How Long Before We All Get Kicked Out?

CrossBones

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My hunch is that the OP had a bad experience. We all get them. How we deal with them is the difference between happiness and unhappiness. One cannot predict the future, but based upon current conditions, it is is highly unlikely that we will be teated to the Idi Amin or Gamal Nasser experience where we are given 24 hours notice to leave and then see our belongings confiscated.

[

the whole world is watching so i am not worried. I lay low, show respect and dont bother anyone and they dont bother me. I'm staying unless the drag me out, which I dont see happening

Umm, sure the whole world might be watching, but does it care? After all, the whole world is watching the genocide in Darfur and not much is happening. The world was good at watching in Rwanda, Bosnia and Cambodia too. I wouldn't count on the world coming to your aid.

And not for nothing.... but you need a visa and legal residency to be an expat. I'm not sure what kind of Thai people you all have run in to but I have never had a problem nor have I ever been looked down on or talked down to by a Thai, I have a lot more problems with perpetual tourists that think they are owed something. I think some of you seriously need to reevaluate your situation and your life in general and see where this inferiority complex comes from and the bitterness. I'm curious how many people are going to wind up at the US Consulate or Embassy and cost the tax payers (yes I am one) for a free ticket home.

I have not had any bad experiences with the Thais, from immigration to the BIB it has always gone smoothly and have never felt anyone didn't want me here. Of course I've only been here full time for 3 years so maybe it takes longer to be disliked.

So the comment made by many posters that if they didn't like a place they would find one they did like, makes a lot of sense to me.

Most every day I think what a great place to live. Don't see that changing anytime in the near or distant future.

Curious as to how many of the real complainers even live in LOS.

I have not had any bad experiences with the Thais, from immigration to the BIB it has always gone smoothly and have never felt anyone didn't want me here. Of course I've only been here full time for 3 years so maybe it takes longer to be disliked.

So the comment made by many posters that if they didn't like a place they would find one they did like, makes a lot of sense to me.

Most every day I think what a great place to live. Don't see that changing anytime in the near or distant future.

I totally aggree with everything you say. I have met some miserable bastards here, but I think they would be the same anywhere.

What a load of crap. Explain how it is so much more difficult or expensive today.

I just did. read the post :) If I cast my mind back to pre-square head days it was 500bt for a visa extension. He upped it overnight to just shy of 2000bt. Does that help you to understand a little more clearly? :D

I agree with everything you have to say and I've been here almost 20 years. :)

You overstay in Australia, you will be put in a detention centre for a few weeks.

Exactly my point. Nowadays, it's probably a lot more difficult to leave Thailand by only paying the overstay charge which I think is now at 200bt per day instead of the 50bt pre square head. I bet also won't be engaged in very friendly conversation about the highlights of your holiday either. :)

What a load of crap. Explain how it is so much more difficult or expensive today.

I just did. read the post :) If I cast my mind back to pre-square head days it was 500bt for a visa extension. He upped it overnight to just shy of 2000bt. Does that help you to understand a little more clearly? :D

And my point is, you can still leave with a minor fine for overstay, that hasn't changed. Tourist visas are inexpensive, 30 day entries are free. If you can't afford the extra 1400 Baht for an extension, maybe you should reconsider your financial situation.

Read my other post, and try to dispute those facts.

You overstay in Australia, you will be put in a detention centre for a few weeks.

Exactly my point. Nowadays, it's probably a lot more difficult to leave Thailand by only paying the overstay charge which I think is now at 200bt per day instead of the 50bt pre square head. I bet also won't be engaged in very friendly conversation about the highlights of your holiday either. :)

The first 24 hours, you usually don't pay anything. It's maximum 20,000 Baht fine, But, why would very many people put themselves in that position, when they can enter visa exempt for free? Is that cheap enough for you?

You guys complain, but somehow manage to ignore the fact, that it is inexpensive and easy to visit or even stay legally.

Edited by beechguy

And my point is, you can still leave with a minor fine for overstay, that hasn't changed. Tourist visas are inexpensive, 30 day entries are free. If you can't afford the extra 1400 Baht for an extension, maybe you should reconsider your financial situation.

Hmmm. fail to see your correlation between a 400% increase in visa charges and your point on ' a load of crap explain how it is much more expensive today' posting. As to whether I could/can afford the extra 1400bt (which was half the monthly rent on my first room in Bangkok back in 1996). I've never not been able to afford it but I can't say I was jumping for joy at the news of the huge price hike :D

Hmmm. fail to see your correlation between a 400% increase in visa charges and your point on ' a load of crap explain how it is much more expensive today' posting. As to whether I could/can afford the extra 1400bt (which was half the monthly rent on my first room in Bangkok back in 1996). I've never not been able to afford it but I can't say I was jumping for joy at the news of the huge price hike :D

400% sounds alot, but the amount it jumped up in actual baht is close to fuc_k all.

I guess we all look at Thailand from different perspectives, I am in my early Thirties work and spend most of my time in Australia, I just happened to have met a Thai Lady that I took a fancy to. I like Thailand and most of its People, the country is beautiful, but i have only been traveling there for 4 years and am not yet at the stage of being able to turn a blind eye to the inequalities of the country, if you live in Thailand you have no choice but to accept these things or it will do your head in.

So to you, I seem like I am bagging the country and to me, You seem like you are apologising or are oblivious to its problems.

The simple statement of if you don't like don't come is not really fair

And not for nothing.... but you need a visa and legal residency to be an expat. I'm not sure what kind of Thai people you all have run in to but I have never had a problem nor have I ever been looked down on or talked down to by a Thai, I have a lot more problems with perpetual tourists that think they are owed something. I think some of you seriously need to reevaluate your situation and your life in general and see where this inferiority complex comes from and the bitterness. I'm curious how many people are going to wind up at the US Consulate or Embassy and cost the tax payers (yes I am one) for a free ticket home.

You said in an earlier post: "...including the high ranking officials who happen to be my dear friends." Thank you for revealing that. Now I understand where you are coming from.

For the record, I do not have a visa problem but did do "visa runs" in the distant past for various reasons. You seem to think that everyone who did or does a visa run is somehow a bad person.

Several years ago I was teaching, undertaking research and doing contract work at a well-known Thai university. When my contract was finished I was presented with an offer to work at a much better university abroad.

I needed about one month to get things in order before leaving. So I did a visa run to get a 30 day stamp. I got the stamp.

My point is that not everyone who does a visa run is breaking the law or intent of the law or is not making a positive difference in Thailand. Some people have legitimate reasons to do visa runs....even multiple visa runs back to back.

By the way, when I did do visa runs in the past the bus was filled with a mixture of "farangs." Most of the people on the bus did not look poor. And the vast majority did not look like they just escaped from a prison.

I doubt that any of us even imagined that we were breaking any law or the intent of a law.

We we were doing what immigration officials told us to do. The immigration police were encouraging it. Why? Because they were making lots of money off of it.

Security wasn't an issue because to do a visa run (e.g., to Cambodia) you are checked four times: leaving Thailand, entering Cambodia, leaving Cambodia, entering Thailand.

I, too, see some farangs/expats that do not look like they are contributing anything here, but many are and some do have legitimate reasons for doing visa runs (some simply do not want to spend several days outside of the country trying to get a tourists visa).

The solution?

1) Do away with the system of border runs

2) Do away with the requirement to leave the country to change your visa status

3) Implement a pay to stay system (one month, three months, six months, twelve months)

People should be able to walk into any immigration checkpoint, get a security clearance, and pay for a visa.

If the tourists/expat/foreigner can pay, and if they pose no security risk, they should be able to stay.......

This is a simple solution...the Philippines is doing it now....Cambodia is doing something similar......surely Thailand can figure out how to do it.

Putting such a system in place would allow immigration to spend far more time and energy focusing on security.

Kick me out! They couldn't pay me to stay. Well maybe for 100- 200 Million Baht they could.

Then why do you? Just curious.

Waiting for wife's visa. I will still visit, I just don't want to live here full time.

Same as.

You said in an earlier post: "...including the high ranking officials who happen to be my dear friends." Thank you for revealing that. Now I understand where you are coming from.

For the record, I do not have a visa problem but did do "visa runs" in the distant past for various reasons. You seem to think that everyone who did or does a visa run is somehow a bad person.

Several years ago I was teaching, undertaking research and doing contract work at a well-known Thai university. When my contract was finished I was presented with an offer to work at a much better university abroad.

I needed about one month to get things in order before leaving. So I did a visa run to get a 30 day stamp. I got the stamp.

My point is that not everyone who does a visa run is breaking the law or intent of the law or is not making a positive difference in Thailand. Some people have legitimate reasons to do visa runs....even multiple visa runs back to back.

By the way, when I did do visa runs in the past the bus was filled with a mixture of "farangs." Most of the people on the bus did not look poor. And the vast majority did not look like they just escaped from a prison.

I doubt that any of us even imagined that we were breaking any law or the intent of a law.

We we were doing what immigration officials told us to do. The immigration police were encouraging it. Why? Because they were making lots of money off of it.

Security wasn't an issue because to do a visa run (e.g., to Cambodia) you are checked four times: leaving Thailand, entering Cambodia, leaving Cambodia, entering Thailand.

I, too, see some farangs/expats that do not look like they are contributing anything here, but many are and some do have legitimate reasons for doing visa runs (some simply do not want to spend several days outside of the country trying to get a tourists visa).

The solution?

1) Do away with the system of border runs

2) Do away with the requirement to leave the country to change your visa status

3) Implement a pay to stay system (one month, three months, six months, twelve months)

People should be able to walk into any immigration checkpoint, get a security clearance, and pay for a visa.

If the tourists/expat/foreigner can pay, and if they pose no security risk, they should be able to stay.......

This is a simple solution...the Philippines is doing it now....Cambodia is doing something similar......surely Thailand can figure out how to do it.

Putting such a system in place would allow immigration to spend far more time and energy focusing on security.

Excellent idea. Doing a way with border runs as we have done in Europe helps to cut down everyone's costs. Could it mean that that would free up more police to actually make the country a safer place to live? could be a win/win for all! :D:)

Many people from many cultures feel the need to buy property and homes to live in for some reason. I have owned and lived in several in developed counties. What is wrong with leasing and the ability to move on if one day you wake up and feel the need? You can count yourself lucky if you are able to quickly sell your property and get you money out of Thailand. I feel a little sorry for all those people with their questionable deeds and nominee setups here.

Thailand is a great place to live. That said, never invest any more than you are able to walk away from. I think in general that Thais want us here. Being here with money helps and the Thais will gladly take anything they can get from you. I don't think that fact is any different in any other country. We are guests in this country and should respect their rules. Yes. Even the silly ones. Where else in the world could you do a visa run every 15 days and who in their right mind would do it? That said, I am required to report my address every 90 days for no good reason.

The first 24 hours, you usually don't pay anything. It's maximum 20,000 Baht fine, But, why would very many people put themselves in that position, when they can enter visa exempt for free? Is that cheap enough for you?

You guys complain, but somehow manage to ignore the fact, that it is inexpensive and easy to visit or even stay legally.

Oh contrare! Many are now screeming at the costs when trying to match a pension from their home countries to the ever changing/increasing visa requirements needed to stay legally. As for leaving legally - talk to Simon Burrows. I'm sure that he will give you some pithy comments on that option :D:D

Many people from many cultures feel the need to buy property and homes to live in for some reason. I have owned and lived in several in developed counties. What is wrong with leasing and the ability to move on if one day you wake up and feel the need? You can count yourself lucky if you are able to quickly sell your property and get you money out of Thailand. I feel a little sorry for all those people with their questionable deeds and nominee setups here.

Thailand is a great place to live. That said, never invest any more than you are able to walk away from. I think in general that Thais want us here. Being here with money helps and the Thais will gladly take anything they can get from you. I don't think that fact is any different in any other country. We are guests in this country and should respect their rules. Yes. Even the silly ones. Where else in the world could you do a visa run every 15 days and who in their right mind would do it? That said, I am required to report my address every 90 days for no good reason.

I largely agree with you. It is a great place to live and that's why I have done so for the last 13 years. However, many of your points blow the 'we are guests in their country' out of the water. Guests aren't forced to report to police every 90 days for no good reason. I am here because I satisfy their miles and miles of red-tape beauracracy - I'm not welcomed in with open arms and given the run of the place!

That said, as long as I can satisfy their demands I will stay and enjoy my life. :)

Not too far fetched, true, however my guess is (just a guess) that it will be certain groups that will be allowed to stay - those married to Thai citizens that provide support, and those who own businesses that provide jobs for Thai citizens and are not in competition with Thai businesses. As I said, merely a guess, but I certainly agree with your premise - our remaining here as guests is arbitrary at best.

Yeah, business owners, married to Thai, pensioners, WP holders can stay. All the rest has to go because they don't contribute. Tourists can stay up to 1 month too but better would be if they just send their money and didn't come over.

I'm sure one of the main reasons to get PR is to be safe from being kicked out. You'll never know what might happen.

Never liked the word 'guest' in this context. I usually don't rob my guests but I'll try to adapt.

Thailand is a great place to live. That said, never invest any more than you are able to walk away from.

This phrase is often repeated here...........Always makes me wonder...

Who invests with that thought in mind?

Perhaps they should say never gamble more than your willing to lose? :)

As to the OP's question

My guess is it will not be TL that kicks you out. Probably will be your own country instead...When they cut your income/retirement/SS/pension etc.

I don't know what everyone is complaining about. If you take it in reverse the Thai people get short changed on the deal. As a Canadian or American tourist all I have to do is have a passport and I can legally enter Thailand for up to 30 days. If I take out a triple entry tourist visa I can stay for 180 days. That is with NO security check and very little funds. Nobody checks anything. However, a Thai with a passport can not legally enter Canada or the USA without a WHOLE LOT OF RED TAPE! Even if a Thai is legally married to a Canadian or US citizen there is STILL a whole lot of red tape required and a LOT of money spent trying to get a simple tourist entry. There is no way possible that I could bring a Thai girl friend back to Canada with me for even a short stay. She would have to have some huge security deposit in Thailand just to go on a simple holiday.

I don't know what everyone is complaining about. If you take it in reverse the Thai people get short changed on the deal. As a Canadian or American tourist all I have to do is have a passport and I can legally enter Thailand for up to 30 days. If I take out a triple entry tourist visa I can stay for 180 days. That is with NO security check and very little funds. Nobody checks anything. However, a Thai with a passport can not legally enter Canada or the USA without a WHOLE LOT OF RED TAPE! Even if a Thai is legally married to a Canadian or US citizen there is STILL a whole lot of red tape required and a LOT of money spent trying to get a simple tourist entry. There is no way possible that I could bring a Thai girl friend back to Canada with me for even a short stay. She would have to have some huge security deposit in Thailand just to go on a simple holiday.

Well, the square headed one had no probs with Europe - bought houses, football clubs - the full biffta! Indeed, Germany is now hopping mad that it issued him with a visa while he is on the run. As for the problem with getting a visa for your girlfriend, I think that may be a case of 'once bitten ...' if you know what I mean. Sadly, some of the ladies who make it over to the west have hidden agendas - again, if you know what I mean... :)

People love to think there is some conspiracy in Thailand to get all the foreigners out. Sorry, it's not so. If it ever happens that they kick everyone out of the country, nobody will trade with them anymore, their economy will dive, their people wills starve and it will have only come about because a military junta will be in power and also have the attitude of the junta in Myanmar of a virtually closed country. Do you see that happening? Um, no. So, OP, rest easy and please post more crazy theories on this forum, it's good entertainment to see how people think.

The Thais are well know to consider the future aren't they.The majority of Thais don't even think about what will happen tomorrow.

Oh contrare! Many are now screeming at the costs when trying to match a pension from their home countries to the ever changing/increasing visa requirements needed to stay legally. As for leaving legally - talk to Simon Burrows. I'm sure that he will give you some pithy comments on that option :D:D

So why is it the Thais' job to try to take care of every scenerio or situation of every visitor or expat? Yes, there was a major increase in the amounts to obtain "Extension of Stays". I still don't think they are unreasonable. The exchange rate is causing a problem for some nationalities, but that isn't Thai immigrations fault. Also, if they can't meet the requirements, so what, it's still not expensive to stay using Tourist Visas, they don't have to pack up and go back home if they don't want.

Fact, thirty day entries by air, Free, at least four 15 day ground entries, free, Tourist visas were Free, now only 1,000 Baht per entry. Even at 60 days, that's only about 17 Baht per day. If they can't afford that then maybe they should go back home. again Non-immigrant visas also inexpensive.

So, you can it's difficult to come here or stay! But I say, yep, you got it, "load of crap".

Edited by beechguy