Sinsod?

sirineou

I read the pined post of: Pinned: Sin Sod - An Explanation "PLEASE READ THIS FIRST”

And Now, I am more confused than ever. I understand the terms, and I know the cultural significance of it, but I still don’t know what is appropriate, there are two posts in that thread , one say you always get it back , the other one say you don’t get it back, which one is correct?? I love my fiancé, and I love her family, they are decent people and I want to do the right thing for her and her family. Personally I think that my fiancé getting married to me (I don’t have such a high opinion of my self , just considering the opportunities available to her as a US citizen) is of greater value, than sinsod ,but I understand the need of her family to comply to their cultural norms. After all they have to live in their village and they need to be respected.

I know that this subject has being disclosed many times, I have read countless of posts on the subject, but there are so many conflicting opinions, I am now more confused than ever. Can some one once and for all tell me what is appropriate. Not your opinion on the matter, we all have one, not what you would do, or have done, that is anecdotal, and your particular situation. but what is appropriate.

Thank you :)

PS. My finance is a beautiful 25 year old, with a University degree, from a poor family in Isaan .

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read the pined post of: Pinned: Sin Sod - An Explanation "PLEASE READ THIS FIRST”

And Now, I am more confused than ever. I understand the terms, and I know the cultural significance of it, but I still don’t know what is appropriate, there are two posts in that thread , one say you always get it back , the other one say you don’t get it back, which one is correct?? I love my fiancé, and I love her family, they are decent people and I want to do the right thing for her and her family. Personally I think that my fiancé getting married to me (I don’t have such a high opinion of my self , just considering the opportunities available to her as a US citizen) is of greater value, than sinsod ,but I understand the need of her family to comply to their cultural norms. After all they have to live in their village and they need to be respected.

I know that this subject has being disclosed many times, I have read countless of posts on the subject, but there are so many conflicting opinions, I am now more confused than ever. Can some one once and for all tell me what is appropriate. Not your opinion on the matter, we all have one, not what you would do, or have done, that is anecdotal, and your particular situation. but what is appropriate.

PS. My finance is a beautiful 25 year old, with a University degree, from a poor family in Isaan .

Well it looks like a very small sinsod would be necessary as you said yourself she is poor and so are the family.

Your GF is from Isaan, and her parents paid for her University studies, therefore I would expect the Sinsod to be about 1 million to 2 million baht, but you could be lucky.

I have not paid sinsod, I am legally married but have not done the celebration, where the sinsod is shown to friends and family. My sinsod will be about half a million to 1 million, as my wife also has a degree and she works, her Mum is a well respected teacher here in Bangkok, and I know that I will not see all the money again, but I will see at least 80percent. We have already bought 2 condos, so her mother knows that I will look after her daughter, and her Mum knows me very well, which is a great help.

Maybe just ask her parents about how much sinsod they would like to receive, maybe bargain about the amount, also try to find out how much will be given back as a gift from her parents.

Good luck

Your GF is from Isaan, and her parents paid for her University studies, therefore I would expect the Sinsod to be about 1 million to 2 million baht, but you could be lucky.

I have not paid sinsod, I am legally married but have not done the celebration, where the sinsod is shown to friends and family. My sinsod will be about half a million to 1 million, as my wife also has a degree and she works, her Mum is a well respected teacher here in Bangkok, and I know that I will not see all the money again, but I will see at least 80percent. We have already bought 2 condos, so her mother knows that I will look after her daughter, and her Mum knows me very well, which is a great help.

Maybe just ask her parents about how much sinsod they would like to receive, maybe bargain about the amount, also try to find out how much will be given back as a gift from her parents.

Good luck

I dont se it at all??? My wife got a uni degree paid for by herself leaving home at 14 from Issan to work in Bkk, took her a long time but she got it.

Pray tell what does this imply:

Personally I think that my fiancé getting married to me (I don’t have such a high opinion of my self , just considering the opportunities available to her as a US citizen) is of greater value, than sinsod

Unquote.

She is not a US citizen and even if she gets married she is not. Unless you mean yourself, but what benefits does that give her?

Excuse my lack of knowledge here!!!!!!!!!!!

Pray tell what does this imply:

Personally I think that my fiancé getting married to me (I don’t have such a high opinion of my self , just considering the opportunities available to her as a US citizen) is of greater value, than sinsod

Unquote.

She is not a US citizen and even if she gets married she is not. Unless you mean yourself, but what benefits does that give her?

Excuse my lack of knowledge here!!!!!!!!!!!

If you marry a US citizen you can apply for a green card, after living in the US after 5 (i think 5) years on the green your card you can apply for US citizenship.

And being a citizen of a first world country does have it's benefits, such as easy international travel, social security safety net etc...

I think your refusal to accept anecdotal comments really means you don't want to accept what others have previously written from personal experience...well they made their decisions based on what they could learn from various arenas.....you will have to do the same.....we as a forum cannot know your monetary worth.....the decisions are yours......but as you appear to be leaning towards no sinsod....or getting it back....well I would suggest if you wish to get the marriage off to a great start....start saving...... :)

My brother in law (Thai) recently has arranged sinsod (his Thai girlfriend is Uni ed and working) the agreement was reached by the parents and immediate family...

The price 80,000 baht.......not returned......not for show....for real......and when he has this money he can marry.... :D

You are expected to be much more affluent....so work it out... :D

good luck

That is of course if she wants to leave Thailand, if he plans to take her to America, then Sinsod will almost definitely not be returned in full, unless she sends her family money every month, as she might be their only source of income.

Also she must apply for a K3 Visa, and as like all Embassies a lot of paperwork and proof must be made available, and questions answered, and its time consuming. Is there also a test of English for people going to America?

Here a blog from another site ref this fact and what is required.

Now have to petition immigration for your wife's visa, known as the K-3. In all honesty, immigration might tell you 3-months, don't believe it for a minute, since Sept. 11th, it will take approx. 6 months start to finish, with good luck, before your wife is allowed to travel to the USA. It may very well be longer. I don't mean to discourage or disappoint you, I am being realistic.

The I-130 is only the beginning, you will also have to complete an "Affidavit of Support" showing that you are financially able to provide for your wife, and numerous other documents of biographical information. Immigration will provide the documents to you for completion in a step-by-step manner if you choose to do it yourself. After all the documents are finalized, your wife will then have to complete a physical examination to show she has no contagious diseases, including HIV, on which grounds she will be denied entry. She will be given her K-3 Visa and allowed entry into the USA. You will then have to do a few interviews together at the local INS office to prove you marriage is not a fraud. A child together, joint financial accounts, a mortgage in both names, etc. can help prove this. At any rate add your wife's name to any postal information (letters, utility bills, magazine subscriptions, etc.) that you can immediately upon her approval to the States, this helps prove that she does indeed reside with you as your wife. Ridiculous but it needs to be shown, you will thank me later.

She will not be able to work until she gets authorization to do so from the INS, now known as the US Citizenship & Immigration Services. They will provide her with a "work authorization card", but you will need to get your wife a Social Security number first. I can not recall how we applied for one but you can find that out simply by calling a SS office.

It is a time consuming and at times frustrating experience. An immigration lawyer can make the process immensely easier. Do not come back to the states without your wife if you can. I was separated from mine for 6 months, and it was incredibly difficult. If I could have, I would have waited until she was approved and then come here together.

Also one person on the same blog waited over 1 year for the I130 to get approved for his wife to be able to join him in America. Not in Bangkok I hasten to add

Edited by beano2274

He wants to know the right thing to do, so I will tell him.

He should give them a million baht, on display in purple cellophane with a ribbon at the wedding. Then he should have his wife take back 900,000 and they should put it in a dollar fund for future assistance and emergencies for her family.

Swelters

There is a reason the Issan ladies always express a desire to marry foreigners (Thai papers frequently poll). And a million baht payment for non movie star sure qualifies as gross over payment in my opinion - but OP does not want opinion; but in reality that is all we can provide. It should be the subject of discussion with your finance and her family. We will say between zero and the moon.

Edit - above was not about Swelters post as had not seen it - his post is reasonable but unlikely to be understood by most Thai I fear.

Edited by lopburi3

Thank you :D

FACT: You are going to pay one way or the other, Sinsod is just the up front way. :):D

They're all beautiful, some more than others. If you pay the Sin Sot I think you're lowering yourself. They stand to gain much from just having a farang as a son-in-law. I think they have a choice, Sin Sot now, or benefits over a period of time later. I never paid a Sin Sot, out of my choice, but I believe my MIL has received more from me otherwise over the years. But Thais think for the moment, and not the future, so they will want the Sin Sot now. Okay pay it if you want to, but after that give them jack shti(anagram). I chose to do it the other way round. It worked for me. Edited by coventry

Good luck

Good luck

His sinsot....100-200k MAX

Your sinsot..50-100k MAX

Her mother will keep 20%? :D

You are being conned dude. :)

My wife is from Bangkok, and there is no need for sinsod, but I am willing to pay the amount to show her family and friends, although we bought two condos after getting married and also have a car. Sinsod for me is culture, I will pay it, and I know I will not get all of it back, as her Mum will do the planning for the party and the Sinsod will pay for that, that is why I stated I will get 80% back.

If you want a Thai wife, accept the culture and be part of it, pay the sinsod, and enjoy life.

There are loads of topics about sinsod here on this site, read some not just the pinned ones and you might understand more, and see that although people pay a lot of sinsod they get their money back.

Edited by beano2274

Doesn't the sinsod depend on the girls beauty, wealth of family,if been married before,or has childen.

No sinsod required.

NB :)

Agree. My wife had been married before 2 children. Poor family No Beauty queen just avarage.

I gave her parents 10.000 Baht to help them refubish the roadside Noodle stall/ Cafe

The way I see it, I am offering their Daughter their grand-Children a better future, and I am not made of money.

What I have I had to work hard for. You have to ask yourself what would they get from another person.

I doubt my wife would get a better offer from a Thai I made it quite clear from the start It may be the Norm in Thailand But it's Not where I come from. I won't BUY a wife. No way would I give away 1/2 of my savings or even 1/4

As for giving it to get it back. If it dont come back then what. No Way would I go down that road.

If you can afford to goodby to it, That is allways a possibility OK up to you

I Will look after my wife and her Daughter, But I cannot suport her family If my wife gets her visa and we get to the Uk She gets a job and wants to help them out a little thats up to her.

I read the pined post of: Pinned: Sin Sod - An Explanation "PLEASE READ THIS FIRST"

And Now, I am more confused than ever. I understand the terms, and I know the cultural significance of it, but I still don't know what is appropriate, there are two posts in that thread , one say you always get it back , the other one say you don't get it back, which one is correct?? I love my fiancé, and I love her family, they are decent people and I want to do the right thing for her and her family. Personally I think that my fiancé getting married to me (I don't have such a high opinion of my self , just considering the opportunities available to her as a US citizen) is of greater value, than sinsod ,but I understand the need of her family to comply to their cultural norms. After all they have to live in their village and they need to be respected.

How old are you? That matters, I think.

I read the pined post of: Pinned: Sin Sod - An Explanation "PLEASE READ THIS FIRST"

And Now, I am more confused than ever. I understand the terms, and I know the cultural significance of it, but I still don't know what is appropriate, there are two posts in that thread , one say you always get it back , the other one say you don't get it back, which one is correct?? I love my fiancé, and I love her family, they are decent people and I want to do the right thing for her and her family. Personally I think that my fiancé getting married to me (I don't have such a high opinion of my self , just considering the opportunities available to her as a US citizen) is of greater value, than sinsod ,but I understand the need of her family to comply to their cultural norms. After all they have to live in their village and they need to be respected.

He wants to know the right thing to do, so I will tell him.

He should give them a million baht, on display in purple cellophane with a ribbon at the wedding. Then he should have his wife take back 900,000 and they should put it in a dollar fund for future assistance and emergencies for her family.

Swelters

To the OP, don't listen to this guy as he is a fool with his money.

Sinsod...A scam designed to lift as many Baht from your pocket as possible as well as set you up for a mindset of "caring " for the extended family ad infinitum.

Some how, my wife's parents (most likely through my wife) got the idea I was going to fork over 250,000 Bt sinsod. When I exploded this bubble, I was informed we were not welcome to have the ceremony at the family home & that I was not welcome to visit. What a loving & friendly people...makes me feel warm & fuzzy all over. I then informed my wife 2 can play this game & that the parents are not welcome in our house. "Cannot say that" & WW3 erupted. I offered to call off the wedding, but that was not a good idea either. In the end I offered to pay off a small loan the mother had. Mom is fine but Daddy was still pissed. Turns out he bought a butt load of stuff on credit knowing that the "mark" was getting ready to fork over big dough. By the way, I have never received 1 satangs worth of anything but grief & back stabbing from this family.

To change topics, I'm sorry...you say that being a citizen of a 1st world country has benefits...I guess it would if it were any country other than the US...Canada comes to mind, maybe.

Once you are a "US" citizen, you are liable to pay US INCOME TAXES to the US (IRS) as long as you live, no matter where in the world that you live. The good ole USA is only 1 of 2 countries in the ENTIRE WORLD that has this requirement. If you decide NOT to pay these taxes, Obama & his newly hired 800+ IRS Agents (hired specifically to hunt down offshore income & tax refusenicks) will come looking for you & may JAIL you for objecting to file a return & pay the tax owed, for services that you most likely will never use or need, as well as funding out of control social vote buying, I apologize, welfare, as well as wars that only make the world that you live in (assuming you don't live in the continental US) a more dangerous place. Such a deal...I want to pay more.

And forget about Social Security. It will be broke & bankrupt long before you or your wife ever qualify to collect one penny.

Personally. I feel the detriments out weigh the advantages...just my 25 Satangs worth.

Be careful what you wish for.....

Edited by Tagaa

My wife is from Bangkok, and there is no need for sinsod, but I am willing to pay the amount to show her family and friends, although we bought two condos after getting married and also have a car. Sinsod for me is culture, I will pay it, and I know I will not get all of it back, as her Mum will do the planning for the party and the Sinsod will pay for that, that is why I stated I will get 80% back.

If you want a Thai wife, accept the culture and be part of it, pay the sinsod, and enjoy life.

There are loads of topics about sinsod here on this site, read some not just the pinned ones and you might understand more, and see that although people pay a lot of sinsod they get their money back.

Utter rubbish, nice to see those who have been or are about to be scammed pass it off as culture.

My wifes family never asked for any sin sot and none was paid.

Then again my wife isnt from darkest Issan, as they say, up to you.

Btw Tagaa, excellent post, pity most will ignore it.

And forget about Social Security. It will be broke & bankrupt long before you or your wife ever qualify to collect one penny.

Dont say that please cuz now my son and I are collecting the SSA benefit here. (I dont want to hear a nightmare)

:D:):D :D

Utter rubbish, nice to see those who have been or are about to be scammed pass it off as culture.

Rubbish huh? How many Thai weddings have you been too? I have been to many and always seen

sinsod. Some people in here, when they take their wives or GF's back to the UK, expect them to adopt

the English culture, if that's the case then you should, whilst living here, accept Thai culture.

I talked about it to my wife tonight and she said that the sinsod I should pay will be 500,000baht, and I will have to let my mother in law keep 200,000 as she has helped us pay for our car. And I get the rest back. Oh my wife is from Bangkok.

Edited by beano2274

Rubbish huh? How many Thai weddings have you been too? I have been to many and always seen

sinsod. Some people in here, when they take their wives or GF's back to the UK, expect them to adopt

the English culture, if that's the case then you should, whilst living here, accept Thai culture.

I talked about it to my wife tonight and she said that the sinsod I should pay will be 500,000baht, and I will have to let my mother in law keep 200,000 as she has helped us pay for our car. And I get the rest back. Oh my wife is from Bangkok.

Well I didnt pay a sin sod, but I have no trouble with people that do it. Everyone does everything different. If people think they are getting scammed, then why the hel_l do they go through with it.

If my wife asked for sin sod I would not have refused. Our relationship was never about money.

Well I didnt pay a sin sod, but I have no trouble with people that do it. Everyone does everything different. If people think they are getting scammed, then why the hel_l do they go through with it.

If my wife asked for sin sod I would not have refused. Our relationship was never about money.

That is the way...why if others wish to pay, castigate them for a kindness......

I fail to understand why some people on this forum appear to wear the 'I paid no sinsod' badge with pride......then go on to say it is not culture......which means it didn't exist in the first place.....so what is to be proud about......that you chose not to pay something which doesn't exist....or perhaps........ could not afford it if it did!!!!

I would imagine the weddings you attended, if they were anything like the weddings I have attended, were mostly Thai/Thai, and from what I was told the sin sot was for ceremonial and display purposes only, with the majority being returned. Unlike the majority of cases involving farang marrying farmers daughters and being told its tradition etc etc, where the gullible farang doesnt have a clue as to what is taking place.

Please enlighten me as to which part of Thai culture I should accept,

My wife is from Bangkok, and there is no need for sinsod, are I believe your words not mine, I can assure you if I adopted aspects of Thai culture my wife would disown me, why would she want to marry a Farang with Thai ways, she didnt want a Thai with Thai ways.

You will be telling me next I should be taking care of some sort of extended family, another load of codswollop, but if some choose to accept it, up to them.

As for some people on here taking their wifes or girlfriends back to the Uk and embracing English culture, I am in no position to pass comment, I am not English, However from what I have observed many girls seem to be more than happy to be free of the shackles Thai society places on them and I know more than a few Thai women living abroad who have no desire to return to the glorious land of Thais.

These women have found a freedom that doesnt exist for them in Thailand, they arent judged by their family name,they arent looked down on for having dark skin, hard work is rewarded and they have freedoms and opportunities available to them they wouldnt enjoy here.

The women I am talking about have made a success of living in countries like America and Australia, and best of luck to them. My wife has lived worked and travelled outside of Thailand, and cant wait to leave here, I wont bother boring you with her views on the so called Thai culture you seem to suggest I should embrace, but neither my wife nor her mother would be over the moon if I were to resort to beating her, taking a mia noi or two, getting drunk every day, gambling all her money away, lets not forget lying cheating and stealing, how about throwing a bit of face into the equation?

Yes I am in no hurry to embrace what at times passes for culture, forum rules I suspect forbid me from mentioning other aspects that I am sure you are familiar with.

I accept the culture for what it is, oh my wife is also from Bangkok.