Trolling

EndofDays

Kinda' sorta' newish to this forum but have to ask: I have seen the world "troll" or "trolling" used in may a threads, as in accusing someone of being a "troll" or that they are "trolling". I think it might mean someone that is trying to cause a ruckus just for the heck of it, am I right?

Edited by EndofDays

OK - that can work - it is also trying to gain some unfair advantage normally for gain or simply trashing the status quo on that particular forum. Like trolling or hunting for fish or bait - also a bottom feeder or info gathering that can be put to nefarious use later. Trolls can also spin ones wheels for an awful long time, if stupid - the equal of a cyber tire-kicker.

Thats the worst kind.

BR>Jack

PS By the time this post is done, you will be an expert!!

OK - that can work - it is also trying to gain some unfair advantage normally for gain or simply trashing the status quo on that particular forum. Like trolling or hunting for fish or bait - also a bottom feeder or info gathering that can be put to nefarious use later. Trolls can also spin ones wheels for an awful long time, if stupid - the equal of a cyber tire-kicker.

Thats the worst kind.

BR>Jack

Ok, I was thinking of more of the "troll under the bridge" thing. I can understand the analogy you mentioned. There was a "newbie" who asking about joing the thai army, yesterday I think, and giving up his U.S. citizenship. I pretty much figured he falls under the "troll" category and making everything up.

In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum or chat room, with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response[1] or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.
Edited by Fishenough

...Trolls can also spin ones wheels for an awful long time, if stupid - the equal of a cyber tire-kicker.

Thats the worst kind...

...and quite often the situation is aggravated by the fact that a number of members are happily feeding the troll, ie replying to his post.

ThaiVisa’s aversion to trolling is embedded in forum rule #5 that requires members to agree not to post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants.

--

Maestro

it would seem the op is trolling about trolling :):D

No he isn't...... and please quotes some stats to back that up :D

Sorry, I seemed to have missed those statistics, perhaps you could tell me where to find the secret attachment. :D

Some of us "Trolls" DO live under bridges and disturb those who want to cross...

The_Troll_2.jpg

The payment is inane comments that barely stay within the boundries of the forum we are trolling on.

Of course trolling could also include "fishing" where we troll a lure behind the boat in hopes that something might bite it...

Alberni_Jujy_2006_039.jpg

And fishing might also mean trying to attract a response from the use of a provacative comment, and hence the term "trolling". Most of us have heard of the comment "Fishing for compliments". It's the same thing.

I did warn you, right up front!!

BR>Jack

PS I personally detest, with a vengeance, any/all mail that is outright derog or defamatory, and that adds no value.

A lot of very civil political argument goes south because of juvenile, immature emotional outbursts.