Anyone Tried Kad Cafe Buffet Lunch At Shangri La?

Maccheroncini

If you need to go to the Shangri La at lunchtime for some reason and would like to try the "buffet", go ahead.

You won't feel like you wasted your money, but you also won't feel like you have been to a real buffet or eaten anything special either.

There are only a few items available and the quality is OK, but nothing to go out of your way for.

I had a salad, soup, a few rolls and a mini pizza for 234 baht. Oh, I forgot about the deserts that are guarded by a guard from Brinks. They are literally locked in a bulletproof glass case.

You get about a thimblefull which you have to ask for and I think that they are really good, but I got the feeling that they were not happy when I asked for a 2nd thimbleful, so I am not sure about the others that I did not try.

The lunchtime buffet at the Shangi La is nothing to go out of your way for!

It is constantly being plugged by the committee at Chiamgmai Expats who appear to be regulars, so they say.

If you need to go to the Shangri La at lunchtime for some reason and would like to try the "buffet", go ahead.

You won't feel like you wasted your money, but you also won't feel like you have been to a real buffet or eaten anything special either.

There are only a few items available and the quality is OK, but nothing to go out of your way for.

I had a salad, soup, a few rolls and a mini pizza for 234 baht. Oh, I forgot about the deserts that are guarded by a guard from Brinks. They are literally locked in a bulletproof glass case.

You get about a thimblefull which you have to ask for and I think that they are really good, but I got the feeling that they were not happy when I asked for a 2nd thimbleful, so I am not sure about the others that I did not try.

It is constantly being plugged by the committee at Chiamgmai Expats who appear to be regulars, so they say.

what is the "committee" is that a local "muscle" group ? what is chiamgmai expats ,i think i may be one yet i do not report to nor follow what the "committee" says.. do i owe back dues? are my legs safe? is the "committee" all italians so they go for the mini pizzas there??

what is the "committee" is that a local "muscle" group ? what is chiamgmai expats ,i think i may be one yet i do not report to nor follow what the "committee" says.. do i owe back dues? are my legs safe? is the "committee" all italians so they go for the mini pizzas there??

Totally uncalled for stereotyping of people with Italian heritage.

I thought the mini-pizza was OK once I scraped the big glob of chewy cheese and the ham slices that they said were pepperoni off of it. :)

I've been there several times and have never had the pizza. I always go for the pasta - which has had mixed reviews. I like it when they offer salmon (not always available). Regarding the guards at the desert station, why feel intimidated? I always walk away with at least 4-5 of them. They're worth it. Ask and ye shall receive.

Edited by venturalaw

I have eaten there twice.

The first time was when Julian the Swiss manager was in charge of the place and the food was ok. The setting was nice and the service good.

The last time I ate there will be my last time as the quality of the food and the selection has gone rapidly downhill. The desert menu is good, I have to admit that but you can get almost everything else out on the street for 25 Bt.

The trick with the pizza is - go to the salad bar and get the ham, olives , peppers .... from there and present them on a plate to the pizza maker. They only offer cheese and cheese and hotdog varieties so with a little bit of work you can get yourself a great pixzza.

The price has gone up by the way and they charge a few taxes on top of what they advertise.

As I said, I wont be going back.

• 1 month later...

I had a salad, soup, a few rolls and a mini pizza for 234 baht. Oh, I forgot about the desserts that are guarded by a guard from Brinks. They are literally locked in a bulletproof glass case.

I went recently and was disappointed but everyone has different tastes.

Your comments mirror mine. Not a great choice o food. Portions were small. I suppose I could have taken Venturalaw's advice and pretended to be Oliver Twist and ask for more but customers should not be put in that position. Quality was ok but nothing special, the Bolognese was good and cooked fresh. The pizza was not. Breadsticks were not as crisp as they should be.

As another poster, Finnish, said in this thread: "The trick with the pizza is - go to the salad bar and get the ham, olives , peppers .... from there and present them on a plate to the pizza maker. They only offer cheese and cheese and hotdog varieties so with a little bit of work you can get yourself a great pixzza.

The price has gone up by the way and they charge a few taxes on top of what they advertise.

As I said, I wont be going back"

The Shangri La has a lovely location and setting but other customers there did not seem to be enjoying the experience. I didn't see any drinks being served.

I have tried the Mararinakorn three times and it beats a lunch buffet at shangri la. More variety and reasonable portions and a good atmosphere. From memory, slightly less than the 234 at Shangri

Just my view of two buffets in the same price bracket.

Edited by caf

I've sampled Shangri-La lunch buffet twice.

Adequate, yes, and decent value for the money, but nothing exceptional.

I see no reason to go out of the way just to eat there.

Empress Hotel mentioned above, so I'll comment on that, too, because I ate there tonight for the dinner buffet.

For the price, also a decent value, but, also, nothing worth going out of the way.

Empress offers the usual chafing dishes with the usual selections: such as pork medallions, fish in a sauce, chicken drumsticks, buttered vegetables, etc.

Blender soup with a cream base -- if I hadn't read the display card, I'd have no idea from the taste what went into the soup.

I didn't leave hungry, but the Empress' buffet is totally un-inspired.

Overall, I've been seeing many/most buffets steadily cutting corners on both quality and variety.

So on the ride home tonight, I resolved to change my eating: avoid buffets, and instead order ala-carte from the menu, even though it will cost more.

A vivid example of that recently during a trip to Bangkok.

A friend joined me for dinner at the Mercure Hotel (Fortunetown).

He took the buffet, and, among other things, ordered lamb chops from the buffet grill.

I ordered lamb chops dinner from the ala-carte menu.

We've both eaten plenty of Australian lamb (and hoggit), so we know how it ought to taste.

We exchanged one chop with each other.

My ala-carte chops were tender and sweet.

I've eaten lamb at stations in the outback -- this was almost up to that standard.

His buffet chops were tough and bland -- not even worth the effort of chewing.

Same restaurant, same time, but, very different quality of meat.

Lesson learned: avoid buffets.

Instead, from now on, I'll be ordering from the menu.

-- Oneman

Edited by Oneman

I'll just add that my experience exactly mirrored this.

I ate at the Holiday Inn once a la carte and as I was the only customer in the dining room a Thai manager came along to talk to me. Gave a big pitch about the evening buffet and all the different foods it would have, but when I asked the price and he told me it was over 700 Baht per person I had to tell him I wouldn't be coming.

I'm not a fan of buffets anyway, being a subscriber to the belief that buffet is French for "leftovers"

Has anyone tried the Meridien buffet yet. I have been in there on a couple of occasions, ordering off the a'la carte menu. I must admit the buffet spread looked very enticing. Don't know the cost and hardly anyone in there eating, why? Would not mind some feed back, excuse the pun, on quality, cost and variety.

Thank You Everyone!

I think your on the take!!! Our group (25)meets every month and has tried many lunch buffets around town. The Empress Hotel is by far the best lunch buffet in CM. The food is superior in quality in both quantity and options.

Falang 4-5 main dishes, Thai 4-5 main dishes, Dim Sum and Sushi. The salad bar is killer in scope and quality. Cole slaw and potato salad +++! Ice cream with toppings, bottomless coffee served at your table, Creme Carmel to die for all you can eat! Give me a break!! Do you own stock in Shangri La?

Nice try !!

No I don't, and I've never tried The Empress Hotel". Do you own stock there? I'll certainly give it a try, even if you do.

BTW, the Amari Rincon lunch buffet is also great for the price. And no, I do not own stock in that entity either.

I'll second the Amari buffet. surprised that not many peolple talk about it on the TV forum. If you have an Amari Privilege card then all meals are 2 for 1 and you get the residents rate. eg. The luchtime buffet is only 375 baht for 2 people as opposed to the sticker price of 450 baht per person.

And before someone says, I'm not trying to promote the Privilege card merely bringing it to peoples attention, DYOR...

Cheers :)

Edited by Thaihog

I had been recommended to Kad Cafe by the Expats Club but I wish I'd checked out some of the buffets commented on by posters here.

Always best to follow opinions of those who have actually eaten in a place

Thank You Everyone!

I think your on the take!!! Our group (25)meets every month and has tried many lunch buffets around town. The Empress Hotel is by far the best lunch buffet in CM. The food is superior in quality in both quantity and options.

Falang 4-5 main dishes, Thai 4-5 main dishes, Dim Sum and Sushi. The salad bar is killer in scope and quality. Cole slaw and potato salad +++! Ice cream with toppings, bottomless coffee served at your table, Creme Carmel to die for all you can eat! Give me a break!! Do you own stock in Shangri La?

Nice try !!

No I don't, and I've never tried The Empress Hotel". Do you own stock there? I'll certainly give it a try, even if you do.

BTW, the Amari Rincon lunch buffet is also great for the price. And no, I do not own stock in that entity either.

I'll second the Amari buffet. surprised that not many peolple talk about it on the TV forum. If you have an Amari Privilege card then all meals are 2 for 1 and you get the residents rate. eg. The luchtime buffet is only 375 baht for 2 people as opposed to the sticker price of 450 baht per person.

And before someone says, I'm not trying to promote the Privilege card merely bringing it to peoples attention, DYOR...

Cheers :D

Sounds great at the Amari, nice hotel, if 375 Bt for two is right. How much is the cost of Privilege card ? The 450Bt per kept me from checking them out.

Did the Empress lunch again today, they have a " Gold card" program too.

175 Bt. for buffet or in French, leftovers :) . Best leftovers I ever had. Cream Pumpkin soup and pasta chef table was new to me also found Crepe Suzette today at the ice cream table, yum,yum. As I remember the Gold card is good for 1 year and costs 150BT. Bon Apatite !!

I love the lunch buffet at the Mecure (formerly the Novotel). Pretty much the same facilities, but they've put together an excellent buffet with a wide choice of Thai, Chinese, Japanese, western food and a good selection of salads and soup. The dessert selection is fantastic. The trick is to make a reservation a week in advance to save 30%. They can handle reservations via email. I think with the discount the price is about 230 baht.

I love the lunch buffet at the Mecure (formerly the Novotel). Pretty much the same facilities, but they've put together an excellent buffet with a wide choice of Thai, Chinese, Japanese, western food and a good selection of salads and soup. The dessert selection is fantastic. The trick is to make a reservation a week in advance to save 30%. They can handle reservations via email. I think with the discount the price is about 230 baht.

Good one NancyL, Our monthly pig out was at the Mercure last week.

Top notch hotel and the buffet fixings where great. Access to that special dessert table was worth the wait :-). Good food, good price and good service. The Mercure is having a special day for our Swiss friends on July 28 and 29. The Swiss Alphorn Ensamble from ST Moritz will play those big horns you see on TV. I am not Swiss but this will save me a trip. Special price for reservation apply on this one too. If interested call the hotel .

Chok dee.

Good one NancyL, Our monthly pig out was at the Mercure last week.

Top notch hotel and the buffet fixings where great. Access to that special dessert table was worth the wait :-). Good food, good price and good service. The Mercure is having a special day for our Swiss friends on July 28 and 29. The Swiss Alphorn Ensamble from ST Moritz will play those big horns you see on TV. I am not Swiss but this will save me a trip. Special price for reservation apply on this one too. If interested call the hotel .

Chok dee.

That's a good tip. I'll try that. The shangrila has lost the plot I feel in offering buffets.