Single Entry Visa Question

Greetings all. I just moved to Thailand 2 weeks ago. I am currently on a single entry 60 day tourist visa. Here's the problem: My friend is coming from abroad in about 2 weeks and he wants to visit Burma. If I go with him, will my visa expire, notwithstanding the fact that it will still have 30 days remaining?

If it does, and I re-enter Thailand on a 30 day visa, can I still get my 60 day visa renewed, as per normal, in Laos or Malaysia? Or, better yet, is it possible to get my 60 day visa renewed in Burma, notwithstanding the fact that it will yet to have expire?

I'm sorry if these questions seem dim-witted, but I don't want to accompany my friend to Burma if the end result is having to return to my home country, at no small expense, in order to secure another 60 day visa. Thanks in advance for any help.

Manos

notwithstanding the fact that it will yet to have expire?

It will be deemed to of expired once you exit Thailand for Burma. As Toastwars points out providing you are from one of the "tourist visa exemption" countries you will be able to re-enter Thailand and obtain a further 30 days stay............Not sure how "user friendly" the Thai Embassy/Consulate in Burma is though..........your best bet is to return on 30 day stay and plan a trip to Malaysia for you next Tourist visa. If you are travelling back into Thailand overland make sure you have "funds" on you incase you are asked to show them at the border ...............if you are flying back in to Thailand from Burma it may be a good idea to have some form of onward ticket to exit Thailand before the 30 day stay is up or you may be refused boarding on the plane in Burma.

Edited by thaiflyer1

The Tourist Visa in you passport has already been stamped USED.

However you can make a side trip to Burma without invalidating your current entry stamp.

Go to immigration before you leave for Burma and ask for a Re-Entry permit.

This will allow you to come back into Thailand and stay until the end of the period

already stamped in you passport..

The cost is 1000 baht.

This will allow you to come back into Thailand and stay until the end of the period

The cost is 1000 baht.

Your correct in what you say Astral but there is not much point in his case he will of effectivley used 30 days of his visa already by the time he returns from Burma so he may as well (providing he comes from a qualifying country) simply re-enter and obtain a 30 day stamp..........he would be no better off by paying 1000 baht and obtaining the re-entry permit. Edit............ Only way he may be better off is by the fact that if he has the re-entry permit and comes back into Thailand to "finish" off his original stay he will be able to extend said stay by 30 days at local immigration whereas with a 30 day on arrival stamp he will only be able to extend by 10 days max. Guess it just depends on what the OP's intentions are with regard to how long he intends to stay in Thailand.....and when he wants to do his next visa run. :o

Edited by thaiflyer1

Thanks so much for the advice. Astral's response was particularly helpful. I'll probably be going to Myanmar, soon, so if anyone needs info regarding the current situation, there, I'll be more than happy to provide the same. Again, let me reiterate how pleased I am with everyone's prompt and helpful replies.

Manos

I am in the same position as the OP. I have a 60-day tourist visa from Irelad. I want to visit Hong Kong for a few days half-way through my visa validity period.

I believe no visa is required for travel between Thailand and Hong Kong. Will I receive a free 30-day visa when leaving Hong Kong? If there is any doubt about this, I won't go because I have job interviews arranged later in the month so I have to get back into the country.

The problem is that you do not have onward flight tickets/reservations during that 30 days so airline may not let you board aircraft. I would get a re entry permit at 1,000 baht to make sure. When you return you put that number in visa area of landing card and it will keep your current stay alive.

You've got (at least) 3 good options:

(1) Get a reentry permit in Thailand.

(2) Get a free 30 days tourist visa on entry to Thailand.

(3) Get a new 60 days tourist visa in the Thai Embassy in Yangon, Myanmar.

I did (2) once and (3) once. No problems. If you plan a long stay in Thailand when you're back, why not go for number 3? You get the visa on the next day after you apply. Just make sure you check the proper hours for applying and receiving. (Can't remeber them now).

Thanks, G, that was very helpful advice, as I wasn't sure whether or not the Embassy in Burma was a good one to deal with.

Manos

You've got (at least) 3 good options:

(1) Get a reentry permit in Thailand.

(2) Get a free 30 days tourist visa on entry to Thailand.

(3) Get a new 60 days tourist visa in the Thai Embassy in Yangon, Myanmar.

I did (2) once and (3) once. No problems. If you plan a long stay in Thailand when you're back, why not go for number 3? You get the visa on the next day after you apply. Just make sure you check the proper hours for applying and receiving. (Can't remeber them now).

I know no one likes me suggesting this, but as it's worked every time I've advised someone to do it, it's worth considering! Just ask them not to activate your initial stamp when you arrive, rather get them to give you a 30 day on entry stamp AND then activate your Visa on return.

So far I've not known anyone to be turned down by Immigration in regards to this!

However you can make a side trip to Burma without invalidating your current entry stamp.

The cost is 1000 baht.

The cost is 1000 baht.

Hi Astral, I would appreciate clarification on the 30 day visa question. I have checked with Thai Consulate in Perth West Australia quite a few times on the question of entering Thailand by land, they have consistently told me that the 30 days Visa free entry is only for entry by air, and that if coming in by land then I should get the 60 day visa. Any comments?

Providing you are from a qualifying country you can enter at any border checkpoint by any mode of transport and obtain the 30 day visa exemption stamp with one exception at the moment and that is the crossing point between Thailand/Cambodia at Khlong Luek where they are not being issued. So yes overland is perfectly acceptable .......Edit......Sorry was writing while Lop was posting.

Edited by thaiflyer1

Providing  you  are  from  a  qualifying  country  you  can  enter  at  any  border  checkpoint  by  any  mode  of  transport  and  obtain  the  30  day  visa  exemption  stamp  with  one  exception  at  the  moment  and  that  is  the  crossing  point  between  Thailand/Cambodia  at  Khlong  Luek  where  they  are  not  being  issued. So  yes  overland  is  perfectly  acceptable .......Edit......Sorry  was  writing  while  Lop  was  posting.

Thanks guys. I was certain this was the case, but I check with the Thai Consul everytime before I come over just to see what their advice is and they always say the same thing. Maybe they need an update on the rules!