Slang กันหมากัด

oldsparrow

The slang กันหมากัด (Prevent the dog bite) mean you do or possess something that is not really useful but it help you to in order to prevent/achieve certain effect, mostly unofficial one.

"ผมไปเรียนภาคค่ำเพื่อเอาปริญญามากันหมากัดไปงั้นเอง" = I go to the evening class in order to obtain degree for กันหมากัด (get the degree to gain respect, promotion etc. not the knowledge)

"เขาชอบพกนามบัตรผู้ใหญ่เอาไว้โชว์กันหมากัด" = He like to pack the VIP's name cards to show off for กันหมากัด

PS: I thought of this slang reading the thread asking about master degree graduate..

I've never heard that slang in my whole life I'm 100% Thai and graduated Thai degree..where were that slang from ?

Thai is an evolving language. I haven't heard of แอ๊บแบ๊ว 10 years ago.

Oldsparrow, I would say "กันหมากัด" is a bit antagonising. The word "กัด" can mean critically saying something about a person, mainly because of his/her inferiority. When you directed "หมากัด" to a particular person, it means you want to make sure people know that he/she had something against you.

Don't think you want to use the expression most of the time though.

I've never heard that slang in my whole life I'm 100% Thai and graduated Thai degree..where were that slang from ?
Thai is an evolving language. I haven't heard of แอ๊บแบ๊ว 10 years ago. Oldsparrow, I would say "กันหมากัด" is a bit antagonising. The word "กัด" can mean critically saying something about a person, mainly because of his/her inferiority. When you directed "หมากัด" to a particular person, it means you want to make sure people know that he/she had something against you. Don't think you want to use the expression most of the time though.

ํำYes, not for a pleasant situation indeed, it's mostly used for corruption/extortion. However, as a flexible local I myself don't have much worry. :)