What Would Be A Fair Daily Wage For A Labourer

wackysleet

The going rate for the Thai Yai's who hang around near Kamtieng every morning looking for day work is 200 Bt with ID, 150 without. ... snip ...

Sawasdee Khrup,, Khun Paagai,

I have thought of hiring some of those guys who hang out at Kam Tian (the market next to Lotus Tesco on the Superhighway, I assume you mean) to do garden work and such, but the security concerns raised here by Khun Wackysleet and others are also on my mind.

I have a lot of valuable things in the house (including valuable art objects), live alone right now. People, being naturally curious, are liable to look in through the windows, even if they are not invited into the house, even if they are given access to an "outside" toilet, and supplied with cold water and/or food. I am not exactly in the type of moo baan siuation described eloquently by Monsieur Hulot and also don't want my neighbors knowing exactly what I have. Over the years I have been here I have succeeded in being accepted in the neighborhood, and being perceived as friendly and helpful, but with a certain distance that I feel protects my privacy.

~o:37;

I think one would be ill advised to take one of these guys off the street to your home, especially one with no ID. Just inviting trouble.

I posted the rates for information/comparison. Its one thing a construction company hiring these guys to pour concrete on a site when there are foreman, security guards etc, observing. Another thing entirely to take one to your home alone. I've heard stories of people running into trouble with light fingered Tai Yai labours before........

Thieves and robbers are not the day laborers that stand around at the market looking for an honest days work. They are too lazy for that and are up for the easy score, ripping off motorbikes or breaking into homes in the moo bans.

Most do not have Ids to copy and are here working illegally from Burma. But caution would always be advisable.

I had a Labourer come and work for me the other week, agreed rate was 200 baht per day & after watching him work I could see that he was well overpaid, what a monkeys arse! :D

Anyway, it took 5 days to do 2 days work & after listening to this guy for 5 days, I was glad to pay him 1,000 baht to get rid of him, actually, I would of payed 10,000 baht just to avoid him :)

Labour in Thailand is like 'advice' here on thai visa, its everywhere but good stuff can be hard to come by. :D

Edited by neverdie

The Thai guys who live oppersite me work for the local water board ,, digging holes all day .

They get paid 250 baht a day and the wifes and G/Fs get 200 baht

colino

so, colino, the shielas, the G/F's, are they digging holes too? :)

The going rate for the Thai Yai's who hang around near Kamtieng every morning looking for day work is 200 Bt with ID, 150 without. ... snip ...

Sawasdee Khrup,, Khun Paagai,

I have thought of hiring some of those guys who hang out at Kam Tian (the market next to Lotus Tesco on the Superhighway, I assume you mean) to do garden work and such, but the security concerns raised here by Khun Wackysleet and others are also on my mind.

I have a lot of valuable things in the house (including valuable art objects), live alone right now. People, being naturally curious, are liable to look in through the windows, even if they are not invited into the house, even if they are given access to an "outside" toilet, and supplied with cold water and/or food. I am not exactly in the type of moo baan siuation described eloquently by Monsieur Hulot and also don't want my neighbors knowing exactly what I have. Over the years I have been here I have succeeded in being accepted in the neighborhood, and being perceived as friendly and helpful, but with a certain distance that I feel protects my privacy.

~o:37;

This is the reason I moved to LOS.In Thailand I never had the experience people would like to look in my house etc. also the workers.

A few years ago I made a mistake. Several plants in my garden were destroyed. I thought it were the Burmese who worked around my house and told my neighbor. That evening all the Burmese stood in line in front of my house, just looking at me. Any idea how I felt??

If you want complete privacy.. go live in some desert

Edited by cmjantje

My experience in Thailand has shown me that the women work harder than men at just about everything. :)

You know Ian, when I had my pond dug out there were men and woman with the women doing the digging and the men emptying those little black scoop things they use onto the pile of spoil, so I certainly agree in that instance.

When I had my condo remodeled, all the demolition work was done by women. This included knocking down 2 concrete and brick walls and removing large sections of my balconies (Concrete and rebar).

My experience in Thailand has shown me that the women work harder than men at just about everything. :)

You know Ian, when I had my pond dug out there were men and woman with the women doing the digging and the men emptying those little black scoop things they use onto the pile of spoil, so I certainly agree in that instance.

Any ideas on what one should pay for a daily labouring job, I have a lot of holes that need digging to put re-inforced concrete posts in to protect my river bank.

We never have any problem getting labour in our village for 200 baht a day.We have found them to be good steady workers.

When we fenced our property using re-inforced concrete posts the bloke who dug the holes and put the posts in charged us at the rate of 6 baht per post which i thought was ok and probably saved me from having a heart attack if i had to do it myself.

Sounds like the bigger issue is actually FINDING labourers who can commit to doing the work for you, work properly and show up every day. If this ends up costing 200 or 250 baht a day I think is the lesser issue?

Never a truer word spoken Winnie The Kwai ! I could not agree more :) A fine and valid opinion. Best advice possible ! In Thailand some people (not all of course) worry so much about not paying too much, want cheapest posisble rates and forget the bigger picture. Seen it so many times over twenty years. People go for the cheapest route and lowest prices; only to then either be subjected to awful quality, bad workmanship, liars, unreliable people and inexperienced people. If it costs you a few baht more for someone relaible and trustworthy.....pay it ! Its worth every baht.

Wise words Winnie !

Edited by Gold2005

Never a truer word spoken Winnie The Kwai ! I could not agree more :) A fine and valid opinion. Best advice possible ! In Thailand some people (not all of course) worry so much about not paying too much, want cheapest posisble rates and forget the bigger picture. Seen it so many times over twenty years. People go for the cheapest route and lowest prices; only to then either be subjected to awful quality, bad workmanship, liars, unreliable people and inexperienced people. If it costs you a few baht more for someone relaible and trustworthy.....pay it ! Its worth every baht.

Wise words Winnie !

Actually I've lived here for 20yrs plus most of the time in Bangkok, I have had work done for a price and payed day rates, and as far as the reliabilty and workmanship was concerned, I was not exactly impressed and if you read a previous post of mine in answer to Winnie then you will see that I'm more than willing to pay the proper rate, and with a good job a decent bonus.

I asked for ideas on rates simply to get an idea but will ask the thai neighbours if they can recommend someone now that I have a basis to work on.