General Info Required- Relocating To Jomtien Area

IrishIan

Hi all,

i am new to the site, i am hopefully relocating to the chonburi area of thailand to retire. But would like some advice before i decide on where.

So, any good advice/info on long term rentals, contactcs, areas to stay, banking, etc etc woud be most welcome...

I just want to rent- long term, i want to be somewhere close to ex-pat life and golf courses but dont want somewhere too busy, somewhere relaxing and a bit cheaper would be great. Maybe a 2 bedroom apartment close to the beach for around the 25000thb per month... is that possible?

Thanks in advance! :)

Cheers!!

Hi all,

i am new to the site, i am hopefully relocating to the chonburi area of thailand to retire. But would like some advice before i decide on where.

So, any good advice/info on long term rentals, contactcs, areas to stay, banking, etc etc woud be most welcome...

I just want to rent- long term, i want to be somewhere close to ex-pat life and golf courses but dont want somewhere too busy, somewhere relaxing and a bit cheaper would be great. Maybe a 2 bedroom apartment close to the beach for around the 25000thb per month... is that possible?

Thanks in advance! :)

Cheers!!

If you like a quiet area, you should also look at Pratumnak, which is the area between Buddha Hill and the sea south of Walking Street/Bali Hai, and north of Jomtien. In both Pratumnak and Jomtien there are many condos and small apartment buildings. The newer ones with better amenities will likely cost more than 25K/month for a 2-bed apartment, but older buildings like View Talay 1 and 2, Jomtien Complex Condo, and Jomtien Plaza should be feasible at that sort of budget. Ditto Pattaya Sombat and Pattaya Hill Resort in Pratumnak. There are really too many places to be able to recommend anywhere specific, just find somewhere to stay short-term when you first get here (hotel or a condo for a month, say) and look around. At the moment, there are many rooms available and few tenants with good money, so you should be able to get a good deal.

Be warned, though, that you really need your own transport to live in Pratumnak. The northern area of Jomtien is on the Baht Bus route so you can make do with public transport. Further south you will find it gets hard to persuade a Baht Bus to take you all the way home late at night. Some nice new condos like the Residence in Jomtien are off the beaten track, and you should not try walking on the roads around there after dark. Proximity to public transport is usually reflected in the property prices.

Don't sweat the details of moving here, other than getting the right visa (a 1 year non-O would be my suggestion). You will soon figure out bank accounts, driving licences, retirement extensions, etc., once you start meeting people who have been living here a while.

Good luck!

Edited by Guderian

I will give you great advice, but will you follow it is the question? Get health insurance with in the first few weeks you are here. In Thailand you die, without money at a hospital. Hopefully, you will never get in an accident where you don't have access to your funds, but if you do, it is not pretty.