What Wrong With The Irish Pubs

Laughing Gravy

Steady on Laughing Gravy, you spent 2 pages arguing about what kind of pubs you said you liked. You've had several suggestions (how many do you want?) and now you want some kind of public kangaroo court for bar managers.

I know you only post a dozen messages a year, but do you have to be quite so precious about this thread?

I Think LG has a point. If any of the managers had say a username the same as their establishment, then they could give a more open response rather than trying to hide under another name (or 3)... The one I always see on Thaivisa is Sunbelt as an example... maybe one of the establishments being discussed here would like to try?

MNM

that can be done I guess, but if they used the name of the bar/pub and had their logo as an avator would they then not be slagged off for free advertising?

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steady on Laughing Gravy, you spent 2 pages arguing about what kind of pubs you said you liked. You've had several suggestions (how many do you want?) and now you want some kind of public kangaroo court for bar managers.

I know you only post a dozen messages a year, but do you have to be quite so precious about this thread?

I Think LG has a point. If any of the managers had say a username the same as their establishment, then they could give a more open response rather than trying to hide under another name (or 3)... The one I always see on Thaivisa is Sunbelt as an example... maybe one of the establishments being discussed here would like to try?

MNM

that can be done I guess, but if they used the name of the bar/pub and had their logo as an avator would they then not be slagged off for free advertising?

OK, so what about my example? SUNBELT do it already, other companies do it already do it so why not someone else?

MNM

I have to say as an Expat of 7 years plus I do like going to a British style pub. Obviously not too spoilt for choice here in Bangkok, generally I go the Irish pubs.

It is usually the ones (three) that are owned by the same owners. The Robin Hood, Orielly's and Mollie Mallones. I don't want this to be a bashing thread but some answers and suggestions would be good.

Over the last year or so I have found that all three have added drinks onto the bill. At first I thought maybe I had more than I thought. But then my friends started saying the same and eventually left drinking at Orielly's as this happened every week. One time when I was in for only 45 minutes and had two beers, the bill came back with three. I told the manager (who isn't a bad fella) so off we went to the camera to check. Yes I was right. Yes a sorry of him and a scowl from the staff. In fact I went in one more time but the staff were so rude as I had caught them out. I haven't been back since and neither have my friends which constitutes to a good few.

So over the last 10 months this has happened in the Robin Hood (More than twice) and now Mollie Mallones. What do people think? Is it a managemnet tactic too get the staff to add a few on, especially if there are a few of you and you generally pay anyway? Are the staff on the fiddle without the manager knowing? Is it just pure incompetance and stupidity that they can't count?

These places are western managed and you guys (I know you are on these forums) should get your houses in Order. I actually like the three places as they have character or maybe there are Characters in them. But ripping your local customers is wrong.

So has anyone else noticed this? After nearly a year of wrong bills it has too be more than coincidence!

I suggest that these places should change their policies and every time you get a round of drinks the bill comes in a small container, Thai style. Or even pay after every round. Get your cameras updated as you can hardly see an image. If it wasn't for the fact that I was wearing a long sleeve shirt I would have been mistaken for someone else.

Anyone else?

thats a bold statement your making, why dont you pop in there and bring it up with the owner, ive known him personally for a very long time and im sure he would be interested in what you have got to say....VERY INTERESTED in fact

Where did I say or imply that I want a Kangaroo court? In fact polecat I want the opposite. All I want is the managers and owners, who are on here and it doesn't take a genieus to find them, to give their account of what's happening. Once again I will clearly define. When I put the thread on I mentioned that I wanted suggestions of how the adding of drinks could be stopped and ideas for the managers/owners on how this could be applied. Also some alternative suggestions on places that don't have this practice of adding drinks on the bill. Thanfully some posters have given this.

So polecat what's your affiliation to all this? Was you ripped off? Or are you connected to the mentioned bars? Or do you have some suggestions? I look forward to them. If neither shouldn't you move on?

I have to say as an Expat of 7 years plus I do like going to a British style pub. Obviously not too spoilt for choice here in Bangkok, generally I go the Irish pubs.

It is usually the ones (three) that are owned by the same owners. The Robin Hood, Orielly's and Mollie Mallones. I don't want this to be a bashing thread but some answers and suggestions would be good.

Over the last year or so I have found that all three have added drinks onto the bill. At first I thought maybe I had more than I thought. But then my friends started saying the same and eventually left drinking at Orielly's as this happened every week. One time when I was in for only 45 minutes and had two beers, the bill came back with three. I told the manager (who isn't a bad fella) so off we went to the camera to check. Yes I was right. Yes a sorry of him and a scowl from the staff. In fact I went in one more time but the staff were so rude as I had caught them out. I haven't been back since and neither have my friends which constitutes to a good few.

So over the last 10 months this has happened in the Robin Hood (More than twice) and now Mollie Mallones. What do people think? Is it a managemnet tactic too get the staff to add a few on, especially if there are a few of you and you generally pay anyway? Are the staff on the fiddle without the manager knowing? Is it just pure incompetance and stupidity that they can't count?

These places are western managed and you guys (I know you are on these forums) should get your houses in Order. I actually like the three places as they have character or maybe there are Characters in them. But ripping your local customers is wrong.

So has anyone else noticed this? After nearly a year of wrong bills it has too be more than coincidence!

I suggest that these places should change their policies and every time you get a round of drinks the bill comes in a small container, Thai style. Or even pay after every round. Get your cameras updated as you can hardly see an image. If it wasn't for the fact that I was wearing a long sleeve shirt I would have been mistaken for someone else.

Anyone else?

thats a bold statement your making, why dont you pop in there and bring it up with the owner, ive known him personally for a very long time and im sure he would be interested in what you have got to say....VERY INTERESTED in fact

thirdeyedmt. I see from your previous post you are from the UK? So what affiliation have you too any of the three places. The bold statements don't intimidate me, although they sound very threatening.

Yes I would meet with the owners anytime. Are you a spokesperson for the pub? As you have said you know the owner personally, for a long time? I am very glad that the person you have known for a very long time, personally, is interested in changing current practice. Why doesn't he say that here? Do you have to say it for him?

But back to the original thread. ? Why are the 3 Irish pubs bill adding? Is this an isolated case? It seems not, in fact by the response it seems common practice. Is it current practice with the knowledge of the staff and western managers and owners? If not get the people involved to say otherwise.

Well I imagine most would be pretty drunk when they get their bill and don't think it will padded if you had 3 chang. How many times have you guys got it wrong? but that of course rarely happens lol

Anyone else?

thirdeyedmt. I see from your previous post you are from the UK? So what affiliation have you too any of the three places. The bold statements don't intimidate me, although they sound very threatening.

Yes I would meet with the owners anytime. Are you a spokesperson for the pub? As you have said you know the owner personally, for a long time? I am very glad that the person you have known for a very long time, personally, is interested in changing current practice. Why doesn't he say that here? Do you have to say it for him?

But back to the original thread. ? Why are the 3 Irish pubs bill adding? Is this an isolated case? It seems not, in fact by the response it seems common practice. Is it current practice with the knowledge of the staff and western managers and owners? If not get the people involved to say otherwise.

Zorro1. I imagine these places are not on your radar? They do not serve "Chang" too much or in Pint glasses or as wine. Zorro please don't think too much.You should not imagine too much. You might get it wrong!!

I live on Suk and have visited every irish pub in Bkk at some stage and have never been padded. Some things just tend to happen more to some people, who knows why? bit like getting into fights i guess. Maybe you look cheap so they want their tip up front :)

p.s thats why I mentioned Chang , tongue in cheek

Anyone else?

Zorro1. I imagine these places are not on your radar? They do not serve "Chang" too much or in Pint glasses or as wine. Zorro please don't think too much.You should not imagine too much. You might get it wrong!!

Well Zorro1 you are very lucky. Many people have been "bill padded" as this thread is clearly showing. Please don't taint everyone as the same as you. A Chang drinker. In fact I wouldn't buy it for my friends or enemies. So we now know you haven't been cheated with bill adding. What affiliation do you have to these pubs? Any?So move along little boy with your Woodbines and Chang.

Edited by Laughing Gravy

So polecat what's your affiliation to all this? Was you ripped off? Or are you connected to the mentioned bars? Or do you have some suggestions? I look forward to them. If neither shouldn't you move on?

Guess you missed my post on Page 1 of this thread, where I explained how I had been ripped off repeatedly at the Dubliner, and explained that we had found the Bull's Head to be a much better deal.

I also helped explain that Irish pubs and British pubs were different, something you had a two page argument about.

As for giving bar managers a platform to respond, I just don't think that's gonna work. I might be proved wrong (it has happened before you know, in 1987 when Julia Eckersley and Simon parkin we... oh never mind), but I can't see why they would want to get involved in a public debate. If they know it's happening and don't care, why would they respond? And if they do care, surely they would want to address it behind closed doors, not on a messageboard.

Affiliations? I have been drinking at all the major farang pubs since the late 90s and continue to do so, although my favourites change. I have also written articles on many of these venues and included them in guidebook work I have done.

Is that OK? Am I allowed to participate, or are you now demanding entrance fees for your precious thread?

Well Zorro1 you are very lucky. Many people have been "bill padded" as this thread is clearly showing. Please don't taint everyone as the same as you. A Chang drinker. In fact I wouldn't buy it for my friends or enemies. So we now know you haven't been cheated with bill adding. What affiliation do you have to these pubs? Any?So move along little boy with your Woodbines and Chang.

As one of the two supposed bar managers you think you have found, perhaps you should read some of my other posts to see nothing could be further from the reality. I do see you have a habit of making personal remarks, mostly of a insulting nature, about posters that do not agree you. Perhaps you should work on you ability to accept other opinions that don't agree with yours without resorting to personal remarks.

But, you have managed to make your grudge into a multi page thread, so I guess you have accomplished what you set out to do under the guise of just wanting some information.

TH

Anyone else?

errrm 2 posts back you thought you were replying to my post (the post above) my post was 1 post back. If you cant even reply to a post correctly what chance have you got of sorting your bill when your pissed :):D:D

Look at the top of this post do you see my name there, he he your a dill!

Edited by zorro1

I can't see where this is going.

I hate bill padding, and if it happens to me then I will not return to those establishments and will mention it on here.

The OP has been given some other alternative places, which he should try; Bulls Head, The Crossbar and Soi 8 for starters.

As one of the two supposed bar managers you think you have found, perhaps you should read some of my other posts to see nothing could be further from the reality. I do see you have a habit of making personal remarks, mostly of a insulting nature, about posters that do not agree you. Perhaps you should work on you ability to accept other opinions that don't agree with yours without resorting to personal remarks.

But, you have managed to make your grudge into a multi page thread, so I guess you have accomplished what you set out to do under the guise of just wanting some information.

TH

Yes I have to admit I could have been more polite but I felt that the response was apt due to was was said back.

Secondly I would like to know how you can mind read, knowing what I set out to do. So I will just explain this again. I set out to find out if other posters had there bill added on with extra drinks. Also how this practice could be stopped suggestions with alternatives to drinking at the three places would be appreciated.

Does that make it clear? people have a right to disagree with me, I have no problem with that. When people start being "funny and inpolite" then I often do so back.

As to knowing two managers are on the board it is pretty easy. Read there previous postings. It doesn't take Sherlock Holmes to work it out. Also, how do you know that the managers at these named places have not send me a private message? I hope that clears that up as I would hate to think that you have been mistaken again in what my intentions are.

Have a great day.

Thanks to all the suggestions people gave. I will surely be trying them. Sadly no changes in procedures or practice has happened in the 3 Irish Pubs.

Edited by Laughing Gravy

Guess you missed my post on Page 1 of this thread, where I explained how I had been ripped off repeatedly at the Dubliner, and explained that we had found the Bull's Head to be a much better deal.

I also helped explain that Irish pubs and British pubs were different, something you had a two page argument about.

As for giving bar managers a platform to respond, I just don't think that's gonna work. I might be proved wrong (it has happened before you know, in 1987 when Julia Eckersley and Simon parkin we... oh never mind), but I can't see why they would want to get involved in a public debate. If they know it's happening and don't care, why would they respond? And if they do care, surely they would want to address it behind closed doors, not on a messageboard.

Affiliations? I have been drinking at all the major farang pubs since the late 90s and continue to do so, although my favourites change. I have also written articles on many of these venues and included them in guidebook work I have done.

Is that OK? Am I allowed to participate, or are you now demanding entrance fees for your precious thread?

That's a fair point polecat and I apologise if it came across that you can't join the thread. But you can still pay me a fee if you so desire.

I would have to disagree with you that I had a two page argument on Irish pubs and British pubs. I think you will find that I hardly participated and kindly asked could we get back to the threads topic and leave the polotics out.

So your affiliation to them and I admire your honesty, that you write articles for the pubs named. Again I would have to disagree that a public forum would not be a good place to respond. If and I do know that at least two of the managers are on here, then saying, if as you say, is not of their knowledge, possibly explaining that new procedures would be put in place. Some posters have given suggestions, as I have too. Or even explaining that they know that this practice is happening and are going to do something about it etc.

But as you mention, why would they want to get involved in a public debate,especially if they don't care and know what is happening.

I am suprised that so many other people responded as I intially thought that the practice was limited to myself and circle of friends. There was no intention to get a thread going and keep it going for "flaming". But for some responses I do feel compelled to reply, especially when I know it not to be true.

So your affiliation to them and I admire your honesty, that you write articles for the pubs named.

Don't get me wrong. I've written articles ABOUT the pubs and bars, not for them Some have been positive, some have been negative. And I never recommend places based on friendship or freebies - unlike many of the writers in BKK.

Anyway, as you were.

(You seem to not like the Black Swan because you don't like sitting on the toilet there? How often do you need to take a crap when out in public? :) For me, that is a rare occurrence, indeed.)

I too am a bit bemused LaughingGravy about your toiletry requirements when down at the local. Is taking a dump when you are out for a beer really a common occurence?

I always enjoy my evenings at the Black Swan - nice quiet place, not too big, not too small - and good food. Gets my vote.

(You seem to not like the Black Swan because you don't like sitting on the toilet there? How often do you need to take a crap when out in public? :) For me, that is a rare occurrence, indeed.)

I too am a bit bemused LaughingGravy about your toiletry requirements when down at the local. Is taking a dump when you are out for a beer really a common occurence?

I always enjoy my evenings at the Black Swan - nice quiet place, not too big, not too small - and good food. Gets my vote.

Midgets (from my perspective, that's about 95% of the population in Thailand) can be amused/bemused by things that don't cause them a problem. I'm in full agreement with LG, I'm a big guy (over 6'6") and can feel the squeeze in some pubs toilets, also have to watch my head as well. 'Average' people never get this problem.

I do agree that there is nothing else wrong with the mucky duck... just the toilets.

MNM

Midgets (from my perspective, that's about 95% of the population in Thailand) can be amused/bemused by things that don't cause them a problem. I'm in full agreement with LG, I'm a big guy (over 6'6") and can feel the squeeze in some pubs toilets, also have to watch my head as well. 'Average' people never get this problem.

I do agree that there is nothing else wrong with the mucky duck... just the toilets.

MNM

I wasn't bemused by people finding the cubicle small, i was bemused that people regularly have the need to take a dump whilst out for a few beers. All the business i conduct whilst out on the town is done standing at a urinal, unless i'm caught out with a dickie stomach!

Just to let people know that I took the suggestion of one or two posters and went to the Pickled Liver on Saturday. I have been on a few occasions but what really striked me, was the fact that each item was individually billed. So as I was sat with a few other people we all got our individual bills without any hassle. This makes things so much easier. secondly I have it on good authority that this practice will happen at Mollie Mallones. If indeed so, its commendable and seems that this pub certainly is looking at improving its practice and cares about it's customers. It also shows that they are listening. Excellent news, as I did mention that I like the place and wanted to continue to drink in there.

I also went to The Queen Victoria. Well I will just say that the place isn't "my cup of tea" but it was pleasant enough. So I hope the Robin Hood and O'Reillys follow suit and change their awful practice of ripping the customers off. Maybe they are not as 'free thinking" or radical enough to change their antiquated ways as Mollie Mallones. As was pointed out same owners and groups, so same ways of thinking.

To les Dennis. yes I am a lady, a real lady! Also there is nothing wrong with sitting down to go the toilet. Is there? I always prefer it than to go "local" and squat.

Edited by Laughing Gravy

You might be right about the pubs in the UK Lancashirelad but some town and city centres still boast 50 pubs/bars or more. Just try Liverpool and count them.

Many's the time over the last few years i've set out to count how many boarded up and/or burnt out (the Cunard?) pubs there are between exiting the Kingsway tunnel & Seaforth dock main gate.

I've never yet managed it as something always happens on the road, or the truck phone rings, or something distracts me, but i'm sure its in double figures & lots more on the lower dock road.

Agreed, its a difficult call for them. Whilst they should seek to keep regular customers happy & thereby retain them, on the other hand they can't risk a staff walk out.

Rather like being between a rock & hard place i guess.

However, there is no arguing, stealing from customers is wrong.

As for admitting the problem exists on the board. If you owned a haulage company that was doing well & keeping you in a well appointed manner, but some of your drivers were on the fiddle and you were aware of it, would you tell your customers?

I was very reluctant to write this, not because it doesn't deserve it. It certainly does. It is knowing that the thread will be bumped up again. But as a big believer of "praising when needed" then I feel this outweighs the negativity.

The pub I am taking about is Mollie Mallones. I went in there on the weekend to see if the policy/practice had changed. As I mentioned in the original thread, I like the place and was sad that I was unhappy about my favourite pub in Bangkok.

After hearing that the managers changed the practice, ensuring that bills were given after every drink (in a little container Thai style) I was curious to see. I am very pleased to say they have and the system seems to work wonderfully. I even introduced myself to the manager and I have to say what a "customer orientated person he seems" and genuiningly cares about the place and the clientelle.

So I would like to say thank you Mollie Mallones for listening and trying to improve there procedures. They have and it really shows that they care. I would like to see the other pubs mentioned follow suit. Whether they do that is another matter and I doubt it. But to all those who have had the "bill adding" at Mollie Mallones. This practice has stopped.

Certainly for me I am very happy as I can now resume drinking at my favourite place and has given me some faith back in the Western run businesses in Bangkok.

Well done.

I was very reluctant to write this, not because it doesn't deserve it. It certainly does. It is knowing that the thread will be bumped up again. But as a big believer of "praising when needed" then I feel this outweighs the negativity.

The pub I am taking about is Mollie Mallones. I went in there on the weekend to see if the policy/practice had changed. As I mentioned in the original thread, I like the place and was sad that I was unhappy about my favourite pub in Bangkok.

After hearing that the managers changed the practice, ensuring that bills were given after every drink (in a little container Thai style) I was curious to see. I am very pleased to say they have and the system seems to work wonderfully. I even introduced myself to the manager and I have to say what a "customer orientated person he seems" and genuiningly cares about the place and the clientelle.

So I would like to say thank you Mollie Mallones for listening and trying to improve there procedures. They have and it really shows that they care. I would like to see the other pubs mentioned follow suit. Whether they do that is another matter and I doubt it. But to all those who have had the "bill adding" at Mollie Mallones. This practice has stopped.

Certainly for me I am very happy as I can now resume drinking at my favourite place and has given me some faith back in the Western run businesses in Bangkok.

Well done.

the irish are very honest regarding business.....come on the irish :) keep up the good work