17 Killed, 30 Injured In Bus Accident In Krabi

churchill

Sad very sad.

I made a bus trip to Mai Sai last week. Across the isle sat two cute Thai ladies. They giggled at me as I put

on my seat belt. I just smiled. I looked around and NO one had a seat belt on.

I know seat belts are not going to save everyone but I wonder how many had their belt on during this deadly crash and how many it MIGHT have saved if they would have been buckled up?

I totally concur dude. Seat belts should be enforced.

What are you talking about? I've never seen a bus or coach with seatbelts in Thailand!

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 killed, 30 injured in bus accident in Krabi

Police said the drive of the bus, which overturned, might doze off, causing the accident.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 05/06/09

When is public safety & health ever going to become a national priority here?

Average of 25 people per day die in traffic accidents in Thailand.

KRABI: -- A chartered bus taking officials of the Samut Prakan Provincial Administrative Organization for field trips overturned here Friday morning, killing 17 and injuring 30 passengers.

The accident occurred at 6:30 am on the Phanom-Khao Tor Road in Ban Bang Hoi village in Tambon Khao Tor of Krabi's Prayphaya district.

Twelve passengers of the bus died at the scene and five more died at hospitals.

Thirty other passengers were injured and rushed to the Krabin and district hospitals nearby.

About 400 officials were travelling in 12 buses. They left Samut Prakan Thursday evening.

Police said the drive of the bus, which overturned, might doze off, causing the accident.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 05/06/09

Whilst the accident is tragic, falling asleep is just one of many potentail scenarios for this accident. I can think of many others such as wreckless driving which I personally feel is a more realistic reason as I have seen numerous buses / coaches driving very fast and very dangerously.

I once had to get off a Bangkok bus after just one stop due to the totally wreckless way it was being driven. It was like the driver was drunk AND possessed.

My sympathies to the families of the deceased but let's put falling asleep at the bottom of the list of possibilities and add "crazy, M150'd up to the hilt wreckless driving" at the top.

I wonder where they traveling in convoy, If so this tragic accident could have been on a larger scale, My thoughts go out to all concerned.

No mention of the drivers injuries!

Drivers injuries ? If past records mean anything. He is probably still running !

Was once in on of those van things doing going from bkk up to nakhon sawan. Kinda dozed off and when I woke the driver had to be doing about 85 or 90mps sweving in around every one...at night? I asked him to slow down through my wife and he ignored me, i asked again and my wife said he basically told me to fudge off. That did it. I pulled out my flip knife i had since my army days went up to him, put the tip of the blade at his adam's apple and told him to slow down. He did, all the other ties actually smiled seemed releived. Grabbed a card with company's number on that laid in the seat pockets and had my wife called them. She basically translated what I told her that I would gladly kill the bugger and drive the van myslef. The company called him on his cell and after about ten minutes apologized quickly and kept driving. I don't care if you live or die but when you are put in charge of the lives of other people and you act like that then you are better off doing something else.

I wonder where they traveling in convoy, If so this tragic accident could have been on a larger scale, My thoughts go out to all concerned.

No mention of the drivers injuries!

Drivers injuries ? If past records mean anything. He is probably still running !

Was once in on of those van things doing going from bkk up to nakhon sawan. Kinda dozed off and when I woke the driver had to be doing about 85 or 90mps sweving in around every one...at night? I asked him to slow down through my wife and he ignored me, i asked again and my wife said he basically told me to fudge off. That did it. I pulled out my flip knife i had since my army days went up to him, put the tip of the blade at his adam's apple and told him to slow down. He did, all the other ties actually smiled seemed releived. Grabbed a card with company's number on that laid in the seat pockets and had my wife called them. She basically translated what I told her that I would gladly kill the bugger and drive the van myslef. The company called him on his cell and after about ten minutes apologized quickly and kept driving. I don't care if you live or die but when you are put in charge of the lives of other people and you act like that then you are better off doing something else.

Oh yes, no seatbelts in the van of course. After that, we never rode in one again or will we. After that, we bought our car and that turned into another story...needless to say, when we are in Thailand, my wife's uncle is the driver of our car and I have to sit there in the passenger seat.

Whilst I'm sure the family's of the dead are grieving and upset, I wonder if they will be questioning the driving and the safety of the whole enterprise, as we are? Since Thais seem to have no concept of safety or the difference between a safe and a dangerous act, I wonder if it will even occur to them that the episode could have been avoided.

These people were government officials right, if they haven't got the sense to have the drivers slow down and drive safely then what hope is there? Will the surviving government officials have learnt anything from this, or will they board the next speeding bus to their next field trip? My condolences don't go out to them at all.

item---4-- on VDO at http://thainews.prd.go.th/newsenglish/prev...hp?news_id=1156

or

The injured, from the bus accident in Krabi that claimed 17 lives last Friday morning, are being treated at local hospitals.

29 people were injured and treated at hospitals in Krabi, Phuket and Surat Thani after a bus accident at Plai Phraya district in Krabi early on Friday morning. The bus, among 12 in a convoy, was carrying passengers comprising officials and health volunteers from the central province of Samut Prakarn heading for field trips in Phang-Nga and Phuket, but it reportedly lost control and crashed into trees and overturned on the road side in Khao Tor, Plai Phraya district. The trip was hosted by Samut Prakarn Provincial Administration Organization. There were 48 passengers and only two escaped unscathed by the accident. The death toll was reported at 17 with 29 injured. On Saturday the Director–General of Health Service Support Department Dr. Somyos Deerassamee paid a visit to patients who are being treated at Plai Phraya Hospital and told hospital staff to take good care of the health volunteers. Bodies of victims have been sent back home. One of the survivors, Mrs. Boonnark Yodnil told reporters that at the time of the accident, like many others, she was asleep. She said she woke up again lying on the road and got rescued. She regretted the tragic accident. The Director General of the Health Service Department praised local health volunteers who were helpful and looked after their fellows very well in a time of stress.

Andaman News NBT TV (VHF dial) at 8.30am & perhaps repeats on Phuket Cable TV channel 1 at 3.30pm, 7pm, 1.30am & 6.30am, broadcast to Phang Nga, Krabi & Phuket provinces & maybe Mazz Radio FM108 at 7pm in Phuket, Monday June 8th 2009 & http://thainews.prd.go.th/newsenglish/ & www.YouTube.com/AndamanNews

Now that a large number of people have died, maybe the authorities will look into the design of coaches and buses that is permitted in Thailand

Sure they will - in your dreams.

Death such as this are not accidents or the result of poor design but one of incompetance on the part of the company and the drivers. Sort out the initial problem of drivers and company expectations first and then good design will go a long way in helping to save lives in the case of a "real" accident.

Has anyone seen a photo of an overturned coach ? The roof always caves in as it's so flimsy. The body is heavy, and the structure of the roof never supports an overturning...

Now that a large number of people have died, maybe the authorities will look into the design of coaches and buses that is permitted in Thailand

Death such as this are not accidents or the result of poor design but one of incompetance on the part of the company and the drivers. Sort out the initial problem of drivers and company expectations first and then good design will go a long way in helping to save lives in the case of a "real" accident.

Not so - once a vehicle is in process of "having an accident" it is the design of the vehicle that will decide on how many people are injured and to what extent.

Not so - once a vehicle is in process of "having an accident" it is the design of the vehicle that will decide on how many people are injured and to what extent.

Prevention is always better than cure, there are far too many unnecessary bus/coach accidents here in the kingdom, when I travel I have lost count of the number of times I have seen these so called accidents with over turned lorries a frequent occurrence, in fact most cases are one of, degrees of negligence to a greater or lesser degree and the sooner the authorities take these incidences of negligence along with drunken drivers seriously then nothing will change, it also goes without saying that an effective testing system would help along with applying the law.

Terrible waste of life, but unfortunately not so surprising, some of those bus drivers are the craziest drivers I have ever seen and not just buses. I once visited Koh Chiang and and we rode in a song touw (not sure about spelling) and the driver scared the hel_l out of me. Overtaking when he clearly couldn't see the road ahead for bends. My wife and I hired a small motornike (I didn't ride one of these for about 20 years) but I felt alot safer on this than on their public transport.

R.I.P. and condolencies to all those connected.

Never ride the Bus outside of Bangkok.In Bangkok there is so much traffic they can not speed.Going long haul requires a death wish.

In Europe all coaches are now built with rollover protection.

In Europe coach drivers are restricted by law for drivering hours, not only under the drivers hours regulations but also under the working time directive. The same applies to HGV drivers. But some companies/drivers still excede permitted driving hours and don't take enough rest hours.

In Europe coaches are limited to 100km/hr (62mph) by law. But it doesn't stop some drivers interfering with speed limiters.

It is now a law that coach passengers must wear a seatbelt. But do coach passengers wear them - not everyone does!!!

Crashes still happen! And laws get broken.

Not long after the seatbelt law was brought in in the UK , a Double Decker express coach overturned shortly after leaving Heathrow. 3 passengers died........ why? Mainly because they weren't wearing seatbelts.

Unfortunately until some form of regulation is imposed on coach transport in Thailand, crashes like these will continue to happen. Regulation won't stop them happening, but it might reduce the number of accidents.

In Europe all coaches are now built with rollover protection.

In Europe coach drivers are restricted by law for drivering hours, not only under the drivers hours regulations but also under the working time directive. The same applies to HGV drivers. But some companies/drivers still excede permitted driving hours and don't take enough rest hours.

In Europe coaches are limited to 100km/hr (62mph) by law. But it doesn't stop some drivers interfering with speed limiters.

It is now a law that coach passengers must wear a seatbelt. But do coach passengers wear them - not everyone does!!!

Crashes still happen! And laws get broken.

Not long after the seatbelt law was brought in in the UK , a Double Decker express coach overturned shortly after leaving Heathrow. 3 passengers died........ why? Mainly because they weren't wearing seatbelts.

Unfortunately until some form of regulation is imposed on coach transport in Thailand, crashes like these will continue to happen. Regulation won't stop them happening, but it might reduce the number of accidents.

Pretty much what I said, the law in England is far more rigidly enforced than here in Thailand, I note your last paragraph, regulations of course will not stop ALL accidents but would considerable lower the numbers thus also lowering the total dead.

Road safety takes 2 forms - passive and active.

in Europe they take both aspects seriously - tacho-graphs attempt to monitor drivers' hours and regulations of coach construction tries to limit any damage to passengers subsequent to a crash.

Keeping the driver awake comes under active. - it is part of how vehicles AVOID crashes etc

Passive is how the vehicle behaves in an accident. - You will NEVER prevent all collisions and crashes so what happens once this process has started is probably the most important - seat-belts and crumple zones are 2 examples you'll find in the average family saloon - which now has dozens of both active and passive features...not so the normal Thai holiday coach....

I for one would have to be in dire straits before I travelled in your average Thai bus. - (Thailand is not alone in this - of course) - they are little more than a wooden/aluminium box on a frame.

in the event of an accident passengers and internal furnishing detach and fly all over the place - AT THE SPEED THE VEHICLE WAS TRAVELLING - the results are horrendous.

It's no good just saying "seatbelts" they have to be attached to something that will hold the passenger in place whilst shock absorbing areas of the vehicle take the brunt of any impacts - but most of the thai coaches have none of this - the chassis' momentum means it careers on and on whilst the flimsy bodywork just disintegrates.

Next time you're out and about, you might see one of these "supercoaches" being built - the amount of plywood is alarming - you are probably worse off than sitting in a trailer (caravan) when it comes to a crash.

The driver may be at fault, but so was the constructor of the vehicle.

Edited by TVmonitor

Road safety takes 2 forms - passive and active.

in Europe they take both aspects seriously - tacho-graphs attempt to monitor drivers' hours and regulations of coach construction tries to limit any damage to passengers subsequent to a crash.

Keeping the driver awake comes under active. - it is part of how vehicles AVOID crashes etc

Passive is how the vehicle behaves in an accident. - You will NEVER prevent all collisions and crashes so what happens once this process has started is probably the most important - seat-belts and crumple zones are 2 examples you'll find in the average family saloon - which now has dozens of both active and passive features...not so the normal Thai holiday coach....

I for one would have to be in dire straits before I travelled in your average Thai bus. - (Thailand is not alone in this - of course) - they are little more than a wooden/aluminium box on a frame.

in the event of an accident passengers and internal furnishing detach and fly all over the place - AT THE SPEED THE VEHICLE WAS TRAVELLING - the results are horrendous.

It's no good just saying "seatbelts" they have to be attached to something that will hold the passenger in place whilst shock absorbing areas of the vehicle take the brunt of any impacts - but most of the thai coaches have none of this - the chassis' momentum means it careers on and on whilst the flimsy bodywork just disintegrates.

Next time you're out and about, you might see one of these "supercoaches" being built - the amount of plywood is alarming - you are probably worse off than sitting in a trailer (caravan) when it comes to a crash.

Agreed but you get exactly what your prepared to pay for, if the tour company want the cheapest flashiest bus/coach for his cash thats exactly what the manufacturer will supply unfortunately.

Not so - safety construction needs govt regulation and enforcement.

Even those beautiful three axle jobs are just death traps - a flimsy boxes on wheels - and they happily sail along at over 120 kmph - they spend more money here on a coach not to make it safer, but - as ever - to make it LOOK better.

These coaches' "coachwork is not built abroad - they are largely built here - the chassis and engine may be imported but the body is local.

Edited by TVmonitor

Not so - safety construction needs govt regulation and enforcement.

Even those beautiful three axle jobs are just death traps - a flimsy boxes on wheels - and they happily sail along at over 120 kmph - they spend more money here on a coach not to make it safer, but - as ever - to make it LOOK better.

These coaches' "coachwork is not built abroad - they are largely built here - the chassis and engine may be imported but the body is local.

That is exactly what my post says, if you do not have enforced government legislation you will get cheap flashy vehicles that do not meet up with construction and use as defined in Europe.

Sorry the way I read it your were inferring that the more expensive vehicles in Thailand were safer....it is really down to design and construction - which in most cases will result in a more expensive vehicle, so th govt will have to legislate or no-one (i.e. the operators) will do a thing.

yopu can of course spend a lot of money on a flashy coach and still get a death trap.

KRABI: -- A chartered bus taking officials of the Samut Prakan Provincial Administrative Organization for field trips overturned here Friday morning, killing 17 and injuring 30 passengers.

The accident occurred at 6:30 am on the Phanom-Khao Tor Road in Ban Bang Hoi village in Tambon Khao Tor of Krabi's Prayphaya district.

Twelve passengers of the bus died at the scene and five more died at hospitals.

Thirty other passengers were injured and rushed to the Krabin and district hospitals nearby.

About 400 officials were travelling in 12 buses. They left Samut Prakan Thursday evening.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 05/06/09

shit..how very sad...may they rest in peace..condoleces to all the involved..

Sorry the way I read it your were inferring that the more expensive vehicles in Thailand were safer....it is really down to design and construction - which in most cases will result in a more expensive vehicle, so th govt will have to legislate or no-one (i.e. the operators) will do a thing.

yopu can of course spend a lot of money on a flashy coach and still get a death trap.

My previous posts stated my beliefs better but no amount of legislation will negate the effects of having a lunatic driving the bus/coach,

unfortunately but all aspects of safety have to be looked at. :)

Please re-read carefully what was said - surely the first step is to reduce " the process of having an accident" ie poor driving etc.

Edited by Artisi

The coach driver is the one that is most at risk in the event off an accident. There is very little protection for the driver. The front panel on coaches tend to be made of fibreglass then theres that a great big glass window, there is no such thing as a crumple zone.

I enjoyed driving coaches......... but i hated been treated like a piece of dirt by a lot of passengers.

Please re-read carefully what was said - surely the first step is to reduce " the process of having an accident" ie poor driving etc.

no - one is active and the other is passive - read up on raod safety.

I feel for the families and friends left behind but it is typical of TIT, Why don't they have two drivers so one can relieve the other, I'll tell you why just incase you don't realise , this is the Thai way of saving a couple of hundred Baht. It's so easy to turn a blind eye and say " UPTO BUDDAH " AND I personally love all the Thai people that are my friends and the ones that are acquaintances.

Maybe some good will come of all this.

I had not discussed the issue with my Thai girlfriend but a couple of days ago asked 'why is Kat not at school today?'. Back came the answer that the family were not allowing her to go on a school trip - 'it's too long a journey (only 100kilos) and there has been so much in the TV and newspaper news recently about people getting killed by crappy bus drivers' (what's the Thai word for crappy btw?). Kat is moping about the house for 3 days, but everyone in family and friends have bewailed/agreed about the state of driving.

I don't remember tachos and logs when I was a lad and it usually takes 40 years for a 3rd world country to adopt 1st world standards. maybe LOS will act quicker and show it is 2nd world. Woops that was a bit pompous.