How Long Before We All Get Kicked Out?

CrossBones

Many people from many cultures feel the need to buy property and homes to live in for some reason. I have owned and lived in several in developed counties. What is wrong with leasing and the ability to move on if one day you wake up and feel the need? You can count yourself lucky if you are able to quickly sell your property and get you money out of Thailand. I feel a little sorry for all those people with their questionable deeds and nominee setups here.

Thailand is a great place to live. That said, never invest any more than you are able to walk away from. I think in general that Thais want us here. Being here with money helps and the Thais will gladly take anything they can get from you. I don't think that fact is any different in any other country. We are guests in this country and should respect their rules. Yes. Even the silly ones. Where else in the world could you do a visa run every 15 days and who in their right mind would do it? That said, I am required to report my address every 90 days for no good reason.

I largely agree with you. It is a great place to live and that's why I have done so for the last 13 years. However, many of your points blow the 'we are guests in their country' out of the water. Guests aren't forced to report to police every 90 days for no good reason. I am here because I satisfy their miles and miles of red-tape beauracracy - I'm not welcomed in with open arms and given the run of the place!

That said, as long as I can satisfy their demands I will stay and enjoy my life. :)

I'm with you. I too simply comply with everything they throw at me. When I'm unable to do so I will have to come up with Plan B. Right now we are "guests" that need to be tightly controlled. While they check to see if our visa requirements fully comply with the rules of the day the country is being overun with long term overstayers involved in crime or hiding out from some jurisdiction or another.

Edited by grantbkk

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have never read so much rubbish written about Thai people and their attitudes towards ex-pats.

Yes, there are certainly examples of bad attitude/bad treament from Thai's which can be cited by ex-pats, and yes, it can certainly be a "caveat emptor" experiance, but standing back from many of those incidents it's often a case of fault on both sides i.e. the ignorance is equal.

Its my experiance that ex-pats with generalised critical perceptions about Thailand and it's people, are usualy those who come here with preconcieved ideas about Caucasian "superiority" - that somehow Western monetary wealth, development, education ect etc ... equates to them been better people, or Thailand been a backward country. What rubbish - yes, the sooner you're thrown out the better

Take a look at your own attitudes and perceptions about & towards Thai's - before you critisize them about how you think they perceive you.

Rights & wrongs aside, on both sides - if one doesn't like it here, why the hel_l are you here(?): as another forum member has said, pack up and move on - Vietnam and Cambodia are both cheaper - but remember one thing: you take yourself and your attitudes with you!

Now here is a guy that "gets it" and I really appreciate him posting the true story with respect to expats in Thailand. I agree that Thailand is the most perfect society/nation and anyone that disagrees should be beaten -with a ratio of 10 brave Thais to one foreigner- and deported immediately.

If I were a Thai and reading this forum, I would be lauging my as@ off; why should the Thais behave decently with foreigners when some foreigners can only respond with "Pack up and move on..."

And I agree with the OP- all foreigners have a bad attitude. Thailand Rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree that Thailand is the most perfect society/nation and anyone that disagrees should be beaten -with a ratio of 10 brave Thais to one foreigner- and deported immediately.
I find it is helpful to use some funny icons when telling jokes; otherwise, people may think flip statements are stated seriously ...

I have never read so much rubbish written about Thai people and their attitudes towards ex-pats.

Yes, there are certainly examples of bad attitude/bad treament from Thai's which can be cited by ex-pats, and yes, it can certainly be a "caveat emptor" experiance, but standing back from many of those incidents it's often a case of fault on both sides i.e. the ignorance is equal.

Its my experiance that ex-pats with generalised critical perceptions about Thailand and it's people, are usualy those who come here with preconcieved ideas about Caucasian "superiority" - that somehow Western monetary wealth, development, education ect etc ... equates to them been better people, or Thailand been a backward country. What rubbish - yes, the sooner you're thrown out the better

Take a look at your own attitudes and perceptions about & towards Thai's - before you critisize them about how you think they perceive you.

Rights & wrongs aside, on both sides - if one doesn't like it here, why the hel_l are you here(?): as another forum member has said, pack up and move on - Vietnam and Cambodia are both cheaper - but remember one thing: you take yourself and your attitudes with you!

Now here is a guy that "gets it" and I really appreciate him posting the true story with respect to expats in Thailand. I agree that Thailand is the most perfect society/nation and anyone that disagrees should be beaten -with a ratio of 10 brave Thais to one foreigner- and deported immediately.

If I were a Thai and reading this forum, I would be lauging my as@ off; why should the Thais behave decently with foreigners when some foreigners can only respond with "Pack up and move on..."

And I agree with the OP- all foreigners have a bad attitude. Thailand Rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:) It is amazes me how easy it is to make certain people think down is up, left is right, bad is good,.....etc. Those that rule love it when they can manage to do it. Maizefarmer is so far off the mark.......no need to even respond.

:) It is amazes me how easy it is to make certain people think down is up, left is right, bad is good,.....etc. Those that rule love it when they can manage to do it. Maizefarmer is so far off the mark.......no need to even respond.

Hi JR, can you show us some real facts and numbers to support what you say, rather than just an opinion.

as if anyone here really understands the logic behind their policies, assuming there is any logic ...

I think this makes a good point, just exactly what is the current aim of Thailand's immigration-policy, and who sets it ?

Many would assume that the Immigration Police, and therefore the policies they apply, were controlled by the government-of-the-day. And yet the economic-objective of the government, to try to keep tourism limping-along in the middle of a major global down-turn, is directly opposed by the frequent changes in visa-run conditions, which have even been tightened-up in recent months.

Why the contradiction ? Do the government actually get consulted, before new rules are introduced, or do Immigration work independent of the authorities responsible for tourism or the economy ? One might wish for a clear strategy to be agreed, with everyone's actions then directed to making it work, rather than the current apparently-haphazard state-of-affairs. :)

If Thais are trying to throw us out, they aren't doing a very good job, but I suppose that is to be expected by some.

Again, Fact: Free 30 day entries by air, no limit, a minimum of four 15 day entries by land, free, Tourist visas, inexpensive and no limit. Non-immigrant visas, reasonably priced and easy to obtain if you meet the minimal requirements, also easy to keep if you do not meet the more detailed but reasonable "Extension of Stay" requirements.

There is no reason, based on immigration regulations, not to visit or live in Thailand if you want.

Edited by beechguy

as if anyone here really understands the logic behind their policies, assuming there is any logic ...

I think this makes a good point, just exactly what is the current aim of Thailand's immigration-policy, and who sets it ?

Many would assume that the Immigration Police, and therefore the policies they apply, were controlled by the government-of-the-day. And yet the economic-objective of the government, to try to keep tourism limping-along in the middle of a major global down-turn, is directly opposed by the frequent changes in visa-run conditions, which have even been tightened-up in recent months.

Why the contradiction ? Do the government actually get consulted, before new rules are introduced, or do Immigration work independent of the authorities responsible for tourism or the economy ? One might wish for a clear strategy to be agreed, with everyone's actions then directed to making it work, rather than the current apparently-haphazard state-of-affairs. :)

It is odd that the Bureau of Immigration (BOI) is allowed to pass laws that hurt Thailand's economy and gives the country a bad reputation as tourism/expat/investment unfriendly.

The BOI seems to be a separate entity with the power to do what they want, when they want, no matter who gets hurt.

They could adopt some positive Western models to make their system more humane, efficient, logical, and receptive to tourism and retirement.

They could abandon their self-generated/adopted social/ethnic cleansing mandate and start focusing on security.

But for now they seem to have a different agenda.

Sometimes people have to endure a lot of pain before they accept the fact that they have made a serious mistake.

For the BOI, that pain might come in the form of a sharp reduction in revenues.

Thai immigration policies are so out of date, I think they will realise soon and make som changes. I'm actually hoping all this bad media attention will effect Thai's tourism alot more, it might (hope, fingers crossed) make them change there policies and relax the visa laws alot more.

I dont know about you guys, but I'm hoping the red shirts come out again and ruin Thailand's reputation. Only then I see Thailand change there policies, because nothing else will.

Bring on the red shirts (I also hate Thaksin)

Sorry, but the yellow shirts are much better at ruining Thailand's economy and reputation than the reds. Who shut down the main airport in Bangkok during the first busy week of high season and severely screwed up the best time of year for tourism?

The reds only caused a few minor problems during low season.

Well we all know that Thailand is a bit of a mickey-mouse country with an inflated ego and most of us have learnt that the powers that be in this country despise ordinary farangs. We have come to accept that unless we are especially wealthy our presence here is mildly tolerated. Thai culture teaches the uneducated locals that they are superior to us, and the educated Thais resent us because they know in all honesty that this is not true. Perhaps they have an inferiority complex.. but one thing for sure is that in Thailand they most certainly call the shots and stick together for their own interested so in that respect when we are in Thailand we are most certainly at the bottom of the barrel.

I am wondering how long it will be before we are evicted from this country permanently, and what will happen if we lose the right to own condos and the right to be married to a Thai.

I say this seriously because I dont think its too far fetched that things may actually come to this eventually.

Sounds like another sour grapes "I failed in Thailand and it's all Thailand's fault" post.

Thailand is very welcoming to people who fit in.

just another thread from people who feel that they have some sort of entitlement to be here just cause they have a few bucks in their pockets. This thread should be re-titled, 'anrgy white men ask for immigration welfare type rules from the Thai government'.

If Thailand insituted similar policies to those countries from where they are from, most none of them would qualify to migrate here cause they don't contribute and don't offer a unique skill. The one welcome change would be there would be fairer family renunion tests, but that is about it.

But then you'll get the same old same old reponses "it makes no sense to compare Thailand's immigration policies to XYZ first world country" Instead, they think it is better to compare it to backwater countries such as cambodia, nigeria, philippines, etc etc where immigration rules are so lax cause you couldn't pay people to go there in the first place. Malaysia, which is probably the most comparable place to analyse, only manages about 12,000 total immigrants under the Malaysia my second home programme.

No doubt the people here whinging wouldn't even qualify for that...

Edited by samran

Its my experiance that ex-pats with generalised critical perceptions about Thailand and it's people, are usualy those who come here with preconcieved ideas about Caucasian "superiority" - that somehow Western monetary wealth, development, education ect etc ... equates to them been better people, or Thailand been a backward country. What rubbish - yes, the sooner you're thrown out the better.

We're quite happy to consume in the West on material goods made in the Far East (from fridges, to shoes, to sporting goods, to car parts, to TV's and on and on and on ........), run Western brand-names and pay prices that keep many of those in Thailand and other Far Eastern countries, where they are in terms of oppurtunity and lifestyle. We're quite happy to come here and behave in places like Pattaya and Patong beach in a manner we wouldn't back home.

... and then think we have grounds to question how they treat us, and their attitude towards us. Well, if thats what one wants to belive (and its an attitude that expresses little but ones own ignorance), one may care to give some thought to the comments in the paragraph above.

BRAVO Maizefarmer! you said all what has to be said and each and every of your sentences hit the nail on the head.

It is odd that the Bureau of Immigration (BOI) is allowed to pass laws that hurt Thailand's economy and gives the country a bad reputation as tourism/expat/investment unfriendly.

The BOI seems to be a separate entity with the power to do what they want, when they want, no matter who gets hurt.

They could adopt some positive Western models to make their system more humane, efficient, logical, and receptive to tourism and retirement.

They could abandon their self-generated/adopted social/ethnic cleansing mandate and start focusing on security.

Sometimes people have to endure a lot of pain before they accept the fact that they have made a serious mistake.

And which laws would those be? Again, just your opinion, without any facts or details to back it up. How come you don't dispute the immigration information I have provided, based on facts, on at least 2 posts on this thread, and one on the Pattaya thread? Because you don't have any valid information, that"s why.

Edited by beechguy

Sorry, but the yellow shirts are much better at ruining Thailand's economy and reputation than the reds. Who shut down the main airport in Bangkok during the first busy week of high season and severely screwed up the best time of year for tourism?

The reds only caused a few minor problems during low season.

Yes you are right, ok I will now switch sides.

Come on yellow shirts!!!!!!!!

:D

This topic requires an orchestra :D:D

Love it :D It's exactly my reaction when I hear of all the lay-offs as the economic meltdown hits Thailand and the Thais. It will be even more funnier when they realise that a lot of westerners are getting wise to their policies and stop buying condos and houses, choose to stay home for hols or seek less expensive alternatives like Cambodia, Vietnam et al :D . Then when the next IMF era hits them and the international community also has the same reaction - I'll be on the floor doing the dying fly. :D

You hate it so bad than move! Nobody is asking for you to stay. Cambodia & Vietnam is less expensive than why are you still here? And if you're not in Thailand and you hate this place so much than why are you on this site talking about it? Seems to me if you hate something you'd want not to be bothered with it. :)

You are grossly mistaken. I love the place. I suppose you could call it a love/hate relationship. I love my Thai wife of ten years. I love living in this country and have done continuously for 13 years (with only a one month trip back to the UK 5 years ago). I love the food, the beauty of the ladies, though a little too hot during the middle four hours of the day - I do love the weather.

Sadly, I don't like the rascist attitude that seems to have grown since Thaksin Shinawatra took up his position of absolute power. These translate into my daily life in so many areas as already stated by myself and others. I put up with it but try to minimise my contact with such people and avoid it, as much as possible. I'm saddened at some of the changes in attitudes of Thais to expats/tourists/Non-Thais that I have witnessed over the years - especially by those in various uniforms and Thai people in business. Still, I do really enjoy my life out here which is why I continue to live here but it's been made plain to me to choose wisely when in comes to interaction between the locals :D

And which laws would those be? Again, just your opinion, without any facts or details to back it up. How come you don't dispute the immigration information I have provided, based on facts, on at least 2 posts on this thread, and one on the Pattaya thread? Because you don't have any valid information, that"s why.

Most of the readers here know precisely what I and others have been talking about........you don't. So I don't see any need to respond to what you are posting. And we have gone over it many times in the past.

But it might help you to understand the situation if you constructed and posted a table comparing the visa rules/prices in 1999 and the visa rules/prices in 2009.

From the contrary Thailand has no social security system where every foreigner can profit from and most,I don't say all,foreigners who come here can have the financial resources to take care themselves.

Wrong. Thailand indeed has a sosical security system. And it is open for foreigners as well. I know coz i used to hold the SS card and used to pay my contribution every month starting back in 2001.

My wife pays every month as well for several years. Just last week got over 30k compensation to cover the costs for birth of our child. Combination of one of payment and monthly allowance during maternity leave. Also will receive monthly child support allowance for couple of years. Nowdays she will also get some pension out of it if and when she will reach 60 years old. Maybe the amounts are not comparable to NZ or Europe but same goes with salaries, SS contribution amounts and cost of living.

Edit: and i mean that not many foreign tourists can benefit from social security here in Thailand and definedly not in europe and i believe tourists can not claim in NZ either ?

Lucky you. :) I can't have an SS as they changed the laws a year or so ago. :D Western/Non-Thai Directors are not allowed to have SS even though we are willing to pay for it. However, I still have to pay SS for four members of my staff. People that I must employ (even though I have no job for them to do) and pay tax/SS to allow me to legally open and run my company. I wonder how many NZ nationals a Thai would have to employ and pay tax/benefits for so that he/she can open their somtam shop? To that end, I wonder how many nationals in any country around the world Thais need to employ in order for them to set up in business? :D

They do not want us here.........that is what the visa system is telling us. If you can't see it, you are blind.

The trouble with some of you expats in Thailand is that you overestimate your importance. I doubt whether the Thais and the Thai govt think much about you from day to day. Why should they?

I can understand why you would say that given the attitude of some Thais towards Non-Thais. However, let me gently remind you of our importance - why the Thais did and do think about us. Remember the coup? Remember the new business act they bought in not long after and how punative it was to foreign investors in Thailand? Remember how a sizeable amount of foreign investment voted with its feet and pulled out of LOS? Remember thaht this caused the SET to crash over a period of days (I think it was the biggest crash they had ever experienced in such a short period)? Remember that they hurriedly changed the laws to stop the haemorraging of Foreign Investment? If you don't, I'm sure you know that google is your friend so check it out :) .

I might add that for a lot of companies and individuals the jury is still out on that event - if it can happen once... :D

farang peeple are lucky, they have choose over where they go to live, when not happy in thailand, why stay in thailand ????

i want to go stay in european country but its difficult, im thai people but not easy for visa so difficult, why farang complain about thailand, they can come here easy and leave easy too, thai peeple cannot have big choice

That's because citizens of poorer countries, in the main, become a burden on our societies while we, in the main, contribute to yours.

Precisely why Thai Immigration cannot be too picky or choosy about who they let in, but European countries can.

It's a question of need.

However that only applies for tourists, and as a Westerner it is virtually impossible for me to legally emigrate to Thailand and become a Thai citizen, with full rights as a Thai person, however tens of thousands of Thais are granted citizenship and full rights to European countries every year.

We haven't always agreed on an issue in the past but you have just nailed it perfectly :D

Total respect to you :D I couldn't have put it better or more succinctly than this. Hat's off :)

I don't know what everyone is complaining about. If you take it in reverse the Thai people get short changed on the deal. As a Canadian or American tourist all I have to do is have a passport and I can legally enter Thailand for up to 30 days. If I take out a triple entry tourist visa I can stay for 180 days. That is with NO security check and very little funds. Nobody checks anything. However, a Thai with a passport can not legally enter Canada or the USA without a WHOLE LOT OF RED TAPE! Even if a Thai is legally married to a Canadian or US citizen there is STILL a whole lot of red tape required and a LOT of money spent trying to get a simple tourist entry. There is no way possible that I could bring a Thai girl friend back to Canada with me for even a short stay. She would have to have some huge security deposit in Thailand just to go on a simple holiday.

Well, the square headed one had no probs with Europe - bought houses, football clubs - the full biffta! Indeed, Germany is now hopping mad that it issued him with a visa while he is on the run. As for the problem with getting a visa for your girlfriend, I think that may be a case of 'once bitten ...' if you know what I mean. Sadly, some of the ladies who make it over to the west have hidden agendas - again, if you know what I mean... :)

Certainly SOME ladies who make it over to the west have hidden agendas, but so do many foreign males heading for Thailand. Just about everyone has a hidden agenda about something. So what if the occasional Thai woman slips away while on vacation in Canada? Thailand is FULL of wandering foreigners who stay long past their legal visa date. That is precisely why Thailand has changed its border run laws and tried getting rid of the freeloaders. The United States is FULL of illegal Mexicans who are working hard at minimum wage jobs that free loading Americans on welfare won't do.

So what if the odd Thai woman slips away? It makes it a lot harder for you and people like you to get your lady into your country, that's what :D As for freeloading westerners who are wandering around the countryside bumping into you all day, every day. Err.... unless you are in uniform/politics/mafia et al, if you don't work in Thailand you don't eat, mate. Simple as that! No freeloading happening there, son

Lucky you. :) I can't have an SS as they changed the laws a year or so ago. :D Western/Non-Thai Directors are not allowed to have SS even though we are willing to pay for it. However, I still have to pay SS for four members of my staff. People that I must employ (even though I have no job for them to do) and pay tax/SS to allow me to legally open and run my company. I wonder how many NZ nationals a Thai would have to employ and pay tax/benefits for so that he/she can open their somtam shop? To that end, I wonder how many nationals in any country around the world Thais need to employ in order for them to set up in business? :D

Directors LOL...

Yes, in many european countries business owners have different SS system and pretty much take care it themselfs. Salaried employees pay SS everywhere and employer contributes their part for them as usual.

I have many times agreed here on to the fact that many western countries do not limit foreign ownership as thailand is doing.

You are propably "operating" shell company, propably to own property/land that you as foreigner control. This set up is actually illegal, read the many recent posts on nominees etc here on the forum.

If you have set up the company to invoice your consultancy etc fees thru so that you can get legit, have a visa and work permit then i'm afraid thailand is not interested in your business unless you can contribute and give employment to four thais. Yet again this is their way drawing the limit and preventing people using shell companies to acquire property, visas and work permits. So again, blame those who abused the system resulting in these rule changes instead of Thai government who is doing their best to stay on top of it.

Bungy,

That happend everywhere when you are a minority in any country. Sad but true. My wife has had some experiences in Australia and has even been assaulted because she was "asian"

Spysee. So sorry about what happened to your wife. Australia hasn't been the most friendly destination for Asians, recently. Indeed, Melbourne has been in the news for that very same fact this week. You do make a good point though. Sooner or later we are faced with being a minority - not easy for anyone to get used to or accept :)

I know one thing, I have experienced racism in Thailand and My Girlfriend has not experienced it in Australia.

The apologists are either very lucky or very sheltered to have not experienced Racism in Thailand, two tier pricing just for starters.

Wake up people.

Directors LOL...

Yes, in many european countries business owners have different SS system and pretty much take care it themselfs. Salaried employees pay SS everywhere and employer contributes their part for them as usual.

I have many times agreed here on to the fact that many western countries do not limit foreign ownership as thailand is doing.

You are propably "operating" shell company, propably to own property/land that you as foreigner control. This set up is actually illegal, read the many recent posts on nominees etc here on the forum.

If you have set up the company to invoice your consultancy etc fees thru so that you can get legit, have a visa and work permit then i'm afraid thailand is not interested in your business unless you can contribute and give employment to four thais. Yet again this is their way drawing the limit and preventing people using shell companies to acquire property, visas and work permits. So again, blame those who abused the system resulting in these rule changes instead of Thai government who is doing their best to stay on top of it.

Am I? There I was doing business in a completely different field but thanks for straightening me out. What should I say to my Accountant, the WP office and the tax department when they tell me "But bungy you don't own any property or land and you have never ever sold any?" The only thing I can think of would be "You should talk to my mate 'MJo'. He told me I am operating an illegal shell company selling property and land that I own" :D Is he wrong and has he been wrong all of these years that I have been in business?" :D

'MJo' come on! Think before you post or you will just keep shooting yourself in the foot along with most of the officialdom in Thailand :D

As an ex resident of the UK i believe that many uk expats,living in Thailand have had some critisism of the government in allowing more and more foreigners into the country,then they come on here complaining about the thai government too.They are starting to find the udesirables and the overstayers,the drug dealers,the peodos,and the criminals.NOW WHATS WRONG WITH THAT.

btw,

The next breed to be caught are the dolers,and the scammers then maybe we will have some decent people in Thailand.

Fantastic idea. Could start with the politicians - plenty of scammers there. How about that dude who came up with the Bangkok bus renting scam. He should be the first on the list. Then you could move onto the rice stores and the dodgy sale price (the government cost of storing the grain is a real killer of a scam). As for the dolers, once their money has run out they are in the same position as the Thais - work for your food or take the alternatives.

What if the Thai government told me I had to leave? What would I do? The answer is that I could do nothing and on that basis, I refuse to worry about it. I was told many years ago to NOT concern myself with things I had no control over.

This government is incredibly corrupt, always was and if it ever changes, it will be after most of us are dead and gone. That said, I feel that I am treated very well by the Thai people and I have no complaints. I'll stay as long as I can and if I am forced to leave, I'll pack my bags and hope that I can talk my wife into going with me.