What Visas For My Family?

I'm planning on moving to Thailand from the UK with my family. I'm currently in Australia with my children and my wife will join me in from the UK in Thailand. We are all British citizens.

I'll be working, either as an independent freelancer or with a registered Thai company. So I presume I would need the usual business visa and work permit.

1. If I work as an independent (providing corporate training, writing articles, etc.) then is there a different type of work permit I could apply for - as I won't necessarily be setting up a local company or be employed? Would I need a work permit? I do have a company registered in the UK. So the idea would be either to invoice companies as a freelancer or via my UK company. (I assume that they will therefore simply deduct a 'witholding tax'.)

2. If I'm employed, but don't receive a salary (the idea is to share the revenue I generate) then do I simply need a standard work permit - or do I also need to demonstrate some kind of ability to cover my living expenses?

What about my wife and children? As we intend to live here for 2-3 years, what kind of visas will they require, assuming my wife doesn't work? And are there such things as 'family' visas or 'child'/'student' visas?

Even the Thai consulate visa section doesn't seem to be able to tell me what we need!

Can anyone advise please?

Many thanks,

Gary

No matter what you do ...either working or doing charity Volutary work as a foreighner you will still need a work permit that is the Regulation in Thailand Law.

The best is to set ur a company Limited you as a Managing Director...And you could sponsor your family....There are alot of regulation in Thailand....Use the search section you could find alot of valuable hint and tips...

Or you could contact Sunbelt Asia or Indo Siam for this matter....

Your plans do not seem to qualify for any type of visa for you; much less for family members. Any importation of household items would require even more. Would also advise you to talk with sponsors here. Can understand why the Consulate could not be of much help.

Edited by lopburi3

You will need employment by a Thai company, or to set up your own company with

2M baht registered capital, to justify a Non Immigrant B work visa and to

support your application for a work permit.

Once that is set up your family can join you on Non Imm O visas.

The Non Imm B visa will also alow you to import your personal possesions free of tax.

You really should contact Sunbelt or Indo-Siam to get more detailed assistance

before embarking on this venture.