Digital Camera Under B 10,000

slippery when wet

I wish too purchase a new digital camera but don't want it to cost the earth.

I guess that many forum users are owners of digital cameras.

What camera would you recommend if you were to purchase again. Would it be the camera you already own or would you but a different Brand/ model.

State reasons why.

Thanks.

Slippery...............................

I wish too purchase a new digital camera but don't want it to cost the earth.

I guess that many forum users are owners of digital cameras.

What camera would you recommend if you were to purchase again. Would it be the camera you already own or would you but a different Brand/ model.

State reasons why.

Thanks.

Slippery...............................

have a look here

www.steves-digicam.com

www.photoexels.com

www.tohome.com

Edited by roiet

It's been about a year since I did the requisite research to buy a digital camera but at the time everything pointed towards the excellence of Canon's Powershot series. Got a Canon Powershot A75 for my mother at the time and she just raves about it. Carries the thing everywhere like it was monitoring her health.

Pantipprice has a price of a little over your B10000 mark so you might look around a bit for a better price.

http://www.pantipprice.com/product.asp?sc_id=52

Edited by night_rider

Digicams in Thailand seem to be heavily price-controlled. Retail shops all seem to have the same price for every model. The only exception seems to be the gray-market import shops. If at all possible, buy in the US, since they're typically 20-50% cheaper there. If you want prices, check http://www.tohome.com

The A75 was replaced by the A85/A95. It's nice in that it has a lot of manual functions, takes cheap CF cards, takes nice pics, has lens adapters, and uses cheap AA batteries. The A400's are cheaper, but you're missing out on a lot.

From discussions I've had with "knowledgeable" camera pros, in the medium price range, it comes down to 3 makes - Sony, Canon or Olympic. (in that order).

Sony have apparently concentrated on "low-light" levels and it appears their products are superior in this area; Canon on size and Olympic on features.

In all cases, I've been told that, 4 megapixel and higher, the lens quality becomes the most important single factor in overall reproduction quality.

The best suggestion I can make is (as with most products), first determine what you plan to do with the new equipment (hobby or business), establish an affordable budget, then read as much as you can about the various available models. Next talk to owners and shops, asking as many questions as needed, to obtain a clear picture of what to expect from each make/model.

good luck :o

Wel, what do you want out of your photography experience? There are some really cheap chinese made cameras in Panthip - a few thousand baht - but the don't have a manual zoom. if you are just looking to tak som pics and don't worry about settings or anything liek that, you might consider something like that. If you want features to play with, though, you gotta spend a little more. I've got the Canon A75 - its great and easy to use. Well designed. You can use all of the features using 1 hand only, which is nice. Sony makes nice stuff but the controls make it a 2 handed camera. - oh, and keep in mind that the digital zoom is utterly worthless, unless it is a Canon, which has a program to clean up the digita zoom to make at almost utterly worthless. the manual zoom works quite well, though.

I would also follow the throng and say Canon.

The R&D they have done either as a joint venture with other technology companies or themselves has paid divedends.

For still Digital, I would recomend Canon.

For Video, I would say Sony has it over Canon.

Olympus also make nice gear, I have never used any of it.