Anyone Been To Ubon?

billyboy

I've been to Ubon, Udon, Khon Kaen, Yasothon, Nong Khai, Mukdahan, Buriram, Korat, etc etc.

They're not all that interesting, just nondescript ugly big towns. though I quite liked Roi Et and Chiang Khan, they have some charm.

It does keep the conversation going one nanosecond longer if you can say to some rural waif - 'oh i've been there' - but then you have to lie and say it was nice.

Ubon is ok,  Mekhong and Mun rivers meet close by and you can rent a bungalow on the river bank.

Yes that was what Moog was writing about when he said Chiang Khan.

A nice place to do nothing for a couple of days.

Nearby are the prehistoric cliff paintings IF that interests you.

Also you can take a boat across the river to Laos without a visa and visit a village

which sells all sorts of things including some special tobacco.

Ubon is ok,  Mekhong and Mun rivers meet close by and you can rent a bungalow on the river bank.

Also you can take a boat across the river to Laos without a visa and visit a village

Chiang Khan is in Loei.

Khong Chiam in Ubon is where the Maekong and Mun Rivers meet.

I have been in Ubon for the past month (visiting daughter and grandchildren) and the best news is that it hasn't rained. There is nothing to do, nowhere to go and very little to see.

When I get too pissed off with Ubon I take the bus to Mukdahan (3 Hrs). At least there is a reasonable Indo-Chinese market there and the Mekong river looks good over a glass of beer.

If you have to come, then catch a No. 2 Songthiew from the railway station to the TAT office. In my experience it is one of the better ones.

Chiang Khan is in Loei.

Sorry you are absolutely correct.

For some reason I get those two mixed up, both are on my list of favourites.

No problem. Took me a while to mentally place different towns.

Nakhon Pathom and Nakhon Phanom

Udon and Ubon

Chantaburi and Kanchanburi

Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai

Petchabun and Petchburi

Just don't mention to me somewhere in the north that begins with 'Mae'. It'll take me a good ten seconds to visualise where it is on my mind's map of Thailand.

:o

There is one fairly interesting time to be in Ubon as a tourist. - For the candle festival usually sometime in the first half of July...

(If you go to Ubon airport they have one of the previous winning floats in the main hall)

Also quite like one of the restaurants on the river where you go out into the river onto a floating hut. (Keeps away ants, etc. and there's generally a breeze).

Edited by bkk_mike

I will be coming back to thailand this week.i have been all over thailand but now i want to go some places interesting.Anyone know about UBON RATCHATHANI ?

I WANT TO GO THERE BUT I DONT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT IT.

I had a Thai lady friend take me around Ubon on motorbike, we saw one Wat that had a giant elephant statue as the gate, you enter under its legs. ANother one was near water and the main building was shaped like a boat, there was a boat statue with life-size rower statues in it. We went to the floating restauant, no tables but you have a private thatched raft, they bring the food out, inexpensive. We also went swimming at a park with rapids and a water fall. NEar Robinsons was a nice karaoke, the girls were the most beautiful in Thailand, they could sing too!

Chiang Khan is in Loei.

We spent a few days in the Resort at Khong Chiam,and regardless of what Moog said there is loads to do around that area. OK if you like sitting on a busy street,getting sh1t faced then paying a bar fine and falling in bed with a local lovely,then there's nothing to do. But if you like travelling national parks,eating spicy food a hundreds yards out in a lake,looking at rock paintings,seeing the two coloured river,walking among the mushroom rocks,watching the first sun-rise in Thailand( although the advertising board says the first sun-set),relaxing on the banks of the great Mekhong,transversing the said river in a long tailed boat,looking at the Moon River suspension bridges,rapids and dams,taking pictures of the white Wat,in other words getting away from it all,then yes there is a lot to do. :o

There's plenty to see and do in that part of Issan if you like to gain new experiences - you need transport though. Also, hotels are very cheap and reasonable standard. Get a good guide book and explore.

However, if your scene is seedy bars and bright lights I would give it a miss. :o