Littering Near Jw Marriott

sagaris

Watched foreigners being collared for littering ie throwing cigarette butts away. On soi4 recently

They "caught" 6 tourists in about 10 minutes. Trotting them off to the booth. For the sting.

How much do they "Fine" them?

Watched foreigners being collared for littering ie throwing cigarette butts away. On soi4 recently

They "caught" 6 tourists in about 10 minutes. Trotting them off to the booth. For the sting.

1000 - 2000 is the norm - pretty lucrative. Around Emporium same thing.

Not quite clear why you call it a sting. When I've watched it, in each case the tourist did actually litter.

Not quite clear why you call it a sting. When I've watched it, in each case the tourist did actually litter.

Is the law applied to all or just some?

i have been caught by them before, they explain the fine will be 2000 - 10000 THB, but as first time they will let you go for a 1,000 THB ( note this is pocketed by them )

so really they have a very good job

Same here, got stung once in front of Central World. Called World Trade Center on those days. BiB actually followed me 100 meters just waiting me to dispose my ciggie. They had a desk and few chairs in the overhead bridge and show me a sign quoting 2000 baht fine. My GF point them out that i actually was looking for ashtray / bin but none to be seen and that while i was committing the crime i was up to my knees in litter. Water bottles, plastic bags and in a middle of a roadside restaurant kitchen. Fish heads everywhere... They came down to 400 baht and even gave me a receipt.

One of my mates has been caught twice, he always argues with them few minutes. Negotiates a good tea money rate but in last minute changes his mind and asks them for a proper ticket. It takes them few minutes to write that ticket up and once they are almost done he just tells them "hel_l it's hot here, what if i just pay you the 500 and you forget the ticket". They immediately agree and it takes them about 15 mins to realize he was doing it on purpose :)

Its 2000bahts, and those 3 policemen are famous for this trick... I pass there almost daily and sometimes have to act as a translator for the tourists who are being mugged... even worse if you have an open beer in your hand, or if God forbid, you have your shirt off...its 10,000baht fine or 3 days in prison.. But people should know the laws when they visit another country and ignorance is not an excuse....

Its 2000bahts, and those 3 policemen are famous for this trick... I pass there almost daily and sometimes have to act as a translator for the tourists who are being mugged... even worse if you have an open beer in your hand, or if God forbid, you have your shirt off...its 10,000baht fine or 3 days in prison.. But people should know the laws when they visit another country and ignorance is not an excuse....

Your definition of a "mugging" must be different than mine. Why are they walking along the street with no shirt on? Why are they walking along the street drinking?

But yes...ignorance of the local laws is no excuse...although I'm not sure that in any civilized country people are encouraged to behave this way.

A friend of mine got caught in this sting operation at that 7/11 on the corner of Nana Tai, the 7/11 without the ashtray outside i might add!!

He put his cigarette butt down the drain and a police man came from absolutely nowhere, ''follow me'' said the police man and he led us to a police booth (not the one on the junction but the other way toward Wireless Rd).

2000 Baht was the price however a rather fat officer sat around eating at the booth insisted he paid 10,000 as he has polluted Bangkoks water system, however the guy in the booth said if he didn't require a reciept, 2000 would do.

I know my mate broke the law but it is really annoying knowing that 2000 Baht was going straight into those bent coppers back pockets.

The solution, if you do smoke i would carry an empty M150 bottle around in your pocket and extinguish your cigarette into that. This is a practice my friend has started doing especially in view of those vultures around Soi 4. They don't like it but are powerless to do anything about it.

A friend of mine got caught in this sting operation at that 7/11 on the corner of Nana Tai, the 7/11 without the ashtray outside i might add!!

He put his cigarette butt down the drain and a police man came from absolutely nowhere, ''follow me'' said the police man and he led us to a police booth (not the one on the junction but the other way toward Wireless Rd).

2000 Baht was the price however a rather fat officer sat around eating at the booth insisted he paid 10,000 as he has polluted Bangkoks water system, however the guy in the booth said if he didn't require a reciept, 2000 would do.

I know my mate broke the law but it is really annoying knowing that 2000 Baht was going straight into those bent coppers back pockets.

The solution, if you do smoke i would carry an empty M150 bottle around in your pocket and extinguish your cigarette into that. This is a practice my friend has started doing especially in view of those vultures around Soi 4. They don't like it but are powerless to do anything about it.

Ever noticed how its only the guys in green. They recieve no salary - commission only I guess.

Ever noticed how its only the guys in green. They recieve no salary - commission only I guess.

Haha, who needs a salary when you are on 20,000+ baht a day in tips!!

Seriously as an ex-smoker i have sympathy for people caught out like this, the serious lack of ash trays/rubbish bins makes it neigh on impossible to dispose of your butts responsibly. I remember the times when there was an ashtray at that 7/11, i have used it myself, petrol station or not!!!!

Bring on the anti smoking brigade!

I got busted a few months back too, I paid 1600 as thats all I had on me. I guess I cant complain as I did throw the cig butt on the ground and I knew I shouldnt have.

Doesnt matter, back home it would of cost me alot more.

There's an undeveloped area the other side of the soi behind my office, a large plot that was covered with vegetation. I couls see how every house, school and office was littering the plot with their garbage. I even saw school kids that dumping garbage from their school (had to clean up as a punishment perhaps?).

A couple months ago, for no apparent reason a buldozer showed up and razed all the vegetation and turned up all the "soil" on an area of about 4 or 5 hectares. The place looked like a dumpster with all the unearthed trash, I'm not exagerating, tons and tons of filth covering the whole area, it was sobering. And they keep dumping garbage there...

1000 baht for littering with a cigarette butt you say?, how much a fine for 50 tons worth of littering? *crickets chirping*

There's an undeveloped area the other side of the soi behind my office, a large plot that was covered with vegetation. I couls see how every house, school and office was littering the plot with their garbage. I even saw school kids that dumping garbage from their school (had to clean up as a punishment perhaps?).

A couple months ago, for no apparent reason a buldozer showed up and razed all the vegetation and turned up all the "soil" on an area of about 4 or 5 hectares. The place looked like a dumpster with all the unearthed trash, I'm not exagerating, tons and tons of filth covering the whole area, it was sobering. And they keep dumping garbage there...

1000 baht for littering with a cigarette butt you say?, how much a fine for 50 tons worth of littering? *crickets chirping*

OP>

Ignorance is no defence. If you break the law expect to pay the fine. Smoking on the street is horrible and disgusting nothing worse than walking through someones exhaled smoke! yakl.

Anyone fined for littering som nam nar...you broke the law and now pay for it and stop your mincing and whining on here.

I have seen that too anyl and which is not built upon becomes a communial dumping ground. one field opposite a condo I used to live at was the same I would watch the secuirty guys from my condo clean up and then throw the rubbish on this land and it just builds up.. But in Thai style out of site out of mind.

Its too funny that law breakers are now complaining about being fined but admitting they broke the law, <deleted>? c

What is it that you actually want to happen? eveyone else fined but your crime ignored?

Don't knock em, without people like these the streets wouldn't be in such a pristine condition.

Has anybody ever seen Thai people stopped and fined?

I have seen countless, I live in a area in bangkok where there isnt many farangs though

Ignorance is no defence. If you break the law expect to pay the fine. Smoking on the street is horrible and disgusting nothing worse than walking through someones exhaled smoke! yakl.

Anyone fined for littering som nam nar...you broke the law and now pay for it and stop your mincing and whining on here.

I have seen that too anyl and which is not built upon becomes a communial dumping ground. one field opposite a condo I used to live at was the same I would watch the secuirty guys from my condo clean up and then throw the rubbish on this land and it just builds up.. But in Thai style out of site out of mind.

Its too funny that law breakers are now complaining about being fined but admitting they broke the law, <deleted>? c

What is it that you actually want to happen? eveyone else fined but your crime ignored?

I am a non-smoker and don't like when people smoke in bars and restaurants so I am happy when they decide to smoke outside, it seems that you don't even want them to do that now, come on give them a break.

This thread is full of comments on the way people receive on the spot fines, I don't see that people are really complaining just commenting, isn't that what this type of forum is for? I think you are being a tad harsh.

I am a non-smoker and don't like when people smoke in bars and restaurants so I am happy when they decide to smoke outside, it seems that you don't even want them to do that now, come on give them a break.

This thread is full of comments on the way people receive on the spot fines, I don't see that people are really complaining just commenting, isn't that what this type of forum is for? I think you are being a tad harsh.

I love your nick name you old git.

People will complain in any forum where the minority is the majority of the posters. I bet you the UK Forum for Thai's will be the same as this. The Aussie forum with brit posters etc etc.

Its in our blood to complain about stuff all the time.

Plus the older the generation the more complaints. My grandfather is 94 years old and he curses everyone he see's, its just human nature

Perhaps I should had been explicit about this, but I think that anyone littering should be fined, be it a cigarette butt or a wheelbarrow worth of garbage. After all you only find justice in the law if it is equally applied to everyone.

For what is worth, on my first week in Bangkok I decided to take a long walk around the city, since it was hot I went into a 7 eleven not far from RCA road and bought a Coke can, I walked for an hour and a half with the empty can in my hand waiting to find a garbage bin to properly dispose it (I found one inside the Emporium mall).

I am a smoker and have also been fined in BKK for nubbing a butt on the floor next to a bin. That was over 7 years ago.

Guess what, i have never dropped another fag or rubbish on the streets in Thailand.

AlexG. Same thing has happened to me many times and you end up with rubbish in your pocket. This stems from when they removed alot of the bins because of bombs and terrorists threats. You just have to spot the rubbish bags that the Thais pile up in places which are collected by the city binmen.

Don't knock em, without people like these the streets wouldn't be in such a pristine condition.

Has anybody ever seen Thai people stopped and fined?

I have seen countless, I live in a area in bangkok where there isnt many farangs though

Yes, I too have seen the Thai police fine their fellow citizens for littering. Oh wait, I just saw a flock of pigs flying over my house. Amazing Thailand :)

Trust me, they won't arrest you. Just smile and pretend you don't understand for 10 - 15 minutes and they give up like bored flys... Seriously keep smiling nodding agreeing and just never get your wallet out, their time is money don't forget. There are a lot easier people walking about and they are certainly not going to want any more publicity after that Aussy woman was nabbed in phuket for something equally retarded. Honestly, just act like you don't understand, pick up the sign, thumbs up it and tell them its very beautiful, NEVER EVER BE RUDE.