Looking For An Oil & Gas Job?

• 1 year later...

I check those sites out on a weekly basis, but many of the jobs are really geared towards the engineers, geophysicists etc. I would imagine it's pretty difficult getting in to much else since locals are able to fill many of the other tech type positions. I've been trying for some time to get a position in the petroleum industry here in the states with little luck. My background is environmental (ambient air and water quality/monitoring, although I want to get more in to the regulatory aspects). I know there are these types of positions within oil/gas companies, but generally only a small percentage of individuals make up EHS departments compared to the entirety of the rest of the company.

Jamie

I've been working in the Oil and Gas business of 27 years (28 years next month). I have never once got a job through a website or an advertisement, it's all about introductions.

I registered with one of the main O&G websites only to find the first thing they did was to send my CV to my current employer - Thanks a lot!

But the thing is, all the well paid O&G are outside of Thailand right now - the differential between Thailand and other places is huge.

I've been working in the Oil and Gas business of 27 years (28 years next month). I have never once got a job through a website or an advertisement, it's all about introductions.

I registered with one of the main O&G websites only to find the first thing they did was to send my CV to my current employer - Thanks a lot!

But the thing is, all the well paid O&G are outside of Thailand right now - the differential between Thailand and other places is huge.

Guesthouse, I have a question:

As I can read you are long time in this industry now and I would like to know if there are chances for a Chef to get a contract. Some friends told me they are employing mostly cheap Fillipinos for these positions.

Thanks,

Gerd

Yes almost entirely Filipinos and occassionaly South Americans.

I once met a Portugese guy working in an on board laundry who asked me when my next trip home was, I told him the weekend, he replied he was looking forward to his trip in 2 months - He was working 6 months straight.

I think that is quite common in the off shore servives.

I myself nolonger work offshore.

I check those sites out on a weekly basis, but many of the jobs are really geared towards the engineers, geophysicists etc. I would imagine it's pretty difficult getting in to much else since locals are able to fill many of the other tech type positions. I've been trying for some time to get a position in the petroleum industry here in the states with little luck. My background is environmental (ambient air and water quality/monitoring, although I want to get more in to the regulatory aspects). I know there are these types of positions within oil/gas companies, but generally only a small percentage of individuals make up EHS departments compared to the entirety of the rest of the company.

Jamie

Try canada, namely the athabasca oil sands region. Fort mcmurray.

Good Luck

Napolean...

I've sent my resume to a number of oil companies working in the tar sands of Alberta, but again no luck. That area is definitely booming, but most are Canadian nationals that are getting the jobs, which I can totally understand. I really think the only way to truly get in to some of these jobs is to know someone that can put a good word in for you as I think a majority of jobs will otherwise be filled internally.

Jamie