Temps In Northeast Face Sexual Harassment

george

Temps in Northeast face sexual harassment

Many temporary employees at government offices in the Northeast had fatherless children after being lured by irresponsible civil servants or using sexual favour for career advancement, the Amnat Charoen's Friends of Women Group revealed

President of the group, Bupphawan Angkhurasi, said many parents in northeastern provinces had filed complaints that their children, who worked as temps at state offices, suffered sexual harassment and often became pregnant after which the male wrongdoers refused to take responsibility, leaving the babies without a father.

Newly graduated young women mostly found themselves working at Tambon Administrative Organisations, municipalities or high schools, she said. These women were young, beautiful and often had to do administrative tasks near supervisors and thus were prone to be approached and lured by male officials, leading to sexual relations, she said. Many of these victims believed the men would divorce their wives to marry them while some used sexual favour for career advancement or better economic status. Once they became pregnant, about which they could not speak up for fear of losing their job, many sought abortion as a way out while some gave birth to the babies and later left them with their parents to raise, she added.

"Since most cases were from mutual consent, the victims did not reveal their predicament or maybe they were pressured in all forms by supervisors and employers to hush up the case," Bupphawan said.

"These wrongdoers manage to get way with their actions without receiving serious punishment and some complaints were also ignored, possibly due to the fact that their supervisors also have the same behaviour with mistresses. So the damaged persons rarely tell anyone of their woes but put up with their experience to ensure career security. Consequently we hear that the damaged persons gave consent to the sexual harassment," Bupphawan added.

But working women were not the only victims, she said. Students and teenagers also suffered from being lured by friends or boyfriends into having sex or were raped, and most of the cases were hidden until the pregnancy became impossible to hide.

Bupphawan said that most male wrongdoers against whom complaints were received were teachers, general officials and local administrative organisation executives.

"In some cases, our group was notified by parents about senior officials raping their daughters but the seniors later reached a settlement with the parents. A Bt4,000 compensation was paid to hush up the scandal. The parents should have asked their daughters how they felt and if they wanted to settle the issue because what had happened could scar the young for life," she added.

Bupphawan said that nearly all such young girls rushed into marriages even before they were healed of the pain of sexual harassment. Many wanted to avoid shame by getting married to new boyfriends, which in many cases ended in two years.

"Each year we have 50 cases of parents complaining of their children being sexually harassed, some 30 cases of them also becoming pregnant and the age of the victims got as low as only 12. Besides, there are about 50 complaints filed by the victims themselves via hotline. At least 100 women and girls suffer sexual harassment and abuse per year," she added.

The group's networks appealed to provincial governors of each northeastern province to monitor and instruct state offices with temps to prevent sexual harassment, she said.

The network would also provide legal assistance to the victims and help raise their babies, she added. She urged policy-makers to push for a law with clear punishment for sexual harassment. She also asked children and women's right advocates to work intensively and provide funds for working teams to take their work forward. She said they also tried to set up stages and training session to educate women or community people about the situation and gender equity.

Amnat Charoen Governor Boonsanong Boonmee said that if the group sought his assistance, he would have a meeting of civil service offices' executives to watch out for such behaviour and ensure disciplinary punishment. He also said he would instruct the provincial health office to educate the public about preventing unwanted pregnancies.

Thim (not her real name), a temporary employee at a local administrative organisation, who got pregnant with her supervisor's baby, said that being a female employee was tough because if you wanted career advancement, you had to go out with the boss even at night time, making it easier for the boss to engage in sexual relations. She confessed that she had let herself get pregnant in the hope of getting married. However, when he had to choose between his wife and his subordinate, the boss stayed with the wife. The hapless employee had to leave her fatherless baby with her parents. She said she continued to work at the same office and still secretly continued their affair.

A hired teacher, Jum (not her real name), said she was pregnant with her supervisor's child but was transferred to another school not far from the previous one after the supervisor learned about her pregnancy. The transfer was an assistance from seniors who knew about the affair and wished to help the supervisor out of a disciplinary punishment, she said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-06-01

Sexual harrassment is a terrible thing but this article paints a picture of women consentually having sex with men and then calling it wrong, it almost feels like the author thinks all sex is a crime perpetrated by men against women, until they are married? Or even after? I guess I misread the article because it seemed like most of the cases were just 2 people having sex. Rape is an evil crime, but he barely mentions that.

Many of these victims believed the men would divorce their wives to marry them while some used sexual favour for career advancement or better economic status.

Victims ? How can you call "victim" someone who's ready to destroy a family for personal gain ? After talking numerous times with my wife and her friends about these ladies, I know they don't call them "victims", "sluts" is one of the words they most frequently use!

Try putting birth control information and condum machines

in ALL Tambon and government office ladies rooms.

Won't stop the abusive slim, but will slow down the production of illegitimate children.

Not to mention disease transmission.

Many of these victims believed the men would divorce their wives to marry them while some used sexual favour for career advancement or better economic status.

Victims ? How can you call "victim" someone who's ready to destroy a family for personal gain ? After talking numerous times with my wife and her friends about these ladies, I know they don't call them "victims", "sluts" is one of the words they most frequently use!

I would hate to use the term "slut," but I have to agree with your basic premise here.  Either breaking up a family or using sex to get ahead hardly would classify such women as "victims," in my opinion.

However, I do think true sexual harrassment is rampant, and that is a different story.

I've seen this at some places I work at. Some of these young 'ladies' are pretty anxious to jump in the sack with those higher up the food chain and in a couple of instances, when they ended up pregnant. The word 'victim' doesn't spring to mind, because some were pretty scheming and I am pretty sure they knew what was in store for them at the local 'love motel'.

They are calles slappers in England,but why dont they have some form of contraception if they want to act this way.

I feel harassed in my own office. The way the females dress and prance around is tough to take.

Oh I forgot, dressing like a tart is not harrassment - its trendy. But if I look at them....

Men and Women have about the same attributes that influence the opposite sex. Physically attractive, financial status, intelligence, and personality. Guess many people who are lacking in more than 2 of the mentioned may use what they have tucked between their legs to move up the ladder in a way they see fit.

Temps in Northeast face sexual harassment

But working women were not the only victims, she said. Students and teenagers also suffered from being lured by friends or boyfriends into having sex or were raped, and most of the cases were hidden until the pregnancy became impossible to hide.

Bupphawan said that most male wrongdoers against whom complaints were received were teachers, general officials and local administrative organisation executives.

"In some cases, our group was notified by parents about senior officials raping their daughters but the seniors later reached a settlement with the parents. A Bt4,000 compensation was paid to hush up the scandal. The parents should have asked their daughters how they felt and if they wanted to settle the issue because what had happened could scar the young for life," she added.

4000 baht seems cheaper than the going rate in the massage parlour - the PuYai must see this as a bargain....

"Each year we have 50 cases of parents complaining of their children being sexually harassed, some 30 cases of them also becoming pregnant and the age of the victims got as low as only 12.

And because parents keep accepting 4000 baht it will continue to be OK in Thailand. Parents seem so willing to sell their daughters for a few consumer comforts

Amnat Charoen Governor Boonsanong Boonmee said that if the group sought his assistance, he would have a meeting of civil service offices' executives to watch out for such behaviour :):D:D:D and ensure disciplinary punishment. He also said he would instruct the provincial health office to educate the public about preventing unwanted pregnancies. - Well that's Ok then, no need to worry any more....

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-06-01

Edited by bangon04

I feel harassed in my own office. The way the females dress and prance around is tough to take.

I feel it is only fair for you to prove this by posting pictures of said strumpets prancing around! :)

Seems as thought the sexual mores of the Northeast are getting more and more attention. Is this a hate campaign or something? I wouldn't for one second believe that this is isolated to the North East.

I did notice that they received 50 complaints to the hotline, which achieved exactly what? A much better system to make men responsible for where they stick their pecker would be a better way to solve the problem than expecting some results from a snickering pooyai telling people not to do this kind of thing.

Unfortunately, this is happening all over the world.

At the European Community HQ, in Brussels, they nicknamed it "sofa promotion"!

No, unfortunately this is only happening all over the parts of the world that still do not implement and enforce sexual harrassment laws.

Unfortunately, this is happening all over the world.

At the European Community HQ, in Brussels, they nicknamed it "sofa promotion"!

No, unfortunately this is only happening all over the parts of the world that still do not implement and enforce sexual harrassment laws.

You've confused me, what does mutual consent & sexual harrassment have to do with each other ??

There are so many wrong things in this that just get put down as " Thai Culture " so many people shy away from it..

From the Girls thinking that they Guys are gonna leave their Present Wives for them & " getting Pregnant in the hope of getting married " = Marraige/Family Wreckers & honestly, what are they thinking about & are they completely stupid or just incredibly naive ??

To the Family's accepting 4,000 THB to hush up Scandals = I'm just lost for words that 4,000 THB can be enough for a Family to keep hush over the Rape of their Daughter, it's despicable..

There's lots more " wrongs " in the article that i'm sure you can find yourselves but bottom line is whilst " Consequently we hear that the damaged persons gave consent to the sexual harassment," Bupphawan added. " is happening & whilst Family's continue to accept hush money, it will continue on & on & on & on & on & on in Amazing Thailand..

From

Ya I think the major problem with the article is he is mixing what seems legitimate grievances (rape, if that is exactly what he actually meant) with the ridiculous claim that a woman who deliberately tries to use sex for advancement or tries to steal another womans husband or just plain wants to sleep with her boyfriend is a victim. Is Thai culture so old fashioned that any sex between unmarried people is seen as a crime by the male? Or is it just this particular authors crazy opinion?

In one company I worked in it seemed every manager's secretary was sleeping with her boss (except me, of course).

Maybe your boss doesn't find you attractive...

Don't despair.

LOL ROFL

Hmmm...I think in my next life, I want to come back as a pretty woman. I want to be sexually harrazed, too. Using my body to get to the top, would beat hard work, too. Us men have it so tough....we have to work for a living :D:)

In one company I worked in it seemed every manager's secretary was sleeping with her boss (except me, of course).

Maybe your boss doesn't find you attractive...

Don't despair.

Maybe I should take up a temporary position instead.......missionary, perhaps. :)

One thing that the article, in its many flaws, fails to mention is when superiors use their position of authority to pressure subordinates into having sex. This is, indeed, real sexual harassment not women who choose to sleep with their superiors in order to advance their careers.