Macintosh Osx + True Service = Disaster?

DavidBrook

I use OSX and have found that for a very long time, I cannot use usenet or torrents in any meaningful way. Mostly, the throughput from my 4Mb line is less than I can and do get from my AIS EDGE connection. So I may need to rip TRUE out altogether and just use a modem - take a 20 year step backwards in technology because that seems to be the reality in Thailand.

Before I do that, does anyone get good speeds using OSX and does it have anything to do with OSX as opposed to TRUE incompetence? If you have any good technical advice, please let me know.

HELP!

D

The problem is most likely not OSX. I believe True does "shape" traffic, so if you're doing an excessive amount of usenet and torrent file downloading, True will throttle your bandwidth down during those downloads.

Have you tried using Speedtest.net? Check your speed inside of Thailand and outside of Thailand. Narrow down the problem.

Can you borrow a friends router/modem to swap in place of your own to see if there is any speed difference? Perhaps it's a router/modem problem.

Can you connect another computer to your network to test? Perhaps it's a wifi card or lan card problem.

Have you configured your torrent client and firewall to open up the ports for torrent d/ling?

Have you called True to have them come check out the line or offer an explanation? (sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn't)

The problem is most likely not OSX. I believe True does "shape" traffic, so if you're doing an excessive amount of usenet and torrent file downloading, True will throttle your bandwidth down during those downloads.

Have you tried using Speedtest.net? Check your speed inside of Thailand and outside of Thailand. Narrow down the problem.

Can you borrow a friends router/modem to swap in place of your own to see if there is any speed difference? Perhaps it's a router/modem problem.

Can you connect another computer to your network to test? Perhaps it's a wifi card or lan card problem.

Have you configured your torrent client and firewall to open up the ports for torrent d/ling?

Have you called True to have them come check out the line or offer an explanation? (sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn't)

If you run a Google search on "DiffProbe" you can find some program to test traffic has been shaped or not.

Yes, did that twice. Lats time they said the router was sitting on the TV box so it was getting too hot.

The fight went out of me about then...

D

Hi.

I don't know about Mac OSX however for torrents to work properly you need to specify a port in your torrent software (i guess you use Transmission?) and then "forward" that port in your router. If you keep your torrent software on the standard "randomize port" setting it won't work right.

Same goes for usenet clients, you must forward their respective port in the router.

Check www.portforward.com for instructions for your router model.

In case that has been done and it is still not working then you may have to either specifically allow said ports and/or said programs through any firewall that might be part of OSX.

True do not shape bandwidth, i am using them heavily and have no issues (using Ubuntu Linux and a router).

Best regards.....

Thanh

Hi.

I don't know about Mac OSX however for torrents to work properly you need to specify a port in your torrent software (i guess you use Transmission?) and then "forward" that port in your router. If you keep your torrent software on the standard "randomize port" setting it won't work right.

Same goes for usenet clients, you must forward their respective port in the router.

Check www.portforward.com for instructions for your router model.

In case that has been done and it is still not working then you may have to either specifically allow said ports and/or said programs through any firewall that might be part of OSX.

True do not shape bandwidth, i am using them heavily and have no issues (using Ubuntu Linux and a router).

Best regards.....

Thanh

Cheers, did all that and changed routers so I tested on 2. The HuaWei MT880 router and the Zyxel P660. Port forwarding appears to have made a big difference to the upload speed oddly enough, but bugger all to the download speed. My newsgroup service did a traceroute and found big bottlenecks inside the TRUE network, same as I did. No point telling TRUE again though, they aren't listening.

D