Question About Chanot

Hi, I bought a Condo last June 2007 and now this Condo is finished. As I know I must transfert money from my Bank to my account Bank in Bangkok so I will have the document from the Bank of Bangkok showing that the money came from abroad. I would ask those who bought a Condo in Thailand if when I will go in Land Office to have the Chanot I will need someone, if I will need a translator to verify that the details in Chanot will be corrected because I know that Chanot is written in Thai Language.

Did you go with someone in Land Office to complete the transfer of property when you purchased your Condominium or you did everything by yourself?

Is true that it is better that in Chanot my name and surname must also written in my language?

Thank u for any reply and thanks for all the advice you can give me and sorry for my bad English language.

:)

If you dont read thai and dont have very much experience with thai land deeds, you should bring someone you can trust, read and understand. The tax invoice is almost as important as the Chanote. Keep them both safe after recieving

The drawing on the Chanote is your condo. If the drawing is different from what you thought you bought, there is checking up to do. remember you parkingspace also.

Good luck

You should let the condo developer transfer for you to your name. This is very common practice in Thailand, though I know it sounds odd. Was looking for the thread I started on this some time ago, but simply could not find it. I transfered from developer to myself via this mechanism.

You will have a boring wait in the land office if you don’t and will not really understand what is going on.

The developer will require you to sign a, and I stress a, limited power of attorney.

This is how it works here in Thailand - odd but that is how it is.

If you dont read thai and dont have very much experience with thai land deeds, you should bring someone you can trust, read and understand. The tax invoice is almost as important as the Chanote. Keep them both safe after recieving

The drawing on the Chanote is your condo. If the drawing is different from what you thought you bought, there is checking up to do. remember you parkingspace also.

Good luck

I wasn't aware of car - parking space included with Chanot? Where is parking space agreed upon in writing if at all?

If you dont read thai and dont have very much experience with thai land deeds, you should bring someone you can trust, read and understand.

I can bring my Thai girlfriend, i trust about her, she can read and understand and translate for me but she doesn't have experience with thai land deeds. I also know a Thai Lawyer, maybe he can help me more. I don't understand if i need only a translator or someone who have experience about thai land deeds.

With whom you went to Land Office?

Thank you :)

Good luck

I wasn't aware of car - parking space included with Chanot? Where is parking space agreed upon in writing if at all?

On the drawing of the Chanote (just worked this out myself BTW). On my Chanote the drawing, the drawing to the right of the unit.

If you dont read thai and dont have very much experience with thai land deeds, you should bring someone you can trust, read and understand.

I can bring my Thai girlfriend, i trust about her, she can read and understand and translate for me but she doesn't have experience with thai land deeds. I also know a Thai Lawyer, maybe he can help me more. I don't understand if i need only a translator or someone who have experience about thai land deeds.

With whom you went to Land Office?

Thank you :)

I have been to land office with different people, like girlfriend, lawyer, thai friends (police) pending on what the deal has been.

2 importent issues for a condo

1. Make sure the drawing of the condo (and car park if agreed on) is correct on the frontpage of Chanote.

2. Make sure your name is the last name on the backside. If no name on the backside, make sure you find your name on the frontpage.

Could take half a day in landoffice

Thanks for all the answers and advices.

I have contacted the lawyer Thai that I know, he asked me 20,000 baht for this service. I think he is very expensive.

What do you think about this price?

A bit expensive I would say.

Basically it is just one days work.

Try to get him down or find another lawyer.

I used a farang lawyer and was way too expensive.

I have found an other lawyer, she asked me 9,000 baht for working on the date of transferring the ownership at the Land Department and 2,000 baht for translation the government documents. I think it is a reasonable price.

Thanks to everyone else will give me other advices about Condo and Chanot.

• 3 weeks later...

Car park won't be on the land title deed as it is deemed and shall be registered as common area, thus can't be separated, some Condo's though give a sole usage right for parking spaces to certain units.

You can go there yourself and just take someone with you who will translate the papers you sign. Normally you entered into an agreement with the Developer anyway that they have to deliver a certain unit to you, thus you could ask them to do the transaction by giving them a PoA, but if the payment is tied to the transfer you should either be there yourself or appoint an experienced person doing the transfer on your behalf, best someone you can make liable if anything goes wrong.

Car park won't be on the land title deed as it is deemed and shall be registered as common area, thus can't be separated, some Condo's though give a sole usage right for parking spaces to certain units.

It is interesting to see how diverse this is, all of the condo deeds for The Park include the car paking space(s) sometimes upto six. Though from what you say this appears to not always be the case in all developments.

Can anyone else confirm?

I have found an other lawyer, she asked me 9,000 baht for working on the date of transferring the ownership at the Land Department and 2,000 baht for translation the government documents. I think it is a reasonable price.

Thanks to everyone else will give me other advices about Condo and Chanot.

The lawyer who helped me last time at the land office wanted 2000 baht. Not so bad for a half day 'work'.

He's quite experienced too and never let me down in more than 10 yrs.

Of course if you pay x million for a condo, even 20.000 doesn't seem that much. Probably that's their reason to ask a bit more.

It is interesting to see how diverse this is, all of the condo deeds for The Park include the car paking space(s) sometimes upto six. Though from what you say this appears to not always be the case in all developments.

Can anyone else confirm?

Never seen this being the case, that parking has different title or is in a chanot to a specific unit, that can not work. The only way it would be possible is a non registered agreement between developer and Purchaser which at the end has to be agreed to by the Juristic Condo Manger. Parking is to be legally common property, thus no title deed shall be issued for such (is not a condo unit). Would be interesting to see the paperwork on the project ' The Park', where is it, do you have a html link?

Hi, I bought a Condo last June 2007 and now this Condo is finished. As I know I must transfert money from my Bank to my account Bank in Bangkok so I will have the document from the Bank of Bangkok showing that the money came from abroad. I would ask those who bought a Condo in Thailand if when I will go in Land Office to have the Chanot I will need someone, if I will need a translator to verify that the details in Chanot will be corrected because I know that Chanot is written in Thai Language.

Did you go with someone in Land Office to complete the transfer of property when you purchased your Condominium or you did everything by yourself?

Is true that it is better that in Chanot my name and surname must also written in my language?

Thank u for any reply and thanks for all the advice you can give me and sorry for my bad English language.

The developer should send someone to the land office to hand over the property to you. Of course, you may not trust this guy completely, so it's good that you bring a Thai translator along. Make sure that this person can translate well. For me, I just asked a friend to read out the documents to me. I can understand Thai.

The name on the documents must be in Thai. My name was "romanised" in Thai before it was entered into the document. The officers there said quite flatly that they cannot enter an English name. I doubt that has changed. However, the land office will keep a copy of your passport in its folder. You are also required to provide your parents' names. These will also be "romanised" in Thai and entered. With all these "safeguards", your identity should be quite unique unless you have an evil twin brother.

The lawyer who helped me last time at the land office wanted 2000 baht. Not so bad for a half day 'work'.

He's quite experienced too and never let me down in more than 10 yrs.

Of course if you pay x million for a condo, even 20.000 doesn't seem that much. Probably that's their reason to ask a bit more.

You don't need a lawyer. A professional translator is good enough.