Aussie Visas - Thank You To The Forum

Quick intro to say thanks to the forum. Previously I've only been a lurker, brousing this forum for advice and info., and it has been invaluable.

I met my Thai girlfriend, Nongklak, back in Feb 2006, and continued to visit her while coming to Thailand to continue Dental treatment. By September that year we had decided to applying for a Tourist visa for her, and I found this site.

Our first application was in November 2006 - I went to Bangkok to assist with the application - and it was approved in 3 days. We were given a 12-months multiple entry visa after 3 days, and Nonglak came to Perth for the first time when I returned on 28th Nov. She had 5-6 trips, the last one arriving in Nov 2007, a few days before the visa expired, and stayed to mid Feb 2008.

I went to Bangkok again in May - June 2008 - I was a held back by work commitments a little - and we applied for and were given a 3 month single entry Tourist visa, which Nonlak used from - June to September 2008.

On arriving back in Bangkok, she made another application for a Tourist Visa without my knowledge, or input and was refused.

Luckily, I was able to resolve this, and may another application for a 3-month Tourist visa in Nov 2008, stating that the next application would be for a Partner visa. This was again granted, and Nonglak was here from Nov 2008 to Feb 2009.

Again I started to brouse the forum, while researching Partner Visas. We had decided to apply for a Defacto spouse visa, and I went to Bangkok April 2009 to submit the application. Put it in on 7th May, Nonglak was informed (12th May) of interview on 20th May. All good, no more documents requirred, and was told to wait 2-3 months, as defacto applications weren't as usual as marriage applications.

We were told she had the visa last Thursday 4th June, ( 4 weeks after application!), and she will arrive here in Perth on Saturday 13th.

Once again, THANK YOU for this forum, most of all to the regular seniors who provide so much valuable support and answers to the diverse enquiries.

To any newbies, stick with it and read as much as you can here. Good Luck to All.

Pomeperth

Congratulations on your successes!

Seems to me like you must have had well prepared applications to have achieved all this, 3 tourist visas and a de-facto. Could you please describe the evidence that you supplied for your de-facto visa, and any other things that you think may have helped (Ie: I would imagine you have been in touch with your girlfriend for several years or more).

It is my understanding that a de-facto spouse visa is pretty hard to get, and evidence if cohabiting of at least 12 continuous months is needed. Going by your past tourist visa history this does not seem to have happened...What do you think were the main reasons you were granted the de-facto?

Basically this would be the next step for me and my girlfriend, and neither of us think we are ready for marriage, therefore de-facto would suit us better.

All help appreciated..

Seems to me like you must have had well prepared applications to have achieved all this, 3 tourist visas and a de-facto. Could you please describe the evidence that you supplied for your de-facto visa, and any other things that you think may have helped

You have probably already read up on de-facto visas, if not you might find this fact sheet helpful

http://www.immi.gov.au/media/fact-sheets/35relationship.htm

Congratulations on your successes!

Seems to me like you must have had well prepared applications to have achieved all this, 3 tourist visas and a de-facto. Could you please describe the evidence that you supplied for your de-facto visa, and any other things that you think may have helped (Ie: I would imagine you have been in touch with your girlfriend for several years or more).

It is my understanding that a de-facto spouse visa is pretty hard to get, and evidence if cohabiting of at least 12 continuous months is needed. Going by your past tourist visa history this does not seem to have happened...What do you think were the main reasons you were granted the de-facto?

Basically this would be the next step for me and my girlfriend, and neither of us think we are ready for marriage, therefore de-facto would suit us better.

All help appreciated..

Quick answer before work.

I think that the de-facto route maybe not as difficult as some people may think. I actually have a friend who applied, on the advise of the local immigration office here in Perth, while in the 11th month of his girlfriends 12 month tourist visa here in Perth. She was awarded a further stay visa while their application was completed here, and approved.

In our case, obviously al the evidence from all our previous Tourist Visa applications, proof of a joint bank account that we have had since her first visit. Details of her visits dates and mine to Thailand stating that we had spend as much time together as possible with regards to visas and my business contracts here in Perth.

Some good references and stat decs from a cross section of friends and neighbours - I have no adult family in Australia.

Proof of income, bank statements, up to date tax info, and letters/ purchase orders for future works - proving that I am able to support her, same as for our Tourist Visas.

Maybe we were lucky, but so was my mate who had only lived with his girlfriend for 11 months, and still got their defacto here in Perth, without having to leave the country again!

Once again, read and prepare. If you get the 12 month multiple entry Tourist Visa, this may be an option that people can take.

Good Luck to all, Pomeperth