Thinking Of Living In Bkk...

mbattaglia89

Hi,

This past May, I visited Bangkok for 10 days and felt my time was not done there. I plan on returning next May for 3 months with a budget of $4 - $5,000 a month, not including hotel. I know this will be more than enough money, so that's not even a factor. What I really want to know, but can't find any stats for, is how dangerous Bangkok is. I know people there, but they obviously won't be with me all the time. I am wondering if walking around by myself at night and taking random taxis at night is safe. When I was there, I had my older brother with me most the time, but even when he was not, I felt less threatened than when walking around parts of my hometown, Dallas.I am street smart and logical, I would never use or buy drugs in a foreign country, and I seldomn drink enough to get outside myself. So if anyone has any information on safe areas of the city to stay in and/or tips, stories, and feelings on the matter, please let me know. And if anyone knows halfway reliable crime stats for the city, that would be great as well.

Thanks,

Matt

I would say Bangkok is very safe compared to any other big city. For a foreig tourists at least. If you stick to "tourist" areas meaning downtown Bangkok (Sukhumvit, Silom etc) there is no problem walking around in night time or using taxis. Your only problem will be pickpockets that will target you around night spots if you are visibly very drunk.

I go out at least once a week and drink way too much and in past 8 years i never had any problem apart from stolen mobile good 6 years back. Also i have never heard of random violent crime against foreigners in Bangkok. Almost always there has been arguments in bars or something else prior the fight so not what i would call random act of violence.

IMO there is bigger risk being hassled by the police than by criminals here :)

I would say Bangkok is very safe compared to any other big city.

Ignorance is bliss. BKK is not very safe compared to any other city. It may appear so. Gun Crime, 10 on 1 beatings, drugging, knife crimes, pickpockets (Kt's).....its getting worse over the last 5 years or so if u ask me.

I've been here a few years and I've not had a problem "touches wood".

It's a matter of common sense really, just don't do the things that you wouldn't do at home. Some people seem to always have a problem here, yet most don't. From your post OP I'd think that you'd fall into the second category.

I would say Bangkok is very safe compared to any other big city.

Ignorance is bliss. BKK is not very safe compared to any other city. It may appear so. Gun Crime, 10 on 1 beatings, drugging, knife crimes, pickpockets (Kt's).....its getting worse over the last 5 years or so if u ask me.

Any data to back this up ?

Yes, few years back there was pretty much no violent crimes against tourists and recently there has been few cases like the copper who shot the bloke in Kantchanaburi or somewhere. Even that one was due to woman if i remember correctly. Can't remember when there was similar case in Bangkok though. Mostly they are young girls raped in the islands in full moon parties etc. However it still is one out of four or five million tourists or something like that. Can't bother to google but 10M+ tourists a year and what 2 or 3 random killings a year ?

And i was talking about random cases that you do not have any control over. Sure if you go and start arguing with the phuket taxi mafia guys you will get 10 to 1 beating and rightly so.

Edited by MJo

My point is that Bangkok is in no way safer than any other city.

Hong Kong, Singapore, KL, Tokyo, Taipei, Shanghai are all safer than BKK.

if you go and start arguing with the phuket taxi mafia guys you will get 10 to 1 beating and rightly so.

Why is that rightly so. Because they are trying to rip u off - you refuse to pay their rip off price and have a argument u deserve a 10 to 1 beating and possibly killed or end up in hospital for a very long time....nonsense.

Typical non-resident Thailand "experts" that visit 3 or 4 times a year.....

BKK and indeed Thailand is not safer than any other city full stop. It is and can be a very dangerous country.

Edited by namoo

if you go and start arguing with the phuket taxi mafia guys you will get 10 to 1 beating and rightly so.

Why is that rightly so. Because they are trying to rip u off - you refuse to pay their rip off price and have a argument u deserve a 10 to 1 beating and possibly killed or end up in hospital for a very long time....nonsense.

BKK and indeed Thailand is not safer than any other city full stop. It is and can be a very dangerous country.

Its a lot safer than a lot of Cities in England. I speak anecdotaly of course I have been staggered around BKK many times in my 5 years of living here and the only problems I have ever had was once when a ladyboy took my wallet (I got it back as I spotted 'it' taking it) and one time when a taxi driver wouldnt take me home and took exception to me throwing a little bit of beer on him (I deserved the half hearted kicking he gave me) You Americans have much more street violence in your Cities. Just be sensible and you will probably be OK

Its a lot safer than a lot of Cities in England. I speak anecdotaly of course I have been staggered around BKK many times in my 5 years of living here and the only problems I have ever had was once when a ladyboy took my wallet (I got it back as I spotted 'it' taking it) and one time when a taxi driver wouldnt take me home and took exception to me throwing a little bit of beer on him (I deserved the half hearted kicking he gave me) You Americans have much more street violence in your Cities. Just be sensible and you will probably be OK

My scariest experience was a few years ago when walking up Silom road and I nearly walked into an elephant. It's surprising how 'invisible' they can become on a poorly lit street. Of course I had had a few drinks earlier!

You seem to feel that Bangkok/Thailand is very dangerous but I have lived here a long time now and have never had any problem with Thai people (except drivers), only problems I have ever encountered are with expats or tourists. I think if you live the sexpat life stlye then yes Thailand can be dangerous but same would be true anywhere else as the people you are dealing with are usually the dregs.

Singapore yes, KL and others in your list about the same as BKK. Your typical "experts" are the ones that try to argue with the taxi boys as they don't know any better. Just walk, provide your own transport or pay up.

Btw my mojo is over 8 years long. How's yours ? :)

Edit: had to google it for you. What comes to murders per capita thailand is safer than 13 other countries. See facts HERE. Then how many of the murders in Thailand are related to local organized crime or local businesses and drug gangs. I mean for a foreign tourist it is highly unlikely you will end up in these stats just by minding your own business. Site has also stats for other crimes and yes, thailand is safer than some other countries...

Edited by MJo

Those nationmaster stats cannot be trusted, methinks, which has been discusses numerous times over the last few years here. Involves the amount of firearm murders somehow being higher than the number of actual murders, which makes no sense. Also, if you were using them for an argument, that's a pretty poor argument, as ranked 14 in the world for murders per capita ain't exactly "safe," regardless of your silly rationalization of "deserving" murder or violence.

My personal opinion, Bangkok most of the time can be quite a safe city, but it has it's share of crime. Stats for Bangkok would be hard to come by so people just end up using their own anecdotal evidence of never being bothered (which isn't very scientific), or perhaps they were the minority that witnessed a group beating at a bar, etc. My experience in dance clubs I'd say I have witnesses some sort of fight on average of just barely less than once per night, so there is violence happening in Bangkok, for sure. I think that a lot of other big cites in the world have bigger problems with pickpockets than Thailand does. I think pickpocketing is rare in Thailand, though had reports here on thaivisa of people who thought they were either pickpocketed or attempted to by gangs of Indians or even Filipinos (one group of Filipino pickpockets were just caught, it's in the news). I think one of the biggest crime problems is if you have a house, burglary happens quite often all over the country, so security precautions need to be taken. If you live in a nice apartment building with good security, the likelihood is probably much less.

It's all relative, but I'd say just like most places in the world, you're playing the odds in Bangkok, and the odds are in your favor.

Edited by Jimjim

I think anywhere along the BTS line is generally safe. I feel safer living in Bangkok than I did in San Francisco. I have only been out past midnight on two occasions since living here and I find typically staying home after 11 is a good idea just about anywhere. I understand for some that is when the night is just getting started but I prefer to stay alive than whatever extra thrill that produces. Really the most important thing here is to never raise your voice and always be respectful. There are few situations a polite wai and kaw thot krap can't get you out of.

why think again #8?

I try my hardest to not put myself in situations where I will be helpless, and I never show anger in a foreign country. I don't drink much, and I'm in no need of being a "sexpat" or looking for prostitutes. I will be out alot at night, however, but I think if I use my best judgement I will more than likely be fine. I was basically wondering if it's as dangerous as places like Mexico or Sao Palo, Brazil. Or places in Africa and South America. Anyways, thanks for all the advice, I think I will be going so if there's anything else, please let me know!

1. Bangkok is surely safer than some cities and less so than others. For example, I'll walk pretty much anywhere in Bangkok...at least during the day time. But there are whole sections of Washington, D.C. (for example NE and parts of SE) where White folk (and Black folk, for that matter) just don't go. Wanna walk around Detroit? East L.A.?

2. First why mess with anyone? Second, "Phuket taxi mafia guys"? Why would anyone go looking for trouble...especially with trouble?

3. Quit the crap putting down short-timers. I was one and always tired of the long-time expats I've personally known who didn't know any more about Thai culture and people than what they found in Pat Pong and Soi Cowboy.

I was one and always tired of the long-time expats I've personally known who didn't know any more about Thai culture and people than what they found in Pat Pong and Soi Cowboy.

Depends where you meet those long-time expats. If you met them in Pat Pong and Soi Cowboy yes I agree.

My family having lived and worked in Thailand for 18 years - have a pretty good understanding of the country and neighboring countries.

When we talk about safety in Thailand. We are not just talking about the act of violence from one person to another. You have to look at the bigger picture not just the crime.

If you get involved in a accident of some sort. How long will it take the paramedics if any to get to u...who knows depends if someone calls a decent hospital for u otherwise back of a pickup for u mate. Even with that spinal injury - oops.

The drunk/drugged driving issue in Thailand - Really is a dangerous issue - Songkran anyone.

The police - Are they able to assist you - yes maybe - "Its all about the money", "Who do you know that is has more influence/rank than me"

The list goes on.

ThaiVisa - A lot of the users here give this glorified picture of Thailand - its wonderful, its safe etc. Heaven forbid that someone who knows the country says on Thaivisa "Hey its not that safe a place to live"

Of course you get the "I have been here blah blah years and nothing bad has happened to me ever" therefore logically it must be a very safe place to live....smell the coffee.

Don't get me wrong I love Thailand as much as the next person but I took off my rose-tinted glasses a long time ago.

And remember Thailand and its culture are very xenophobic but thats another topic however it does relate back to "It's all about the money"

In conclusion - Its not that safe a place to live reference: Crime, Emergency Infrastructure, Corruption, Political Instability, Fire Regulations / Inspections at Nightclubs, Insurgents.... etc.

Edited by namoo

A 3-month visit to tour Bangkok city and a few trips outside.

Stay in a service apartment along the BTS line and use it. Day time roaming to tourist places and shopping venues is safe for a single pretty lady. Night activities will be something else. Much will depend on where you venture to - local or expat joints. Most popular pubs and restaurants along the BTS line in Sukhumvit area would be safe and then get back to your apartment before midnight using the BTS.

To avoid being preyed by pickpockets, do not wear any jewelry or an expensive watch. Do not put all cash in a purse where it would be flashed about when making payment. Best to carry small amount of cash in various jeans pockets.

To avoid being preyed by sex maniacs, dress sensibly - no revealing clothes, don't go around braless, etc

On trips to Pattaya or some of the islands, don't be a roaming cowgirl venturing into the red indians' grounds. You will get scalped bottom up.

Bangkok is very safe. I have wondered around all over Bangkok alone at 3am drunk literally hundreds of times, I certainly wouldn't feel comfortable doing that in the US. Be careful around drunken argumentative farang, they're the biggest danger you'll likely encounter.

I would say statisitics can be very misleading. In many U.S. cities, a huge percentage of the crimes can be in a relatively small area of the city, or among certain segments of the population. I think the same can be said for Bangkok, but it's not nearly as dangerous as some other cities I've been to.

Anyway, I would just say if you use some common sense and judgement here, that you are not very likely to have serious problems.

Edited by beechguy

Bangkok is not dangerous place, its a great place.

You just need to have common sense at night, dont go walking down dark alleys with bling on, dont start argueing to a taxi at a taxi stand for 10 baht.

Anywhere is safe if you use common sense

Each to his own, for me I take USA over LOS any day. :D It works wonder with me since I enjoy fresh air, cleaned roads, better standard of living, feel so free not have to worry about being overcharged. Don't be surprised, a Thai like me ( born& bred in BKK) encounters this same problem like some of you expats.

From my observing, they would treat me as fair as any Thai until they learn that I'm living in the US, I'm here as a visitor, then they always increase their price or service around 20% and up.

I don't have trouble dealing with Thai venders, they usual just paddle their wares passing through, the worst ones are the food shops or cafe or beauty shop close -by where I live. :D

It always irritates greatly me cos you don't know what you're expected to pay. :D:)

From my observing, they would treat me as fair as any Thai until they learn that I'm living in the US, I'm here as a visitor, then they always increase their price or service around 20% and up.

I don't have trouble dealing with Thai venders, they usual just paddle their wares passing through, the worst ones are the food shops or cafe or beauty shop close -by where I live. :D

It always irritates greatly me cos you don't know what you're expected to pay. :D:)

Welcome to my world.