Chiangmai V Phuket

doppa

1] driving. no comparison whatsoever, if i heard one car horn all week , it must have been when he dropped his ciggy, the politeness and courtesey was refreshing, the speeds were reasonable, and the outer road system is excellent. traffic has its peaks and troughs, but what city doesnt.

2] immiediatly noticed how much more the thais were in there general politeness, even saying thankyou when holding a shop door open for them.

3] far less aggressive than their phuket counterparts, no where near in 'ye face' as phuket, even at the night bazzar

4] large selection of various houses, compounds to suit all different needs and pockets.

5] was very suprised to find how many thais spoke english, for some reason i thought it would have been the opposite.

6] no where near the amount of farangs around, [ although i know its the quiet season], not that i'm anti farang, just some of them, and i think we all know the type.

7] clean and tidy, in comparison, phuket is filthy.

8] as i expected being a city, it really feels as if theres a good sense of infrastructure, unlike phuket where basics are on the verge of collapse.

9] didn't meet one thai who wasn't born in chiangmai, unfortunately in phuket two thirds of the population are fom elsewhere, and couldnt give a toss about the island.

10] and yes we found a house, so by the end of this month we will have relocated, no doubt there will be some setbacks of one description or another, to be expected, but the natural beauty of the countryside i saw reminded me very much of country lanes in the uk.

so see you all at my hoose for a beer then.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been to Chiang Mai a few times and thoroughly enjoyed it. I have not been to Phuket so I don't really have a vote on this one.

However, I would be interested to hear the views from people in Phuket, who have also at least experienced Chiang Mai.

6] .... snip............not that i'm anti farang, just some of them, and i think we all know the type.

Shouldn't this sentence read: "not that i'm anti farang, just some of us, and i think we all know the type."?

In any case, welcome to Chiang Mai.

I've lived in Chiang Mai for about 2 years now and love it here. My wife & I have a very nice home east of the city near BoSang in a relatively new development. I have told all my friend back in the states that if they want to come to Thailand, come to C.M. Bangkok is nothing more than an Asian version of N.Y., Chicago, and L.A. The "tourist spots" such as Phuket, etc., are overpriced, overdone and basically ripoffs, and if they want to truly experience Thailand, the only place to come is C.M.

Welcome to the jewel of Thailand

I have a genuine question to the OP:

I agree completely with your assessment of Chiang Mai, however I am curious if you're talking about the whole of Phuket island, or a particular part of it such for example Patong. Did you spend most of your time in Patong, or near Phuket Town, or in villages in the middle?

In my VERY limited experience on Phuket, there are a lot more native people in Phuket Town and the villages than there are in Patpong et al, as you'd of course expect. Indeed I notice a big difference in friendlyness between those parts.

Phuket (the island/province) is a big place, and I'm not ready to dismiss the lot of it. I think if I were to live there I'd probably live near Phuket Town which always seemed very tidy to me, or possibly in villages near some of the lesser visited beaches, say in the Chalong Area.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I have a genuine question to the OP:

I agree completely with your assessment of Chiang Mai, however I am curious if you're talking about the whole of Phuket island, or a particular part of it such for example Patong. Did you spend most of your time in Patong, or near Phuket Town, or in villages in the middle?

In my VERY limited experience on Phuket, there are a lot more native people in Phuket Town and the villages than there are in Patpong et al, as you'd of course expect. Indeed I notice a big difference in friendlyness between those parts.

Phuket (the island/province) is a big place, and I'm not ready to dismiss the lot of it. I think if I were to live there I'd probably live near Phuket Town which always seemed very tidy to me, or possibly in villages near some of the lesser visited beaches, say in the Chalong Area.

yes of course the further you go inland the people become more friendly, however it seems to be a general agreement that northern thailand folk have a lot more time , patience and politeness overall.

we lived in patong for the first 4 yrs, we then moved to chalong which is virtually between patong and rawai, for want of a better description, we rented our appt in patong for a year, because i wanted to see if it was patong, or phuket that was driving me nuts, and after a year renting in chalong i came to the conclusion it was phuket.

the beaches on the west coast, ie kata, karon, patong, kalim, and further up the island naithon, should and could be some of the best in the world, but unfortunately there not, they yet to have a system in place like most european resorts where the beaches are actually cleaned on a nightly / early morning basis, therefore debris lies scattered around from, tourists and thais alike.and considering that phuket is one of the highest revenue earners for thailand, this sought of investment for me just makes common sense, theres not really beaches on the east side to talk about, the west side has them all.

even way up the island , in the national park area which is a most stunning part of the island, the debris is just awful, the thais have little or no idea that leaving food cartons, plastic bags etc,not only damages the enviroment but it appears they just don't care, let alone how this can put off tourists, i'm afraid it all boils down to education, and phuket for me is just an overgrown village, where the mentality of a lot of thai/ european is of similiar quality, bad.

phuket town is probably the cleanest area of them all, and you can most times get what you need, it has a very french look to it, due to the settlement of the french here few hundred years ago, and this is where the word 'farang' developed, the locals couldnt say either france or french and it ended up'farang', believe it or not.

but because of the massive explosion of building, the infrastructure just cannot cope with demand,and NEVER will, when i used to live in patong, we lived on a hill overlooking patong and the ocean, beautiful view, beautiful appt, but unfortunately no govt. water, for 5months, why , because the water authorities would turn the actual pressure down, if the level dropped below a certain point in the resovoir,and because we lived on a hill, the pressure wasn't sufficient to go up the incline,we had to order water trucks 4/5 times a month , to fill the appt.water tanks, with untreated lake water at a cost of 1200b a go, i could go on about the serious problem of refuse, electric etc, but i think iv'e made my point.

the times ive visited the water authorities they basically just lied to us, over and over again, broken pipe, faulty valves, and all along i discovered it was due to one thing, water pressure.it's an island for christs sake, build 6/7 desalinisation plants and your problem is solved for ever, so far theyve built one, and no one seems to know if its operative yet.

unfortunaly for phuket, each elected govenor spends his/her 4/5 yr term making their 'bit', and each time theres a new govenor, the whole process starts over

the road system isnt to bad, but if the growth continues at 10% a year, in 5 to 10 yrs it will be like bangkok, and if they dont try and change the approach to make it a more family orientated resort, i'm afraid it will end up like pattya, but i'm afraid it wont change there aggresive nature driving, hideously dangerous.

the island may seem quite large, and i suppose if you wanted to live in one of the more remote areas, you can certainly do that, but within the next 20yrs, the land will have run out, if the growth continues at the pace it has , over the last 6 yrs which of course it wont, due to the world recession, but it appears to me that , although the pace of new bulding projects has slowed, it hasnt completely come to a standstill, where they think there going to get new buyers from i have no idea.

great for a 3 week holiday in a nice hotel, with people at your beckon call, living there completely and utterley a different proposition

im afraid theres only one king here and thats money.

sorry to go on so long, these are my own thoughts, and i'm sure some folk have totally opposite views, usually though ones who've only lived there for a year.

phuket town is probably the cleanest area of them all, and you can most times get what you need, it has a very french look to it, due to the settlement of the french here few hundred years ago, and this is where the word 'farang' developed, the locals couldnt say either france or french and it ended up'farang', believe it or not.

Nothing to do with the French. It's called Sino-Portuguese architecture. The Straits Chinese that settled here in Phuket, brought it with them.

The finest example of this Sino-Portuguese architecture can be seen in Malacca.

So how polluted is the air up there during the burning season? Isn't it comparable to Mexico City?

I do feel OP has hit a lot of the problems about Phuket fairly, but if you're a beach person like myself, CM is not an option.

Unfortunately it is pretty bad during the burning season blocking out the views i have of the surrounding mountains by covering them in a haze

It is the only minus point i can think of about the area.

If it doesn't not affect your judgment it might affect your health (in the long term)

Cancer rates in CM and the north that have been mentioned are relatively high compared to the rest of the kingdom

Sorry CM but it is a fact

Nothing to do with the French. It's called Sino-Portuguese architecture. The Straits Chinese that settled here in Phuket, brought it with them.

The finest example of this Sino-Portuguese architecture can be seen in Malacca.

that sounds are far more reasonable answer, just what i read.

So how polluted is the air up there during the burning season? Isn't it comparable to Mexico City?

I do feel OP has hit a lot of the problems about Phuket fairly, but if you're a beach person like myself, CM is not an option.

ive always prefered the countryside, havn't been in the ocean down here for 7mths, so it's not important to me.

I recently moved to CM after 14 years in Phuket, and I totally agree with Doppa's 10 points. I think I am quite qualified when I say that Phuket has grown into a complete cesspool.

Back in the mid-90's it used to be a really nice place and had a lot of potential of becoming a world class resort. But after the Asian crisis, it all went downhill. The place has no longer any resemblance to Thai culture. Like Doppa said, the only thing that counts is money and there is a constant competition between both thais and farangs to rip each other off in new and innovative ways.

Despite calling Phuket my home for almost half of my life, I felt like coming home when we moved to CM. Wifey is from CM, so she was if course delighted to move back to her hometown. The biggest change was however in my 3 kids that are born in Phuket. From being quite introverted and shy, the have totally blossomed after we relocated here. Chiang Mai is as close to perfect as you can get, it has an aura of genuine kindness and culture. It really is the true Thailand and that has reflected the overall wellness of my family.

Beaches are not really important to me so the transition was easy. For families with kids, I strongly recommend moving to to CM. The amount of activities here and the general attitude of their peers is incomparable to Phuket.

The only drawback about CM is the air pollution during March, but I rather live with 1 month of bad air than 12 months of pure kee kwai. :D

Well, enough Phuket-bashing for today. You get the point. :)

Maybe some of you ex-phuketians wanna meet up for a beer sometime and exchange experiences?

I recently moved to CM after 14 years in Phuket, and I totally agree with Doppa's 10 points. I think I am quite qualified when I say that Phuket has grown into a complete cesspool.

Back in the mid-90's it used to be a really nice place and had a lot of potential of becoming a world class resort. But after the Asian crisis, it all went downhill. The place has no longer any resemblance to Thai culture. Like Doppa said, the only thing that counts is money and there is a constant competition between both thais and farangs to rip each other off in new and innovative ways.

Despite calling Phuket my home for almost half of my life, I felt like coming home when we moved to CM. Wifey is from CM, so she was if course delighted to move back to her hometown. The biggest change was however in my 3 kids that are born in Phuket. From being quite introverted and shy, the have totally blossomed after we relocated here. Chiang Mai is as close to perfect as you can get, it has an aura of genuine kindness and culture. It really is the true Thailand and that has reflected the overall wellness of my family.

Beaches are not really important to me so the transition was easy. For families with kids, I strongly recommend moving to to CM. The amount of activities here and the general attitude of their peers is incomparable to Phuket.

The only drawback about CM is the air pollution during March, but I rather live with 1 month of bad air than 12 months of pure kee kwai. :D

Well, enough Phuket-bashing for today. You get the point. :)

Maybe some of you ex-phuketians wanna meet up for a beer sometime and exchange experiences?

actually i had the same feeling that i wanted to move back to blighty, but was prepared to give chiangmai/thailand a go, now using the phrase 'wifey' may suggest that your from my neck of the woods, tyneside.

would luv to have a beer when we get settled in.

There are no beaches in Chiang Mai, but there ARE places nearby to get wet, besides songkran that is.

Barcelona_off_cliff.jpg

Oh_at_the_falls.jpg

Bom_friend_3.jpg

ian that last pic, with obviously your '2 nieces', is that lake decent for fishing, i mentioned it a while ago to you, and still is the real one thing i miss, fly fishing.

Oh_at_the_falls.jpg

Bom_friend_3.jpg

ian that last pic, with obviously your '2 nieces', is that lake decent for fishing, i mentioned it a while ago to you, and still is the real one thing i miss, fly fishing.

It's amazing how many lovely "nieces" I have in Thailand. :):D:D

I have seen the locals fishing every time I've visited that little lake. How good it is I have no idea. I fish other reservoirs in Thailand and do quite well. If you miss fly fishing then just contact my friend Jon. He has all the connections.

Unfortunately it is pretty bad during the burning season blocking out the views i have of the surrounding mountains by covering them in a haze

It is the only minus point i can think of about the area.

If it doesn't not affect your judgment it might affect your health (in the long term)

Cancer rates in CM and the north that have been mentioned are relatively high compared to the rest of the kingdom

Sorry CM but it is a fact

You are quite correct in that the incidence of lung cancer in Chiang Mai is comparatively high compared to the national average. According to what I have managed to find (and understand :) ) of research into the matter, air pollution does however seem to not be the cause of this (or at least a very minor cause). This conclusion is also supported by the fact that areas with much higher pollution levels (be it daily maximums or yearly averages), such as Sara Buri or central Bangkok, do not show these higher levels of lung cancer incidence. According to some specific research into the causes of lung cancer in Chiang Mai, it appears that the causes are related to indoor pollution, rather than the ambient air quality. (One cause is apparently a fungus, Microsporum canis, that occurs fairly frequently indoors in parts of CM province.)

This said, Chiang Mai does have a yearly peak of air pollution (particulate matter) from about mid-February through March that can be very unpleasant and obviously constitute a health risk for those with pre-existing conditions, such as asthma.

/ Priceless

Edited by Priceless

actually i had the same feeling that i wanted to move back to blighty, but was prepared to give chiangmai/thailand a go, now using the phrase 'wifey' may suggest that your from my neck of the woods, tyneside.

would luv to have a beer when we get settled in.

I am actually from a place that is locally referred to as Saa-weeden. :)

Me too miss fly fishing, so PM me once you get settled. Beer, fly fishing topped with some Phuket-bashing. Can't wait.

Chiang Mai gets my vote. Phuket was nice ten years ago but it has all the hallamarks of why I wouldn't want to live there now. I had a house in Phuket and although the beach aspect is nice, the prices are absurd to say the least. I contantly felt ripped off. Taxi's, long tail fish boats, trips, restauarants. I am no cheap charlie but when its more expenisive sometiems than London you have to question it.As for pollution....yes Chiang mai has its share but where doesn't these days. Check the latest figures for European cities. There are many alot worse than Chiang Mai for sure. Chiang Mai is now where I have a home and very happy although I go to Phuket and Bangkok when I feel I want a change. Alot going for it and much to do.

Chiang Mai gets my vote. Phuket was nice ten years ago but it has all the hallamarks of why I wouldn't want to live there now. I had a house in Phuket and although the beach aspect is nice, the prices are absurd to say the least. I contantly felt ripped off. Taxi's, long tail fish boats, trips, restauarants. I am no cheap charlie but when its more expenisive sometiems than London you have to question it.As for pollution....yes Chiang mai has its share but where doesn't these days. Check the latest figures for European cities. There are many alot worse than Chiang Mai for sure. Chiang Mai is now where I have a home and very happy although I go to Phuket and Bangkok when I feel I want a change. Alot going for it and much to do.

I have to agree what you say about the pollution i suppose it worried me last year i had a motorcycle accident and had some x rays done only to be told i had a cloud on the upper part of my lung which they needed to do some more tests well the immediate thing came in to my mind that of it being cancer but it turned out to be TB (Nothing to do with the bike accident but if had not been for the accident...) i was so relieved believe me, any way i seriously thought about moving out of CM but in the end i could not really think of any where else i would like to stay and my partner is from Issan and she loves it here, respectable folk respectable prices and a respectable climate regarding mornng and evening temperatures during some of the if i can call it winter months. never thought i would buy a heater in Thaialnd or needed to wear a jacket on a motorcycle.or see early morning Mist.

CM Love it

I am actually from a place that is locally referred to as Saa-weeden. :)

Me too miss fly fishing, so PM me once you get settled. Beer, fly fishing topped with some Phuket-bashing. Can't wait.

No need to give up fly fishing if you live near Chiang Mai. There are several pay for play ponds within a half hour, and if you are willing to start early and finish late there are several reservoirs worth fishing. You just won't find trout or salmon. But, local species like Mekong catfish, jungle perch and snakeheads are common.

fly_caught_snakehead_1_Em.sized.jpg

Ian_with_Pla_Buk_1.sized.jpg

Mae_Kuang_reservoir_3.jpg

Ian_with_jungle_perch_1_Em.sized.jpg

Check out Dream Park fishing resort just outside Chiang Mai. They have a variety of species.

Dream_park_2.jpg