Actor David Carradine Dead in Bangkok

medegen

• Replies 555
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Could this be a drug war killing? Carradine was a user, the chambermaids at the Nai Lert do have large feet, and nobody knows the whereabouts of Thaksin Shinawatra.

Muckracking again! :)

Bad Journalist!

15 demerits, and clean the chaulk board for a week. :D

Edited by animatic

More clever than that liberal claptrap by Greg Barret on the Huffington Post. :)

Actually I would have labelled that moralising point of view 'conservative.'

I get what you are saying, but, the Huffington Post is not known for its conservative views. :D

More clever than that liberal claptrap by Greg Barret on the Huffington Post. :)

Just out of curiosity, what in the article do you disagree with so vehemently to call it "claptrap". I for one agreed with a lot that he wrote and the views of Father Joe as well. The only thing that might be questionable is the ease to which Barret seems to think change can happen.

Actually I would have labelled that moralising point of view 'conservative.'

I get what you are saying, but, the Huffington Post is not known for its conservative views. :D

The Huffington Post clearly is a conservative mouthpiece as evidenced by its bias towards a Obama presidency. Obama has cheerled a vigorous continuation and escalation of a failed war in the Middle East and sheparded the largest government handout to the wealthy corporate robber barons in the history of the US. Shame on the Huffington Post for not supporting Ron Paul and shame on Obama for conducting Bush's third term with expediency.

Edited by jumnien

From poor David dying, we come to a critique of President Obama. This reminds me of the game we used to play as children when you'd whisper something into someone's ear, and they would do the same until it went around the circle, and the last person would say whatever came to them.

You're saying President Obama is a conservative?

A man who only reads newspapers is less informed than someone who reads nothing.

From poor David dying, we come to a critique of President Obama. This reminds me of the game we used to play as children when you'd whisper something into someone's ear, and they would do the same until it went around the circle, and the last person would say whatever came to them.

You're saying President Obama is a conservative?

A man who only reads newspapers is less informed than someone who reads nothing.

Liberal, conservative, they are just words. I'm just saying that the first two Bush terms were cloaked in Cheney and the third Bush term is cloaked in Obama. Brilliant really! If Bush had worn the same clothes for his third term and escalated a failed war in the Middle East and given trillions of dollars to his rich buddies the populace would have revolted. Instead, by wearing Obama, he has the populace actually believing that change has come to Washington. How could such a stupid man do such a brilliant thing - handlers, my friend.

As for the Carradine case, did they find the other shoelace?

Just out of curiosity, what in the article do you disagree with so vehemently to call it "claptrap". I for one agreed with a lot that he wrote and the views of Father Joe as well. The only thing that might be questionable is the ease to which Barret seems to think change can happen.

A sincere article that deserves a separate thread I think, Mods..... and speaking as an lapsed CofE buddhist/atheist I recommend Father Joe for sainthood before he expires. The catholic church would do well to have such a man as Pope. Tho it's a role he'd never countenance!

These media people keep spinning the illusion that Thailand's sex industry is based on tourists, when in reality, that is only a tiny part of an industry which is much less abusive than the gigantic one that caters to Thai men.

Every city, town and village in Thailand has brothels for local men and they are far more likely to have underage sex workers who are slaves whose parents owe money to criminals. Who is reporting on that?

The tourist venues have almost none of this. The women are mostly of legal age and free, they come and go at will and often make quite a bit of money.

Most of the media and NGOs could care less about brutalized women or even children as long as they are abused by Asian men. It is well known that Asians are not normally targeted by police for having sex with underage girls. In fact, most locals consider it "normal".

The real focus of these different groups is puritanical; they want to prevent Westerners from coming here for affordable sex and use and sensationalize all of these other issues in order to obtain their goals.

Maybe the media, some religious people and feminist types consider that laudable, but it is really sad that they are willing to just ignore the suffering of the girls in the huge sex industry for Thai men in order to get rid of a few farangs who are too old to get a woman in their own country.

Edited by Ulysses G.

"How could such a stupid man do such a brilliant thing - handlers, my friend." or everybody else is stupider than him.

I don't think it's right that you call the President stupid. It's disrespectful.

Misconception is the word of the day.

Edited by Shotime

captbc26dab198c74472a95bfa4d0df003d.jpg

Guests arrive to the funeral of David Carradine in Los Angeles.

AP

Stars pay tribute to Kung <deleted> actor Carradine

Hundreds gathered to pay tribute to Kung <deleted> actor David Carradine at a sprawling Los Angeles hillside cemetery in a funeral attended by family, former co-stars and other Hollywood friends.

The invitation-only services were held indoors at the Hall of Liberty at Forest Lawn-Hollywood Hills, a 400-acre cemetery next to Griffith Park.

Guests gathered and hugged outside the hall, where security ensured only invited guests gained entry.

They gathered more than a week after Carradine, 72, was found hanging in a hotel room in Bangkok, Thailand, on June 4, after what was believed to have been a sex game that went tragically wrong.

Carradine's family stayed out of sight from a small group of reporters and cameras and the burial was private.

His brothers Keith and Robert Carradine asked for privacy and understanding while the family mourned.

Keith Carradine briefly appeared outside before the service and greeted some people before heading back inside.

Among the guests were numerous actors, including Michael Madsen, Jane Seymour, Tom Selleck, Frances Fisher, Daryl Hannah, Lucy Liu, Edward James Olmos, Ali Larter, and James Cromwell. Rob Schneider also attended, carrying a basket of flowers.

Madsen and Liu both starred alongside Carradine in Quentin Tarantino's two-part Kill Bill saga. Carradine married his fifth wife, Annie Bierman, at Madsen's home in 2004.

Carradine is perhaps best known for his role as Kwai Chang Caine on three seasons of the 1970s hit show Kung <deleted>. His role in popular culture was cemented by the time he left the show after three seasons in 1975.

He later went on to star in the cult flick Death Race 2000 and in Ingmar Bergman's The Serpent's Egg in 1977, but by the 1980s his career arc had moved to lower-budget fare.

He continued to foster interests in Asian herbs, exercise and philosophy and made instructional videos on tai chi and other martial arts.

Tarantino's Kill Bill films offered Carradine a career resurgence. His role as the titular character earned Carradine a Golden Globe nomination for best supporting actor for his role in Kill Bill - Vol 2.

Carradine's father John, was a character actor whose 50-year stage and screen career began during Hollywood's early years.

Programmes handed out to guests included a photo of a smiling Carradine in a tuxedo on the cover and sketch of the actor on the back, above lyrics to Midnight Rider by The Allman Brothers Band.

The programme indicated several remembrances by Carradine's family and song selections that included The Beatles' Let It Be and Beethoven's Requiem For A Fallen Hero.

- Associated Press / 2009-06-14

293.carradine.david.lr.060809.jpgCeleb Pals Pay Final Respects to David Carradine

Sat., Jun. 13, 2009 10:20 PM PDT by BRANDI FOWLER

In the midst of the tumultuous investigation surrounding his death, David Carradine has been laid to rest in Los Angeles.

Private funeral services took place Saturday afternoon for the Kill Bill star, with more than 400 mourners turning out at the Forest Lawn cemetery to pay their respects.

Several celebrity friends attended the memorial service, including Kill Bill costars Lucy Liu, Daryl Hannah and Michael Madsen, as well as Tom Selleck, Jane Seymour, Edward James Olmos, Ali Larter, Frances Fisher, James Cromwell and Rob Schneider, who arrived clutching an ornate flower arrangement.

Some mourners wore Western garb in honor of Carradine's Kung <deleted> legacy—brother Keith Carradine, sporting a bolo-tie, briefly greeted attendees outside before the service.

The body of the 72-year-old David Carradine was found June 4, hanging naked in a hotel room in Bangkok. Despite initial speculation that Carradine's death was a suicide, the Carradine family's forensics expert, Michael Baden, announced Thursday that the actor did not take his own life.

"The autopsy findings and the evidence thus far available demonstrate that Mr. Carradine's death was not the result of suicide," Baden said in a video statement. Baden did not address the theory that the actor may have died while performing autoerotic asphyxiation.

The family of the late actor has asked for privacy as they continue to grieve.

Thai officials, with aid from U.S. experts, are continuing to investigate Carradine's death.

Edited by chen168

A sincere article that deserves a separate thread I think, Mods..... and speaking as an lapsed CofE buddhist/atheist I recommend Father Joe for sainthood before he expires. The catholic church would do well to have such a man as Pope. Tho it's a role he'd never countenance!

Yes, a separate thread regarding this article may be a good idea as it really is irrelevant to Carradine's unfortunate demise.

These media people keep spinning the illusion that Thailand's sex industry is based on tourists, when in reality, that is only a tiny part of an industry which is much less abusive than the gigantic one that caters to Thai men.

Every city, town and village in Thailand has brothels for local men and they are far more likely to have underage sex workers who are slaves whose parents owe money to criminals. Who is reporting on that?

The tourist venues have almost none of this. The women are mostly of legal age and free, they come and go at will and often make quite a bit of money.

Most of the media and NGOs could care less about brutalized women or even children as long as they are abused by Asian men. It is well known that Asians are not normally targeted by police for having sex with underage girls. In fact, most locals consider it "normal".

The real focus of these different groups is puritanical; they want to prevent Westerners from coming here for affordable sex and use and sensationalize all of these other issues in order to obtain their goals.

Maybe the media, some religious people and feminist types consider that laudable, but it is really sad that they are willing to just ignore the suffering of the girls in the huge sex industry for Thai men in order to get rid of a few farangs who are too old to get a woman in their own country.

I reread the article and there definitely is mention of the fact that the tourist aspect of the problem is a fraction of the domestic problem... but it is all the same problem. I will drop it here but once again would like the pertinent posts to be split off into another thread.

there definitely is mention of the fact that the tourist aspect of the problem is a fraction of the domestic problem

Sure, there is always a "mention", but very little real investigative journalism concentrating on the much bigger and much more horrific story. That is the whole point. :)

there definitely is mention of the fact that the tourist aspect of the problem is a fraction of the domestic problem

Sure, there is always a "mention", but very little real investigative journalism concentrating on the much bigger and much more horrific story. That is the whole point. :)

Good point.

Can I use it?

Edited by Shotime

David Carradine's Funeral

david-carradine-funeral-b.0.0.0x0.290x397.jpeg

15 June 2009 9:54 AM, PDT | From TheInsider.com | See recent The Insider news

"The Insider" has video of Tom Selleck, Michael Madsen, Lucy Liu, Jane Seymour and other celebs as they joined hundreds of other mourners at David Carradine's funeral service in Los Angeles. The scene was somber on Saturday as the mourners gathered at Forest Lawn cemetery to pay their respects to the 72-year-old "Kung <deleted>" actor, who died earlier this month in Bangkok, Thailand. Also spotted at the service were Edward James Olmos, Ali Larter, Fances Fisher, James Cromwell and Rob Schneider, who arrived carrying a bouquet of flowers. Speaking of the service, David's brother Bruce told People.com: "It was touching, but light-hearted. There weren't a lot of tears, but there was a lot of laughter." The investigation into David Carradine's mysterious death in a Bangkok hotel room continues in Thailand.

Edited by chen168

Good point.

Can I use it?

Of course. :D

Good point.

Can I use it?

Of course. :D

To be honest, I think you missed the point. I'm not denying that what you are stating actually happens... it does, and the reporting is often as you suggest. However, the article in question speaks about the industry as a whole and the effect it has on Thailand. There is mention of the tourist influence on the industry but it is a passing mention just like the passing mention of the domestic industry.

Regardless, once again not on the topic of the thread... and I said I wouldn't post on this tangent again, but I did.

I did not miss the point, but I think that the mass media miss the point by concentrating on such a tiny and relatively benign piece of the Thai sex industry and blowing it way out of proportion. They give readers the sense that Western men are somehow "better" than Asian men whose far more damaging activities are pretty much ignored.

Edited by Ulysses G.

To Mr Carradine's family who may possibly find this meagre post mixed in with 21 pages of mostly navel-gazers comments seeking an opportunity to raise themselves above David's accomplishments, on behalf of Thailand and this mainly self-fulfilling narcissistic forum, please accept sincere eternal apologies and may David finally rest in peace.

R.I.P. David :)

(edit: 21 pages, not 26 - small point)

Edited by baht&sold

I am a fan, but when you die like that, you are going to be an object of humor for all eternity - whether anyone likes it, or not.

I have a feeling that David would have been OK with that. :)

Ok i found it somewhat funny. May be david would have as well but what about his family who may or may not be reading all this?

Also it was his business and his alone to engage in something like that, What gives us the right to ridicule him? There is may be many on here who engage in something out of the ordinary. To coin a phrase let him without sin cast the first stone.

You are certainly right on some levels, but it does not matter. People will be laughing at the way he died for many years. There is just no way to prevent it.

IMHO, it is better just to go ahead and enjoy the humor, but also, always remember that he was a lot more than that. :)

You are certainly right on some levels, but it does not matter. People will be laughing at the way he died for many years. There is just no way to prevent it.

IMHO, it is better just to go ahead and enjoy the humor, but also, always remember that he was a lot more than that. :)

Thanks for that reply, It was polite to say the least which was expected from someone that has made as many posts as you have.

i'm sure i'll get a few more replies not so polite lol

Edited by cyborg22

Oh please ! Journalists are not public servants here to provide news and investigation for people who prefer not to pay for it.

If you go to a commissioning editor of a western publication with two stories

1) Western sexpats beering and whoring in paradise.

2) The sociological dimension of the sex trade catering to lower class indigenous peasantry.

He'll likely buy the first one. So thats the one that gets written, the other one gets left. It may not be fair, but its just business.

Actors live by their public and the fact that they are " known".

That doesn't stop when the actor dies.

You cannot have it both ways, and neither can the family.

And to the one who apologised on behalf of TV, I want my part back. I will do my own apologising if I think it is necessary.

edit typo

Edited by Carib