What Wrong With The Irish Pubs

Laughing Gravy

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well i came to thailand to get away from the irish type bars, and their prices, :) . 450 baht for a roast dinner at shenanigans and 120 for a glass of milk, RETAIL !...... no thanks

who the hel_l would go to a pub and drink MILK??? :D:D

Well i came to thailand to get away from the irish type bars, and their prices, :) . 450 baht for a roast dinner at shenanigans and 120 for a glass of milk, RETAIL !...... no thanks

The milky bar kid ! lol,. :D ( actually my 7 year old ) :D

I think Irish bars are fantastic - if in Dublin

Exactly, I was in an O'Malley's in Krabi and not only is the staff not Irish, the owner is not Irish and I don't even believe the Irish beer mat was from Ireland !

Well If only you are drinking on the North side, real Dublin Pubs. But as we are in Bangkok, like the rest of the world, we have imitations. Some are good, others better.

But getting back to Bangkok they (the 3 pubs in question) are an ex pats weekend or weekday visit to farangland. This is a place where they meet friends, usually Western, like to get some Western food and also be around many Western people. With this they pay not far off Western prices along with the hope of Western service, with the illusian that for a few moments they are not in Thailand. People can listen and watch Sport in English, read English Newspapers and generally have a "British experience".

Getting ripped off isn't part of that experience.

The milky bar kid ! lol,. :D ( actually my 7 year old ) :D

:D of course. in that case 120 baht for a glass of milk is a rip off.

But getting back to Bangkok they (the 3 pubs in question) are an ex pats weekend or weekday visit to farangland. This is a place where they meet friends, usually Western, like to get some Western food and also be around many Western people. With this they pay not far off Western prices along with the hope of Western service, with the illusian that for a few moments they are not in Thailand. People can listen and watch Sport in English, read English Newspapers and generally have a "British experience".

Sounds dreadful !

Why don't they just move to the west :)

Sounds dreadful !

Why don't they just move to the west :)

Come on Chaimai can't people have a little comfort from their past lives. Do you really have to move back to the west because you want a pub without getting ripped off (getting back to the original thread) and like the British/Irish pub style experience?

I hope you are not one of those "if you don't like it why don't you go back to your home country" type of person?

Come on Chaimai can't people have a little comfort from their past lives. Do you really have to move back to the west because you want a pub without getting ripped off (getting back to the original thread) and like the British/Irish pub style experience?

I hope you are not one of those "if you don't like it why don't you go back to your home country" type of person?

Sorry, I was a bit harsh - but I do get fed up with some people hankering for everything they left behind. Then I would say "go back..."

I appreciate that everyone needs the company of 'their own' from time to time but when virtual enclaves are formed it goes too far.

I guess it is, of course, personal choice. I prefer to get embroiled in the Thai way of life but I have also discovered many Falang friends and very much enjoy their company. I do not hanker for western surroundings though - I am very happy to share their company at the local Thai bars/restaurants.

To the OP, why not go to places like the Londoner? Judging by the name it's British. Isn't Black Swan British? Any others? If you prefer British pubs then go to them!

Thanks Jimjim for your suggestion. Yes I do know both of them places and have never had any added drinks on the bills. The Londoner, I have to say, besides the Sunday Buffet is not my place thanks. The Black Swan is a little small for me and getting up and down them spiral stairs to go the bathroom is always a challenge. I won't mention sitting on the toilet with your knees to your chest, unless you are under 10 stone don't bother.

To Chaimai, the only bit of westernisation I have and want is going to the pub with friends and collegues. 95% of the time I go 'native' and generally prefer too, except for this one little vice of going to a British/Irish pub.

I was hoping to get some ideas from people how to deal with the bill adding, how to get it stopped, as it clearly seems to be common practice and even policy. The suggestions of alternatives are welcome though.

Never realised this was going on so much!

dont think this has happened to me in the pickled liver or the black swan tho,I quite like these places.

off topic are there any quiz nights going on?

Yes, here's your first question.

Happy Hour at the Plastic Shamrock lasts from 5-7pm. Pints of local beer are 99 baht, down from 150 baht. Dave, Bob and Jose order three pints of Tiger at 6:55pm. Then their friend Algernon wanders in at 7:10pm and orders a pint of Tiger.

They get the bill after that one drink to go and join Chaimai for a bottle of Lao Khao on broken plastic stools next to a superhighway. Service charge is 10%, VAT is already included.

What was the bill total?

1152, assuming Tiger is considered local beer and they all had a Tiger to go.

Better make it multiple choice next time :)

Did you use your calculator?

3 x 99 = 297 (he didnt say they orded 3 each)

1 x 150 = 150

Subtotal = 447

Bottle of Lao White ? = But I doubt is was 500 baht

10% service charge = 75 baht if the lao white was 300 baht for example (45 for the beer, 30 for the lao)

Total 500 and change.

Better make it multiple choice next time :)

1 x 150 = 150

Subtotal = 447

10% service charge = 75 baht if the lao white was 300 baht for example (45 for the beer, 30 for the lao)

Total 500 and change.

I guess by the way some people add up they must be staff working at these places or those who have been teaching them Math's.

just pay everytime you get a drink ,,..when im in some of those places in bkk i usually pay for my drink straight away ..avoids all the hassle later......each drink you get pay for it ..its the norm in ireland or any part of europe

just pay everytime you get a drink ,,..when im in some of those places in bkk i usually pay for my drink straight away ..avoids all the hassle later......each drink you get pay for it ..its the norm in ireland or any part of europe

They do that for a reason - its less confusing which is where some "padding" comes from - othertimes its just foul cheating!

A.

The new Australian bar on soi 11 is owned by the same company that owns O'Reilly's, Molly Malone and few others. It is a very large outfit that has places all over Asia. Doubt it is a conspiracy, the guy that runs Thailand certainly wouldn't put up with it, but since they don't pay the farangs a huge amount, it is probably an issue he has to deal with. Soi 8 is owner run place, so would expect him to be on top of it.

These threads always seem to me to be started by people that have grudges of some sort against a place or group of them. I've been O'Reilly's literally thousands of times over close to 8 years and never had any problem with the bill. Some of the staff is indeed not the friendliest, but that's ok, I don't go to interact with the staff other then to order a beer.

TH

O'Reilly's and Mollys are not the same company. however, the Aussie bar is owned by mollys group. and how would you know how much the managers get paid?

the systems in these pubs are set up so the staff cant rip of the customers. the reason why you would have extra beers on your bill is the staff will put it there hoping you will not notice. they put it there not because they pocket the money, its there because they made a mistake by pouring the wrong drink as they do often, and the policy of the pubs is that if they make a mistake they pay for it.

thus, they try to palm it off to the customers. I can assure you that this is an ongoing battle the managers have with the staff, the managers are in no way trying to pocket extra cash????? its either that, or the customer has had too many drinks and cant handle his beer and blames the pub for padding his bill when he finds out he went over budget! normally its the later.

if you have anymore questions, please feel free to PM me.

Wow, didn't mean to offend anyone.

Don't think its called the Mollys group. Something like Eclispe or something.

I didn't have any questions in the first place. I certainly didn't mean to suggest the managers were pocketing the cash, more along the lines of you get what you pay for. Have a pretty good idea what they make, its not hard to find out. I was one saying I didn't think bill padding was conspiracy to rip people off. Agree it is more a slack work force.

TH

disclaimer: I am in no way employed or associate with any bar or company the owns one and will now back out of this thread.

Edited by thaihome

The new Australian bar on soi 11 is owned by the same company that owns O'Reilly's, Molly Malone and few others. It is a very large outfit that has places all over Asia. Doubt it is a conspiracy, the guy that runs Thailand certainly wouldn't put up with it, but since they don't pay the farangs a huge amount, it is probably an issue he has to deal with. Soi 8 is owner run place, so would expect him to be on top of it.

These threads always seem to me to be started by people that have grudges of some sort against a place or group of them. I've been O'Reilly's literally thousands of times over close to 8 years and never had any problem with the bill. Some of the staff is indeed not the friendliest, but that's ok, I don't go to interact with the staff other then to order a beer.

TH

O'Reilly's and Mollys are not the same company. however, the Aussie bar is owned by mollys group. and how would you know how much the managers get paid?

the systems in these pubs are set up so the staff cant rip of the customers. the reason why you would have extra beers on your bill is the staff will put it there hoping you will not notice. they put it there not because they pocket the money, its there because they made a mistake by pouring the wrong drink as they do often, and the policy of the pubs is that if they make a mistake they pay for it.

thus, they try to palm it off to the customers. I can assure you that this is an ongoing battle the managers have with the staff, the managers are in no way trying to pocket extra cash????? its either that, or the customer has had too many drinks and cant handle his beer and blames the pub for padding his bill when he finds out he went over budget! normally its the later.

if you have anymore questions, please feel free to PM me.

Wow, didn't mean to offend anyone.

Don't think its called the Mollys group. Something like Eclispe or something.

I didn't have any questions in the first place. I certainly didn't mean to suggest the managers were pocketing the cash, more along the lines of you get what you pay for. Have a pretty good idea what they make, its not hard to find out. I was one saying I didn't think bill padding was conspiracy to rip people off. Agree it is more a slack work force.

TH

disclaimer: I am in no way employed or associate with any bar or company the owns one and will now back out of this thread.

You are not offending anyone. This is an open forum where people can share and expres views and opinions. It seems that these three places have a policy of adding items to the bills. It is sad as I really like going there for a beer. Other people I have spoken too have had the same problem. I did ask if anyone had suggestions of how to stop this practice of bill padding. very few have come other than change places and don't go. This is frustrating and annouying as I wan't to keep going there withouit getting "fleeced". I am still hoping that the owners or managers change their current practice and get their act together.

Is this possible?

To the OP, why not go to places like the Londoner? Judging by the name it's British. Isn't Black Swan British? Any others? If you prefer British pubs then go to them!

Thanks Jimjim for your suggestion. Yes I do know both of them places and have never had any added drinks on the bills.

So, you prefer British pubs yet have complaints about them. (You seem to not like the Black Swan because you don't like sitting on the toilet there? How often do you need to take a crap when out in public? :) For me, that is a rare occurrence, indeed.) You go to Irish pubs instead yet have complaints about them. If you prefer the British ones why not just go to them as you have complaints about both types?

Also, what about the Bull's Head Pub on Sukhumvit Soi 33/1. Isn't that British? I think it's right near the Robin Hood, from memory. And there has to be some more British pubs besides the three I've mentioned.

I'm just confused. If you are asking for ways to make the pubs better, why not ask for ways to make the British pubs better as you yourself say would prefer a nice British pub over an Irish pub?

Better make it multiple choice next time :D

1 x 150 = 150

Subtotal = 447

Total 500 and change.

:)

1 x 150 = 150

Subtotal = 447

PLUS one (round i assume) to go 4x150 = 600; total 1047 + 10% service = 1152

Thanks Jimjim for your suggestion. Yes I do know both of them places and have never had any added drinks on the bills.

So, you prefer British pubs yet have complaints about them. (You seem to not like the Black Swan because you don't like sitting on the toilet there? How often do you need to take a crap when out in public? :) For me, that is a rare occurrence, indeed.) You go to Irish pubs instead yet have complaints about them. If you prefer the British ones why not just go to them as you have complaints about both types?

Also, what about the Bull's Head Pub on Sukhumvit Soi 33/1. Isn't that British? I think it's right near the Robin Hood, @rom memory. And there has to be some more British pubs besides the three I've mentioned.

I'm just confused. If you are asking for ways to make the pubs better, why not ask for ways to make the British pubs better as you yourself say would prefer a nice British pub over an Irish pub?

Not another managers reply???

Well as you have chosen to selectively read parts of my posts I will point things out again. The Black Swan I am not a big fan of due to the toilet upstairs on a winding staircase that in my opinion is dangerous, whether you have had a beer or not. If you have been in the toilet (the sat down one) you will know that it wasn't built for westerners. Simple observations and facts that they are not typical style fittings in a British Pub.

Secondly I am "complaining" as you put it regrading the adding of drinks on bills that is clearly evident at the three places mentioned. The Robin Hood, O'Reillys and Mollie Mallones all owned by the same group as it was being pointed out.

Please show me where I have mentioned I prefer a British Pub over an Irish Pub. I class them as the same.

What the thread is about, as I like these places and want to continue going, is how to stop the outrageous, underhand and disgraceful tactics by all three pubs to extort money from the customer. So if you have any suggestions on how this practice can stop I would like to hear them. Some people have given alternatives to these places, of which I have given some feedback on them.

Please don't be confused as if the threads are read properley then there is no need for confusion.

Secondly I am "complaining" as you put it regrading the adding of drinks on bills that is clearly evident at the three places mentioned. The Robin Hood, O'Reillys and Mollie Mallones all owned by the same group as it was being pointed out.

hi there, I said in an earlier post on this thread that the Robin Hood, O'Reilly's and Mollys are not the same group. Robin Hood and O'reilly's are together and Molly's is together with The new Aussie Pub on Soi 11. these are two separate companies. why dont you just talk to the managers when you have a problemwith the bill?

hi there, I said in an earlier post on this thread that the Robin Hood, O'Reilly's and Mollys are not the same group. Robin Hood and O'reilly's are together and Molly's is together with The new Aussie Pub on Soi 11. these are two separate companies. why dont you just talk to the managers when you have a problemwith the bill?

Thanks for that clarification onnut. To the question of speaking with the managers I have. I have even been proven right before from video evidence. They generally don't seem to bothered. I did get an apology from the manager at O'Riellys when this happened but when I went back in the staff treated me like a leper and had the audacity to say to my Thai wife "not come come back". Why because they had been clearly shown to be adding drinks on? The other two places the managers didn't seem that bothered and I got the "I will check the video evidence". Friends have been in since and nothing said to them and they are getting the bill every time, which is so annoying. Everytime I have paid and explained that I would like them to review and see what went wrong. This is not too much to ask unless there really is an hidden agenda.

Genuine mistakes happen I fully understand that. In a business you would then rectify that, to ensure it doesn't happen again. Once again this is happneing over and over again. Normally I would be out at this time drinking in one of these 3 places but I am giving it a miss. Friends are there and will be paying everytime a round comes.

Surely there has to be a better way than that as if it is not policy to add drinks, especially in this economic climate, then you would have thought that ways to avoid this seemingly common occurance happening.

Edited by Laughing Gravy