Chiangmai V Phuket

doppa

Personally I enjoy waking up to this view everyday as opposed to mountains (when the air is clean) and a city.

Yes, there is more to Phuket than Patong beach...

Phuket_014.jpg

Phuket_036.jpg

But Phuket is over priced by any compared standards in Thailand. And, Patong is where most tourists wind up when they don't know any better. It's main street is low class sleeze even by Pattaya standards and everything costs twice as much. I couldn't even find a Thai meal of Kow Pad for under 100 baht.

Patong_street_2.jpg

the never ending question, do pictures tell lies, or is it pictures dont tell lies, beneath the beauty of a single frame lies an underworld of neverending problems.

I have never understood why expats on this board find the need to bark and complain about the place they just left in Thailand having found a new home somewhere else in the same country. You couldn't afford to live in Phuket, you got tired of Phuket, you decided after time that you don't really like Phuket, sort it all out in your own world and stop trying to influence others unnecessarily because you're doing little else here than showing how limited your tolerance for the country really is - let's speak again in say three years when you've "discovered" the real CM and identified all of its potential faults.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have never understood why expats on this board find the need to bark and complain about the place they just left in Thailand having found a new home somewhere else in the same country. You couldn't afford to live in Phuket, you got tired of Phuket, you decided after time that you don't really like Phuket, sort it all out in your own world and stop trying to influence others unnecessarily because you're doing little else here than showing how limited your tolerance for the country really is - let's speak again in say three years when you've "discovered" the real CM and identified all of its potential faults.

How true! I think that if you go back through your own posts, you'll find quite a lot of "barking and complaining" about Chiang Mai, the town you left (IIRC) in mid-2007.

/ Priceless

Personally I enjoy waking up to this view everyday as opposed to mountains (when the air is clean) and a city.

Phuket_014.jpg

Phuket_036.jpg

But Phuket is over priced by any compared standards in Thailand. And, Patong is where most tourists wind up when they don't know any better. It's main street is low class sleeze even by Pattaya standards and everything costs twice as much. I couldn't even find a Thai meal of Kow Pad for under 100 baht.

Patong_street_2.jpg

the never ending question, do pictures tell lies, or is it pictures dont tell lies, beneath the beauty of a single frame lies an underworld of neverending problems.

never said i didnt like it, was only pointing out the huge flaws, as i will probably some in chiangmai, [ please also advise me on how i can spot a potential fault, a faults a fault, a potential fault hasnt happened]

but its the people that make town /citys great, and i'm sorry to say that the vast majority in most areas of phuket are only there to fleece the farang, and one another,with the farang trying to outsmart the thais, it should have been the jewel in thailands crown,but it hasn't and never will it be,which is a great shame, because undoubtably the island had fantastic potential

people will make their own mind up with regards to influence, i was simply passing on my experiences to anyone who cared to read it, i'm not conceited enough to think that people wont visit the island, simply by reading my remarks

i have sorted it out, i decided that phuket was not the place for me, and my family, it's no place to raise a young child, and all the other reasons ive mentioned

my tolerance levels were stretched to the limit , my patience worn to frazzell, and most of the people i talk too, who've been around for a while feel the same, your turn will arrive, you cannot escape it, it's unique to phuket, island fever will hit you.

and next time you reply to me with a symbol/ emotion, be a bit more creative, because if thats your best , then you and phuket deserve each other, even better lets not speak at all, you've got your ideas, iv'e got mine. :)

I've been in Phuket for 11 years, have a family and I'm not out to fleece anyone, but rather to enjoy a good life :). I know a lot of others that have been here longer than I have and they have the same outlook.  I guess it really depends on the circles and types of people you choose to interact with.

How true! I think that if you go back through your own posts, you'll find quite a lot of "barking and complaining" about Chiang Mai, the town you left (IIRC) in mid-2007.

/ Priceless

True, but only ever in respect of one specific health related issue, extreme air pollution during the burning season, the OP however seems to have a problem with virtually every aspect of Phuket from infrastructure, crime rates, high costs and on to the rate of transmission of sexual disease! If you can identify any other negative remark I have ever made about Chiang Mai, I will be most pleased for you to humiliate me here!

I've been in Phuket for 11 years, have a family and I'm not out to fleece anyone, but rather to enjoy a good life :) . I know a lot of others that have been here longer than I have and they have the same outlook. I guess it really depends on the circles and types of people you choose to interact with.

good for you.

/ Priceless

True, but only ever in respect of one specific health related issue, extreme air pollution during the burning season, the OP however seems to have a problem with virtually every aspect of Phuket from infrastructure, crime rates, high costs and on to the rate of transmission of sexual disease! If you can identify any other negative remark I have ever made about Chiang Mai, I will be most pleased for you to humiliate me here!

All is forgiven. Come home.

/ Priceless

All is forgiven. Come home.

I did, I was there three days ago for one night and I picked up a head cold in the process, first time I've been unwell in the two years since I left! But I don't blame this on CM of course, I blame it more perhaps on bad karma from Priceless, (which is also just a joke of course). :)

you've got your ideas, iv'e got mine. :D

I'll take it as a complement that you end your last post on this subject with the same sentiment that I started my fist, "Each to his own I suppose".

:)

6] .... snip............not that i'm anti farang, just some of them, and i think we all know the type.

Shouldn't this sentence read: "not that i'm anti farang, just some of us, and i think we all know the type."?

In any case, welcome to Chiang Mai.

grammar-nazi-club.gif

~Grammar-Nazi-Club

A good site or at least it was, hasn't it closed down now Ulysses? :)

Thanks for the photos, Kan win. It puts in perspective another place in Thailand that I haven't visited.

Where is Kan located in relationship to Bangkok? From the photos it looks to be west. :D

I'm a picture person (as others on tv already know) and I have thousands of photos in my various forum galleries. People can describe in words what a place is like, but until you actually see a photo you don't really understand. After that it's just a case of learning the area on a more personal level. Everyone has different tastes and no one place is perfect for everything. However, spending a holiday in one place is far different than living somewhere year-round. I enjoy my fishing and hunting trips, but I certainly wouldn't want to live in the wilderness... but some people can.

You 'IanForbes' wrote:- http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Kanchanaburi...ok-t268231.html

Further to the other good advice already given, understand that there is a NEW Southern bus station than the old one that is closer to Bangkok. The older bus station also has trips to Kanchanburi, but they take the slow route and stop everywhere along the way. The NEW southern bus station is much larger and further west by several kilometers. If Don Muang airport is still operating for domestic flights then that's the place to fly to from Chiang Mai. I heard Don Muang was supposed to be closing down. It's much further from Suvarnaboomcrash. If you decide to take a taxi from Don Muang to the new southern bus station then be sure to explain that to the taxi driver. I was once taken to the older bus station by mistake and it took me 4 hours to reach Kanchanaburi. Because the southern bus station is a bit out of town the taxi can stay on main highways to circumvent the worse traffic in the down town core. I think it only cost me 250 baht for the taxi from Don Muang to the southern bus terminal.

As already stated, you have to buy your tickets upstairs on the 3rd floor and then carry you bags all the way back down. The lower two floors are for food sales and merchandise. It was designed that way to force people to buy something. The platform you leave from is behind the terminal from the main entrance.

I normally stay at the VL Lodge which is a nice guest house that serves OK meals. It is on the main road towards the famous bridge, and only 5 minutes from the Kanchanaburi bus terminal. The room rates are about 400 baht with air conditioning. It is almost next door to my favourite pub... The 4 Nines, owned by a pleasant Scot.

It makes a good center for travel to other destinations. Be sure to take the day trip to Mt Erawan waterfalls.

Thank you for your ........................Bull <deleted>. " It puts in perspective another place in Thailand that I haven't visited. "

Kan Win, frigging speachless :D after 'IanForbes' Kharp :)

I think every place has its pros and cons, no doubt. I just thought that the observations Doppa made about Phuket, compared to Chiang Mai, were spot on what I felt myself. If Phuket works for you, thats great. I will always have a soft spot for that place since its been my home for such a long time. I think the reason we get tired of a place is because its changes into a direction that does not fit with out initial perception of that very place. That's what happen to me and my experience with Phuket, and I am sure its not a one-fits-them-all-experience.

Phuket is still beautiful on the surface, but once you dig a little deeper you will find its quite artificial. Chiang Mai is by no means perfect, and I am sure I will find faults as I go along here. But that's the beauty of discovering a new culture, country and people. I do keep my stance that families with kids would do better off in Chiang Mai than Phuket, without a doubt.

Everything else is about taste and preferences.

Thank you for your ........................Bull <deleted>. " It puts in perspective another place in Thailand that I haven't visited. "

Kan Win, frigging speachless :D after 'IanForbes' Kharp :D

Kan Win, you wouldn't be referring to IanForbes post no5 by any chance?.

:)

What bull <deleted>? I asked you a simple question... "Where is Kan?"

I can't find "Kan" on any map I have, nor can I find it in any travel book.

I didn't realize your lazyness by typing "Kan" meant you were referring to "Kanchanaburi". I don't type "u" when I mean "you" and I wouldn't type "Kan" if I meant "Kanchanaburi". I've spent months roaming around Kanchanaburi, but I certainly haven't seen everywhere. I just didn't recognize that lake photo you took. I was complimenting you on your photos and you come back with a nasty reply. Your nasty comment puts you in a different perspective in my personal estimation. I don't post photos of places I haven't been and I don't use other people's photos unless I have authorization. I try to add something positive to anything I post and never make nasty comments about anyone.

Sawatdee Krap, Khun Orang37, Monsieur Hulot,

May I humbly request that you guys consider the PM function?

And, to keep this safely distanced from the original topic, may I ask ChiangMai and Doppa:

Do we really need to see Ian Forbes' photos - nice as they are - posted three times?

Even if you have bandwidth to spare, why?

Your humble servant in the quest for an excellent forum,

a

You make a very good point, but it has to do with the operating system that Thaivisa uses. In most forums when you reply using a quote that has pictures you only see the "properties" in your reply and it's easy to delete them. You can't do that with Thaivisa. Now when I want to reply I just cut and paste the typed portion separately and put my own quote brackets around them. I agree with you; there is no need to see a continued display of the same photos.

Ian, et al, let's see how this works. I am replying to your post with photos.

Using windows I right-click on each photo and choose "cut".

Thanks for your contributions.

I didn't realize your lazyness by typing "Kan" meant you were referring to "Kanchanaburi". I don't type "u" when I mean "you" and I wouldn't type "Kan" if I meant "Kanchanaburi". I've spent months roaming around Kanchanaburi, but I certainly haven't seen everywhere. I just didn't recognize that lake photo you took. I was complimenting you on your photos and you come back with a nasty reply. Your nasty comment puts you in a different perspective in my personal estimation. I don't post photos of places I haven't been and I don't use other people's photos unless I have authorization. I try to add something positive to anything I post and never make nasty comments about anyone.

IanForbes. I was replying to a post from Kan Win which you have just commented on which had nothing to do with the present topic of Chiang Mai v Phuket somehow it seems to have transposed itself onto this post.

I think Kan Win was referring to a post by you on the topic of Kanchanaburi in relation to... I think your post No 5, something about you never having visited Kan before but posting on your No5 recommending certain places to catch a bus, and stay?, check it out as I think perhaps the mistake stems from the misunderstanding of the word Kan= Kanchanaburi, hope this clears things a little.

Wacky. :D

IanForbes. I was replying to a post from Kan Win which you have just commented on which had nothing to do with the present topic of Chiang Mai v Phuket somehow it seems to have transposed itself onto this post.

I think Kan Win was referring to a post by you on the topic of Kanchanaburi in relation to... I think your post No 5, something about you never having visited Kan before but posting on your No5 recommending certain places to catch a bus, and stay?, check it out as I think perhaps the mistake stems from the misunderstanding of the word Kan= Kanchanaburi, hope this clears things a little.

I think this thread has proved beyond doubt that if posters want to fight and be argumentative about absolutely nothing at all they will find a way to do so regardless.

May I humbly request that, from now on, you refer to me as Monsieur Hulot, M. Hulot or Khun Hulot but NOT Khun M. Hulot or Khun Monsieur Hulot? I'm allergic to useless repetitions . . .

Monsieur Hulot

Sawadee krap, Khun Hulot,

You have presented me with a puzzle that befuddles me, and with respect to which I write now to ask for your assistance.

I had always thought that you were using 'Monsieur Hulot', in its entirety, as your name here. I had not understood that you meant to use 'Monsieur' as a title of respect corresponding to 'Khun'. My befuddlement is over this: if the 'Monsieur' in 'Monsieur Hulot' is a title of respect, and not a part of your name itself, how is it that it is appropriate to sign a post (or letter or what have you) as 'Monsieur Hulot'? Is it, as a matter of French usage, correct to show such a sign of respect toward oneself? :)

Yours very respectfully, as always,

Rasseru

I think this thread has proved beyond doubt that if posters want to fight and be argumentative about absolutely nothing at all they will find a way to do so regardless.

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun Chiang Mai,

Now isn't this a fine kettle of repeatedly-posted-fish photographs : I thought quibbling was what we were all here for, and that topics were just kind of like goalposts for the game.

~o:37;

p.s. I think CmDream's comments on using PM were right on, and stated in a very constructive way, and I now feel that human emotion "guilt" just writing this.

p.s.p.s. just to dig myself in a little deeper : did you know that in the 18th. century of the Christian calendar the word "quibble" meant word-play or punning or verbal elaborateness ? Here is Samuel Johnson himself in his 1765 preface to his edition of Shakespeare's works :

""A quibble is to Shakespeare, what luminous vapours are to the

traveller; he follows it at all adventures; it is sure to lead him out

of his way, and sure to engulf him in the mire. It has some malignant

power over his mind, and its fascinations are irresistible. Whatever

be the dignity or profundity of his disquisition, whether he be

enlarging knowledge or exalting affection, whether he be amusing

attention with incidents, or enchaining it in suspense, let but a

quibble spring up before him, and he leaves his work unfinished. A

quibble is the golden apple for which he will always turn aside from

his career, or stoop from his elevation. A quibble, poor and barren as

it is, gave him such delight, that he was content to purchase it, by

the sacrifice of reason, propriety and truth. A quibble was to him the

fatal Cleopatra for which he lost the world, and was content to lose

it."

full preface is here : https://tspace.library.utoronto.ca/html/180...yprose274e.html

p.s.p.s.p.s. I worship Shakespeare (as well as Chaucer, Dante, Rabelais, and Cervantes, and Hugo) and could not disagree more with cantankerous old Johnson.

Is it, as a matter of French usage, correct to show such a sign of respect toward oneself? :)

Different answers, pick the one you like:

- No, it isn't and I stand corrected. But, as the saying goes, nobody stands taller than those willing to stand corrected.

- No, it isn't. It was just meant to emphasize my humility.

- No, it isn't but nobody had noticed.

- No, it isn't. Next time we meet, I'll buy you a drink with my own money.

- No, it isn't and I am very proud to have such a learned friend.

- Geez! You have nothing else to do?

- Choose the field of honour. Our seconds will sort out the details.

- No, it isn't.

- I need coffee.

hulot

Is it, as a matter of French usage, correct to show such a sign of respect toward oneself? :)

Different answers, pick the one you like:

. . .

No, it isn't, but it ought to be, in my case. No one should be forced to feign indifference to such greatness.

. . .

hulot

That's the one I like and pick. :D

Edited by Rasseru

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun Chiang Mai,

Now isn't this a fine kettle of repeatedly-posted-fish photographs : I thought quibbling was what we were all here for, and that topics were just kind of like goalposts for the game.

p.s. I think CmDream's comments on using PM were right on, and stated in a very constructive way, and I now feel that human emotion "guilt" just writing this.

p.s.p.s. just to dig myself in a little deeper : did you know that in the 18th. century of the Christian calendar the word "quibble" meant word-play or punning or verbal elaborateness ? Here is Samuel Johnson himself in his 1765 preface to his edition of Shakespeare's works :

""A quibble is to Shakespeare, what luminous vapours are to the

traveller; he follows it at all adventures; it is sure to lead him out

of his way, and sure to engulf him in the mire. It has some malignant

power over his mind, and its fascinations are irresistible. Whatever

be the dignity or profundity of his disquisition, whether he be

enlarging knowledge or exalting affection, whether he be amusing

attention with incidents, or enchaining it in suspense, let but a

quibble spring up before him, and he leaves his work unfinished. A

quibble is the golden apple for which he will always turn aside from

his career, or stoop from his elevation. A quibble, poor and barren as

it is, gave him such delight, that he was content to purchase it, by

the sacrifice of reason, propriety and truth. A quibble was to him the

fatal Cleopatra for which he lost the world, and was content to lose

it."

full preface is here : https://tspace.library.utoronto.ca/html/180...yprose274e.html

p.s.p.s.p.s. I worship Shakespeare (as well as Chaucer, Dante, Rabelais, and Cervantes, and Hugo) and could not disagree more with cantankerous old Johnson.

All much ado about nothing, I suspect!

BTW, just as an aside, I think it's written PPS and PPPS and not PSPS PSPSPS, not a criticism just a learning point.

Thank you 'wackysleet' for understanding my post. :D and clearing things up for me.

To 'IanForbes' my sincere apologies for 'BS ' in me post :D , not my style at all, but you did leave yourself open to this as I did say in my Post #3

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Kanchanaburi...ok-t268231.html

1. Take a taxi to Kan 1,500 - 2500 Baht approx

and you posted in this thread #5 so my thinking was that your knew where "Kan" was.

Where is

Be sure to take the day trip to Mt Erawan waterfalls
BTW where is this Mt= Mountain :D in Kan

Hence my thinking was 'Well he has been here before and now tells 'Pork Pies' on this thread. :)

As Surat (Surat Thani) is also short, Petchup (PetchupKiriKhan) Pet for (Petchubri), Rat is for (Ratchaburi) and many more places in Thailand for Thais and most Non-Thais that live here. I have seldom hear a Thai referring to Kan as Kanchanaburi :D

Muang Kan, Yes.

Hope you understand why I posted what I did.

Kan = Kanchanaburi is half way from Phuket to Chiang Mai.

Now let get back onto the topic at hand shall we. :D

Yours truly,

Kan-chanaburi Win :D

Apology accepted, Kan win. No hard feelings on my part and thank you for the explanation. I'd still like to know what lake that is in your photo. It looks like a nice place to take the kids I support. There are a few huge reservoirs in Kanchanaburi and fishing can be quite good if you have a boat. But you need to get away from the more accessible areas. There are also some lovely, clear mountain rivers, but most are well off the beaten track. It's crazy going miles down some long reservoir and thinking you are getting into the wilderness, then you come around a corner and find a floating village supported on bamboo rafts.

You CM people are hilarious. I didn't know language tutorials were included in this forum :)

We are all helping each other find our brains here; for some of us they are located in our heads.

championfisherman120-2.jpeg