are quite a bit more expensive than the Kubotas for a similar spec.

If your bil is going to be contract ploughing rice fields beware that they can be quite soft and the higher hp tractors can be heavy and tend to sink in.

I've fount that the smaller tractors can struggle in the heavy going.

Totally agree,

Ive been plugging away with a 22 hp kubota clearing and working land to put in 10 rai of corn after 15 inches of rain in the last half of may as a bigger tractor cannot get on the land.

This wet start to the season is an exception to the rule.

The question for the op is does he want a tractor suitable for income for him and his wife or is it a present with all expenses paid for the bil to make an income.

Having dug myself out of the bog so many times lately i actually purchased a set of steel wheel duels for the small tractor,havent been bogged since.But a shrewd dealer charging 16000 baht for a set is going to take a lot of wet fields to pay for them,anyway still happy to turn a wheel.

Farmerjo

Totally agree,

Ive been plugging away with a 22 hp kubota clearing and working land to put in 10 rai of corn after 15 inches of rain in the last half of may as a bigger tractor cannot get on the land.

The question for the op is does he want a tractor suitable for income for him and his wife or is it a present with all expenses paid for the bil to make an income.

Having dug myself out of the bog so many times lately i actually purchased a set of steel wheel duels for the small tractor,havent been bogged since.But a shrewd dealer charging 16000 baht for a set is going to take a lot of wet fields to pay for them,anyway still happy to turn a wheel.

Farmerjo

Interesting. So the smaller ones don't sink in as much. What about the beach or sand? Thanks. :)

Smaller tractors don;t "sink" as much (??)

Yes and No - it comes down to:

- application (use of the tractor)

- setup (total tractor weight/mass versus tyre volume)

In short it's my experiance that "sinking" is not a problem (no matter how big and/or heavy your tractor is) - and when it is, it is easy to deal with.

There are a number of aspects about the big Fords (big meaning: versus the smaller framed Kubota's, Iseki's, Yanmars ect ect ...) that put them ahead of, or give them an advantage over, the other smaller model brands.

Axle ground clearance

The Fords (6610 & 76190 types) in almost every setup/config (setup/config read as: choice of rim/tyre diameter combination chosen) will offer higher ground clearance. Tyre/rim combinations, and the multitude of options avalible can provide up to 1,3 meter axial clearance.

Tyre volume

The choice of rim types avalible for 6610's/7610's is large - and displacement volumes (per tyre) of up to nearly 30% (tractor weight) are possible to get in Thailand. Downside - large volume tyres are not cheap in Thailand as they are all imported. But never fear - go for "duals" (i.e. 2 conventional sized tyres per per axle end - as in the photo below).

There are not may 6610's/7610's around with extended axle stub's (if you can get a example with extended axle stubs, get it). Easier to use "clip ons" i.e. standard rims with dual wheel kits welded on (see picture below) - essentialy a piece of U-formed steel welded to outer flange the inner (original) rim, and a reciprocating piece welded to the inner flange of the second/outer rim.

Long steel bolts pass through the U-form, then bolt up - thats all there is to it.

You can bolt up so the tyre walls are in friction contact with each other, or you can make a spacer, to place between the 2 rims to keep the tyre walls apart. Using a spacer is the prefferred way of doing it (it allows each tyre to "work" independantly)

That all said - nothing to stop one putting duals onto the smaller type of tractors - though stability with them in rice paddies can become an issue.

A good wheel alternative (front & rear) for smaller tractors used primarily in rice paddies which use no tyre, are tyre-less wheels, manufactured from reinforcing-bar - they are cheap as chips and easy to manufacture, and they are extremely efficient and effective in rice paddies (see last picture below).

post-32552-1244291287_thumb.jpg

post-32552-1244291293_thumb.jpg

post-32552-1244291744_thumb.jpg

Totally agree,

Farmerjo

Thanks for that information. I feel better now since I paid 10,000 baht for steel wheels for my 4WD 30HP Yanmar. I thought that was too much. I was looking for steel wheels for the front but my wife convinced me to give up and let her nephews use the iron buffalo. That has been working great. :)

post-17093-1244295197_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gary A

Hi gary,

Thought my price was over the top but had a program to complete so had to bite the bullet.

Looking at your picture,i wanted to put my duels on same way as yours but fil convinced me that they had to be the opposite way round so the leading edge dug in rather than trying to float.

Have you tried both ways.

Maizefarmer,nice picture of the big girl,dont think that will get bogged in a hurry,although if it did it would be an excavator job to get it out.

Hi gary,

Thought my price was over the top but had a program to complete so had to bite the bullet.

Looking at your picture,i wanted to put my duels on same way as yours but fil convinced me that they had to be the opposite way round so the leading edge dug in rather than trying to float.

Maizefarmer,nice picture of the big girl,dont think that will get bogged in a hurry,although if it did it would be an excavator job to get it out.

I didn't try them the other way with the Yanmar but the wife's nephew did with the iron buffalo. It quickly dug itself into a deep hole. I think you'll discover that you are after flotation rather than traction.

Hi gary,

Yer ... that's the problem with big tractors in Thailand (the actual one in the photo is not mine, but I do have and use the same type) - they take a lot to get bogged down, but it does happen occassionaly, and they're then complete bastards to get out as there is usualy no one around with a tractor big enough to help.

But, there is a way to get yourself out without the help of another tractor (and the technique is as good with any tractor - small or big, 2WD or 4WD): stick 2 posts in the ground about 20-30yards ahead of the machine, tie a decent sized length of rope to each post. stretch them out, loop each one around a front tyre - stick the beast into 4WD (if you have 4WD), put diff lock on, select low range, 2nd gear should be fine, then wind the ropes up on the tyres - using tyre friction: basicaly you use the tyre becomes a large diameter winch drum. The advantage with 4WD? - you're not forced into having to winch up on the rear rubber where there'll usualy be a great big bloody plough/trailer .. or whatever on the hitch.

Gary A

T30 - Gary, have any idea which market the T30 manufactured for (I can't find it on any of the NH websites) ? There is a TC30 - but it looks quite different.

If anyone can find any reference on the net to the NH T30, please let me know. I have a slight suspicion this may be a counterfeit - if not, possibly an NH product licensed for 3rd party manufacture.

Just by way of interest, Chinese manufactured copies/counterfeits of small/medium sized NH tractors do exist and sell quite well in India/Pakistan and China its self!

If I were in the market for a tractor, there are two on Baht Sold. A T30 New Holland and a 5000 Kubota. Both look new and both are priced right. Here is the link;

http://www.bahtsold.com/index.php?region=2...y=24&price=

The Kubota doesn't have a green book as the guy claims he has lost it. It can be replaced by going back to the dealer where the guy says he bought it from but it seems the guy isn't overly interested in doing that to sell it as he believes you don't need one. So what would it be worth without a green book then - still 400k? Also the tractor is now being used by his FiL to earn some money doing field work, so the "farang owner" value is diminished while the hours are clocking up.

I bought my Yanmar new and never got a book with it. I wouldn't worry about it.

OK if you bought it new (I'm waiting for my book and plate to arrive from Kubota), but buying secondhand, how do you know it hasn't been financed etc? 400k seems a fair enough price but do you get peace of mind as well? You may be right about not worrying about it but 400k is a hit to ones pocket if everything isn't 100% - look at all the recent trouble with the bikes not having books and being seized. Not trying to talk anyone out of it, but I looked at it before opting to buy a new one.

I bought my Yanmar new and never got a book with it. I wouldn't worry about it.

OK if you bought it new (I'm waiting for my book and plate to arrive from Kubota), but buying secondhand, how do you know it hasn't been financed etc? 400k seems a fair enough price but do you get peace of mind as well? You may be right about not worrying about it but 400k is a hit to ones pocket if everything isn't 100% - look at all the recent trouble with the bikes not having books and being seized. Not trying to talk anyone out of it, but I looked at it before opting to buy a new one.

I also called Mr. Alain, unfortunately he’s not all straight. Stay away from that deal.

The tractor book is in his first wife’s name and is financed.

She won’t part with it unless he pays her off , the second wife is trying to get a new book ??

That’s the English version .

My wife talked with the second wife in Thai, the story was entirely different. I quit !

regards