2.5 Mtr King Cobra Has Moved In Under House

What's the big deal about killing a snake?

I killed a snake in my back yard and used the skin on a walking stick I made. Everyone thinks it's cool.

It's not like you are wiping out an entire ecosystem or an endangered species.

If people can hunt animals, I see no reason why you can't kill a snake here and there.

Very sensible reply. Nothing beautiful about a creature that will take you out when you step anywhere near it . Just watch some of the snake bite shows on Tely and see the permanent damage done to human tissue if you get to live of course. Is the cobra an endangered species here? Roast cobra now thats something I would die to try just once

I'm with you two on this. I mean, if I had the means to quickly kill a 2.5m cobra lurking to close to my home I would certainly do it. He'd do the same to me given the chance. Since I don't, I'd just call that snake guy once I got tired of running like hel_l.

That said, if anyone happens to kill one and wants to have a BBQ, count me in. I'll bring some drinks.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I killed a snake in my back yard and used the skin on a walking stick I made. Everyone thinks it's cool.

If people can hunt animals, I see no reason why you can't kill a snake here and there.

Very sensible reply. Nothing beautiful about a creature that will take you out when you step anywhere near it . Just watch some of the snake bite shows on Tely and see the permanent damage done to human tissue if you get to live of course. Is the cobra an endangered species here? Roast cobra now thats something I would die to try just once

I'm with you two on this. I mean, if I had the means to quickly kill a 2.5m cobra lurking to close to my home I would certainly do it. He'd do the same to me given the chance. Since I don't, I'd just call that snake guy once I got tired of running like hel_l.

That said, if anyone happens to kill one and wants to have a BBQ, count me in. I'll bring some drinks.

OK I'll bite (excuse the pun)! There seems to a mindset amongst many people that if a creature is somewhat frightening then it must be killed. Snakes, sharks ,crocs etc.

Not much hope trying to educate the locals who will eat/kill anything that moves when the "educated' ones have this attitude. :)

OK I'll bite (excuse the pun)! There seems to a mindset amongst many people that if a creature is somewhat frightening then it must be killed. Snakes, sharks ,crocs etc.

Not much hope trying to educate the locals who will eat/kill anything that moves when the "educated' ones have this attitude. :)

Seeing a snake out in a field (or perhaps hunting one down) and doing damage to it and considering killing one that's moved in under your house and could potentially maim or kill you if you unintentionally get too close to it are two VERY different things.

:)

That one Line blows your arguement out of the water... :D

He wouldn't kill you " given the chance ", he'd only strike if he thouht you were a Food source or if he felt threatened..

As mentioned previously, no recorded deaths by KC's in Thailand so it seems as if " given the chance " they don't actually kill people.. :D

if you saw it slithering under the house it does by far not mean that it also stays there, have you seen it frequently?

once these creatures realize that they aren't alone, that there is movement, they usually take off!

We are NOT in their food chain, usually they don't bother much to get in contact with us.... had encountered several on our premises, including a yellow banded krait....brown cobra...

i found a cobra behinde my telly stand. don't know how long it had been there but i killed it all the same. it was in my bed room.

then straight after i found another 1 outside. that 1 got away

if you saw it slithering under the house it does by far not mean that it also stays there, have you seen it frequently?

once these creatures realize that they aren't alone, that there is movement, they usually take off!

We are NOT in their food chain, usually they don't bother much to get in contact with us.... had encountered several on our premises, including a yellow banded krait....brown cobra...

i found a cobra behinde my telly stand. don't know how long it had been there but i killed it all the same. it was in my bed room.

then straight after i found another 1 outside. that 1 got away

Well done! It must have taken a lot of skill and courage!

MSingh:
i don't try to kill anything, nothing to do with Religion but just out of respect for a living breathing Animal that inhabits the Earth & has as much right to do so as i have, whether it's a Snake, Toad, Dog, Cat or whatever..

That's all very "flower-childish," but I consider myself fairly high up on the evolutionary order and as such, I understand that only humans have "rights."

I don't advocate killing animals for the sake of killing, although hunting is often just that. Currently, I am making a few custom walking sticks and am in need of a nice, colorful snake for its skin. Otherwise I would be more interested in picking up and playing with a snake than killing it.

By the way, are the slender, green snakes you see in the trees poisonous? Anyone know the name?

post-18548-1244639365_thumb.jpg

...and no, I didn't kill it; just let him do his thing.

Mark its a Golden Tree Snake And yes it is Mildly Poisonous not deadly nevertheless poisonous If he bites best to get medical attention

I sprayed this one with Mossie Spray and he went on his way Wife wanted it Dead Not me Live and let Live

I think leave them alone and they will leave You alone

Fail in your fist attemt to kill it It gets aggresive Then you have a problem

post-53881-1244698931_thumb.jpg

Mark its a Golden Tree Snake And yes it is Mildly Poisonous not deadly nevertheless poisonous If he bites best to get medical attention

Don't play with those things either- they can jump really far and fast (as I found out to my peril- I was lucky not to get bitten, but it would have served me right as I got too close in an effort to get a better look at the thing and it lunged at me and hit me in the shoulder :) ).

Don't play with those things either- they can jump really far and fast (as I found out to my peril- I was lucky not to get bitten, but it would have served me right as I got too close in an effort to get a better look at the thing and it lunged at me and hit me in the shoulder :) ).

I caught one a couple of weeks ago and put him in a towel to move him to a safer place. His fangs went through the towel and would certainly have penetrated the skin but I have never heard of anyone needing hospital treatment, although not a bad idea.

if bitten you would need to be sure it was a treesnake and not another type such as a small pit viper which is v. dangerous.

By the way, the Golden tree snake is in the species of "flying snakes" in that they can flatten their bodies and glide from tree to tree.

Good job the KC doesn't have that ability!!

If it is a King Cobra, it will not be aggressive. It will certainly bite and can kill you easily if aggravated, BUT, there is not a single documented case in Thailand of anyone being killed by a King Cobra bite even though many people have been bitten. Apparently they realize that a person is too big to eat so they save their venom.

Where do you get that from? try telling it to the family of the Thai Snake man>>>

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/3560901.stm

I've had one of those small green ones appear around the cables and clocks of my bike when I was doing about 40. I guess he must have originally been lured by the warmth of the engine when I parked up, but when I started again it got a bit hot for him/her. So what did I do. bloody panicked of course. Managed to slow down enough and he jumped off.

He wouldn't kill you " given the chance ", he'd only strike if he thouht you were a Food source or if he felt threatened..

As mentioned previously, no recorded deaths by KC's in Thailand so it seems as if " given the chance " they don't actually kill people.. :D

Nothing blown out of the water here. The problem is that you think you're just peacefully walking home minding your own business and you accidentally step on a "beautiful creature" which thinks you're attacking it so it bites you. Then whatever the number of reported deaths is, it will be increased by one. BTW - I don't believe the made-up stat of zero deaths for one second. Is there anyway to tell the difference between King Cobra venom and that of other cobras? If so, does anyone really believe that here in Thailand they would bother running tests on a dead farmer bitten by snake.

Nothing blown out of the water here. The problem is that you think you're just peacefully walking home minding your own business and you accidentally step on a "beautiful creature" which thinks you're attacking it so it bites you. Then whatever the number of reported deaths is, it will be increased by one. BTW - I don't believe the made-up stat of zero deaths for one second. Is there anyway to tell the difference between King Cobra venom and that of other cobras? If so, does anyone really believe that here in Thailand they would bother running tests on a dead farmer bitten by snake.

You said that it would Kill you given the chance, i replied by using the Fact that there have been no reported cases of a KC killing anyone in Thailand so on that basis, your comment is blown out of the water, as i said.. :D

Find me a Report of a KC killing someone here in Thailand to back up yur claim & then we can debate a little more.. :D

PS : For what it's worth, i'm only being pedantic i'm sure they have killed people here in Thailand & agree with your point about the Farmer but 99% will be away from you when they feel the vibrations of your Foot Steps anyway.. :D

MSingh:
i don't try to kill anything, nothing to do with Religion but just out of respect for a living breathing Animal that inhabits the Earth & has as much right to do so as i have, whether it's a Snake, Toad, Dog, Cat or whatever..

That's all very "flower-childish," but I consider myself fairly high up on the evolutionary order and as such, I understand that only humans have "rights."

I don't advocate killing animals for the sake of killing, although hunting is often just that. Currently, I am making a few custom walking sticks and am in need of a nice, colorful snake for its skin. Otherwise I would be more interested in picking up and playing with a snake than killing it.

By the way, are the slender, green snakes you see in the trees poisonous? Anyone know the name?

I sprayed this one with Mossie Spray and he went on his way Wife wanted it Dead Not me Live and let Live

There are green pit vipers here that climb in the trees. They are agressive and are very poisonous. Stay away from any green snake to be safe.

The golden tree snake (Chrysopelea ornata) is NOT poisonous. It belongs to the 'Flying snakes' genus Chrysopelea of which there are 3 species. :D

If you kill a Mr Snake then doesn't a Mrs Snake come back at some point somewhat miffed and look to take it out on someone? Dunno how that works if Mr Snake gets taken away somewhere else.... maybe Mrs Snake assumes he's run off with another snake.

We had a cobra appear at our gaff once and my Missus's brother saw it off with a broom and never saw it again. You want to be careful in the grass when it rains was the local advise i recieved on the matter.

well like they say. never trust a snake

Opened up the house this morning and saw another big, beautiful snake skin next to the steps leading up to the door of the house. Around 2.5 metres long. This is the third one I have found in the garden. A little later the Mrs was going for some som tam when she let out a scream. :D The owner of the skin was slithering under a gap under the house. From the pictures on the net it appears to be a king cobra.

Now I am all for live and let live. Wikipedia tells me they are very venomous but I want to know whether they are aggressive or not? If I leave him alone will he do the same ? Are they active during the day or night ? I don't want to be staggering back home drunk and step on hissing Sid.

Cheers all :)

To get back to Duncs' question

For all snake lovers and haters out there. There is an excellent little book which is very useful for identifying and determining which snakes and reptiles are best avoided...

It is available in most bookshops and is called "A Photographic guide to Snakes and other reptiles of Thailand and South East Asia" Costs about 400 Baht.

If you're staying here for any length of time it's a worthwhile investment.

Gator :D

So my snake is a green pit viper and very poisonous or a golden tree snake, which is either mildly poisonous or not poisonous at all.

I guess the only way to really know is to let it bite me.

I'll post the result.

By the way, I see photos online of Chrysopelea ornata where it is being held in someone's hand. The picture was taken, obviously, before they were fatally bitten....

Edited by Mark Wolfe

So my snake is a green pit viper and very poisonous or a golden tree snake, which is either mildly poisonous or not poisonous at all.

I guess the only way to really know is to let it bite me.

I'll post the result.

Maybe you won't!! :)

P.S. Not sure but I think that Nathon hospital is the only hospital which has snake treatmenton the island.

For all snake lovers and haters out there.

I don't hate snakes at all. I just don't trust them. Imagine where we would all be today if Eve didn't trust them either? :)

Never thought of that, maybe we wouldn't have Thaivisa. :D

MSingh:

these green snakes are venomous but.... apparently like a bee sting according to my snake charming mate...known as tree snake locally

Edited by tkblueyonder

MSingh:

It might look like a tree snake but it could also be a pit viper.

Won't die but the poison definately swells and wound is painful.

Definately not a green whip snake which I am 100% sure would be safe.

Best to give Phil a call at Snake Rescue. Used to be on 0896635085. Then the snake can live and you won't have to worry.

Cheers.

PS. Hope it's ok to post his number on here considering it cannot be regarded as advertising.

Good idea to call snake rescue. Try not kill it as they are beautiful creatures. They are aggressive and very poisonous. I think the King can also spit venom a fair distance.

On the plus side you shouldn't be bothered with rats while he is around.

Does not spit and its diet primarily consists of other snakes.

Your right, but my info says to treat all Cobras as "spitters" the venom they spray can temporary blind you at 6ft away.

A point to ponder...Perhaps your Sid might be a Mrs Sid looking for somewhere to lay her 20 plus eggs!

Hope you get him/her safely away.

Spitting cobras live mainly in Africa, not Asia. The spitting cobras in Asia are extremely rare.

They are however aggressive and you don't want to play around with them as this is how people get bit.

If it's a viper that's just as bad. In either case you need to let a professional handle moving the snake.

if its a King I believe its in the endangered species category..very few left in the wild and difficult to find..you must live in a rural area?!

Call the snake guy.

If it is a King Cobra, it will not be aggressive. It will certainly bite and can kill you easily if aggravated, BUT, there is not a single documented case in Thailand of anyone being killed by a King Cobra bite even though many people have been bitten. Apparently they realize that a person is too big to eat so they save their venom.

Is that right ??

I wouldn't like to put it to the test. Not being documented does not really mean anything since many of those bitten

may not have hung around long enough (in this world or the next) to identify which of the 4/5 possible varieties was the culprit.

In any case it has been documented that a KC bit an elephant on the foot. The elephant died. Seems to me that

with the amount of neurotoxin a KC can deliver that it would be highly dangerous to assume that because you are not on the lunch list that

it is going to ration out the venom. :)