Less Perks For Thailand Elite Card Holders

Thaising

<br />
<br />
as risky as the thailand elite card was, its sad to see so many farangs excited at the misfortunes of other farangs in thailand. there arent many options for long stay (over 3 years) for people who dont want to get married and arent close to retirement, if the program collapses it will be another door shut into thailand.
<br />you can stay in thailand as long as you want as long as you obey their laws and go get a real visa,shut that door on those spoiled toes please,thailand is awsome<br />
<br /><br />what legal option would you recommend?<br />
<br />go out and get a visa,or in c mai they have a place that will set you up with a biz visa after a trip to perth,it changes all the time of course since this is kali yuga but its easily doable with a bit of reseach,am i posting too often?per minute,great stuff here th vis .com<br />
<br /><br /><br />

setting up a shell company isnt easy or cheap, around 80,000 a year seems an average cost not including setup, and 500,000 baht capitalisation. even with the 80,000 a year in a little over 12 years its proved more expensive than the thai elite card. not to mention if you have a work permit it is for a registered address and company - and your shell company cannot be set up at a residential address so this "legal" option is even a little grey in places.

the thailand elite card is hardly a safe and reliable option either but its still worth considering for anyone with serious intentions of staying here more than a few years (there are lots of options for shorter term stay of course.).

pretty crazy in the press release about the more customers the more cost.. seems a crazy business model indeed with that attitude - considering the most valuable offering for all was the visa - which had the lowest cost to the company of all! i think they could make a lot of money from a long term visa option and all the marketing they would need would be a poster at all the immigration offices and on the website :).. make it recurring so they can never lost money and just up the fees with inflation etc.. :D

ah well, we are here so we should abide by their rules even if they do seem to be changing daily :D

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

For these people the failure of this card is going to be a lesson in the dangers of 'investing' in thailand and lets be honest a really cheap one compared to many other who had to learn the hard way.

Amen to that - USD300k for a Bangkok or beachfront Pattaya condo "in your own name" anybody? :)

This place is truly scary. It does not seem to matter, if history is any indication, whether you are lawfully wed to a person you love, set up a family residence, put your kids through school and university, help the extended family, break no laws, always report on time and professionally, and bring in millions of hard earned baht which get spent directly into the economy at all levels - from local village to the national, if the powers that be decide too bad for you, they seem to have no problem F&^$ing your life over if it suits a whim somewhere.

Do most agree?

It (TPC) was doomed to failure before it was even launched.

Created by a megalomaniac and subscribed to by people who had way more money (to waste) than any resemblance of common scence.

Initially launched with the expectation (dream) of attracting a million members and attaining less than 1,000.

Just like all the other pipe dream projects dreamed up by the then 'head waiter' the majority of which were dismal failures.

I am afraid that I have absolutely no sympathy whatsever for the people who fronted up with a million Baht and are now 'paying the piper'

"som mum naa"

seems a crazy business model indeed with that attitude

Like many senior thai executives, my guess is the guy is just dumb and wasn't really thinking through what he was saying.

Sometimes the words that come out of these "right charlies" I wonder if the translation was just messed up - but probably not.

Guide to business in Thailand :

1.Make a set of rules.

2.Market to people.

3.Charge a one-time fee.

4.Revoke priviledges.

5.Blame the customer.

6.Repeat.

So true...If the Elite card is gutted then the sovereign country of Thailand is perpetrating a 3 billion baht scam on the 3,000 innocent citizens of other nations. I was pitched this program by the Thai Consulate in HK with the clear intention and knowledge that I was buying the card for purpose of living in Thailand. I bought in based on this promise... that my immediate family (me, wife and children) could live in Thailand. I was assured that I could not be cheated as this was a Thai govt program...not a private company. Within 3 months of them getting my 1MM baht, they took away my wife and children's visas. Now they are gutting the rest of the program. This is completely unbelievable. I am not wealthy. It took us a long time to save the membership fee cost. Now the government tells me simply we changed our minds ??? Disgraceful, shameful if it comes to be. I am waiting to hear what happens.

TPC has also learned many cardholders are now living in Thailand, which is against the membership criteria and pushes up the operating costs.

Will the crazyness of the Thai high-ranked officials ever stop?

Did anyone of them past Pathom 3 in school?

I am afraid that I have absolutely no sympathy whatsever for the people who fronted up with a million Baht and are now 'paying the piper'

"som mum naa"

Do you share the same thoughts for some misguided tourist lured here by promises of a "great family destination" whose kid gets run over by some drunk motodope and lies dying in the street because there are no decent ambulances or other emergency services?

Or a distraught Father who can't meet the financial requirements to live here, and is unable to find any official path to PR to stay with his wife and child, even if he is ready, willing, and able to work hard in Thailand?

A con is a con is a con. Although it is admittedly easier on the conscious to ridicule the "perceived wealthy" as stupid.

Personally I feel sorry for anyone who is conned by any misguided form of the Thai dream, especially when the dream is officially sanctioned by the Thai government.

As pathetic as it was predicatable. The sad thing is that the scheme could have worked if the government made a few real concessions to members. But there was never any chance of that happening.

I do hope they will put screens round the Elite queue at the airport. It must be very embarrassing for the MUGs, sorry, Elite VIPs, to be seen by the more sensible passengers.

"This place is truly scary...Do most agree?"

No, we do not.

The majority of the costs incurred by the Thai Elite program are not related to the advertising, the leased autos, or the 5 year visas. Most of the costs are related to the golfing. As more of the members live in Thailand, they spend more time on the greens, and that's why the costs are increasing - it has nothing to do with the five-year visa.

"Members are granted five-year visas, which could not normally be bought even for Bt100 million or Bt200 million."

From this comment we can see a sample of the mindset behind the visa regulations.

I think you're exactly right. The arrogance and belief that Thailand is so wonderful and special that its worth millions of dollars to be able to come here for a few years.

Someone should point out that Thailand isn't the only 3rd world nation with awful traffic and pollution. Perhaps Cambodia could advertise that they're even more backward than Thailand and therefore a 5 year visa will cost BILLIONS of baht for the privilege of visiting and spending your money there.

LOL! I came back to Switzerland a couple of years ago. It is way more beautiful here. I had a guy recently here who also did the same and noticed it too. Once we have our Thai wives, can have Thai food anytime we want, Thailand quickly fades into oblivion. It is too hot there anyway.

So true...If the Elite card is gutted then the sovereign country of Thailand is perpetrating a 3 billion baht scam on the 3,000 innocent citizens of other nations. I was pitched this program by the Thai Consulate in HK with the clear intention and knowledge that I was buying the card for purpose of living in Thailand. I bought in based on this promise... that my immediate family (me, wife and children) could live in Thailand. I was assured that I could not be cheated as this was a Thai govt program...not a private company. Within 3 months of them getting my 1MM baht, they took away my wife and children's visas. Now they are gutting the rest of the program. This is completely unbelievable. I am not wealthy. It took us a long time to save the membership fee cost. Now the government tells me simply we changed our minds ??? Disgraceful, shameful if it comes to be. I am waiting to hear what happens.

I've heard many similar stories.

People like to laugh and scoff at the program, mainly I think because of the way it was marketed and the perceived "aloofness" of the customer base, though I believe most members was just your average Joe.

Ironically I think the program also attracted people with families and interests other than alcohol and prostitution (not that I have a personal problem with either, but, ostensibly, the Thai government does). In order words, exactly the types TAT and others want to attract.

You have my sympathies. So do those that bought multi-million baht condos or houses, or chose to make an emotional commitment to Thailand. The visa laws are harsh, forever changing, and not at all working as well as they should, in fact so many changes seem to have the opposite effect to that intended. Sad.

Ultimately, they will probably kill the Elite program using that tired old war-horse, the popularist stance of "visa abuse" - that seems to be the angle they are taking, anyway. Oh the irony :)

The majority of the costs incurred by the Thai Elite program are not related to the advertising, the leased autos, or the 5 year visas. Most of the costs are related to the golfing. As more of the members live in Thailand, they spend more time on the greens, and that's why the costs are increasing - it has nothing to do with the five-year visa.

Agree completely.

So abolish everything but the visa program.

Seems like a simple and inexpensive concession to members who parted with their hard earned.

Instead the clown in the article starts talking nonsense like "100 or 200 million baht for a thai visa"

Truly, this is insulting to even the meanest of intellects, and a sad indictment to the racist xenophobia of many in Thai officialdom.

Guide to business in Thailand :

1.Make a set of rules.

2.Market to people.

3.Charge a one-time fee.

4.Revoke priviledges.

5.Blame the customer.

6.Repeat.

let that be a lesson for every foreigner to invest in Thailand, even if its just to get some privilege.

Less Perks For Thailand Elite Card Holders

BANGKOK: - Thailand Privilege Card's board yesterday approved a sharp cut in expenditures that will affect Thailand Elite Card members' privileges.

Board chairman Thongchai Sridama, who is also deputy director-general of the Highways Department, said the cuts were necessary, because losses meant TPC's working capital could cover only this year's costs.

Initially, the annual budget will be cut from Bt541 million to Bt210 million. This will require the board to terminate the Bt77-million management and information-technology service contract signed last year by the board when it was chaired by Sorajak Kasemsuwan, as well as a Bt20-million contract leasing Toyota Alphards for executives.

The board will also slash its annual spending by at least Bt23 million, leaving the organisation Bt190 million per annum.

TPC has reduced the number of golf courses where members can use services for free from 46 to 20 and the number of available spas from 91. Limousine service for members will also be provided in Toyota Camrys rather than BMW 7 Series.

Thongchai said the board was studying further ways to cut costs, including negotiating with Thai Airways International to reduce its lounge-service fee and possibly reducing available hospitals for members and available frequencies for golf course and spas for affiliated members.

TPC has also learned many cardholders are now living in Thailand, which is against the membership criteria and pushes up the operating costs.

"We need to control all of our costs, as well as the number of new members. The more members we have, the higher our costs. Members are granted five-year visas, which could not normally be bought even for Bt100 million or Bt200 million. There have been many loopholes benefiting private partners. Without these cost cuts this year, TPC's extinction would be definite even without a Cabinet resolution to shut it down," he said.

Within the next two months, the new board will present proposals for operating TPC to the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) and Tourism and Sports Minister Chumpol Silapa-archa.

One is to maintain members' benefits but transfer TPC employees to another agency, probably the TAT.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-06-04

Pathetic statement.Bt100 million - B200million for a 5 year visa. A 5 year retirement visa costs me only Bt1900 a year and a short 20-25 minutes to my friendly immigration office. If I used an agent instead of me going personally the 5 year visa will cost about Bt40K. I gather that the people holding the 5 year visas have to report every 90 days too Also anyone with good connections in Thailand could get the same privileges as Elite Card holders such as the discounts they offer. The only people that really benefit from the card are the highly paid executives who run the company

Even

LOL! I came back to Switzerland a couple of years ago. It is way more beautiful here. I had a guy recently here who also did the same and noticed it too. Once we have our Thai wives, can have Thai food anytime we want, Thailand quickly fades into oblivion. It is too hot there anyway.

Until your wife want to go home in about 3 years. Well, maybe then you would like to live in Thailand again. I have yet to meet a Thai woman with a housewife career path that does not want to go back to Thailand after a couple of years.

[...]

Just like all the other pipe dream projects dreamed up by the then 'head waiter' the majority of which were dismal failures.

Failure? Didn't you see the numbers? It was an amazing success, only shutting down now after the unfortunate change of government. Hundreds of millions of Baht have been drained from public coffers to private bank accounts! The fewer actual customers the better - only 1000 members, only 1000 complainants when the scheme finally collapses.

People ridicule the powers in Thailand for being idiots. Once you stop accepting the face saving facade and realize all the schemes have the same goal - enriching the powerful and maintaining power - you realize that the Thai leaders are not idiots, but geniuses. Just don't go too far like Taksin. The airport was an amazing success, the new train line is already a success and has not even opened yet. Name your haha TIT folly and if you ask around you will find people in power who benefited from it being built and others who benefit from having it fail. If you want a project to succeed, it needs to continue raking in the cash after it is completed and you have to make it worth while to the competing concession holders so it doesn't get torpedoed.

[...]

Failure? Didn't you see the numbers? It was an amazing success, only shutting down now after the unfortunate change of government. Hundreds of millions of Baht have been drained from public coffers to private bank accounts! The fewer actual customers the better - only 1000 members, only 1000 complainants when the scheme finally collapses.

People ridicule the powers in Thailand for being idiots. Once you stop accepting the face saving facade and realize all the schemes have the same goal - enriching the powerful and maintaining power - you realize that the Thai leaders are not idiots, but geniuses. Just don't go too far like Taksin. The airport was an amazing success, the new train line is already a success and has not even opened yet. Name your haha TIT folly and if you ask around you will find people in power who benefited from it being built and others who benefit from having it fail. If you want a project to succeed, it needs to continue raking in the cash after it is completed and you have to make it worth while to the competing concession holders so it doesn't get torpedoed.

There are 2765 members

[...]

There are 2765 members

How many specifically received their Card for Free?

So many of them were given away for free during their numerous publicity stunts over the years.

Initially, the annual budget will be cut from Bt541 million to Bt210 million.

This will require the board to terminate the Bt20-million contract leasing Toyota Alphards for executives.

1) thus they missed their yearly target of enrolling 361 farangs for their scam (1.5 million x361 exceeds the 541 million budget)?

2) Bt620 milion leased Toyota Alphards cars for executives??? Do I understand Elite card executives, Not Elite card customers???

Initially, the annual budget will be cut from Bt541 million to Bt210 million.

This will require the board to terminate the Bt20-million contract leasing Toyota Alphards for executives.

1) thus they missed their yearly target of enrolling 361 farangs for their scam (1.5 million x361 exceeds the 541 million budget)?

2) Bt620 milion leased Toyota Alphards cars for executives??? Do I understand Elite card executives, Not Elite card customers???

not 620... it was only 20 Million Baht (or 13 and 1/3 farang) for leasing the cars for the executives of the Card company to drive to the golf courses without Card members with them for when they wanted to golf for free.

Edited by sriracha john

for leasing the cars for the executives of the Card company to drive to the golf courses.

Not to mention numerous wonderful offsites for said "executives" and program agents.

I know because they used to hold "briefing" activities on the the same floor in the Central World offices where I used to work.

Crass.