Australian Government Cash Handout

Xangsamhua

The Australian government recently agreed to grant an amount of money to taxpayers to help boost domestic spending. I think this grant has already been disbursed.

I didn't take much notice of it as I'm here in LOS. However, a family friend has said overseas Australians are eligible if they are taxpayers.

Does anyone in this forum know about the eligibility criteria or where further information may be obtained?

yes you can get it as long you filled in a tax return for 2007-2008

.......AND you meet the required criteria.....which is explained on the ATO website.

Edited by Thai Chi

.......AND you meet the required criteria.....which is explained on the ATO website.
you are correct I never looked at the website since I am to long away and never filled in a tax return for a number of years

Thanks fred2007. Are the application forms available on the net?

....I am pretty sure you do not have to apply for this "handout".

If you have an entitlement, it will be paid directly to you.

Have a look at the ATO website, which includes the following......

Am I eligible?

Your eligibility and the amount you are paid is based on your individual 2007-08 tax return.

You are eligible to receive the payment if:

your 2007-08 taxable income did not exceed $100,000

your adjusted tax liability for 2007-08 was greater than zero

you were an Australian resident for tax purposes during the 2007-08 financial year, and

you lodge your 2007-08 tax return by 30 June 2009 or by the deferred date granted to you by the Tax Office.

Thanks fred2007. Are the application forms available on the net?

....I am pretty sure you do not have to apply for this "handout".

If you have an entitlement, it will be paid directly to you.

Have a look at the ATO website, which includes the following......

Am I eligible?

Your eligibility and the amount you are paid is based on your individual 2007-08 tax return.

You are eligible to receive the payment if:

your 2007-08 taxable income did not exceed $100,000

your adjusted tax liability for 2007-08 was greater than zero

you were an Australian resident for tax purposes during the 2007-08 financial year, and

you lodge your 2007-08 tax return by 30 June 2009 or by the deferred date granted to you by the Tax Office.

Thank you. Yes, I've discovered that just submitting a tax return does not make you eligible unless you have a tax liability. :)

super co-contribution on the other hand....has no residency test. Nor is your overseas income assessable as part of the means test.

Contribute $1000 to your super, the govt will match with $1500. Submit a tax return in Australia, and they do the rest.

Edited by samran

How much are they offering?

I haven't submitted a tax return since 1999 and going on the above criteria I am certainly not entitled to this handout.

However, one must consider the amount being offered vs becoming invloved with the ATO again.

If it is a palty sum then what would be the point?

I haven't submitted a tax return since 1999 and going on the above criteria I am certainly not entitled to this handout.

However, one must consider the amount being offered vs becoming invloved with the ATO again.

$900 I believe ,we poor old pensioners got $1400. :)

I think if you are still classed and an Australian resident and still submitting Australia tax returns, you are eligible to receive government bonuses and payments.

Non-Residents, not submitting tax returns - no chance.

thats the maximum

those earning 80,000 or less a year get $900

those who earn between 80k to 90k get less

those earning between 90 to 100k get some amount too, but less than the first 2

(I forget the exact amount)

prior to that they gave out grants to:

pensioners and families

the idea is to get these 2 groups to spend the money

to me that logic is totally silly.

if you want people to spend 'bonus' money: give it to the single under 25, who have no long term financial commitment, and are savvy consumers. doesnt take an expert to work that one out. I really wonder who advised the Rudd government on that tactic.

seriously, how many 2 income earners with 3 children growing up and a 30 year mortgage are about to splurge their 'free' money?

or the 68 year old pensioner living by him/herself in an aged care facility?

i see it as more of a political gimmick targeted at their political supporters, rather than to do with achieving maximum stimulus to the economy.

(sorry somewhat off topic towards the end there) :D

I got both, a total of $2,300. :D

$900 I believe ,we poor old pensioners got $1400. :D

thats the maximum

pensioners and families

if you want people to spend 'bonus' money: give it to the single under 25, who have no long term financial commitment, and are savvy consumers. doesnt take an expert to work that one out. I really wonder who advised the Rudd government on that tactic.

seriously, how many 2 income earners with 3 children growing up and a 30 year mortgage are about to splurge their 'free' money?

i see it as more of a political gimmick targeted at their political supporters, rather than to do with achieving maximum stimulus to the economy.

Interesting thoughts Mig.

Give the money to young wasters because they would, erm, waste the money, thus stimulating the economy.

After all anyone on a pension is in an aged care facility and unable to spend the money. :D

And people with kids and mortgages wouldn't spend the money either?!!! :D

Yes, don't give it to people who have paid taxes all their lives and some of whom are now trying to make ends meet on a pathetically low pension.

The two lots of stimulis money were dispensed by Centrelink (to pensioners) and by ATO (to all taxpayers)

How would you suggest the money be given out to people under 25? Perhaps Meyers could dispense it to anyone who produces proof of age, receipts of purchases of shoes, makeup and handbags, and a current stamp on the wrist from a trendy nightclub?

:)

thats the maximum

pensioners and families

(sorry somewhat off topic towards the end there) :D

Yup, agree. Should have given us allllll the money :D I'd have splurged it, hel_l i splurge constantly anyway.