What Wrong With The Irish Pubs

Laughing Gravy

I have to say as an Expat of 7 years plus I do like going to a British style pub. Obviously not too spoilt for choice here in Bangkok, generally I go the Irish pubs.

It is usually the ones (three) that are owned by the same owners. The Robin Hood, Orielly's and Mollie Mallones. I don't want this to be a bashing thread but some answers and suggestions would be good.

Over the last year or so I have found that all three have added drinks onto the bill. At first I thought maybe I had more than I thought. But then my friends started saying the same and eventually left drinking at Orielly's as this happened every week. One time when I was in for only 45 minutes and had two beers, the bill came back with three. I told the manager (who isn't a bad fella) so off we went to the camera to check. Yes I was right. Yes a sorry of him and a scowl from the staff. In fact I went in one more time but the staff were so rude as I had caught them out. I haven't been back since and neither have my friends which constitutes to a good few.

So over the last 10 months this has happened in the Robin Hood (More than twice) and now Mollie Mallones. What do people think? Is it a managemnet tactic too get the staff to add a few on, especially if there are a few of you and you generally pay anyway? Are the staff on the fiddle without the manager knowing? Is it just pure incompetance and stupidity that they can't count?

These places are western managed and you guys (I know you are on these forums) should get your houses in Order. I actually like the three places as they have character or maybe there are Characters in them. But ripping your local customers is wrong.

So has anyone else noticed this? After nearly a year of wrong bills it has too be more than coincidence!

I suggest that these places should change their policies and every time you get a round of drinks the bill comes in a small container, Thai style. Or even pay after every round. Get your cameras updated as you can hardly see an image. If it wasn't for the fact that I was wearing a long sleeve shirt I would have been mistaken for someone else.

Anyone else?

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apart from being Irish pubs, the one thing these pubs have in common is a large percentage of customers are farang. Of these, many are on holiday.

I think the Irish pub thing is a red herring. Wherever you get large numbers of low-paid Thai staff coming into contact with farangs on holiday chucking their money around, there will often be overcharging of one sort or another.

So, in short, to avoid the overcharging, avoid the tourist spots.

Never been short changed and they're ok for having a chat with farangs. Except for O'Reilly's which smells like a cesspit after they enforced the no smoking ban inside.

I actually like the places and I said that it is drinks added on the bill. Just because they are places tourist go, should we avoid them? Do you avoid Parts of London because they have Japanese and American tourist there? As mentioned we do not have too much choice here in Bangkok, so as a local style pub, you want to keep the peace and get along and have a jolly time.

What is still baffling me is that all drinks go throuh the till. So either the person who runs the till can take away the added drinks and get the money later or everyone is in on it. I hate to think that as two of the managers seem decent chaps.

Trying to make it constructive and not just flaming, how can the problem be solved? Yes getting the bill everytime is one option but as we all know the calculator has to come out for two drinks and getting the change is always an episode in itself.

I've stopped going to Mollie Malones. It's just too cold inside. You need to wear a sweater in there.

Try doing what I do instead. Just buy your beers at 7 and drink them standing outside. No need to worry about tipping or smoking regulations. More interesting scenery than watching some thai bartender pour 170 baht glasses full of foam.

I've stopped going to Mollie Malones. It's just too cold inside. You need to wear a sweater in there.

Try doing what I do instead. Just buy your beers at 7 and drink them standing outside. No need to worry about tipping or smoking regulations. More interesting scenery than watching some thai bartender pour 170 baht glasses full of foam.

Well I don't want to be a cheap Charlie and I like the sociological environment where you meet with friends, even chat with new people, watch the Rugby and Football and generally have a nice time. Whilst, I agree with you it is cold in Mollie Mallones, standing outside, sweating is not my idea of a good time. I could ay where a Jumper but my Mrs. refuses. A bit like going to the cinema here.

Once again it is not the tipping that bothers me, as if the service is decent I will tip, or the fact of being short changed. It is the fact that drinks are added to your bill and this seems a regular occurance. The managers seem to know this or are in on it. The regular Ex-pat community need it to stop. The Owners and Managers need to put in new practices and procedures to counter act this, or readily admit they are "fleecing the regular customers".

Edited by Laughing Gravy

While I haven't been here quite as long as you, I long ago learned that you ALWAYS check the bill when you go out anywhere. I don't care who owns the place or what color they are or who is serving me. Just check. Sometimes it will be wrong and you just point out the mistake to the server and they will fix it. There isn't any point to getting pissed off about it. That won't ever help. Why would you rely on someone who makes 25 or 50 or whatever baht an hour to give you the correct bill when they can easily skim a lot more than that.

Also, its not just for farangs, this happens everywhere at all kinds of places to everybody. Yeah it sucks, but I don't think you can fix it so just take this information that you have pretty much already worked out on your own and just check the bill every time. With big groups of people ordering a million things you aren't likely to win, but still worth a glance to keep up the habit of checking.

If you are learning Thai, just think of it as reading practice. If you aren't and you can't read, I'm disappointed. Since its at expat pubs, I'm guessing its always in English so there isn't any reason why you shouldn't be checking. I'm somewhat well-traveled and I don't remember going through any countries where people didn't look over the bill before paying on a regular basis (though it wouldn't surprise me if this was normal in some places).

Whatever ideas you have about customer satisfaction and loyalty do not apply here. I realize its hard to accept, but thats just how it is.

To reiterate, check your bill before you pay, always.

Quick afterthought, I've noticed that when Thai people (usually women, but not always) have spent enough time with clueless farangs (who are usually paying), they may stop checking the bill and just let Mr. Whitey-pants pay. <--Try to read that sentence as playful rather than hateful. I enjoy the chaos.

Something else to consider - Whats with all the food centers in Thailand using coupons or the magic food center card?

Topps, Robinsons, Central, etc - I could explain it to you necessary, but let's save that for another post.

My last bit of wisdom to offer (heading out to drink beer and subsequently check the bill before I pay) - all the times I have been screwed over during my time here were on some level my own fault whether due to inexperience, ignorance, or failure to catch on quick enough to how things work here.

Hope this helps.

I have to say as an Expat of 7 years plus I do like going to a British style pub. Obviously not too spoilt for choice here in Bangkok, generally I go the Irish pubs.

It is usually the ones (three) that are owned by the same owners. The Robin Hood, Orielly's and Mollie Mallones. I don't want this to be a bashing thread but some answers and suggestions would be good.

Over the last year or so I have found that all three have added drinks onto the bill. At first I thought maybe I had more than I thought. But then my friends started saying the same and eventually left drinking at Orielly's as this happened every week. One time when I was in for only 45 minutes and had two beers, the bill came back with three. I told the manager (who isn't a bad fella) so off we went to the camera to check. Yes I was right. Yes a sorry of him and a scowl from the staff. In fact I went in one more time but the staff were so rude as I had caught them out. I haven't been back since and neither have my friends which constitutes to a good few.

So over the last 10 months this has happened in the Robin Hood (More than twice) and now Mollie Mallones. What do people think? Is it a managemnet tactic too get the staff to add a few on, especially if there are a few of you and you generally pay anyway? Are the staff on the fiddle without the manager knowing? Is it just pure incompetance and stupidity that they can't count?

These places are western managed and you guys (I know you are on these forums) should get your houses in Order. I actually like the three places as they have character or maybe there are Characters in them. But ripping your local customers is wrong.

So has anyone else noticed this? After nearly a year of wrong bills it has too be more than coincidence!

I suggest that these places should change their policies and every time you get a round of drinks the bill comes in a small container, Thai style. Or even pay after every round. Get your cameras updated as you can hardly see an image. If it wasn't for the fact that I was wearing a long sleeve shirt I would have been mistaken for someone else.

Anyone else?

Well I don't want to be a cheap Charlie and I like the sociological environment where you meet with friends, even chat with new people, watch the Rugby and Football and generally have a nice time. Whilst, I agree with you it is cold in Mollie Mallones, standing outside, sweating is not my idea of a good time. I could ay where a Jumper but my Mrs. refuses. A bit like going to the cinema here.

Once again it is not the tipping that bothers me, as if the service is decent I will tip, or the fact of being short changed. It is the fact that drinks are added to your bill and this seems a regular occurance. The managers seem to know this or are in on it. The regular Ex-pat community need it to stop. The Owners and Managers need to put in new practices and procedures to counter act this, or readily admit they are "fleecing the regular customers".

Well first of all I speak decent Thai and can also read and write. The Bills come in English. What is the problem is that the manager of all 3 places (and quite rightly so, at first, supports them). When they are found to be wrong, as has happened. Doesn't aplogise and, the more I think of it, seems to be part of the conspiracy.

This is meant to be a place for ex-pats and tourist who expect a decent standard of service. Where the bill is correct and the you are not being 'taken for a ride'. I would like to hear from the staff who do come on this forum. They are very quiet!!!

I like Irish Pubs here, but Robin Hood has never had good service and Molly's is not as good as when it was Irish Exchange. The service at O' Rielley's has typically been good (but not the food)and I am not sure why as they are run by the same person as Robin Hood. Try the Dubliner or Duke of Wellington.

I have never had my bill padded at any of these places, but Witches Tavern has padded my bill. The staff at Robin Hood is generally surly at best and they don't seem to have much of a regular crowd. O' Reilley's has a bigger group of regulars which may help to explain the better attitude of the staff. Duke of Wellington is also owned by the same company and is a quiet place with decent food.

Did you just reply to your own post?

Anyway. I don't bother with many of the Irish pubs because bill stuffing or not, they are just too expensive.

No to someones I was going too? Either way, expensive or not they are "creaming" the Ex-pat community and I would like to know has anyone else experienced it. Has anyone got any suggestions?

Anyway. I don't bother with many of the Irish pubs because bill stuffing or not, they are just too expensive.

No to someones I was going too? Either way, expensive or not they are "creaming" the Ex-pat community and I would like to know has anyone else experienced it. Has anyone got any suggestions?

Don't go.

Anyone else?

So its ok to rip off customers who just pop in :)

Had "creative" bills at the Dubliner so many times we stopped going. A group of us used to knock off early on Fridays and descend on the Dubliner around 4pm for the happy hour. We did this for the best part of 2 years. About 50% of the time (seriously that often) we'd get extra charges on the bill. When queried, the manager would almost always say... "Well, that's what happens. People drink too much and can't remember what they had." Occasionally the bills would be rectified.

We started noting down our orders, and yup, the bills were still wrong, and we were still blamed. So we started going to the Bull's Head. Pity, cos we liked the Dubliner otherwise. So the Bull's Head have had our business for the last 2 years.

(In mitigation for the pubs, it does get very confusing for the waitresses. People are always calling out orders and it's not always clear whose bill they should go on. But still.)

Had "creative" bills at the Dubliner so many times we stopped going. A group of us used to knock off early on Fridays and descend on the Dubliner around 4pm for the happy hour. We did this for the best part of 2 years. About 50% of the time (seriously that often) we'd get extra charges on the bill. When queried, the manager would almost always say... "Well, that's what happens. People drink too much and can't remember what they had." Occasionally the bills would be rectified.

We started noting down our orders, and yup, the bills were still wrong, and we were still blamed. So we started going to the Bull's Head. Pity, cos we liked the Dubliner otherwise. So the Bull's Head have had our business for the last 2 years.

(In mitigation for the pubs, it does get very confusing for the waitresses. People are always calling out orders and it's not always clear whose bill they should go on. But still.)

When I frequent Soi 8 pub I get none of this nonsense. Perhaps something to do with the fact that when you order each time they put the bill in your little bill holder or something to do with the big Kiwi owner who knows that ripping off customers is not good for business.

Don't go.

Yes that's the easy option. I was looking for a little more intelligent suggestions. After all I do like the places and feel that if these pubs are "genuine" then they could change their practices and keep customers.

I will keep the "don't go" as a last option but thanks.

Don't go.

Yes that's the easy option. I was looking for a little more intelligent suggestions. After all I do like the places and feel that if these pubs are "genuine" then they could change their practices and keep customers.

I will keep the "don't go" as a last option but thanks.

Wasn't trying to be a smartass (comes naturally I know) but I mean it. Somewhere that rips me off or makes me feel like they don't need my business - will no longer get it.

Nothing I hate more than having some waiter /waitress / manager / owner make it seem like it is a priviledge for me to spend my money in their establishment.

Everyone can screw up from time to time, it's how it is handled which is important to me.

When I frequent Soi 8 pub I get none of this nonsense. Perhaps something to do with the fact that when you order each time they put the bill in your little bill holder or something to do with the big Kiwi owner who knows that ripping off customers is not good for business.

I agree with James on this one, I have never had a problem in Soi 8 which is of the two pubs that I frequent. The other being The Crossbar, and again I have never had any problems with the bills. I guess the owners now that bill padding is not good for repeat business. I am surprised that The Robin Hood's service has become poor, going back 3-4 years ago it was my regular watering hole as it was located close to work, but I have noticed the last couple of times that I have been in there the service not so good. For bill padding I have found Titanium, Gullivers and The Penalty Spot the biggest culprits, so hence they don't get my business, and never will again.

I like Irish Pubs here, but Robin Hood has never had good service and Molly's is not as good as when it was Irish Exchange. The service at O' Rielley's has typically been good (but not the food)and I am not sure why as they are run by the same person as Robin Hood. Try the Dubliner or Duke of Wellington.

I have never had my bill padded at any of these places, but Witches Tavern has padded my bill. The staff at Robin Hood is generally surly at best and they don't seem to have much of a regular crowd. O' Reilley's has a bigger group of regulars which may help to explain the better attitude of the staff. Duke of Wellington is also owned by the same company and is a quiet place with decent food.

Well O'Reillys has lost 15 regular customers since Christmas due to the staff having awful attitudes. If you point out they have made a mistake then you are given awful service, ignored and spoken to very rudely. The manager should get rid of thema nd he knows who they are.

I have to say the Duke of Wellington is an awful pub and lifeless along with flat beer. Whoever designed the place has never been to a pub in the UK.

To bkkjames no offence taken and I will keep going to the other places as an option. The sad thing is that if it was the UK you can have a choice of 50 pubs within a small area. Here you do not have that.

I would like to know if people think it's the staff "skimming", the manager knowing also along with the owner, or is it just coincidence (I find this very hard to believe) from incompetent staff?

Well O'Reillys has lost 15 regular customers since Christmas due to the staff having awful attitudes. If you point out they have made a mistake then you are given awful service, ignored and spoken to very rudely. The manager should get rid of thema nd he knows who they are.

I have to say the Duke of Wellington is an awful pub and lifeless along with flat beer. Whoever designed the place has never been to a pub in the UK.

To bkkjames no offence taken and I will keep going to the other places as an option. The sad thing is that if it was the UK you can have a choice of 50 pubs within a small area. Here you do not have that.

I would like to know if people think it's the staff "skimming", the manager knowing also along with the owner, or is it just coincidence (I find this very hard to believe) from incompetent staff?

Generally speaking - poor service starts at the top and rolls down hill. If he does know, enough said, if he doesn't know, he shouldn't be in business and probably won't be for very long.

Pints of Tiger/Heiniken beer in O'Reillys go for something like 90 baht which is not that expensive.

Pints of Tiger/Heiniken beer in O'Reillys go for something like 90 baht which is not that expensive.

Tiger/Henieken 70bht/80bht between 4 and 7 in Robin Hood - never had a problem there whereas the arrogance of some of the staff at the Dubliner is astounding - 'give tip, why you not give tip' this happened after I went to the bar to get a drink as the waiting staff were too busy pissing around with their phones - good selection of newspapers though

The Witches Tavern continually used to pad our bills, so very rarely go there anymore. They even put drinks on that no-one had had, like a Guinness when everyone was on Tiger. Their current buy one get one free bottle promotion is also a joke as it is Bt 150+ for a bottle. Shame as it on my way home from work and very handy.

The Dubliner is also fond of padding, but the reason I don't go there much anymore is all the p*ssed up w*nkers who hang around there every day. Used to go in regularly on Fridays after work and you could guarantee they would be all there drunk acting like muppets. One guy in particular is always staggering round at 6-ish. Even walked out to the patio smoking area and urinated into the bushes there while the manager watched. Real class act!!

Never noticed any problems in the Robin Hood and their Bt 70 promotion before 7pm is good value, but the pub is boring and devoid of atmosphere.

The Bulls Head is the same. No rip off problems that I noticed, but it is boring.

I have suspected Mollys of slipping in an extra bill or two in before, but there is usually a few of us and you can never be sure. Other than that I quite like it.

Walked in the Duke of Wellington once, finished our drink and left. Cr*p place.

Liked the new Australian bar on soi 11. A few of their staff are from Dubliner and Mollys so maybe there will be the same bill padding issues.

Only been in Soi 8 bar once and that was decent with a good band. Went to watch an England game and it wasn't on the advertised channel. The owner was really helpful trying to sort it. Hated the place when it was Corleones, mostly down to the idiots that owned it.

The new Australian bar on soi 11 is owned by the same company that owns O’Reilly’s, Molly Malone and few others. It is a very large outfit that has places all over Asia. Doubt it is a conspiracy, the guy that runs Thailand certainly wouldn’t put up with it, but since they don’t pay the farangs a huge amount, it is probably an issue he has to deal with. Soi 8 is owner run place, so would expect him to be on top of it.

These threads always seem to me to be started by people that have grudges of some sort against a place or group of them. I’ve been O’Reilly’s literally thousands of times over close to 8 years and never had any problem with the bill. Some of the staff is indeed not the friendliest, but that’s ok, I don’t go to interact with the staff other then to order a beer.

TH

The only experience I've had of bill padding has also been in O'Reillys about 6months ago. When this was pointed out the staff were extremely rude and surly and I have never been there since.

The staff at the Queen Victoria and the Pickled Liver seem to be the most friendly and sincere imho. Never had any problems with bill padding and have been frequenting the latter for over 3years. Nice little beer garden/terrace type thing by the Queen Vic as well.

The new Australian bar on soi 11 is owned by the same company that owns O’Reilly’s, Molly Malone and few others. It is a very large outfit that has places all over Asia. Doubt it is a conspiracy, the guy that runs Thailand certainly wouldn’t put up with it, but since they don’t pay the farangs a huge amount, it is probably an issue he has to deal with. Soi 8 is owner run place, so would expect him to be on top of it.

These threads always seem to me to be started by people that have grudges of some sort against a place or group of them. I’ve been O’Reilly’s literally thousands of times over close to 8 years and never had any problem with the bill. Some of the staff is indeed not the friendliest, but that’s ok, I don’t go to interact with the staff other then to order a beer.

TH

I guess one of the managers has replied???

If you take time to read my threads I like these places. In fact I even go on to say that at least two of the managers are decent chaps. So no grudge at all. I wanted to see if it is just myself and friends who have the bills padded. The evidence would suggest that it is a regular occurance.

Also I have mentioned that I want to keep going these places (I like them) but I am fed up of getting drinks put on the bill. Each time I have paid, mentioned it to the manager and have been proven right that I was in fact correct. So in my original thread what can be done to stop this happening? New strategies or policies. If the managers or owners are behind this practice then I hope kharmic justice comes there way. I use to go o'rielly for 6 years (felt like a local pub) but after constant items added on the bill to myself and many friends along with the rude service, so I stopped.

Again if they changed the practice and put the bill in a little cup so nobody can be blamed for misleading bills. It would seem that these three places seem to have staff that went to the same school for adding up. As you go in O'Riellys so often maybe you can suggest it to the manager (all the other places also would be nice) as this would go to me returning. I actually like Fridays and Wednesdays (Band Night).

One friend has suggested getting the tourist police in each time as they do have cameras (but not very good) that can see how how long and what you have drank. This is an option for some. But again as a place that I enjoy going, I don't want to do that. I just want them to change their current practice so I can go on enjoying myself, not having to have a pen and paper marking my drinks down.

The new Australian bar on soi 11 is owned by the same company that owns O'Reilly's, Molly Malone and few others. It is a very large outfit that has places all over Asia. Doubt it is a conspiracy, the guy that runs Thailand certainly wouldn't put up with it, but since they don't pay the farangs a huge amount, it is probably an issue he has to deal with. Soi 8 is owner run place, so would expect him to be on top of it.

These threads always seem to me to be started by people that have grudges of some sort against a place or group of them. I've been O'Reilly's literally thousands of times over close to 8 years and never had any problem with the bill. Some of the staff is indeed not the friendliest, but that's ok, I don't go to interact with the staff other then to order a beer.

TH

O'Reilly's and Mollys are not the same company. however, the Aussie bar is owned by mollys group. and how would you know how much the managers get paid?

the systems in these pubs are set up so the staff cant rip of the customers. the reason why you would have extra beers on your bill is the staff will put it there hoping you will not notice. they put it there not because they pocket the money, its there because they made a mistake by pouring the wrong drink as they do often, and the policy of the pubs is that if they make a mistake they pay for it.

thus, they try to palm it off to the customers. I can assure you that this is an ongoing battle the managers have with the staff, the managers are in no way trying to pocket extra cash????? its either that, or the customer has had too many drinks and cant handle his beer and blames the pub for padding his bill when he finds out he went over budget! normally its the later.

if you have anymore questions, please feel free to PM me.

Edited by onnut

I experienced the opposite in The Robin Hood.

I told the waitress my meal was terrible (I'm not fussy but this was shocking, and she did ask why I'd barely touched it!) and when the bill came they'd crossed that meal off. Never had a bill padded in one of these "Irish" bars.